Summer Before Sixth Year by Terri
Summary: The summer after the Department of Mysteries battle is a hard one for Harry, plagued by guilt but determined to make himself fit to fulfill the Prophecy. Along the way, he trains hard, and learns to trust and love. The start of a series which will eventually be a Snape mentors Harry tale.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Sixth Year Series
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 56071 Read: 74362 Published: 30 Nov 2005 Updated: 14 Dec 2005
Karkaroff's Demise by Terri
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Not mine - just borrowing them -

Beta'd by the magical irisgirl12000

The next morning, Harry was shaken from a deep sleep earlier than he would have liked by Remus, who woke Ron as well. Cheerfully, he badgered them into their clothes and down to the common room, where Ginny and Hermione were waiting. Porridge and toast were waiting in the Great Hall, and the five of them ate quietly.

The third floor classroom had been prepared for them with the desks moved back against the far walls. The early morning sunlight lit the room warmly as Remus lined them up in a row, and put them through the basic summoning and vanishing charms. They made steady progress showing him what they had taught themselves, and by mid-morning, Ginny and Ron were trying to produce a patronus, while Hermione watched and offered advice.

Harry took the opportunity to do his morning Occlumency practice. He secured and smoothed the walls that were in place, concentrating his thoughts on the happiness he felt while playing Quidditch, flying on his Firebolt. Everything else faded except the feeling he was concentrating on, which seemed to pulse with form like a living thing.

“Harry?”

Remus’ voice filtered into his consciousness, and Harry refocused outward, opening his eyes. Everyone was gathered in front of him.

“I am going to take these three down to the first floor broom closet, where I found a boggart yesterday. We’re going to see what we can do with it, alright?”

Harry nodded at them and closed his eyes again, listening to the sounds of their footsteps dying away. He tried to resume his practice, but his concentration was broken. Deciding to join the others on the first floor, Harry got up and stretched. He made his way to the staircase and was on the second flight down when the top of his head split open with a white-hot flash of pain. Missing the next stair, Harry tumbled down to the next landing, where he sprawled, panting heavily.

The throbbing of his scar made his stomach churn, and Harry tried to concentrate on smoothing his mental walls. He groped for his wrist, gasping in pain. He thought of the blinding pain that had hit him, the insane laughter that had followed. Lord Voldemort was very happy, he was getting something he had wanted for a long time. His Death Eaters had captured Igor Karkaroff, and were returning him to the Dark Lord. No one ran away from Voldemort and lived.

Harry sat up, gingerly testing parts of his body for injury. A lump on the side his head was throbbing along with his scar and the rest of him felt stiff and bruised. He struggled to his feet, as he heard the sound of footsteps hurrying his way.

“Harry! What happened?” Albus Dumbledore appeared at his side.

“He’s really, really happy, Professor. Someone found Karkaroff and he is being brought to him.” Harry grimaced. “Unfortunately, I was coming down the steps at the time.”

Dumbledore steadied Harry and they made their way down to the Great Hall. Madam Pomfrey was already there for lunch, and hurried over.

“Potter, what did you do this time?” She exclaimed as she helped him into a seat.

“Fell down the stairs.”

“Did you lose consciousness?”

“Uh…no, I don’t think so.”

Madam Pomfrey fussed over him as he sat with his eyes closed, Dumbledore standing beside him. Remus came in with Hermione, Ron and Ginny for lunch, and stopped in the doorway. After being assure that Harry was banged up but okay, they sat down for lunch. Harry sat down with them, his stomach still unsettled. Hermione bullied him into a little soup and pumpkin juice.

“Took care of that boggart with no problem, Harry, you should have seen me.” Ron announced. “Remus even let us each practice our patronus on it.”

“That’s great, Ron,” Harry said with a smile he didn’t feel. He felt a strange foreboding, like something else was going to happen. He knew that once Voldemort had Karkaroff, he was sure to kill him. Harry dreaded that, as he knew that he would be an unwilling witness.

They headed backup to the classroom after lunch, Harry feeling every bump he had taken as he went up the stairs. Professor Dumbledore walked up the stairs deep in conversation with Remus. They started by splitting up, Harry going with Remus to start Legilimency, while Dumbledore sat with Ron, Ginny and Hermione to teach them the basics of Occlumency.

Harry watched as the Headmaster sat the others down and explained to them how they were to protect themselves, exactly how they were to practice, and what to expect when he tested them. Remembering the horrific sessions in Snape’s office, Harry was glad that they had the chance to learn this from Dumbledore.

“Harry,” Remus said softly.

Harry turned to look at his godfather with a grin. “Sorry. I am ready.”

Remus directed Harry to sit down on the bench near the window, and began to explain the principals of Legilimency. He explained that the Legilimens does best when he has eye contact with the subject from whom he is trying to extract information. Describing how to best cast the spell, Remus gave him step-by-step instructions on protecting his own thoughts while maintaining eye contact. Harry did as he was instructed with dismay results on the first try. Remus just laughed, assuring him that he had done fine for a first attempt.

By the end of the afternoon, Harry had developed a nagging headache and was glad to finish for the day. He appreciated the fact that both Remus and Professor Dumbledore were patient and not intrusive as he worked with both. Ron and Ginny were still working on closing off their thoughts and emotions, while Hermione had been able to close off her thoughts enough to have Remus test her while Dumbledore was instructing Harry.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Hermione said, rubbing her temples.

“For what?”

“For not understanding what you were going through last year, as I can just imagine how much worse this was to endure at Snape’s hands.” They were walking down to dinner, trailing behind the others.

Harry smiled grimly. “Yeah, you remember how I was after those sessions, this is easy compared to Snape.”

Hagrid arrived in the Great Hall as dinner was getting started, much to the delight of the young people. He wanted to know everything they were doing and seemed to pay particular attention to Harry, whose headache still lingered.

“Harry, you are pretty quiet there, are you alright?”

Harry smiled at him. “Yeah, just hit my head this morning and it still hurts a bit.”

Harry was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow, his head still vaguely aching.

The room was dimly lit, a couple of small candles flickered tentatively. A tall thin figure stood with what light there was to his back as the bound man was brought before him.

“Karkaroff, what a delightful surprise,” Voldemort said silkily in his high cold voice. “I have been looking forward to seeing you again.”

Karkaroff fell to his knees, bowing low before him. “Master, I can not believe my eyes!”

“Liar. You felt the mark burn, you knew, but you did not come.” With a wave of his hand, the bonds were gone. “I have heard tales of betrayal.”

Karkaroff began to prostrate himself at Voldemort’s feet, whimpering. “Master, I did what I had to…to stay alive so that I might serve…”

“Liar, you betrayed my loyal servants, so that you might be free!”

“Please, My Lord, I can help you…”

Voldemort’s laugh held no humor. “How can you help me, traitor?”

“I have information, Master, that could help you in your quest for Harry Potter! I was at Hogwarts last year, I have knowledge…”

“Really, and why would I would I believe anything you would tell me, Karkaroff? Perhaps you need a reminder. Crucio!”

Karkaroff’s screams reverberated against the walls. Releasing the curse, Voldemort demanded. “There is one of my Death Eaters left at Hogwarts, what do you know of him?”

“Snape…Snape is not yours, Master, he…he serves Dumbledore now.”

“Why do you say this?”

“I have seen it, he spies on your faithful, Master, and reports to his Headmaster. It is how he stayed out of Azkaban…I can bring him to you…”

“You have outlived your usefulness, Karkaroff. You failed your Master.”

“Master! No!! NO!!”

“Avada Kedavra!”

The familiar searing of white-hot pain woke Harry from sleep, and he managed to throw himself to the side of his bed to retch. He could still see the bright flash of green light in his mind’s eye, and knew that what he had feared, had happened. Grabbing his glasses and wand from his bedside table, he staggered to the doorway on trembling legs. Snape was next, his mind shouted to him. He had to get to the Potion’s Master, and had to stop him from leaving. He staggered out of the portrait hole and down the stairs, falling to his knees several times as the pain ripped through his head. Eyes blurry and burning, he focused his mind on finding Snape.

Somehow Harry found his way through the Entrance Hall, and to the dungeon stairs, before his legs collapsed under him and he fell hard. He could hear running footsteps and struggled to his feet again.

“Potter! What is the meaning of this?” Severus Snape stood above him in a towering rage, a black dressing gown thrown hastily over a blue nightshirt.

Harry grabbed at Snape’s arm, trying desperately to communicate. He felt Snape stiffen at his touch, but held on.

“Danger…you are in danger…Voldemort…” Harry felt his stomach churn, and he went down to his knees again.

Strong hands caught him, and cool fingers rested against his burning scar. Calm flooded through him, as a single note of Phoenix song sounded in his mind. He took several deep breaths, and stood with the gentle hands helping him. Without looking, he knew that Dumbledore and Remus were both there, supporting him.

“What is going on here?” Snape snarled at him, white faced.

Harry looked at him, meeting the furious eyes. “Karkaroff told Voldemort that you were a spy, working for Professor Dumbledore.”

“Severus, why are you out of your room?” Albus Dumbledore was clad in a purple dressing gown over a snowy white nightshirt.

“He called me! It woke me up, but he wasn’t there. I came looking for him!” Snape’s tone had taken on an uncertain tone.

“Harry did not make it past these stairs, Severus, how could you have heard him?” Remus’ voice was curious.

Snape appeared to be at a loss for words.

“I do not believe that you heard Harry calling you with your ears, Severus,” Dumbledore stated, and then steered Harry to a step on the main marble staircase. “What else happened, Harry?”

Harry relayed what he’d seen in his dream dully, rubbing at the throbbing scar. “Karkaroff is dead, and Voldemort ordered Malfoy to bring Snape to him, so he can put him under the Imperius Curse, after he questions him.” Harry refused to look at Snape, wondering why he had bothered to care what happened to him. The man loathed him, as much or more than he had hated Harry’s father and godfather.

“Harry, could you tell where Voldemort was?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry concentrated on the remnants of the dream that lingered in his mind. “No, it was a dark room lit by a couple of candles. Malfoy and another Death Eater were there too, they had found Karkaroff for Voldemort.”

“Which means the Death Eaters are out of Azkaban, as well, Professor?”

“Yes, Remus, but we had anticipated that would happen. I am more concerned about how we will proceed from here.” Dumbledore lifted his hand and put it on Harry’s shoulder. “Harry, the watch I gave you has one of Fawkes’ feathers in it. When this happens, if you can press the dial and hold your finger on, I think it will help you with the pain you feel.”

Harry looked up into the serious blue eyes, searching for answers. “What happened, Professor, why did Sn…Professor Snape hear me before I got downstairs?”

Albus Dumbledore maintained eye contact with Harry, although his words seemed more for Snape than Harry. “I am not sure whether it was the prior contacts between your minds, Harry, or the fact that as you learn to control and use the powers you have, your mind is better able to focus outward, but you were able to reach out from across the castle and touch Professor Snape’s mind. I believe that if you continue to learn and train, you will find that you have immense power, Harry.” He exchanged a glance with Remus. “You were able to wake both Remus and me without touching the watch.”

Harry started at him disbelievingly. It was hard to believe that, when a mere strong emotion from Voldemort brought him to his knees.

Dumbledore turned from Harry to survey Severus Snape intently. “Well, Severus, this may well change things for us.”

“I believe that I would be able to stand up to any challenge the Dark Lord might put to me, Headmaster, if you are taking Potter’s word for this.”

“Oh, I am, Severus. I am not sure that I am willing to let you be subjected to the lengths that Voldemort may go to in order to confirm your veracity.”

Snape threw a contemptuous look at Harry. “I am confident that I can.”

Dumbledore studied Snape for several minutes. “Really? Harry, come over here.”

Harry stood and moved to stand beside Dumbledore. “Severus, Harry had his first Legilimency lesson this afternoon. I would like him to try it on you, and see if you can manage to withstand it.”

With a look that went beyond loathing, Snape stepped into position opposite Harry. Harry looked directly into the dark eyes. “One…two…three…Legilimens!”

Thoughts and feelings rushed by him as Harry concentrated. He was searching for a memory of his mother, something that would tell him why Snape hated him so much. He was lost, shifting through memories of himself, when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Harry withdrew immediately and found Snape on his knees across from him. Harry frowned and his eyes flew to Dumbledore’s, unsure of what had happened.

Remus stepped over and helped Snape to his feet. Severus Snape looked stunned, his long, greasy hair falling forward on his face. He pushed his hair back with his hands, his head still slightly bowed, not looking at anyone.

“Are you alright, Severus?” Remus asked him, with a steadying hand still at his elbow. Snape looked at Lupin with an expression of almost fear, but he nodded.

“Severus, what happened?” Dumbledore asked.

“I do not know. I do not understand how…how this happened.” Snape looked at Dumbledore. “Perhaps I need to get some more sleep.”

“Yes, yes, Severus, go back to bed, we will sort this out in the morning.” Dumbledore beckoned Harry over to him. “I will walk you upstairs, Harry.”

The three of them start up the steps in silence, Harry was trying to figure out what had just happened, as he never thought he’d be able to do what he’d just done. Had he really penetrated Snape’s mind or were the fleeting images he had seen just his imagination? As they continued up the stairs in silence, Harry’s apprehension grew. Had he done something wrong?

The silence continued until they had reached the Gryffindor common room, were Albus Dumbledore motioned him into a chair by the fire. Remus sat on the arm of the chair, his hand resting on Harry’s shoulder. With a wave of his wand, a tea tray appeared on the table in front of Harry. Dumbledore poured a cup and handed it to Harry.

“I owe you an apology, Harry.” Dumbledore stated heavily as he sat down in the chair next to Harry. “I am afraid I used you to try and make a point with Severus.”

Harry looked at him. “What happened down there?”

Albus Dumbledore looked tired in the flickering light of the dying fire. He sighed. “Professor Snape is determined to carry on his mission for the Order, but your news means we need to be very cautious in how we continue. He conveniently has forgotten what happened last spring when he was giving you Occlumency lessons. He had been very surprised on several occasions that you showed an aptitude at Legilimency even then.” He smiled at Harry’s look of surprise. “Yes, I know, he led you to believe just the opposite, Harry. Never the less, Severus prides himself on being resistant to any onslaught to his mind. He just doesn’t realize what lengths Voldemort will go to in order to ensure that Severus is not working for me.”

Harry’s confusion must have shown on his face, as Dumbledore put his hand on Harry’s knee. “Remember how I told you, Harry, that Voldemort transferred powers to you the night he gave you that scar?” Harry nodded. “Those powers, plus your own natural abilities, which are quite formidable, make you a very powerful wizard. I am by no means surprised. Given your parents, I would not have expected less.” He met Harry’s eyes. “You mother was an extremely talented witch, Harry, and as I keep saying, you are truly her son.” Dumbledore chuckled suddenly. “James was even more talented than I thought, becoming an Animagus in his 5th year, truly amazing.”

“I knew that you would be able to penetrate Severus’ barriers, Harry, although you haven’t learned enough yet to be able to isolate any of the images.” Dumbledore look at him shrewdly.

“I saw flashes of memories, mostly ones of me and how much Professor Snape hates me.” Harry assured Dumbledore. “I was trying to understand why.”

“Some things transcend understanding, Harry, and this may be one of them. I am pleased with your swift progress, though.” Dumbledore looked at Remus Lupin. “You did well yesterday, Remus.” Lupin inclined his head in acknowledgement.

“I do want to remind you, Harry, that life is about the choices we make when a decision must be made. Making the right decision often takes more courage than making the easy decision, as you already know, to your credit. As you learn more and are able to do more, these decisions will become very critical.” Dumbledore stood and bid them good night.

Harry and Remus sat for several long moments in companionable silence.

“Remus, will you tell me about my mum and dad, please?”

Lupin tightened his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “I would be delighted to, Harry. Let’s plan on having a picnic tomorrow by the lake, and I’ll tell you everything you want. Okay?”

Harry looked up at him, his bright young face looking tired and drawn. “Yeah, that would be great, Remus, thanks.”

“Up to bed then, young man, and sleep in, okay?”

Harry smiled at his godfather as he headed back to the dormitory. He fell in to a deep, dreamless sleep.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1061