Summer Before Sixth Year by Terri
Summary: The summer after the Department of Mysteries battle is a hard one for Harry, plagued by guilt but determined to make himself fit to fulfill the Prophecy. Along the way, he trains hard, and learns to trust and love. The start of a series which will eventually be a Snape mentors Harry tale.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Sixth Year Series
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 56071 Read: 74356 Published: 30 Nov 2005 Updated: 14 Dec 2005
Sirius Talk by Terri
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Not mine - just borrowing them

Beta'd by the magical irisgirl12000

Harry slept surprisingly well and awoke the next morning with just vague memories of fleeting pain in the night. He felt rested and ready for what the day might bring, but really hoped that his scar, and Voldemort, would behave today. Throwing back the hangings, Harry hurried to dress as his stomach rumbled. He tossed a pillow at the still snoring Ron as he tugged on his trainers.

“Ron, get up, mate! You want to miss breakfast?”

“I’m coming,” Ron mumbled, and rolled over, snoring again.

Chuckling, Harry left the dormitory and headed down to the Great Hall. Sunlight poured in through the high windows and the enchanted ceiling showed a cobalt blue, cloudless sky. Today all the teachers were due back at Hogwarts for the new school term, and Harry wasn’t surprised to see many of them at breakfast. He hesitated in the doorway, until he saw Remus seated next to Mr. Weasley, and walked over to join them. Nodding hello to many familiar faces, he slid into the set next to his godfather.

“Alright, Harry?” Remus looked at his searchingly.

“Yes, actually, Remus, I slept well. Good morning, Mr. Weasley.”

“Good morning, Harry, Ron still sleeping?”

Harry was loading his plate with eggs and bacon, already chewing on a piece of toast. “Yes, sir, but I threw a pillow at him.”

“I think I’ll go up and collect him.” Mr. Weasley hid a smile and headed out the door.

Remus drank his coffee in companionable silence while Harry ate. Hermione and Tonks joined them for toast and orange juice. They were all done when Ron finally showed up, trailing behind Bill. Their conversation was lively as Ron ate, sticking by unspoken agreement to general topics, most of it focused on Quidditch.

Leaving the Great Hall together, the group went to the third floor classroom that they had been using. Once the door was closed, everyone was talking at once. Remus held up a hand.

“Stop! One at a time, please!”

Hermione put a hand on Harry’s arm. “What happened last night, Harry? You looked awful when you went up to the dormitory, but then you disappeared.”

Harry looked at Remus, who nodded his okay, and then went on to tell Ron and Hermione what had happened the night before. He described Snape’s situation, and what he was supposed to do for Voldemort. In a low voice, he described to them how much his scar had hurt, due to Voldemort being in Hogsmeade.

“Oh, Harry, what is Dumbledore going to do?

“I don’t know, he said he needed to think about it and we’d decide today.”

Remus paired them up them, and worked all three of them hard for the rest of the morning. Mr. Weasley came in at a while later, and stood by the door watching. He told them that her mother, who wanted to spend some time with her daughter, had cornered Ginny. Going through a number of stunning spells and shielding charms, Remus set Harry working on wand-less magic, concentrating on summoning and protection charms. Tonks and Bill had seen some of these the day before in the Entrance Hall, but Mr. Weasley was astounded at what Harry had learned to do.

Sending Harry to the bench by the window to practice his Occlumency around noon, Remus had Hermione and Tonks go down to the kitchens to get some sandwiches for lunch. He, Mr. Weasley, and Bill then rearranged the classroom for a meeting of the Order.

Harry closed his eyes to the activities and his mind to the distractions, and smoothed the walls in his brain. His thoughts turned to Sirius, and he filled his mind with the memories of last Christmas, when they’d been so happy.

“Harry.”

The warm, welcoming voice wrapped around his consciousness, and Harry found himself standing on a raised, stone dais, facing the ancient archway at one end, tattered black curtain swaying slightly. He glanced around at the stone benched that rose in tiers upward, creating an amphitheatre, a Death Chamber.

“Sirius.” Harry walked toward the archway, the last place he’d seen his godfather alive, and the image him disappearing through the veil playing through his mind.

“What’s wrong, Harry?” Warm but with an anxious note, Sirius picked up on Harry’s mood.

“Nothing.” Hand out, Harry reached toward the veil, wondering as he had a thousand times before, what would happen if he pulled it back.”

“Harry, stay back! What is going on?” Sirius sounded uncharacteristically stern.

Snatching his hand back, finger tips brushing a fold in the veil, Harry took a step backward and sat down on the cold stone, facing the arch. A whisper of pain swept the chamber, and Harry knew that his scar had prickled. Ignoring it, he began to tell Sirius about the past few days, and describing for him the visions he’d seen of Voldemort, Malfoy, and Snape.

“So, Dumbledore is try to figure out how we can lure Voldemort into the open, and get rid of both him, and the Death Eaters, but still protect me.” Harry finished. “Although, I don’t understand why I just don’t try to fulfill the Prophecy, seems like a perfect time.”

“No! Harry, you are not ready yet to take on Voldemort!” Sirius sounded alarmed. “I won’t allow it! Dumbledore knows that!”

“You sound like Remus did last night,” Harry mumbled.

“I would hope so! Moony knows how I feel, how your mum and dad would feel, Harry!”

Harry rubbed his palms on his pants, saying what he had thought so many times in the past few weeks. “I don’t know if I will ever be ready, Sirius; it just seems like I should try something before he gets any stronger, or anyone else gets hurt.”

Sirius was quiet for so long that Harry thought he had gone. “Harry, when Albus Dumbledore reminded me of the Prophecy last year just after Voldemort’s return, Remus was with me. We were the only other two that had heard the actual words of the prediction, besides with your parents, before you were born. Even the members of the Order of the Phoenix, who have sworn to protect you with their lives, only know the content, not the exact words. We both agreed with Dumbledore that you should be told about the Prophecy, but when the time was right. And Moony and I insisted that once you were told, one of us would be with you at all times, no matter what. We knew you well enough to know how you would take that kind of news, and did not want you feeling like you had to bear the weight of it all by yourself.” Sirius’ voice was gentle. “That was when we made our pact with Dumbledore, when Remus agreed to step in if anything happened to me.” Sirius’ voice trailed off. “No one could love you more than we do, Harry.”

Harry felt warmed by Sirius’ words, glad to know that he had their support, and they understood the burden he felt. “You know that I love you, Sirius, and Remus too.”

“Then you must promise me, Harry James Potter, that you will not do anything that Albus Dumbledore has not expressly instructed you to do, when it comes to Voldemort.”

“But…”

“No, Harry! You must be ready first!” Sirius pleaded. “Promise me!”

“Alright, Sirius, I promise,” Harry muttered, giving in.

“And I think I may have an idea for tomorrow that might help, but I need to talk to Dumbledore. Can you bring him to me?”

“I’ll try…”

A great throb of pain brought Harry back to the classroom. He clapped a hand to his forehead. “Ouch!”

“What’s wrong, Harry?” Hermione was back, heaps of sandwiches piled on trays sat on the table formed of desks, with flagons of juice, and plates of puddings and cakes.

“Voldemort’s awake, I think.”

Harry felt Remus’ presence beside him and turned to look at him. “Alright, Harry?”

“Yeah, so far. Remus?”

Remus Lupin sat down on the bench beside him, clear gray eyes meeting his bright green ones. “What’s the matter?”

Harry gave him a faint smile and lowered his voice. “I just wanted you to know, as I just promised Sirius, that I will not do anything, regarding the Prophecy, unless Professor Dumbledore has instructed me to. Between the two of you, I can’t even think of stepping out of line!” He finished with a shake of his head.

“You got that right, mate! What did Sirius say?” Remus asked with a soft laugh.

“He is afraid I’m going to try and take on Voldemort before I’m ready.” Harry relayed. “And he wants to talk to Dumbledore, he thinks he has an idea.”

“Harry.” Remus slung an arm around Harry’s shoulders. “Neither Sirius or I want to make this any more difficult for you than it already is, but if you try to face Voldemort before you are fully trained and ready, you will die. That would not fulfill the Prophecy as I interpret it! Besides, you will not face him without me, and I am in no hurry to lose you or die myself. Okay?” He locked eyes with his godson.

Harry leaned into the arm. “I love you, too, Remus.” He smiled widely, and Remus winked back.

“Harry, Remus, let’s eat!” Hermione called over to them as everyone else had assembled.

The classroom was filled with members of the Order of the Phoenix, in addition to the teenagers, including Ginny and Mrs. Weasley.

Everyone grabbed sandwiches from the trays and found a place to sit. Warm sunlight filtered into the room and muttered conversation was punctuated with muted laughter. Harry watched as Ginny tossed rebellious looks at her mother, having already been told she wasn’t staying for the meeting. Harry caught her eye and winked, letting her know that he would tell her later. Remus left after he ate, in search of Professor Dumbledore, and returned shortly to beckon Harry from the room.

Harry followed his godfather to the Headmaster’s office, where

Dumbledore stood gazing out the window overlooking the Forbidden Forest,

the Quidditch pitch in the background. He turned as Harry walked up beside him, remembering the night that he had been scared of the great black dog that had appeared there.

“How is your head today, Harry?” Professor Dumbledore asked, bring a hand up to rest on Harry’s shoulder.

Looking up with a small smile, Harry met the crystal clear blue eyes that always seem to be able to see through to his soul. “Just some prickling in my scar so far, Professor. Today Sirius seems to be a bit of a headache.”

Dumbledore smiled. “So Remus tells me, Harry.”

Directing Harry over to the two armchairs across from his desk, Dumbledore sat down. “I have asked Alastor to start the meeting, so they will know what we are facing by the time we get there.” He met Harry’s eyes, searching the brilliant green depths. “It sounds like Sirius had a bit of a go at you this afternoon, Harry.”

“Only because he was worried, sir. I just said that maybe this was the time to try and attempt to fulfill the Prophecy, and, well, Sirius didn’t like that idea at all.”

“I can understand his reaction, Harry.” Dumbledore pinned him with a sharp look.

“I promised him that I would follow your instructions, Professor, just as I have promised you and Remus.” Harry said with a sigh. “I guess yesterday wore at me a bit.”

Albus Dumbledore continued to hold Harry’s eyes. “I realize it is difficult, Harry, which is why I waited to burden you with this, and it was something that worried your parents, too.”

Harry felt a lurch in his stomach. He had forgotten that his parents had known of

the Prophecy before he had been born, and that was the reason they had been in hiding when Voldemort killed them.

“Professor?” Harry asked. “Were my mum and dad scared when you told them about the Prophecy?”

“They were very proud of the fact that you were one of two boys who had been destined to save all of the magical world, Harry, but yes, they knew what it would mean for you and them, until you were old and strong enough to fulfill the Prophecy. That was why Lily and James immediately took the precautions they did to protect you.” Dumbledore looked down for a moment, sadness evident in his face. “They would be so very proud of you, Harry, and the young man you have become.”

Harry blinked rapidly, pleased but saddened by the words.

“Come now, Harry, we have to get on with it. Will you please see if you can contact Sirius?”

Harry shut his eyes dutifully, smoothing the walls in his mind, and filling his thoughts with the love he felt for his godfathers, Sirius and Remus.

“Hello, Harry.” The warm, husky voice held a soft smile.

“Hi, Sirius.” The cold, stone room took shape around him, but this time he wasn’t alone, the tall, thin figure of his Headmaster stood beside him.

“Hello, Sirius.”

“Hello, Professor, and thank you for everything.” Sirius said.

“You are welcome, Sirius. Harry said you had an idea that might help us?”

“Professor, there were times when you would arrive and leave Grimmauld Place with the help of Fawkes the Phoenix. Would it be possible for Fawkes to do the same for Harry tomorrow morning? I know Fawkes had helped Harry in the past.”

“Excellent idea, Sirius, it might just work.” Dumbledore stroked his long, silver beard. “Thank you, Sirius, I think you may have given me the solution.”

“Just keep him safe for me, Professor, please.” Sirius sounded grave.

“You know I will do my best, my friend.” Dumbledore responded gently. “Harry, we need to go.”

Harry stretched a hand toward the archway. “I’ll be back soon, Sirius.”

“Be careful, son, please.” Sirius’s voice was soft.

“I will, I promise.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1061