Summer Before Sixth Year by Terri
Summary: The summer after the Department of Mysteries battle is a hard one for Harry, plagued by guilt but determined to make himself fit to fulfill the Prophecy. Along the way, he trains hard, and learns to trust and love. The start of a series which will eventually be a Snape mentors Harry tale.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Sixth Year Series
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 56071 Read: 74350 Published: 30 Nov 2005 Updated: 14 Dec 2005
Summer at Hogwarts by Terri

The next few days were heavenly for Harry, who had never truly experienced a summer holiday. He and the others slept late, lazed in the sunshine, and played games. Mrs. Weasley had shown up the 2nd morning with their school trunks and a new broom for Ginny, which she’d asked for upon hearing she was a prefect. Hermione even used a school broom and joined in for Quidditch. They generally all had dinner together, with Mrs. Weasley and Remus, and whichever teachers showed up. Hagrid was around most of the time, as were Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick. Even Snape and Dumbledore appeared occasionally.

They had been there for several days when Professor Dumbledore joined them at lunch, and listened to the animated conversation among the teenagers. Lupin and Mrs. Weasley were laughing as hard as Harry and Ginny as Ron tried to argue some obscure fact with Hermione. It was silly, and pointless, and they were having fun. Dumbledore’s bright blue eyes twinkled with merriment as he watched.

When everyone was done eating, Dumbledore sat back and surveyed the table. “Harry, you and I need to attend to a lesson this afternoon.” Harry groaned. “And I also have a task for the rest of you.” He looked at them steadily. “When the term begins, I would like you to continue your DA meetings. I would like you to plan out some of the things that Harry and all of you will be able to teach to those willing to learn. Think of what you experienced in the Department of Mysterious and assess what you might think would be helpful to learn. I am sure that Remus can help you in that area.”

The others followed Remus Lupin out to the grassy slope next to the lake, and Harry watched them settle in from the window of a large empty classroom on the third floor. He turned from the window and sat in at one of the desks. The sunlight filling the room made it pleasantly warm and he shut his eyes, steeling his mind to practice Occlumency. He envisioned smooth stone walls protecting his mind from intrusion and focused all his energy on the delight and joy he felt at being back in the place he felt most at home, with the friends that he considered his true family. Slowly, all else receded in his mind except the smooth walls and those he loved.

“Harry?” The warm voice of Sirius Black wrapped itself around his consciousness. Harry’s mind filled with the love he felt for his godfather, and he found himself once again in the Death Chamber at the Department of Mysteries.

“Hello, Sirius.” Harry sat on the stone floor next to the ancient archway.

“You sound better, Harry, are you sleeping?” Sirius’ voice was gentle.

“I am better, and I was practicing my Occlumency, but maybe I fell asleep. Thank you for the letter you left me, it helped.” Harry was more comfortable this time conversing with Sirius’ spirit--or whatever it was--but he was still not completely convinced it wasn’t a Voldemort trick.

“I’m glad, Harry; Remus is doing okay? How are the rest?”

“Yes, everyone is fine, and Dumbledore got your mum down!”

“Finally!” Harry could almost feel Sirius smile. “Harry, I want you to do something for me. I want you to work hard, do exactly what Dumbledore tells you to, and I want you to be very, very careful. Don’t trust lightly, alright?” The voice of his godfather was serious.

“I’ll try, Sirius, to do all of that. Sirius, I miss you …” Harry said as the stone chamber faded back into the smooth walls of his mind.

Slowly, Harry became aware of another presence and opened his eyes. Dumbledore’s light blue eyes stared intently at Harry’s from just inches away. Instantly aware, Harry returned the stare, as his headmaster pulled back.

“I just spoke to Sirius, Professor!” Harry repeated the entire conversation, trying not to notice how closely Dumbledore was watching him. “I don’t understand why he said not to trust lightly, though.”

Dumbledore steepled his fingers and looked through his half-moon glasses thoughtfully. “There are concerns among members of the Order that some of the returning students to Hogwarts will have been recruited as spies for Voldemort, some possibly even by their own parents. Sirius is correct in reminding you that must be very careful.” Dumbledore stood and motioned for Harry to move opposite of him. “Let us see how you are doing, Harry.”

Harry stood straight, the walls firmly in place.

“Ready? Legilimens!”

Harry had braced himself for the brutal, intrusive style of Severus Snape, and almost missed the gentle brush of the Headmaster’s magic against his thoughts. The Death Chamber flashed through his mind twice before he clamped his walls down and filled his mind with happy thoughts of being with his friends playing Quidditch.

“Very good, Harry!” Dumbledore’s voice seemed to come from both inside his head as well as in front of him. “Remember, that there is any number of ways to enter a mind without the use of brute force.”

Harry opened his eyes to see the smile on Dumbledore’s face. He grinned in return and watched as the Headmaster walked over to the teacher’s desk and began pulling things out of his robes.

“Harry, I’d like to try another test with you, just to see where you are, all right?”

Harry moved closer as he nodded, and watched Dumbledore line up a number of objects on the desk, everyday sort of things like a key, an apple, a roll of parchment, an eagle feather quill, and the like. Dumbledore motioned him back against the far wall of the room.

“What I would like you to do, Harry is a series of exercises. You know your Summoning Charm, what I would like is for you to use your wand, but say the charm in your mind, not aloud. Let’s see how many of these you can move.”

Harry was able to summon all the objects on the desk by waving his wand and doing the “Accio” command in his head. Dumbledore then had him say the charm, but not use his wand, and Harry was able to summon all the items to him as well. Finally, Harry was to close his eyes, and using nothing but his hand, summon the items in his head. This wasn’t as easy as the other exercises.

“Concentrate, Harry, like you were practicing Occlumency. Close your mind to everything but the object you want to bring to you.” Dumbledore directed him.

Harry did as he was instructed and to his great astonishment, every item on the desk flew into his hand. He opened his eyes, looking for Professor Dumbledore, only to find that Remus and Professor Snape had joined them. Harry flushed, not sure whether to be embarrassed or excited.

“Excellent, Harry, excellent! You have indeed been practicing hard.” Dumbledore clapped his hands, and even Snape looked nonplussed. Remus smiled at him, his eyes twinkling.

“You have great potential, Harry, you just need to keep practicing and learning to refine your abilities.” Dumbledore smiled at him. “But power and ability are only a portion of what you need.” Dumbledore smiled at him. “Magical power will only get you so far against Voldemort, Harry, you must also be confident in your ability to use it. That is one of the reasons that you were taught to Apparate, and are being tested on some of the more advanced wizarding skills. We must be prepared, Harry.”

Harry nodded solemnly, as he looked at Dumbledore. They both knew the Prophecy, both knew that some how, some day, it would come down to Harry and Voldemort, and if Harry did not triumph, the entire world, wizard and Muggle, would be in danger.

“As with everything else, Harry, you need to keep practicing in secret. It certainly would not do to have anyone report back to Voldemort that your powers were being strengthened and refined.” Dumbledore stated sagely, smiling. “Although I am sure that Ron will be suitably impressed.” Harry grinned back at him, again the just-turned-16 year old.

It was quiet in the Gryffindor common room late that evening where Ron and Harry were playing wizard chess with Hermione watching. Ginny had already gone up to bed. Ron, as usual, was beating Harry soundly, even though he kept moving the pieces without touching them, to which Ron would growl “show-off” at him. Harry had just toppled his king in defeat, when Ron smacked a hand to his forehead.

“Blimey! I forgot all about Ginny’s birthday day after tomorrow! What are we going to do, I don’t have a present for her!”

“Neither do I,” said Harry, looking at Hermione, who shook her head as well. “Maybe we can go into Hogsmeade tomorrow and get something from Honeydukes.”

“No, Harry!” Hermione said quickly, “None of us can leave the castle! If we are seen, then Voldemort will know you are back at Hogwarts, and you know Dumbledore doesn’t want him to know.”

“We could use the Invisibility Cloak and go out the passage right into the back of Honeydukes.” Ron said desperately. “Ginny will be so disappointed if we don’t get her anything.”

“And if we just stay in Honeydukes…”

“Harry.” The voice of his guardian sounded from the doorway, and Harry looked up to see Remus Lupin standing there, clad in a midnight blue dressing gown and a stern look on his pale face. “If you need something, we’ll get Hedwig to fly a letter up to Fred and George in the morning, and she’ll get back by tomorrow night.”

Harry looked at him, dumbfounded. “How do you always know, Remus?”

Lupin smiled at him fondly. “Know when you are about to make mischief? Well, you seem to forget that I went to school with Sirius and James, Harry. I had to hone my skills early on, as the Headmaster always seemed to make it my responsibility to keep the two of them out of trouble. And Harry, you have no idea the trouble those two got me into!” He looked around at them. “Now, what do you need and can we send Hagrid to Hogsmeade or do we need an owl to Diagon Alley?”

They put their heads together and made up a list of items that Hagrid could obtain for them from the village without raising the suspicions of anyone who might be watching. Hermione went up to her dorm and Ron and Harry said goodnight to Remus. Their beds were warm and comfortable and they both dropped off immediately.

The rough gray walls of the Chamber of Secrets were damp and stone cold as he slithered along them. He was climbing as he went, looking for something, something just out of his reach, searching… The walls darkened and became the stone Death Chamber at the Department of Mysteries, and he tried to slither closer to the ancient archway, but his long, serpentine body stubbornly continued around the walls, searching… Searing pain split his head when he refused to follow.

Harry woke up from his nightmare, drenched in sweat and colder than he had been in a long time; his head feeling like it would burst. Automatically, the smooth walls he had erected in his mind sealed it against the snake trying to gain entry. Fumbling, retching over the side of his bed, he grabbed the watch on his wrist and pressed. Harry rubbed hard at his forehead, desperately trying to ease the pain. Gentle hands pulled the twisted bedclothes from around him and laid him back on the bed.

“You are safe now, Harry. Steady, just relax back.” Dumbledore’s reassuring voice came out of the darkness. Harry continued to tremble, knowing that his reaction would have to run its course, as usual. He took slow, steadying breaths, the pain in his head beginning to ease slightly.

“He’s searching, Professor, like he is desperate to find me.” Harry haltingly began to tell Dumbledore everything he could remember.

“When did your head start hurting, Harry?”

“When I tried to go towards the archway and the snake wanted to keep going around the chamber. It was as if he didn’t know I was aware he was there until then, and it made Voldemort really mad when he realized.” Harry was glad that Dumbledore had left the room dark, as he was still shaky and knew he must be pale. He hated this! Hated the weakness and trembling he felt whenever he dealt with Voldemort. “Why does it do this to me? Why am I so weak that it makes me…well, makes me feel all shaky and ill?”

Dumbledore sat next to Harry on the bed, his hand resting lightly on his forehead. Remus Lupin stood silently next to the bed, having come in sometime after Dumbledore. Ron’s soft, gentle snoring was the only sound in the room.

“Harry, the forced intrusion into any mind is a terrible thing, the body reacts physically to the attack, with the same type of shock as it would to a physical attack on any other part of itself. You know that even during Occlumency lessons with Professor Snape when you were prepared for it, the intrusion left you half sick. It has nothing to do with being weak, Harry, and a lot to do with being sensitized to it.” Dumbledore’s voice was thoughtful. “We will continue to practice, Harry, but I think you will always be sensitive to Voldemort due to that scar he gave you and the connection it forged between your minds.”

“Just my luck! I have practiced hard, Professor, since…since that night last term. I didn’t let him know where we were, and my walls stayed up.” Harry was feeling a bit better, and was comforted by Remus’ presence beside them. “I know that I can’t afford to be weak, because I refuse to be the cause of someone else’s death.”

“I realize, Harry, that nothing I might say is going to ease the burden you are carrying, only time will do that. It is one of the reasons I want you to share these incidents with me, so that together, we can be sure of what you are ‘seeing’.” Dumbledore moved slightly and Harry’s bedside lamp lit of its own accord. “I can’t help but think of the burden of guilt that Sirius took with him to Azkaban, Harry, and although it, and knowledge of his innocence, kept him sane, it took a great toll on him. He is the last one who would want you to suffer.”

“I know.” Harry muttered. “And I am trying, Professor.”

Dumbledore patted his shoulder and studied him carefully. Harry still felt a little shaky, but he had warmed up and his stomach had settled. “If you are feeling better, Harry, we will leave you to sleep.”

Harry nodded and pulled the covers up around his chin as the light went out and the others left the room. Sleep was slow in coming, though, and events of the past few weeks played over in his mind.

Ginny’s birthday turned out to be a smash, with tons of goodies from Honeydukes and loads of presents. The Great Hall was filled with balloons and streamers, and Mr. Weasley had arrived with Fred and George just in time for dinner. Mrs. Weasley had organized all of Ginny’s favorite foods and a huge cake at one end of the long table. Professors Flitwick, McGonagall, Dumbledore, and Madame Pomfrey joined the Weasley family, Harry, Remus, and Hermione in celebrating. Ginny loved the broomstick servicing kit that Harry gave her, blushing furiously as he kissed her on the cheek.

Harry sat back down by Remus Lupin and they watched the interplay of the family members. An arrow of envy shot through him as he watched the sibling banter. “Remus?”

His godfather looked at him. “Yes, Harry?”

“Do…do you think my mum and dad would have had other kids, if things had been different?” Harry asked quietly, watching the Weasley bothers.

“Oh, yes, Harry, I think they would have. They were both so delighted with you when you were born, James with his puffed out chest, declaring his son and heir had arrived. And your mother, who used to just sit and watch you sleep, could not have loved you more. Yes, I think if things had been different, you would have had at least a sibling or two to contend with.” There was a half smile on Lupin’s face. “Your folks were great, they let me hold you when you were a baby and all.” He laughed quietly. “You should have seen Sirius hold you for the first time, he wasn’t sure whether you were going to break or wet on him! It was very funny.”

Harry smiled at the mental picture Remus’ words created. “Sirius said my grandparents were really nice to him, too. Did you ever meet them?”

“Oh yes! What lovely people they were too, Harry, half adopted Sirius and never batted an eyelash about taking me in whenever my parents were away. They knew all about me, but never held that against me, letting me stay in that lovely manor house whenever James drug one or both of us home for the holidays.” Remus looked at Harry thoughtfully. “If you want to find out about your family, you have the immense library upstairs and the brightest witch of this school as one of your best friends. I think between them you could trace out your own family tree.”

Harry had never thought of that, and he nodded, a vision of the Black Family tapestry flashed in his mind. “That’s a great idea, Remus, maybe I actually have other living relatives, on my dad’s side.”

“You’ll never know unless you look, Harry.”

-0- -0- -0- -0- -0-

The August days turned hot and sultry, as Harry, Ron, and Hermione began to prepare for their sixth year at Hogwarts. More often than not, Ginny accompanied them as they sat under a tree on the banks of the lake, plotting out lessons to teach those returning members of Dumbledore’s Army. Remus helped them when they had questions, and made suggestions on including shielding charms, but otherwise was a watchful supporter of their activities. Either he or Mrs. Weasley was always within sight or earshot of the teenagers, not intrusive, but there if they were needed.

The full moon came and went, and Harry made sure that Remus had his Wolfsbane and was content to curl up in his room until the moon waned. Hermione went so far as to study the potion recipe and commit it to memory, if case they ever needed to brew it themselves.

It continued to be a pleasant time for Harry, who enjoyed the freedom to stay up late or sleep in, as he wanted. He could take the Firebolt out whenever he wanted, practice Quidditch or just zoom around the grounds of Hogwarts with the others trying to keep up. They laughed over silly things, played jokes on each other, and did the usual teenage things. He kept busy enough that he didn’t have time to dwell on the future or the immediate past.

Harry also found time each day to practice his Occlumency, as well as take lessons with the Headmaster several times a week. He was amazed at the power of the mind to channel magic without a word or a wand. Practicing summoning things as often as possible, it became easier, much to Ron’s amazement and disgust; Ron tried to learn with his friend, but wasn’t nearly as adept.

A week after Ginny’s birthday, they all went with Remus and Mrs. Weasley just outside the gates of Hogwarts, and spent the afternoon practicing Apparation to the Shrieking Shack and back. Mr. Weasley had made arrangements for them to be given their final test at the Ministry of Magic the following week.

Weary but excited, Harry and Ron fell into bed that night, excited over the prospect of a trip back to London.

Lord Voldemort looked down at the man Wormtail brought before him, a wizard employed as a low level clerk from the Ministry of Magic, his red eyes boring down at him. The man bowed low, gripping his hat in his hand. “I can give you Harry Potter, My Lord.” The man’s voice was shaky and nervous. “He will be in the Ministry on Thursday, prior to starting the school term.”

“Why?” The voice was cold and calculating. “What business does the Ministry have with Harry Potter?”

The man bowed even lower, his hands visibly trembling. “I don’t know, My Lord, I just heard Arthur Weasley speaking to another official in the Ministry…”

“And you hurried over here to give me this bit of worthless information, rather than finding out more?” Voldemort’s voice was furious, the rage at the ineptness of the man a personal insult. “You needn’t worry any further.” A flash of green light flared, and the man screamed.

Harry sat bolt upright in bed, his chest heaving like a bellows, his head coming apart at his scar. He groaned, slapping a hand across his throbbing forehead and fumbling for his wrist with the other. He concentrated on remembering the scene that he had just witnessed, the look of the murdered wizard, and the information he had learned. Rubbing his forehead hard, Harry rocked back and forth for several minutes, until he felt the familiar calm touch of Albus Dumbledore.

“He knows, Professor, that we are going to the Ministry of Magic next week! He killed a wizard who works there when he told Voldemort about it, because he didn’t find out why I was going.” Harry took the goblet of water Dumbledore handed him. “This dream was different, it was more like my dreams last year, when I was seeing him, but he did not know I could.” Taking a sip automatically, Harry handed the goblet to Remus, who had materialized suddenly at his other side. “And there is something else, Professor, something about the Hogwarts Express.” Harry shut his eyes tightly, trying to recapture the dream in his mind. “Something about the train platform for the start of term, but I don’t know what it was.”

“It’s alright, Harry, I think we can manage to make Voldemort really angry.” Professor Dumbledore handed Harry his glasses, and then paced to the window. The purple-tinged grayness of the approaching dawn showed on the horizon. “I think it is time that we let Lord Voldemort know exactly where you are, so that the safety of the rest of the students is also assured.” He walked back toward Harry’s bed. “Remus, I will need you to take Harry, Ron, and Hermione up to the Ministry this morning. We’ll send them by portkey back to 12 Grimmauld Place, and then via floo powder to the Ministry for their test.”

Remus Lupin nodded. “A visit to Diagon Alley seems like it would be the perfect place for Harry to be seen.”

Dumbledore nodded at the suggestion. “Yes, a visit to Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes would be a normal occurrence for Harry and the others. You can Apparate from the shop back to Grimmauld and then back to my office by portkey.”

“Professor?” Harry had a sudden thought. “Wouldn’t it make sense for Voldemort to have spies already in place in Hogsmeade?”

“Yes, I am positive that he does, Harry, why?”

“Well, if we are seen in Hogsmeade between now and the time the train leaves Kings Crossing, then Voldemort has no reason to make any kind of attack on the train, right?”

Dumbledore looked down at Harry, his eyes solemn. “Yes, it would prevent him from doing anything at the train station or on the Hogwarts Express, but it may not be very pleasant for you. Voldemort is going to be very unhappy and I am sure you will feel every bit of his rage.”

Harry swung his feet over the side of the bed, and stood. “He has raged before and I have survived. I think will need to stock up on treats, Professor, as I am sure that my visits to Hogsmeade this term will be very limited.”

“Yes, you and the rest would be prime targets for any of Voldemort’s spies in the village. You must remember that once he receives word you have been spotted, whether it is at the Ministry, Diagon Alley, or Hogsmeade, Voldemort could Apparate to you immediately.”

Harry made eye contact with Dumbledore, his eyes apprehensive but determined. “Yeah, I know. I am really hoping that if we are quick enough, we will be gone before he knows.”

Dumbledore smiled at him. “Have I ever told you that you make me proud, Harry?”

“I think you mentioned that before.”

Harry began to dress and Remus gently shook Ron awake, while Dumbledore went to alert Molly Weasley and Hermione.

It was just past dawn when the portkey deposited Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Remus Lupin in the kitchen of 12 Grimmauld Place. Arthur Weasley, looking unusually pale, was already up and had breakfast ready for them. Fred, George, and Bill were all seated around the table tucking into sausages. Sleepy greeting were exchanged as the new arrivals helped themselves to food.

“Harry, can you describe the wizard you saw in your dream?” Mr. Weasley asked in a voice that still sounded shaken.

Harry described again what he’d seen and heard trying to remember every detail he could about the short man who had died that night. He watched as Mr. Weasley nodded his head slowly.

“Sounds like Jacobs, from the Muggle Relations office. He was in the lift when I told Kingsley I need to make an appointment for you.” He frowned. “Which means that it isn’t even safe to talk at the Ministry.”

It was still early when they Apparated to Mr. Weasley’s office at the Ministry. There was an official from the Apparation Licensing Department was already there, an older wizard with a sharp gaze and a stern look. He had already spoken to Dumbledore, and quickly put the 3 of them through a series of Apparation exercises. They all passed on the first try, and were back at 12 Grimmauld by mid-morning.

The trip to Diagon Alley went like a well-organized invasion. Members of the Order were already in place when Harry, Ron and Hermione Apparated to the Leaky Caldron. They exchanged greetings with Tom the Barkeep before meeting Remus in the alley, where he had been waiting. Tonks shadowed them from the bar, dressed as an old hag wrapped in shawls. They strolled up Diagon Alley, stopping briefly to exchange greetings with fellow Gryffindor Seamus Finnegan. They caught a glimpse of Kingsley Shacklebolt reading a copy of the Daily Prophet at Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor.

They made a brief stop at the Apothecary so that Hermione could stock up on the ingredients for Wolfsbane Potion, much to Remus’ surprise. As they entered the Weasley brothers’ joke shop, the hair on the back of Harry’s neck stood up, and he could feel eyes watching them.

“Quick, everyone, we need to go!” Fred and George stood aside as Ron, and Hermione flanked Harry and dove for the backroom.

The trio Apparated immediately, arriving back at Sirius’ house, where they dropped into chairs around the empty table. Remus Apparated in right behind them. Fred and George popped in about 10 minutes later, laughing loudly.

“Well, that should make for one less spy on Diagon Alley! Ratty looking little guy ran into the shop just after you Apparated, shouting for Ron. Said he was an old friend of yours!”

Ron, Harry, and Hermione looked at each other in horror. “Wormtail!”

“Who?” asked Fred, and Ron reminded them of Scabbers, the rat that was really Peter Pettigrew.

At this point, Harry’s scar exploded with pain. His knees hit the floor and he vomited as waved of blinding pain swept over him. Voldemort’s anger was like waves of fire slamming against the smooth walls erected in his mind. Harry clamped down, trying to brace himself against the intrusion, all his concentration directed inward. Remus was at his side, as he curled up into a ball on the floor. Harry never knew whether he had pressed his watch or not, but was very glad when he felt the Headmaster’s presence. Drenched in cold sweat, still feeling sick and trembling, Harry was vaguely aware of being lifted and laid on a cot that had been conjured for him. He lay there for several long minutes, willing the pain to ebb.

“Harry?” Dumbledore’s voice brought him back to awareness. Long cool fingers rested on his forehead, and he was wrapped in a soft woolen blanket. Harry opened his eyes and looked up with a weak smile.

“Voldemort is in a towering rage, and he is very angry at Wormtail for losing us!” Harry struggled to sit up, with Dumbledore’s help. “He knows that I am not at Privet Drive, and haven’t been for a while, and he’s very frustrated that he doesn’t know where I am.” Harry looked around for Arthur Weasley. “Mr. Weasley, I think he is searching for the Burrow!”

“Its okay, Harry, we thought it might be a target when all this started, and have protected it under the same Fidelius Charm as this house.” Mr. Weasley reassured him.

Dumbledore straightened up and helped Harry to his feet. The cot disappeared along with the blanket. He looked around the room, pinning the Weasley twins with a sharp look. “Fred, George, you will need to be very vigilant as your every move will be watched.”

“We know, Professor, and Bill’s going to help us with some protection charms and things he’s learned from the goblins,” Fred said. George nodded his agreement.

“Very good, and Arthur?”

“Yes, Professor?”

“You too will need to be careful, as I am sure you are already aware.”

“Indeed I am, Professor, and Molly never misses a chance to remind me.” A smile played across Mr. Weasley’s face. “Tell her I look forward to having her back next week.”

“Yes, I will be sure to.” Dumbledore looked at Harry, Ron, and Hermione, as Remus stood behind them. “You all did very well today, and congratulations on your passing your Apparation exam. Gather round now, it is time to go back to Hogwarts.”

They were safely back in Dumbledore’s office in a matter of minutes, and Ron laughed as he pointed out that they had made it back in time for lunch. Harry was still very pale and feeling shaky, but turned to leave.

“Harry.” He stopped when Albus Dumbledore spoke, the others stopping with him. “Are you sure that you want to go through with the visit to Hogsmeade? You know what you will suffer when Voldemort finds out.”

Harry looked at Dumbledore solemnly. “A few minutes of discomfort is nothing in comparison to what could happen if Voldemort or his Death Eaters show up at King’s Cross next Sunday when the platform is loaded with kids and families.” He met the Headmaster’s eyes. “Although, it would be nice to learn how to block out the worst of the blasted headache he gives me!”

Dumbledore smiled, “Maybe we can work on that for you, Harry.”

The next morning was sunny and warm, and a light breeze stirred the leaves of the trees that lined the road into Hogsmeade. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny strolled along it, talking animatedly. Ginny had insisted, over her mother’s objections, that she go with them to add an air of legitimacy to the theory that they had all accompanied Harry to school early. They knew that Hagrid was already in the village, stationed down by the Hog’s Head Inn, and Remus would be joining them via the tunnel to the basement of Honeydukes. Mrs. Weasley had left before them and was going to be watching from the Three Broomsticks.

They strolled into the village and went right to Honeydukes, where Remus was waiting. The proprietor did not blink an eye at seeing Hogwarts students in the shop before the term had started. Harry grabbed a handful of chocolate frogs, and a bag of Bertie Botts’ Every Flavour Beans, and set them on the counter. The others also made piles on the counter, and Harry handed the owner a fistful of galleons to pay for it all. Remus stepped out before them, and watched as they set off towards the Three Broomsticks. He followed them at a distance, bringing up the rear.

Coming around the corner of the Broomstick, Harry suddenly found himself face to face with Bellatrix LeStrange, the Black cousin responsible for the death of his godfather. For an instant, unadulterated rage swelled in him, but knowing what was at stake, he slammed the smooth walls into place, ruthlessly sealed off his feelings. His wand was in his hand without conscious thought.

“STUPEFY!” He yelled before the others even saw her. “Accio wand!” Bellatrix’s wand flew from her robe and into his hand, as she fell back, hit in the chest by a jet of red light. Remus came running forward, and quickly used his wand to bind and gag LeStrange. He grabbed Ginny and was pulling her behind him.

“Come on, everyone! If she is here, there are others nearby!”

They ran into the Three Broomsticks and through to the back room where Molly Weasley had been hiding. “Colloportus!” she yelled, sealing the door.

“We need to Apparate up the Shrieking Shacking, now!” Remus said urgently, as they heard running footsteps coming across the floor.

In the next instant, all six of them were in the bedroom of the Shrieking Shack, and Remus was leading the way into the hall and down the stairs. The low, dark tunnel that led back on to the Hogwarts grounds seemed to go on forever, with only the light from their wand tips to guide them. Then they were climbing up the ladder under the Whomping Willow and emerged into the sunlight and warmth. They hurried towards the front steps of the castle, where Professor Dumbledore was waiting.

They were almost to the steps when the pain hit Harry with the punch of a lightening bolt and he collapsed to his knees. His scar split his forehead with white-hot pain, and he saw the image of a deathly pale face and flashing red eyes, both filled with fury as Voldemort used the Unforgivable Cruciatus curse on Bellatrix LeStrange. Grasping his head with both hands as it threatened to come apart, Harry struggled to brace the walls and fought to fill his mind with happy thoughts. Faintly, he heard a trill of a bird, and recognized the haunting melody as Phoenix song. He let the song fill his mind, felt the pain slowly ebb, and eventually awareness returned.

Shaky and pale, Harry found himself on his knees in the grass near the entry steps, Remus and Dumbledore beside him. The pain in his head had eased to a pounding throb, which was far better then the usual searing pain he usually felt. He looked up at Dumbledore with a weak grin.

“I got you some Chocolate Frogs.” Harry struggled to his feet as Dumbledore chuckled at him. It was then that Harry realized that Fawkes was circling around over him. “’Lo, Fawkes, thanks for the help.” Harry could have sworn that Fawkes bowed his head in acknowledgement.

Remus took his arm and helped him up the stairs into the entry hall. The whole group headed in to the Great Hall, which was already set for lunch. Harry sat down heavily in a chair and rubbed his hands over his face.

“Voldemort is very angry, especially since he knows that he can’t touch me while I am on the grounds of Hogwarts. I don’t think he knows that we have learned to Apparate, and thinks that we had a portkey set up to take us back from The Three Broomsticks.“ Harry smiled darkly. “He was very upset with Bellatrix for not grabbing me, punished her with the Cruciatus Curse.” Harry looked up at Dumbledore. “Voldemort had very carefully plotted to grab me at King’s Cross before I could get on the platform, and he was enraged that we have made a fool of him.”

“So the Hogwarts Express and the children will be safe, then Harry?” Dumbledore asked quietly.

“Yes, Professor, I think so.”

“Excellent, Harry, and all of you, well done!” Dumbledore smiled at them. “Now, I am afraid that I must ask you to start your school term a week early.” He looked at them intently. “Harry is a target, and by being his closest friends, you make yourselves targets as well. We all knew this, but the last several days have reinforced this.”

He looked at the entranceway, where Professors McGonagall and Snape stood hesitantly in the doorway. “Minerva, Severus, come in.” He looked back down at Harry. “Starting Monday, you will begin special lessons with Remus, who is staying on at Hogwarts as a tutor this term. Among other things, he is going to be instructing a special advanced class for Defense Against the Dark Arts.” Dumbledore turned his gaze to Molly Weasley who was standing beside Ginny, pale but determined. “Molly, you are needed back at 12 Grimmauld Place, but I want you to be reassured that your children, all your children, will be safe.”

Mrs. Weasley nodded with a weak smile. “Yes, Professor, I know that; both Arthur and I have every confidence in both you and them. I know Harry is safest here and therefore, the others are safe here too.”

“Am I to understand,” Snape sneered. “That these …children were able to successfully execute your plans, Headmaster?”

“Very successful indeed, Severus, and King’s Cross will be safe for Hogwarts students September 1st, thanks to these young people.” He looked at Harry with a twinkle in his eye. “Although, I do not believe Bellatrix LeStrange would be thanking them.”

“And Lupin is staying for the term?” Snape spat the words.

“Yes, Severus, as a special consultant to the Headmaster.” Professor McGonagall answered as she seated herself at the table. “Molly and I are in the process of readying the Shrieking Shack as an Apparition point and as a place for Remus to spend the full moons. Now, isn’t it time for lunch?”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1061