Summer Before Sixth Year by Terri
Summary: The summer after the Department of Mysteries battle is a hard one for Harry, plagued by guilt but determined to make himself fit to fulfill the Prophecy. Along the way, he trains hard, and learns to trust and love. The start of a series which will eventually be a Snape mentors Harry tale.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Sixth Year Series
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 56071 Read: 74348 Published: 30 Nov 2005 Updated: 14 Dec 2005
The End of Summer by Terri
Author's Notes:

This is the end of the first part of a three part novel-length story -

Dislcaimer: Not mine - just playing with them

Beta'd by the amazing irisgirl12000

The teenagers enjoyed a leisurely meal in front of the crackling fireplace in the common room. Remus had joined the teachers in the Great Hall as soon as the kids had settled in, leaving them with a last glance at Harry. It had been hard on his friends, Harry realized, to watch the morning events from the sidelines, feeling helpless; he compensated for their rough morning by indulging Hermione and Ginny as they fussed over him. Hermione had taken Remus’ place on the arm of the couch by his head, and Ginny sat on a cushion in front of the couch. Harry found that he could even, accidentally-on-purpose, brush her vibrant red hair with his fingers, as it lay fanned across the edge of his blanket.

“It is going to be weird to not be on the Hogwarts Express tomorrow when it pulls out of Kings Cross,” Ron said, pushing the rest of his treacle tart away, his stomach comfortably full.

“I hope Malfoy searches the whole bloody train three times looking for us,” Ginny replied, vindictively. “He’s going to get a shock when he sees us here.”

“Stupid git,” Harry remarked. “Always has to get his threats in, doesn’t he?”

“Oh, I think he may be more than surprised, as his father was one of those taken away this morning,” Hermione said with a smug smile.

The lightning bolt scar throbbed painfully, and Harry grimaced. He was surprised when he felt Hermione’s soft warm fingers lay across it, he tilted his head up questioningly, and she smiled down at him.

“It might make it feel better if I rub it, Harry, your hand seems to be busy,” Hermione leaned down and whispered in his ear. Harry just grinned.

Ron started talking about Gryffindor’s chances of winning the Quidditch Cup this year, with Harry back on the team, Ginny as a chaser, and, of course, himself as keeper. Ginny flashed him a grin over her shoulder and leaned back, covering his fingers with soft, silky hair. Hermione chuckled softly, and pretended to actually be interested in what Ron was saying. Harry was warm and comfortable, his full stomach making him drowsy, and he dozed off.

“Harry?” Remus woke him with a hand on his head. “Madame Pomfrey is here with your potion.”

Harry opened his eyes, and sat up. Looking around, he found the nurse and Professor Dumbledore standing beside the couch with Remus, but no sign of his friends. “Where is everyone?” he asked sleepily.

“I sent them up to bed, Harry. They were all sitting here struggling to keep their eyes open. It has been a long, hard day.” His godfather gave him a pointed look.

“How are you feeling, Harry?” Dumbledore sat down beside him.

“Mainly just tired, Professor. My head is still throbbing, but I guess that is to be expected.” He looked up into the bright blue eyes. “How is Professor Snape?”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled merrily back at him. “He is going to be just fine, Harry. Madame Pomfrey has released him to his chambers for the night, and he will be well enough to greet the returning students tomorrow night. Severus doesn’t clearly remember anything after you knocked him out of the path of the first killing curse, just some flashes of images.” He peered over the top of his glasses and leaned toward Harry. “He was a bit intrigued at how he sustained bruises around his ankle, though, and I did have to tell him that he had been rescued by you, with a grip on his ankle.”

Harry closed his eyes and slumped back on the pillow. “I’m dead,” he groaned. He heard Remus chuckle softly; his eyes flew open, and he sent his godfather a filthy look, which just made Remus laugh harder.

“Drink your potion, Harry, and go up to bed.” Dumbledore instructed with a smile. “I would imagine you will need your rest for tomorrow.” He laid a hand on Harry’s arm. “I must again impress on you the need to be extremely careful, Harry. With the return of the other students, we must anticipate that there will be some who are loyal to Lord Voldemort.”

“Yes, Professor, I will be.” Harry took the goblet from Madame Pomfrey and drained it in one gulp.

With Remus’ help, Harry went up to the dormitory and climbed into his four-poster. He felt better than he had, his knees less shaky than that afternoon, but his head still achy. Ron’s steady snores sounded from the next bed, and Harry settled in, quickly falling back to sleep.

Bright sunlight flooded through the dormitory window when Harry opened his eyes the next morning. Ron was still sleeping, and Harry dressed quietly, pleased that his legs did not shake as he left the room. The Gryffindor common room was tidy and empty as he walked through it, headed for the portrait hole. Harry made his way down to the Great Hall, meeting no one on the way.

The four house tables and the staff table had been already set up when Harry walked in, a lone figure dressed in black the only occupant. Harry stopped short just inside the door. Harry fought the instinct to turn and run from the room, from Professor Snape, and sat down as far away as possible. The staff table was the only one set for breakfast, which put Harry much closer than he wanted to be. He fervently hoped that Snape would just ignore his presence, as he had done all summer.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry closed his eyes. Apparently not.

“Professor Snape?” Harry turned his head toward the Potions Master.

“You knocked me out of the way yesterday morning, when the Dark Lord tried to kill me, why?” Snape’s unreadable dark eyes pierced him, burning into Harry’s bright green eyes.

Harry was dumbfounded, and found he could not look away. Of all the things he had envisioned Snape asking, this wasn’t it. “Because the curse would have killed you, sir.”

“You hate me, Potter. You loathe me. You believe that I am partially responsible for the death of your godfather. Why would you save me, Potter?” There was no sneer to Snape’s quiet voice, no hint of sarcasm, just question. “Not once but twice, according to the Headmaster. Why?”

Harry held Snape’s eyes, and answered as truthfully as he could. “No one deserves to die like that, at Voldemort’s hand. My parents did not deserve to die like that, nor did Cedric Diggory. You are a Hogwarts teacher, a member of the Order, and Dumbledore trusts you. I could not stand by and let you be killed, if there was anyway to prevent it.”

“Even though you placed your own life in jeopardy? The Headmaster said that you were struck by the Avada Kedavra curse as the Phoenix was lifting us to the castle, but it did not kill you.” The dark eyes had taken on a strange glitter.

Harry broke eye contact, looking down at his plate. “I don’t know exactly what happened. I know I grabbed Fawkes, and felt around on the ground for you, as you were under the invisibility cloak. I finally found your ankle and grabbed it.” He met Snape eyes without flinching. “I did what I needed to do.”

There was an arrested look on Snape’s face. “By my ankle?” He seemed to digest this information for a moment. “And I was covered by your invisibility cloak.”

“Yes.” Harry stated emphatically “At least, the last I remember you were.”

A platter of sausages and bacon appeared in front of Harry, as did a platter of eggs, flagons of milk and orange juice, and steaming bowls of porridge. Harry began to fill his plate with food, suddenly hungry; he really hoped that Snape was done asking questions, and he distracted himself by selecting his breakfast. Out of the corner of his eye, Harry could see the man hesitate for a moment, still staring at him, before turning back to his own plate.

They ate in silence for several minutes, and then Harry heard the sound of running footsteps coming down the marble staircase into the Great Hall. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny strolled sedately into the room, their faces flushed and breathing hard.

“Good morning, Professor Snape. Good morning, Harry,” they sang out together as they seated themselves protectively around Harry.

Ron leaned toward him, acting like he was grabbing the platter of eggs, and whispered. “You’re still alive, then?”

“Yeah, but it was definitely weird,” Harry whispered back, passing the bacon to him as well. “I don’t think he has quite worked it out yet. So, I’m good until one of the other teachers makes some remark about his underwear!”

Ginny and Hermione stifled giggles; Ron’s mouth was too full already for speech, so he nodded enthusiastically. Teachers started to filter into the Hall, and the mutter of conversation grew louder. Professor McGonagall put her hand on Harry’s shoulder as walked passed, patting it softly. Remus, still looking pale and tired, paused in the entrance, his eyes searching for Harry before he entered.

Harry leaned over and whispered to Hermione. “We need to check on the Wolfsbane Potion, Hermione.” This was said with a significant look at his godfather.

“It’s done, and he has already begun drinking it,” Hermione said under her breath. Harry gave her an appreciative smile.

“Harry, how are you?” Remus asked as he took a seat next to Hermione.

“Fine, Remus, I slept really well,” Harry said, passing Remus the flagon of orange juice. “You don’t look very rested this morning.”

Remus smiled. “Nightmares will do that to you, Harry, especially ones filled with killing curses and angry black dogs.”

“Sirius doesn’t blame you, Remus! He told me so!” Harry exclaimed, appalled that Remus would even think so.

Remus leaned forward and laid a hand on Harry’s arm. “I know, Harry, but Padfoot always did say he would haunt me, you know.” He smiled. “Now, what mischief do you lot have planned for your last morning of summer holiday?”

The teenagers looked at each other blankly, they hadn’t had a lot of time for fun lately. “Can we going flying, Remus?” Ginny asked hopefully.

“Well, I don’t see why not. Maybe I will grab a school broom and join you.”

“That would be great! You and Hermione can be beaters!” Ron said eagerly.

“I think we’ll leave the bludgers where they are, Ron. We’ll just all test your skills as keeper by all being chasers!” Remus told him with a laugh.

“Harry, how are you?” Harry had not noticed Albus Dumbledore come into the Great Hall, and looked up to find him standing beside his, blue eyes twinkling and a smile that twitched at the corners.

“I feel fine, Professor, really! Is it okay if we go down to the Quidditch pitch this morning to practice?”

“That is an excellent idea, but you must allow Madame Pomfrey one last look at you first.”

Harry slid out of his chair. “I’ll go up right now while everyone is finishing, alright?” He flashed them a smile. “I will meet you back in the common room.” He practically sprinted from the Great Hall.

Harry had just darted out into the Entrance Hall, heading toward the Infirmary without glancing around toward the marble staircase, when he was suddenly lifted off his feet.

“Harry! What do ya think yer doin’?” Hagrid towered over him. “Ya almost died yesterday, ya should not be runnin’ like that!” He set Harry back on his feet and then swept him into a rib-cracking hug.

Harry staggered back when Hagrid released him, grinning up at him. “I’m fine, Hagrid, really! Dumbledore told me that you and Grawp were brilliant yesterday!”

Hagrid’s cheeks grew red with pleasure. “I guess I lost me temper when I saw tha’ curse hit ya, Harry, and Grawp jes’ followed me.” His eyes grew misty. “I was sure ya were dead, Harry.”

“I’m just going up the hospital wing to see Madame Pomfrey and then we are going down to the Quidditch pitch. Maybe you can come down and watch?”

“Alright, hurry up then.” Hagrid waved him off as he went in to breakfast.

Madame Pomfrey clucked over him, and made him drink one last goblet of restorative potion before sending him off with a warning to be careful. Harry found the others ready and waiting in the common room, including Remus, who had just finished a goblet of smoking Wolfsbane Potion. Harry ran up to the dormitory to get his Firebolt, and they set off.

The day was perfect for Quidditch: sunny and warm, the sky a deep, cloudless blue, a soft breeze blowing across the pitch. Harry kicked off from the ground hard, and soared straight up into the air, the wind whipping through his hair. The feeling of exhilaration that he always felt when he flew took hold and Harry sped around the goal posts, rolling, diving, and looping the field several times. Ron and Ginny caught up with him and laughed as they tried to match his antics as they zoomed down the field. Remus and Hermione joined them, riding school brooms, and Remus carried a red quaffle, which he threw to Ron, who threw it to Ginny. Ginny lobbed it at Harry, making it fall short of him so that he had to take the Firebolt into a dive to catch it.

Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt flew over, taking a break from their patrol of the grounds. Remus produced several golf balls, which he tossed, making Harry chase them down. Ron was put through his paces, with Hermione showing promise as a chaser, managing to get two balls past Ron for goals. Ginny was light and quick, sure-handed with the quaffle, and Harry knew she was going to make an excellent chaser. At one point, Remus caught him sitting and watching Ginny fly, and he winked, flashing him a thumbs up.

It was a light-hearted group that made its way back to the castle at lunchtime. As they clambered up the steps to the Entrance Hall, Professor Dumbledore greeted them.

“The Hogwarts Express is on its way. It departed Kings Crossing without incident.” He smiled at their faces glowing. “Well done, all of you.” Dumbledore moved to stand beside Harry, his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “We will all be busy with the start of the new term, but this is not the time to let down our guard. Harry, you must continue to practice all that you have learned, but quietly, in secret. The Room of Requirement will be available to you whenever you need it. I ask you three, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, to help him, and to practice your new skills as well. Returning members of the DA can also be taught, but do not show them too much, Harry.” Dumbledore looked down at him, the clear blue eyes piercing over the top of the half-moon spectacles. “It would not do to tip our hand to someone with ties to the Dark Lord.”

Harry nodded. “Are we going to continue our lessons, Professor?”

”Yes, Harry, both Remus and I will continue teaching you, as time and your classes permit.” Dumbledore smiled at all of them. “You have all accomplished much over the summer, and I am very proud of all of you. The war for the magical world has started, and I am afraid that it will touch many of the students in Hogwarts. You all have been on its front lines these last few weeks, and have done well.” His bright blue eyes twinkled. “And after watching you, I believe that Gryffindor may have a chance at the Quidditch Cup again this year!”

Their spirits high, the teenagers made their way up to the Gryffindor Tower to put away their broomsticks before going down to lunch. Coming down from the dormitory to the common room, Harry hesitated on the last step, catching sight of Ginny peering out of the window, the sunlight bringing out golden highlights in her gleaming red hair. He walked down to stand behind her, his hand seemed to move of its own accord to stroke his fingers through the softness of her hair. Ginny looked over her shoulder at him with a smile.

“It’s a beautiful day, don’t you think, Harry?” she asked, sounding a little breathless.

Harry continued to look at her and smiled. “Yes, beautiful.”

“Will you two come on, I’m starved,” Ron interrupted loudly, standing with Hermione across the room.

Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand and they walked toward them. The expression on Ron’s face was comical, the tips of his ears were turning red at the sight of Harry holding his sister’s hand, but a lopsided grin told Harry that he wasn’t really opposed to the idea. Hermione managed to divert Ron’s attention by taking his hand, and leaning in to whisper something in his ear. Ron’s whole face was now as red as the tips of his ears, but his grin had turned somewhat silly. Hand in hand, the walked down to the Great Hall for lunch.

The afternoon sped by quickly, with the straightening of their dorms and laying out their school uniforms in readiness for the Welcoming Feast. Ron’s head disappeared under his bed, still searching for a missing pair of socks; finished, Harry walked down to the common room. He stood at the window for a moment, wondering idly where Remus had gotten to after lunch, before it dawned on him that his godfather was probably giving them some time by themselves. With a smile, Harry sat down in his favorite chair in front of the fireplace and closed his eyes, smoothing the walls in his mind and clearing his thoughts, filling his mind with happy thoughts of his friends.

A tentative hand on the top of his head brought him out of his Occlumency practice. Delicate fingers smoothed down the hairs that stood up at the back of his head. Harry sat, unmoving, enjoying the caress, as the fingers danced around to play with the tendrils of hair that fell across his forehead. He felt them hesitate briefly, then a fingertip traced the lightning-shaped scar.

“Does it hurt right now?” Ginny’s quiet voice asked.

“No, not right at this moment,” Harry said, opening his bright green eyes to look up into Ginny’s warm brown ones.

Reaching up, he grabbed the errant fingers and tugged on them. Ginny lost her balance and fell over the arm of the chair, ending up sprawled in Harry’s lap. His arms wrapped around her to keep her from falling further. Ginny leaned against him, snuggling in and tucking her head in the crook of his neck. Her warm weight felt good, and her hair had a clean fragrance, and Harry could not help but bury his nose in it.

“When I watched that curse hit you yesterday, Harry, my heart stopped. I knew then that it wasn’t the Boy-Who-Lived that I would miss, nor my brother’s best friend, but Harry. It was Harry, the sweet, brave, and wonderful person that I have grown to like very much, who I would miss most of all. I am very glad that you are alright.” Ginny told him, looking up shyly.

Harry’s stomach lurched and he wasn’t sure his throat would work if he tried to speak. He leaned down and kissed her. It was glorious.

“I’m glad ,too,” Harry said rather breathlessly, looking down into her bemused eyes.

Approaching voices had Ginny and Harry scrambling apart, and both their faces were a brilliant red as Ron and Hermione came into the common room, arguing as usual. The afternoon passed rapidly, with the friends playing wizard chess and exploding snap, much as they would have if they had been on the Hogwarts Express. Sweets and butterbeers were delivered by a smiling Remus Lupin, who patted Harry’s shoulder before leaving them. Hermione started a fire in the fireplace with a snap of her fingers, making the others grin. Soon, sweets were flying around the room, which echoed with the sound of their laughter.

Harry’s scar gave an enormous pulse of pain; the lightning shape seemed to burn white-hot on his forehead. Grabbing at his head, Harry clapped his hands to his head, turning his focus inward, smoothing the walls in his mind, clearing his thoughts. Awareness faded as he battled to manage the pain, grasping hard at happy thoughts of his friends. A hand grabbed his wrist and a trill of Phoenix song sounded; Harry concentrated on it gratefully, as it eased the terrible pain.

“Harry?” Albus Dumbledore’s voice sounded in his ear, and cool fingers were again laid across his forehead.

Harry opened his eyes, seeing that Remus had also appeared at his side. “Its okay, Voldemort is just really annoyed that his plans failed. The train is almost here.” He looked at them with the best smile he could muster. “I’m fine.”

Dumbledore looked down at him, blue eyes glittering over the half-moon spectacles and nodded. “Alright.” He looked at all of them. “If the train is almost here, you need to go up to your dormitory and change into your school robes.” He smiled at them. “I’m afraid your summer vacation is over.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1061