Vigil by Lemon Curd
Summary: After being attacked by Quirrell/Voldemort, Harry wakes up earlier than expected and overhears a conversation between Dumbledore and Snape.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 490 Read: 1598 Published: 13 May 2020 Updated: 13 May 2020
Chapter 1 by Lemon Curd
Harry woke to the sound of voices. Intuitively, he kept his eyes closed. It was always better no one knew you were awake.

“That is a harsh accusation, Severus. How could I have known Harry would try to find the stone?” Dumbledore.

“I have no idea how you knew, but you must have. Devil’s snare and flying keys – the protections you had us put in place were ridiculous.” Snape.

Steps resounding on the stone floor. “To catch poor Quirinus red-handed, as I told you. He is good with trolls, but scarcely anything else.”

“I may not be as – as much of a genius as you, but it is obvious in retrospect you had this all planned out. What is your plan? To make Potter as full of himself as his father was? Giving him his own broom is plenty enough for that. Or have you changed your mind? Do you want to get him killed? It sure looks like it.” Snape was almost yelling now.

Robes dragging over the flagstones. “Poppy assured me Harry is well on the mend.”

Who was Poppy? Whoever she was, she was right, Harry was feeling pretty good.

“He could be in his dormitory, completely unharmed, if you had but let me fill all the bottles with sleeping draught. Not to mention putting a decent locking charm on the door.”

“That would have been unsportsmanlike.”

Dumbledore sounded as if he was enjoying himself immensely.

“Unsportsmanlike? Are you even listening to yourself? Three children could have died!”

Since when did Snape care about that?

“Yet they did not.”

“If you are going to be like this, I will not protect the boy any longer.”

“Careful, Severus.” Dumbledore’s voice was sharp all of a sudden. “Be mindful of who might be listening.”

Suddenly, the room was very, very quiet. Harry took care to breathe slowly as if he was sleeping. He had perfected that art with the Dursleys.

“It is not exactly a secret that you asked me to keep an eye on the boy.” Snape said at last. “And I will not continue doing it if you continue to recklessly endanger him. It would be futile.”

“Extortion, Severus? Really? We both know you are bound by more than just your word to me”, Dumbledore replied mildly.

“Do I ever know it. Make no mistake. If you stretch my patience too far ... I just might ... leave. Your hold on me, is, ultimately ... finite.”

“Severus!”

“There is preciously little to keep me from just going gently into that good night. As you know all too well.”

“Preciously little, but still, there is something.” Dumbledore sighed. “Very well. I shall endeavour to not stretch your patience anymore. Will you join me for a cup of tea in my rooms?”

“No.”

“Then I will leave you to your vigil. Goodnight, Severus.”

“I am not -”

The door fell closed.

Snape cursed under his breath.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3577