Harry Potter and the Pillar of Storge by Mirriam Q Webster
Summary: Sequel to Harry Potter and the Long Summer. School is back in session and it's another exciting year at Hogwarts, but questions abound. Will Harry and Severus be able to continue to get along? And more pressingly, what is Malfoy up to? AU!
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Harry Potter and the Long Summer Series
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 86300 Read: 128402 Published: 26 Nov 2005 Updated: 14 Nov 2008
Chapter 25 by Mirriam Q Webster
Author's Notes:
Just a short note here to thank everyone for their lovely and encouraging reviews! Also to say let's have a hand for my dedicated beta enb2004!

Christmas, it seemed, did not stop reality from intruding where it was not wanted. Dumbledore urged them not to let the far more serious attacks of the previous night, which Harry had not known about until that moment, spoil their Yuletide festivities. As a strategy, it failed, but as there were only a handful of students in the castle and far more staff members Harry supposed it didn’t really matter. It was however, a very subdued Christmas feast. Especially in comparison with previous years. Even the crackers seemed to be quieter and less satisfying.

All in all, Harry was pleased to escape the Great Hall and go back to considering what he should say to Moony. Maybe, he decided, it wasn’t such a bad idea to have his former professor come for a day or two. There was still quite awhile before the holiday ended, and Harry had gotten most of his work done, thanks to the spat he’d had with Snape.

Besides, it would be nice to see his old professor again. Not only was he an old friend of every real family Harry had known, he had always been kind to Harry himself.

Unlike some people.

And his wisdom and understanding could be useful in figuring out the tangle he found himself in. Yes, Harry decided. A visit was exactly what he needed.

Excitedly, Harry settled down to drafting a letter to the werewolf. It had to sound innocuous enough that it wouldn’t attract attention to the real message. Although Harry used the same code as the letter he had received, it still took some time to get the wording exactly right.

He was just returning from posting his letter in the owlery when he met Dumbledore. “Harry, my boy, I was hoping to speak to you.”

“Oh?” Harry enquired coolly.

“Yes. I would like a chance to talk to you again. Perhaps you would come up to my tower later this afternoon?”

“Has something happened?”

“No.” Dumbledore canted his head slightly to one side.

“Then I think I’d prefer not to come up, sir, unless this is about school?”

“No, Harry, it isn’t that.” Harry nodded. “I do wish you wouldn’t blame Severus. I was the one who told him not to tell you anything.”

“Yes, but he still chose to listen to you, didn’t he?”

“Harry…”

“If you’ll excuse me, headmaster, I’ve got some work to do on my holiday projects.”

The headmaster nodded, looking every moment of the well over one hundred and fifty years he was rumored to be. Harry felt a small pang. He knew he was being cold, and he was certain that the older wizard knew he was lying about his homework, occlumency or not. But he turned resolutely and headed back to Gryffindor Tower. Harry still didn’t feel like spending time with the meddling old man.

It was no time at all before Remus got Harry’s reply. Luckily, he was feeling a bit more himself than before. He tore the envelope open impatiently and scanned its contents until he was certain that Harry had responded using the same code that he had written to the youth in.

Reading the missive more closely Remus saw that Harry was eager to see him, saying that the Yuletide season was certainly a time to see family and friends, though he noticed that the teen didn’t specify which he qualified as.

That was catty, Remus chided himself. Particularly as he wasn’t exactly certain himself what his relationship with Harry qualified as. Perhaps he counted as a sort of god-uncle. Perhaps he was more fatigued than he had thought. It didn’t really matter in the long run exactly what he called his relationship with his friend’s son. What mattered was that he was there for the young man for as long as he possibly could be.

With that thought in mind Remus turned to the hearth to floo the headmaster of Hogwarts. In light of recent events, the security of the school would be heightened. It would probably be difficult for a parent to see his or her child unannounced, let alone a werewolf ex-teacher who had no clear relationship with the student. Tossing the greenish-gray powder into the flames Remus knelt and gave the direction, trying to ignore the dizzying sensation of his head being shunted through the floo network while the rest of his body stayed firmly in his run-down little apartment.

The white-bearded wizard seemed happy to see him. “Remus, my boy! Happy Christmas!”

“Happy Christmas, headmaster.”

“And how are you faring?”

“Well enough thank you. I was actually wondering if it would be all right to drop in tomorrow morning?”

“I should think so.” The older wizard blinked and asked, “Is everything all right?”

“Oh yes, I just thought that I might visit Harry. I haven’t really seen him since the summer, you know, and I just thought it might be an appropriate time to catch up with him.”

“I think that’s an excellent idea,” Dumbledore replied, eyes a-twinkle. “I’m certain he’ll be pleased to see you. Will you stay to dinner?”

“Possibly. I thought I would spend the day, but it really depends on Harry’s plans.”

“I shall look forward to seeing you tomorrow morning then. You won’t mind if I meet you at the gate, will you? Times being what they are.”

“Of course. Tomorrow morning then, say about nine?”

“An excellent suggestion.”

Remus nodded. “Good day headmaster.”

“Good day, Remus.” Remus leant back from the hearth and gazed into the flames thoughtfully. The old man had seemed very knowing there at the end. Had Severus spoken to him? Was this simply another example of Dumbledore’s omniscience? Or was it all a bluff?

Perhaps he could get some more of Albus tomorrow morning as they were walking up from the gate. Like what in the name of Merlin the old man had thought he was doing. Harry didn’t trust easily. Remus snorted to himself. That was like saying that Voldemort was bad.

Given that twinkle, Remus thought that it probably wouldn’t be too hard. It had almost sounded like the older wizard had something he wanted to tell him anyway. Which was all to the good. The more he knew about the situation, Remus told himself, the better.

In the meantime it would probably be best to send Severus a note letting him know that he was coming. He would have to send it by Return of Post, as it were, and it would need to be as tactful and polite as possible. That meant that saying, I’m coming to fix your mess, if that’s still possible, was right out. Remus sighed. Why was it that every time anything good happened, it was complicated to the point of becoming a bad thing?

The next morning Remus Apparated into a wooded glen just off the path leading up to Hogwarts. It was highly unlikely that anyone but a witch or wizard would see him if he had Apparated to the gates themselves, but it was better not to risk it. What with the recent death eater attacks the Muggles would notice suspicious activity and be more likely to report it to authorities. All of which was more hassle than the wizarding world needed.

Besides, a walk sounded like a lovely idea. It was brisk but not too cold, especially now that he had a scarf again. Remus smiled thinking about the gift. He could see Albus standing just inside the massive wrought iron gates as he approached. “I hope you haven’t been standing here long,” he called as soon as he judged that he was within earshot for anyone not a werewolf.

“No, not long. It’s such a lovely morning I thought I’d walk down here a bit early,” Dumbledore smiled at him.

Remus grinned back. It was difficult to stay mad at the cheerful headmaster as he walked up to Hogwarts. Almost like going back in time. Any second now Remus expected James and Sirius to pop out from behind a convenient tree and pelt him with snowballs. “Well, I guess your socks are coming in handy, now, aren’t they?”

“Yes, my feet are quite toasty, thank you.” Remus passed through the shadow of the statuary guarding the gates. “Your yuletide visit is rather fortuitously timed,” Dumbledore said as the younger wizard drew near. “I do not know whether you have heard or not, but Harry has been a little blue lately.”

“Oh? Why is that?” Remus asked, his voice carrying concern but sounding suspiciously flat underneath. So much for his happy reminsences.

“Well, I’m afraid he and Severus may have had a little trouble. And I am also afraid that I may have contributed to that trouble in a way that may have alienated Harry for good.”

Remus gave the man a hard look, taking his eyes off the slippery path he had been watching. “You didn’t happen to come up with this little plan, did you?”

“Ah, you have heard then.” Remus made no reply.

After another moment the headmaster continued. “Actually, I did not originate this plot, no. But I did influence it a little.”

“And Harry doesn’t appreciate it.” There was an unspoken ‘of course’ attached to the statement and it reeked of censure.

“That would be putting it rather generously. The boy is furious with me, I fear, and with Severus as well. He even seems to have passed out leaving my tower after discussing it. Whether his loss of consciousness is a direct result of my ‘meddling,’ as Minerva put it, Poppy couldn’t say.”

“Harry passed out?” Remus asked, shocked.

“It seems so,” a slight crease in his forehead belying the apparent serenity of his visage. “Hmmm.” Remus’s sigh was nearly a growl.

“Yes, a rather difficult situation. I do hope you can find some way of reconciling it.”

Remus cast him a disbelieving look. “I highly doubt that I’m going to be able to wave my wand and make everything right again. Based on what I’ve heard, difficult seems to be an understatement. And it’s all up to Harry, don’t forget. I can try to explain, but I can’t make him like you. Actually, I’m not even sure at this moment whether he ought to.”

Dumbledore gave Remus a sad look. “I really was trying to act in the best interests of everyone here at Hogwarts. All I ask is that you try.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” the werewolf replied, tone stating clearly that he was not at all pleased with this turn of events.

Their talk turned to other, less sensitive, topics until they entered the castle, where Albus invited his younger colleague into the Great Hall for breakfast.

“I really ought to go and find Harry,” the former Defense professor replied.

“Well, there’s no reason why you can’t begin your search here. And you may as well take some toast or a muffin as long as you’re here.”

“Honestly, Albus, sometimes I think you’re worse than Molly,” Remus responded teasingly.

“No one is worse than Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said, appearing that moment.

“You know, you may be right,” Remus said, affecting a pensive pose.

Harry laughed and said, “Happy Christmas,” accepting a hug from the friend who had stood by his father and godfather and who was now at his side.

“Happy Christmas, yourself.”

“I see you’re wearing your scarf.”

“Yes, I couldn’t resist. And it being winter I didn’t have to.”

“I reckon you would have looked rather silly wearing it in the summer.”

“I certainly would have,” Remus smiled, “and I would have people saying that I was crazy.”

“Nothing wrong with being called crazy,” Albus interjected as they walked through the large, familiar doors.

“Some would argue that,” Minerva replied pertly from her seat at the end of the single table. “Good morning Harry, Albus, Remus.”

“Good morning, Minerva,” Remus replied cheerily while Harry nodded.

“Good morning, Severus,” he nodded to the dark wizard who sat next to her. Severus scowled at him but nodded back.

Remus followed Harry to a pair of adjacent seats, which, he noticed, were as far as possible from Severus and Albus. He decided, however, that it might not be the best time to comment on the seating arrangements. There were others present, even if they seemed more interested in their tea and eggs than in anything anyone else was saying.

It was a little later that they had finished with breakfast and settled on going for a walk. They made it all the way out to the lake before Remus spoke. “How are you, Harry?”

“Well enough,” the youth shrugged. Remus frowned slightly but continued,

“Did you have a good Christmas?”

“Yes.” The werewolf’s frown deepened.

“Harry, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s wrong.”

“What happened Christmas Eve?”

Remus blinked. That wasn’t what he was expecting at all. “Christmas Eve?”

“Voldemort did something, I know!” Harry cried with surprising vehemence. “What happened? Don’t you start keeping things from me, too!”

Remus raised his hands in a placating gesture. “I wasn’t trying to keep anything from you, Harry. I just wasn’t sure what you meant. Voldemort attacked a couple of places, Harry. The same places he attacked before, actually. Only this time, he didn’t just put up a couple of Dark Marks. He destroyed buildings, he killed people, kidnapped some, we think. All the bodies still haven’t been found. Several people were kissed.” Remus trailed off and shook his head.

“People,” Harry asked. “Not just witches and wizards?”

“Muggles too. Their authorities are saying it must be some sort of gang activity.”

Harry snorted mirthlessly. “They don’t know the half of it.”

Remus shook his head. “I’m afraid not.” They stood in silence a few moments. “You want to tell me what’s going on now? I don’t mean to push you, but you’re starting to worry me a little.”

Harry looked up at him. “I don’t mean to.”

“I know.” Remus gave him a small smile.

Harry heaved a sigh. “When I went to stay with Snape over the summer, he told Voldemort that I was being taught the Dark Arts. That way I could stay with him without too much suspicion.” Harry paused a long moment. “Maybe he was suspicious anyway, or maybe he just saw this as a way to get his hands on me for good, I don’t know.” He shook his head.

“Anyway he came up with this plan. Sirius was my godfather, right? But he died, and the Ministry knows it now. Well, obviously he can’t be my guardian anymore, and the Dursleys still are my guardians, but, since they’re related, if we both really wanted to, apparently Narcissa Malfoy could petition to be my guardian.” Harry looked up at him out of the corner of his eye.

“I should think the Ministry would be a little reluctant to do that with Lucius having escaped from Azkaban,” Remus commented.

Harry shrugged. “Anyway, Snape and Dumbledore knew about it and didn’t tell me. They just let Draco go on trying to get close to me, and encouraging me to let him.”

Remus raised an eyebrow. “Draco?” he asked. “How does he fit in?”

“Well, the Malfoys had to convince me to like them somehow, didn’t they?” Harry asked in a tone that made it clear that it should have been obvious.

Which Remus supposed it should have a moment later. “And Draco? Did he know the plan too?”

Harry glanced at him in surprise and a thoughtful look bloomed on his face. “You know, I don’t think he did.”

“Well, then,” Remus began, hoping to try to get Harry to focus on the positive.

“Snape definitely did, though. And so did Dumbledore.” His look and tone clearly indicated that the rest of his thought was that he would never forgive them.

“I’m sure they only thought they were doing what was best for you.” Remus offered.

“I certainly hope you didn’t come to try to make me understand,” Harry growled.

“Harry,” Remus sighed. Clearly this was going to be more difficult than he thought. “I am first and foremost always on your side. You should know that. Your father and godfather meant a lot to me and I would always take care of you for their sakes. However, quite independent of that, I am very fond of you. You have become just as much a part of my family as James or Sirius ever were.” The werewolf shifted a little and blushed a bit though he bravely did not break eye-contact. “In fact, in fact, I think of you quite as my own nephew.”

Harry, who had been quite prepared to ignore anything and everything his former professor had to say found himself instead transfixed by his simple and meaningful statement. He opened his mouth but could not speak immediately. “Thank you, Remus,” he managed to shove out at last.

Remus just nodded, laying a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “It’s a little different, I know with Albus and Severus, but they care about you too. I’m certain that whatever they did they didn’t want to see you hurt.”

“You still sound like you’re on their side,” Harry said, a hint of accusation creeping into his voice.

“I don’t mean to.”

“Well you do, a little.”

Remus sighed. “Harry, I promise you, I am not on their side. Actually, I’m rather angry with them. I didn’t come here to fix anything for them, I came for you. Because I thought you might need me. Still, if they had meant to hurt you, I think this would not be the way they would have gone about it. I also think we’d have known before now.”

“Well, meaning to or not, they certainly succeeded,” Harry muttered. “I trusted them! I trusted both of them! After everything that happened, how could they? How dared they? How could he? Was it all a lie?”

Remus wrapped an arm around Harry’s shoulders. “It was not a lie. I know that. I saw you and Severus together. In fact,” Remus paused, uncertain as to whether he should reveal this. It was clear, however, that Harry felt more betrayed by Severs than by his headmaster.

His pause got Harry’s attention more than the soothing words had. “Go on,” the young man urged him. Remus sighed and hoped that Severus would forgive him, “In fact, it was Severus who told me that you would need me. He knew he’d muffed it, and he was very concerned for you. I believe he is sorry.”

Harry took that statement in but said, “I’m not sure sorry is good enough.”

Remus nodded sighing again. “That’s fair enough. You have been hurt, I can’t deny it and neither can anyone else. Nor does anyone want to. I just thought you should know.”

Harry nodded although his face was still set in lines of obstinacy. His image of unwavering resolve was shaken by the sudden shiver that raced through him.

Remus noticed immediately. “Come on,” he said. “Let’s go inside, it’s cold out here.”

Harry just nodded again as they turned, leaving the lake behind.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1058