When Dreams Come True by LilPadfoot16
Summary: With Harry's knowledge of the Horcruxes it is clear that he has quite a job to do. But are they the only way to destroy Voldemort? A gift from the dead, strange new powers, and more await Harry in this re-write of When Dreams Come True.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Mystery, General, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Suicide Themes, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 12035 Read: 23996 Published: 18 Oct 2005 Updated: 28 Jun 2006
Encounters by LilPadfoot16
Author's Notes:
This may not seem to particularly fit in the guardian category right now, but I promise that eventually, it will. It's just going to take a bit to work that out, but I do have an idea in mind of what's going to happen with Harry and Snape.

Harry stared moodily out the window of his bedroom at number four, Privet Drive. He wanted to leave already, though he had only been there a few days, but Lupin had convinced him to stay a while longer.

Lupin had begun writing him upon his return to Privet Drive and had become a sort of confidant. Harry had told Lupin of his plans to not return to Hogwarts and to go to Godric's Hollow. Lupin had been trying to talk him out of it, but he was determined to not go back. He had a mission to complete, and that was his first priority.

Ron and Hermione had both written him, though he hadn't written back. Both letters lay unopened on his desk. He knew they would only be pleas to rethink his decision and go to the Burrow or Hogwarts with them. He knew he wouldn't really need them; in the end, it would just be him and Voldemort, no one else.

As he stared out the window, he caught sight of some bushes rustling. Probably just an Order member, he thought mournfully. Suddenly, he heard a loud crack and spun around, his wand aimed and ready in seconds. He lowered it, however, when he saw that it was Lupin.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I was sent to see if you would consent to at least going to the Burrow for the wedding," said Lupin. "Ron and Hermione both invited you, but they said they hadn't gotten a reply."

"Oh," said Harry. "I didn't feel like opening their letters."

"Well, if you'd prefer to stay here, you could just go to the Burrow for a few days, then return here," suggested Lupin.

Harry thought for a moment. Going to the Burrow for only a few days wouldn't mess up his plans. "I'll go,' he said, "but I'm coming back afterwards.'

"Okay," said Lupin. "I'll be back to take you there the day after tomorrow, about this time, all right?"

"Sure," agreed Harry.

"Now, I must be going. Tonight's the full moon and I must go pick up my Wolfsbane," said Lupin and Disapparated.

Harry resumed staring out the window. The wedding didn't really interest him, but he would go for Ron and Hermione. That way he could tell them both goodbye and leave without them trying to follow him to Godric's Hollow.

He caught sight of a bird flying in the distance and as it grew closer, he realized that it was an owl. he moved aside to let it in . The owl flew inside and deposited a thick envelope on his desk before quickly flying away again.

Who would possibly be sending him a letter now? Curiously he picked up the envelope and ripped it open. He pulled out a sheet of parchment and looked at the unfamiliar handwriting.

Harry Potter,

I see you have managed to elude capture once more. If they had been smart, my fellows would have captured you as well as destroying that pathetic Muggle-loving fool. Are you missing him? You'll only lose more friends, so you might as well get used to it. My Lord plans on saving your death for last. All of your pathetic friends will die before you.

Oh yes, my Lord has sent a gift. It's in the envelope.

Enjoy,

Bellatrix Lestrange

Harry set the letter down and picked up the envelope, curious about what Voldemort had sent him. He tipped the envelope over and shook it.

A small cloud of dust appeared and Harry sneezed violently. When he opened his eyes a silver chain with a tiny dragon charm lay amidst a small pile of fine gray powder. Wondering why Voldemort would have sent him a necklace, he quickly wrote a letter to McGonagall, since he didn't know who else he could contact.

Dear Professor,

I got a letter from Bellatrix Lestrange with a necklace from Voldemort. What should I do with it?

Harry Potter

Harry sent the letter off with Hedwig. he watched her fly off, then wandered over to look at the necklace again. He didn't touch it, as it might be a Portkey. What was Voldemort up to now?

His scar burned slightly and he sat down on his bed. "He's happy," he murmured softly. The pain from his scar began to give him a headache, so he lay down and quickly fell asleep.

He was awoken some time later by Hedwig gently nipping his ear. "I'm up, Hedwig," said Harry. Hedwig flew over to his desk and began hooting loudly. Harry got up to see what she wanted and saw that the necklace was gone. In its place was a folded piece of parchment. He unfolded it and began to read.

Mr. Potter,

I have taken the necklace for further study. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious and I will see you in two days.

Professor McGonagall

So that's where the necklace had gone. Why had Voldemort sent it to him? If it wasn't a Portkey, then what was the point of sending the necklace to him? Shaking his head, he checked his watch and saw that it was time for dinner. He headed downstairs, but caught one whiff of whatever his aunt was cooking and felt nauseous. He went back up to his room crawled into bed, where he tried to calm his feelings of sickness. The feeling only got worse, but Harry was spared by sleep.

~*~*~

"Should we wake him up?"

"I don't know."

Where were those voices coming from? He struggled to clear his foggy mind and remember what was going on.

"Come on, Harry, wake up." He knew that voice. Lupin. Harry slowly blinked open his tired eyes and found the blurry shapes of Lupin and Tonks.

"Professor, what are you doing here? The full moon-"

"Harry, you've been unconscious for two days. Your aunt had to borrow Hedwig to write to us," said Lupin.

"Two days?" asked Harry incredulously. That wasn't possible. He shook his head to try and clear it, but only succeeded in making the room spin crazily. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back. He relaxed, ready to fall asleep, but a cool hand on his forehead jolted him out of drowsiness.

"Remus, he's burning up," said Tonks.

"We'll need to change our plans. He can't go to the Burrow in this condition," said Lupin. "We'll have to go to plan B."

Even in his weakened state, Harry knew what they meant. Hogwarts.

"No, not Hogwarts," he murmured.

"Shh, Harry," said Tonks softly. "We're going to take you to get some help."

He felt something soft pressed against his arm and then the sickening spinning sensation of Portkey travel. He landed on a hard floor on his knees and tumbled forwards, unable to hold himself up.

"Harry, are you all right?" asked Lupin.

"M'fine," he mumbled as he lay on the cold floor. It felt good to his overly-warm body.

"Harry, can you stand?' asked Lupin.

"M'fine," he repeated. He felt hands wrap around his arms and felt a burning sensation run through his stomach and head. "No," he cried. "Don't touch me."

"It's all right, Harry. Calm down."

"No! Let go!" he demanded and tried to fight the hands. Exhaustion won out, however, and Harry quickly tumbled into darkness.

~*~*~

When Harry woke again, he was in a small room, laying on a bed He fumbled for a moment looking for his glasses and when he put them on, he saw Tonks standing in a corner of the room, doing something.

"Wotcher, Harry," she said cheerfully, but Harry could tell she was worried.

"Where are we?" he asked. He could swear he remembered something about going to Hogwarts.

"Well, Harry, you won't like it, but we had to-"

"No, I don't want to be here!"

"Harry, you have to calm down. You've been very sick, and you need to be-"

"No, I want to go back! Take me back!"

"Harry, just settle down. I'll get Remus," said Tonks firmly.

Harry frowned, but obeyed. Tonks left the room, leaving the door half-open behind her. Several minutes later, he heard a gasp, followed by "Expelliarmus!"

Harry climbed out of bed and walked unsteadily out to the hallway, where Lupin had Tonks at wand point and had her wand in his left hand.

"Professor, what are you doing?" asked Harry.

Lupin smiled. "Obeying my Master," he said with obvious glee.

Harry slowly reached for his wand. This man wasn't Lupin.

"Expelliarmus!" said "Lupin" and Harry's wand flew out of his pocket. Harry lunged for it, but it slipped out of his fingers and he landed hard on his right foot. He gasped in pain and tumbled to the floor. As "Lupin" advanced on his, Harry saw Tonks, who had apparently been forgotten, sneaking up behind "Lupin." Harry heard soft creak and "Lupin" spun around.

Within seconds, Tonks had been stunned and lay unconscious on the floor. Harry struggled to his feet, trying to put as little weight as possible on his injured foot. Harry gasped in shock as Lupin's dark brown hair began to lengthen and lighten.

Harry narrowed his eyes and hissed, "Malfoy."

Lucius smirked. "Took you long enough to figure it out, didn't it? That does not matter, though. Your precious werewolf will be dead soon and you will be wishing for death."

"Where is he?" demanded Harry.

"What does it matter? He will be dead shortly."

Silver. "Silver," Harry whispered.

"Ah, so you were smart enough to figure it out," said Lucius. "He will die, and you can't do a thing to save him, just as you couldn't save your precious godfather or that Muggle-loving fool."

Harry heard a soft pop behind him and spun as fast as he could with his injured foot, but stumbled and toppled to the floor. He winced in pain and looked up to see someone dressed all in black advancing on Lucius.

"Potter, look out!" the person hissed and Harry dragged himself to the side, but not quick enough to escape a cloud of fine gray powder. He coughed and sneezed violently as he tried to rub the dust out of his eyes. When his vision cleared, he saw Lucius bound tightly with ropes.

The stranger walked over to him and asked, "Are you all right?"

"No, my foot-"

"I'll take you to St. Mungo's, but let me get the werewolf first," said the stranger.

"All right," said Harry. He closed his eyes and leaned against the wall. Even with his eyes closed, he still felt as though he was being sucked into a dizzying whirlpool. He moaned softly before allowing himself to succumb to the darkness.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Next Chapter: Return to Grimmauld Place


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1039