Summer Before Sixth Year by Terri
Summary: The summer after the Department of Mysteries battle is a hard one for Harry, plagued by guilt but determined to make himself fit to fulfill the Prophecy. Along the way, he trains hard, and learns to trust and love. The start of a series which will eventually be a Snape mentors Harry tale.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Sixth Year Series
Chapters: 16 Completed: Yes Word count: 56071 Read: 74369 Published: 30 Nov 2005 Updated: 14 Dec 2005
Phoenix Song by Terri
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Not mine - just borrowing them

Beta'd by the magical irisgirl12000

The day dawned overcast, and the clouds seemed undecided as to whether they wanted to rain or not. Harry had slept soundly, and didn’t wake up until Remus came up to check on him after breakfast. He stretched and rolled over, grinning up at his godfather.

“Well, you look much better this morning, Harry.” Remus handed him the glasses from the bedside table.

“Yeah, I feel better too.” Harry threw the covers back. “And had a talk with Sirius.” He told Remus everything that Sirius had said to him, as he got dressed, including the part about Remus’ speech, which made the older man laugh.

“Glad to see that Padfoot agrees with me. Truly, Harry, do you feel better?”

Harry looked up from putting on his socks, a solemn look on his face. “Yes, I do today, but it is like this ball in my chest that never really goes away, Remus. Some days it just feels heavier than others.”

“And none of it is fair, either, Harry, but we have to make the best of what is handed to us.” Remus looked down for a moment. “I fantasized as a kid about what it would be like to be normal, and did the ‘why me’s too, after I was bitten. Finally, years later, I had friends that helped me accept who I was and what I was.”

He glanced up at Harry suddenly, his expression fierce. “I meant what I said last night, Harry, you are all I have left, and I will do everything in my power to keep you and me from getting killed. I promise you that!”

It was Harry’s turn to reach out a hand to his godfather, realizing that he wasn’t the only one carrying burdens. By unspoken agreement, no more was said, and they went downstairs in search of toast. It did not surprise Harry when Professor Dumbledore joined them. Harry immediately told him what Sirius had said to him.

“Sirius is correct, you know.” Dumbledore looked at him over his half-moon glasses, a twinkle in his eye. “I would have found you on your 11th birthday, Harry, as you were coming to Hogwarts. It might have been fun to turn your Uncle Vernon into a horned toad at that!”

Harry sputtered and choked on his toast as a sudden picture of his uncle as a toad filled his mind. Remus patted him on the back with a grin. Dumbledore went on to tell Harry that he would see him in the 3rd floor classroom after lunch for a lesson, before sweeping from the room.

The Entry Hall became their classroom that morning, as the room they had been using was not large enough for the additional people that Harry had begun to think of as their personal guard. Tonks, Bill, and Kingsley partnered up with Ginny, Ron, and Hermione, while Remus and Harry practiced off to one side. They were learning stronger spells and charms now, like Stunning and Blasting charms, and had quickly learned that the shielding charms they had already learned were the only painless way to deflect these new spells.

At Remus’ direction, Harry began to try some of the shielding charms without his wand. Remembering Dumbledore’s insistence that he practice in secret, Harry looked at Remus questioningly, but his godfather waved him on. They worked hard all morning, learning quickly with so many new helpers, and the grown-ups were impressed with the progress they had made over the last few weeks.

“Blimey, Kingsley, let’s sign this lot up now for Auror training! They are almost as good as we are!” Tonks yelped as a stunner from Ginny managed to get through her shield.

Lunch was a lively affair, with everyone who joined the group in good spirits. It was almost like being back at Grimmauld Place, as other members of the Order where seen coming and going, some apparently just coming off duty and others going out to replace them. Alastor Moody seemed to be coordinating the shifts and came and went through the Great Hall a number of times.

After lunch, Harry went up to the 3rd floor classroom and practiced his Occlumency while waiting for the Headmaster. His happy, peaceful thoughts made him feel good, and he worked at remembering the trill of Phoenix song that always seemed to ease the pain Voldemort caused in his head. He didn’t realize that the thought of Fawkes made him smile, until he heard Dumbledore’s voice.

“Very good, Harry!”

Harry opened his eyes, the smile still curving his lips, to find Fawkes perched on the bench next to him. His smiled widened. “Hello, Fawkes. Hello, Professor.”

“Did you mean to call Fawkes to you, Harry?” Dumbledore asked, watching him intently, as Harry stroked the scarlet and gold bird’s head.

“No, I was just thinking of his singing, because it always seems to ease the pain in my head, when I can remember it.”

“Ah.” Dumbledore nodded his head, watching as Fawkes laid his head on Harry’s wrist, covering the watch on his arm.

The watch grew warm on Harry’s arm and he looked up at Dumbledore questioningly.

Fawkes lifted his head, sang Harry a few notes of his song, before disappearing in a flash of flame, leaving Harry feeling warm inside and out.

“Amazing.” Dumbledore muttered. “Simply amazing.”

“What?” Harry asked, wondering what had just happened.

“Fawkes has taken a liking to you, Harry, as he doesn’t normally let anyone else pet him but me, and I’ve never seen him come when anyone else has called him. And if I am not mistaken, you now have only to press on your watch and you will hear the Phoenix song.” The Headmaster looked at him, a curious look on his face. “Can I ask you, Harry, what happens when you hear the Phoenix song?”

Harry smiled. “It started when Fawkes came into the Chamber of Secrets my second year, Professor, just hearing his song made me feel stronger and gave me the courage to fight the basilisk. In the graveyard, when the wands connected, it was the sound I heard that gave me the strength to hold on. When I came back afterwards, after Cedric died, Fawkes sat on my knee in your office, he sang to me, and his song made me feel like I could go on and I had the strength to tell you what had happened. Whenever Fawkes sings to me, he seems to give me strength that I would not have otherwise.” He glanced at Dumbledore, whose face was wreathed in a huge smile.

Nodding, Albus Dumbledore sat down beside Harry on the bench. From inside his robes, he pulled out a couple of Chocolate frogs and handed one to Harry. Opening his, Harry was delighted to see that he had gotten a Dumbledore card, which made his professor chuckle.

“How is your head this afternoon, Harry?”

Harry paused for a second. “Alright, I guess, doesn’t hurt any more than is usual these days.” He looked sideways at Dumbledore. “Professor?”

“Yes, Harry?” Dumbledore was looking back at him.

“Tonks and Bill and everyone are staying with us until Sunday?”

“Yes, they will be staying inside with you and the others. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley will be here this afternoon as well as others, who will be helping patrol the perimeter of the school. Oh, and Harry, might Alastor Moody borrow that magnificent map of yours?”

“Of course, sir, it’s up in my trunk.” Harry stood to go get it, and Dumbledore waved him back.

“It will wait for us to be done here, Harry.” Dumbledore met Harry’s eyes over his half-moon glasses. “As you have already guessed, there are other members of the Order on guard duty outside Hogwarts, and they will be in and out of the castle from time to time. Those who are on inside duty have been chosen specifically, Harry, and you can trust them as you trust Remus or me. All right?”

“Yes, sir, and thank you, I wasn’t sure.” Harry grinned at him. “I got Remus this morning with a stunner without my wand! But it wasn’t very strong, I mean he’s okay and everything!”

Albus Dumbledore stood, chuckling, and waved Harry into position for their Occlumency lesson. Harry sealed the smooth walls in his mind and faced his teacher.

“Legilimens.”

Harry withstood the gentle brushing against the walls and as the brushing became more insistent, firmed up the barriers he had erected in his mind and filled his thoughts with happy images of his friends. He concentrated on them, as the brushing grew steadily stronger. Suddenly, Harry’s scar gave a searing throb.

“Ouch!” Said both Harry and Dumbledore in unison. Harry looked at Dumbledore in surprise. “You could feel that?” Harry asked, rubbing at his forehead.

“Yes.” Dumbledore said, rubbing his own forehead. “Was it just the pain, Harry, or something more?”

“No, just the pain right now.” Harry said, as his scar throbbed again.

“Interesting, Harry, I didn’t know it felt like that.” Dumbledore continued to watch him intently.

“It does this a lot, Professor, just prickles like that.” Harry told him, rubbing his scar absently with the ball of his hand.

Dumbledore nodded his head. “You are doing very well, Harry, with your Occlumency so I think we will move on. Come stand over here.”

Harry moved to stand beside Dumbledore and listened as he explained what he wanted Harry to do. “Now, close your eyes, and envision a wall surrounding you, Harry, a tall, transparent wall that protects you. Concentrate, Harry.”

Harry closed his eyes, and visualized a clear wall surrounding them, protecting them. He opened his eyes to see Remus Lupin step into the room and look at the simmering wall that surrounded him and Dumbledore. All his concentration was on keeping the wall up.

“Reducto!” Remus had his wand out and waved it at Harry’s wall. The wall stayed firm, and as Harry and Dumbledore watched, Remus flicked his wrist and sent a Blasting Curse at the barrier. It rebounded on him, and Remus dived to the side to get out of the way.

“All right, Harry, very good indeed! Well done.” Dumbledore patted his shoulder, as the wall dissolved.

Remus brushed himself off as he smiled at Harry. “Alright, Harry?”

Harry nodded. “Had a twinge or two, but I’m fine.”

Remus took over and they spent the next hour working on Legilimency. By dinnertime, Harry’s head was throbbing and his scar prickling almost continuously. Harry ran up to Gryffindor Tower and retrieved the Marauder’s Map from his trunk. He took it down to the Great Hall where he silently passed it to Alastor Moody.

Harry had just taken his seat between Ron and Hermione and was exchanging greetings with everyone already seated for dinner, when there was a commotion at the door. As everyone looked up, Arthur and Molly Weasley walked into the Hall. There was a squeal as Ginny caught sight of her parents and ran to the door. It was a full 10 minutes before everyone had been hugged and greeted, and everyone settled down for dinner.

Spirits were high and dinner ran long, like a gathering of old friends who hadn’t seen each other in a long while. Laughter rang through the Great Hall, and people moved up and down the table chatting. The sunset through the enchanted ceiling colored the clouds and faded into darkness. Butterbeers appeared on the table along with many desserts, and Harry was content to listen to the conversation swirling around him. His scar had continued to prickle enough to make his eyes water, and his head still ached. He had started to have a feeling of foreboding, and had been disappointed when Dumbledore had not shown up for dinner. Snape was also absent.

“Harry?” Remus appeared at his elbow, and Harry laughed, no longer surprised by Remus’ perception. “Shall we go on upstairs?”

Harry stood and followed his godfather from the room. It was strange how right it felt to Harry, when he thought of both Sirius and Remus as his godfathers. It was almost as if they were two halves of one whole. A particularly nasty throb caused Harry to stumble on the marble staircase, and Remus grabbed his arm.

“Any idea why your scar is hurting?” Remus asked as they continued up, his hand steadying him.

“I don’t know, but I’m getting that feeling again, like the other day.” Harry said. He was starting to feel shaky and feverish.

They made their way up to Gryffindor Tower and through the empty common room with its merrily blazing fire. Harry headed on up to the dormitory, knowing it was still early, but not feeling like company.

“I think maybe I should lie down for a while, Remus, and it might go away.” Harry said as he climbed up on to his four-poster.

Lupin gave him a look that told Harry he wasn’t fooled and watched Harry take off his robes and shoes as he crawled under the covers. Remus grabbed his wand as it made to roll of the bedside table and took Harry’s glasses from him.

“Alright, Harry, but I think I’ll sit with you awhile.”

Harry heard him as if from a long distance, his eyes closed and he slipped into velvety darkness. He was sailing over the Quidditch field on his Firebolt, circling the field and weaving between the goal posts. The sun was warm and bright as he flew, the wind whipping through his hair. He swooped out past the stands, soaring out over the grounds.

The Whomping Willow came into view and the dream began to change. The sky darkened, black clouds billowing in, as Harry flew through the branches of the tree. He saw a rat running underneath him, dodging limps pounding the ground around him. The rat became a man with a silver hand, pushing on the knot at the base of the willow, but the tree refused to let him in, and he changed back into a rat, running away as the tree whipped itself at him.

The sky was black as night with rolling clouds and red lightening flashed. Harry was standing over a cowering little man with a silver hand, in a dimly lit room, his red eyes flashing.

“Master, I tried! They have bewitched the tree, it would not let me in!”

The familiar high, cold voice that came out of Harry’s mouth shook with rage, triggering a searing pain in his head. “You have failed me yet again, Wormtail! You told me that this was a sure way into the castle, yet neither passage is accessible! I have come all this way for nothing! Crucio!”

The screams rang through Harry’s head, made it hurt to the point of bursting. He lifted the Curse. “Well, Wormtail, how will you redeem yourself this time?”

“Master, we will lure him out, as you did before. We will take one of his friends and he will not be able to resist coming to rescue them!” Wormtail still lay in a heap at his master’s feet.

“Perhaps, Wormtail, perhaps. Crucio!”

Cold laughter swirled in Harry’s head as the small man with a rat-like face twitched on the ground at his feet. The top of his head felt as if it were splitting.

“Harry!”

A voice called to him from far away; Harry tried to push it away, not wanting anyone else to get hurt. His scar throbbed horribly, and he felt icy cold. Strong arms surrounded him, held him tightly.

“Harry! Wake up, Harry!”

Harry struggled through the waves of pain, his stomach churning, his scar on fire. He felt a hand at his wrist, pressing, and then the beautiful sound of Phoenix song trilled in his head. The pain ebbed to a more tolerable level, and he opened his eyes slowly. Remus sat on the bed with him, resting Harry against his chest, supporting him as he rolled to vomit over the side. Pulling the bedcovers back up, Remus continued to hold on to him as Harry shook in the aftermath of the dream.

Harry closed his eyes and gripped his godfather’s arms, willing the churning in his stomach to stop. Cool fingers rested against his burning scar, and the calming effect of the Headmaster flooded through him. Harry didn’t know how long they sat there, Remus’ comforting in his closeness, and Dumbledore soothing with his touch.

Harry opened his eyes, and looked up. “Professor, where is Snape?”

Dumbledore handed Harry his glasses from the table. “Professor Snape is out, Harry. Why?”

Harry rested his head back against Remus for a moment as he looked at Dumbledore. “I think Voldemort is going to use him to lure me out, as a test of his loyalty.” He reached a hand out and grasped Dumbledore’s wrist. “Voldemort is here, close by somewhere.”

Dumbledore placed his hand over Harry’s for a moment, and sat beside them on the bed.

“Tell me about your dream, Harry, start at the beginning.”

Harry took a deep breath, and began to talk. He told them about flying and watching Wormtail at the Whomping Willow, how Voldemort had used the Cruciatus Curse on him. Voldemort knew about the passageways from the Shrieking Shack and Honeydukes, but Wormtail had not been able to get through them due to the extra protections in place. He explained that Wormtail wanted to lure Harry out again like they had done in June.

“Wormtail reminded Voldemort how much I like to play the hero.” Harry spat out, the words filling him with disgust. “And that they have Snape who hates me and would leap at the chance to be the one to turn me over to the Dark Lord!”

Harry met Dumbledore’s eyes. “He is going to test Professor Snape’s loyalty, Professor, by telling him to lure me outside, and if he fails, Voldemort will kill him.”

Dumbledore stroked a hand down his beard and appeared to be deep in thought. Harry watched him, the white-hot pain in his scar having subsided to a more manageable level. He continued to lean against Remus, drawing strength from the contact. He could not remember anyone ever just holding him like this, and he was amazed at how reassuring it was.

“Do you feel well enough to come up to my office, Harry?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry sat up straight with Remus’ help and nodded. In silence, Remus helped him dress, and they followed Dumbledore from the room. Harry knew he could not have slept for long, as the common room remained empty. He could hear the echo of voices, and realized that everyone was still in the Great Hall. Remus stayed close to Harry, who was still feeling shaky from the dream, and stumbled climbing out of the portrait hole. His scar still twinged painfully as they headed down the dimly lit hallway, and Harry could not help but wonder whether this would truly be a test of Snape’s allegiance.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1061