Sixth Year by Terri
Summary: This story follows the events of Summer before Sixth Year. No HBP but canon through OoTP - Snape mentors Harry as he trains to learn what he needs to fulfill the Prophecy.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Sixth Year Series
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 67275 Read: 92493 Published: 14 Dec 2005 Updated: 01 Jul 2006
Recuperation by Terri
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: not mine - just borrowing them

Voices penetrated the darkness that pushed in around him, pain pulsing through him, and his body shaking. He could feel a hand stroking his hair, a familiar warmth near him. Trying to concentrate on the softly murmuring voice, Harry struggled towards it, but he couldn’t seem to move.

“Come on, Harry, fight it. You’re strong, wrap your magic around it and fight, son.”

“Any change, Remus?” Another voice, older and comforting to hear.

“No, Professor, no better, but no worse either,” tiredness radiated from the low, almost hoarse voice.

“Harry is strong, Remus, and he has fought for this long, that Poppy thinks he may have a chance. He has been able to overcome deadly venoms in the past, with Fawkes’ help. Severus is in his dungeons now, brewing a potion with Phoenix tears that he thinks might help.”

“And what of Warmuth?”

“Kingsley and Tonks are dealing with him, but he will not be communicating anything to Lord Voldemort, rest assured. Remus, you need to get some rest.”

“I am not leaving him alone, Professor.”

“I would not think of it, Remus, I will sit with him until Miss Granger and Mister Weasley arrive. They will sit with Harry this afternoon.”

The darkness closed in on him again and Harry was pulled back into oblivion. His dreams were pain filled, his left arm and shoulder burning, but he was aware of crooning voices, and warm, comforting hands stroking his hair and holding his hand. In the recesses of his mind, Harry knew that he was protected, and gave himself up to stopping the poison he felt trying to overwhelm him.

oOo

He was climbing out of a long black tunnel, clawing his way toward the top, towards the light he knew would be there. Pain still throbbed through his left side and head, but it was a dull, achy pain, not the searing, burning pain of his dreams. Focusing on the rumble of a deep voice, and the warm pressure of a hand clasped around his, Harry reached upward.

“Really, Potter, if I am willing to sit here and talk to you, the least you can do is concentrate,” there was a sigh, and the voice lowered. “Use that formidable magic of yours, Harry, focus it through the medallion around your neck, it will center you and amplify your magic. It is an extraordinary amulet, and very intriguing, as Lupin said the Phoenix came alive when you stroked it. I don’t even know why I bought the thing, although it does seem that I was right about giving it to you. Come now, Potter, focus.”

The hand holding his let go, and he heard a deep, weary sigh as Harry was finally able to force his eyes open. A blurry black form sat in the chair beside the bed, the room behind him shrouded in darkness. Harry could see that the man had his face buried in his hands, a dark curtain of shoulder length hair obscuring his features. Unable to get his throat to work, Harry reached out with a trembling hand, brushing it through the heavy swing of hair, his movements clumsy.

The black clad figure jumped, startled by the touch and whipping his black eyes up to meet emerald green eyes, he grabbed Harry’s hand and moving to sit on the edge of the bed. “Potter!”

Harry squinted at his Potions professor, trying to focus as he was gently urged into a sitting position, and a goblet of water held to his lips. Harry drank greedily, the cool liquid sliding down his parched throat.

“Easy, Potter, sip it slowly, or you will make yourself sick, and I have no desire to deal with a retching Gryffindor, again.”

“Thanks, Professor,” Harry rasped out, his voice hoarse, as he was settled back on his pillows, his glasses handed to him. He felt Snape press a finger over the watch on his left wrist, but found that he wasn’t able to move his left arm. “What happened?”

Snape seemed to hesitate, picking up a vial from the bedside table and holding it to Harry’s lips. “Open your mouth, and drink this,” Harry obeyed, wincing at the bitter taste as he swallowed. “Do you remember what happened Christmas night?” Harry nodded. “You have been unconscious the past four days, but have managed to survive the deadly poison that you were injected with.”

“How? Where’s…?” Harry coughed to try and clear the tightness from his throat.

“It is three in the morning, Potter, on the night of the full moon, so everyone else is either sleeping or incapacitated; therefore, you are stuck with me,” The Potions Master curled his mouth in a sneer, but there was no heat behind it.

Harry smiled. “I don’t mind, Professor,” his eyes started to drift shut again.

“Stay with me for a little while longer, Harry, the Headmaster should be here in a moment and I am sure that Madame Pomfrey will need to do her usual poking and prodding,” Snape leaned toward him, as Harry opened his eyes, onyx meeting emerald. “I believe I have you to thank for the Pensieve?”

Harry smiled and nodded. “It just sort of called to me when I saw it, Professor, but I did not think you would accept a gift from me, so…”

Running a finger under the collar of Harry’s pajamas, Snape drew out the golden medallion. “Yes, I am aware of that feeling, as this called to me as well,” he studied the scarlet image.

“Thank you, sir, it’s beautifu,” Harry’s right hand came up to stroke the medal, and Snape seemed fascinated as the Phoenix responded to Harry’s touch, stretching its wings.

“Remarkable,” he muttered as the doors to the hospital wing flew open.

Looking up, Harry saw the tall, imposing figure of Professor Dumbledore stride into the room, in a swirl of silver robes. “Poppy!” He called as he made his way to Harry’s bed, replacing Snape as the younger man stood. “Harry, how do you feel?”

“Not sure, sir, but it doesn’t hurt as much as it did,” Harry told him, his finger still stroking the medallion. “What happened exactly?”

“The poison Voldemort made was deadly, Harry, yet you have managed to survive it.”

“How?” Harry asked, bewildered.

“I am not complete sure, Harry, but I believe that is has to do with your prior exposure to both basilisk venom and that spider venom from the maze in your fourth year.”

But, sir, Fawkes helped me both those times,” Harry protested.

“And Christmas was a burning day for Fawkes, Harry; he was not able to help you.”

The Headmaster looked over his half-moon spectacles at him, the blue eyes serious. “It would seem that you have managed to develop a sort of immunity to poisons. When Fawkes aged adequately, he allowed Professor Snape to collect some tears, and Severus was able to brew a healing potion for you, that helped you expel the toxin,” Dumbledore studied him for a moment. “Your magic is truly amazing, Harry, and you have power that you are scarcely aware of,” he looked down at the medallion that Harry was absently stroking with a finger, the scarlet Phoenix now preening. “The amulet that Professor Snape has given you is very special, Harry, it has magical properties that will help you with your wandless magic.”

Madame Pomfrey bustled over and shooed the two men away from the bed as she bent down to examine Harry. Clutching her tongue and waving her wand over Harry, he closed his eyes as she checked him over. Vaguely remembering that he was supposed to stay awake, Harry smiled as he slid back into sleep.

oOo

Brightness greeted Harry the next time he opened his eyes, sharp and glaring and he groaned. He tried to lift his hand to block it, but found that it was held firmly by a warm soft hand that interlaced his fingers. Bushy brown hair immediately obscured the worst of the light, as Hermione leaned close, her warm brown eyes, luminous with worry, met his.

“Harry?” Leaning even closer, Hermione gently brushed the hair off his forehead with her right hand, and placed a soft kiss on his scar.

“H’mione?” Harry looked up at her blurrily, his tongue thick

Hermione let go of his hand and gently wrapped her arms around his shoulder, hugging him. Keeping one arm behind him, she reached over and brought a glass if water to his lips, and held as Harry drank. The glass was returned, and a vial of potion appeared.

“Professor Snape said you had to drink this as soon as you woke up.”

Harry knew it was the Phoenix tear potion and drank it obediently, grimacing as he swallowed the bitter liquid. “Ugh, why can’t he make it taste better?” He grumbled hoarsely.

“How do you feel, Harry?”

“Better, I think,” Harry sat up gingerly, with Hermione’s help. His head felt better, but his left arm and shoulder were still very sore. He found he could move his left hand, but not the arm. “Where is everyone?”

“Ginny relieved Snape early this morning, they are taking both taking naps; Ron just ran up to check on Remus; and I think everyone else is at lunch,” Hermione handed him his glasses, smoothing wrinkles out of the blanket covering him. “Professor Dumbledore said you woke up last night and talked to him and Professor Snape for a few minutes.”

Harry’s hand went to his neck, and he felt for the medallion. “I woke up at around three, and Snape told me that he was the one that gave me this,” he held the out the gold amulet. “Can you believe that?”

“Really?” Hermione looked startled, watching the Phoenix start to move as Harry held the medallion. “Why would he do that?”

“I dunno, but I think what Malfoy did had effect on Snape.” Harry softly, as he heard footsteps coming their way.

Madame Pomfrey came into view and ended their conversation. She fussed over Harry, checking him with her wand and eased his left arm into a sling. Explaining that the damage done by the caustic poison was being repaired, but the muscles would take a couple more days of healing before he’d be able to use his arm properly. Harry drank the potions he was given and felt relieved when the nurse bustled off to find him food.

Hermione settled back down on the side of his bed as Ron walked back into the hospital wing.

“Harry! How are you feeling, mate?” Ron settled on to the left side of the bed.

“Better, thanks, how’s Remus?”

Ron gave him a relieved smile. “Sleeping soundly in his room, no worse for the wear.”

Ron and Hermione spent the afternoon with him, talking quietly about what had happened and helping him eat the light lunch Madame Pomfrey brought in. Harry dozed off and on, but found someone by his side whenever he woke up. Six days after Christmas, he was allowed to return to the Gryffindor Tower, his arm still sore but otherwise whole and healthy.

The New Year came and went without fanfare. The teenagers welcoming in the start of the New Year snuggled in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room with whispers, giggles, and a fair amount of cuddling and snogging. Dobby had seen to it that they had butterbeers and cakes to snack on and the adults left them alone to celebrate.

Two days after the start of the year, Harry resumed his lessons with Remus in the Room of Requirement. It was ten days since the incident on Christmas and Harry was feeling almost back to normal, his left arm just a little stiff still. Starting him on rudimentary stretching movements with special emphasis on his arms and shoulders, Remus was explaining to Harry that he needed to make sure his body as well as his mind was ready, when the door opened. Professor Dumbledore entered the room his deep purple robes embroidered with silver crescent moons, and gave them both a smile, his eyes twinkling.

“Remus, Harry, I need you in my office in an hour for a meeting,” and the older man swept back out the door.

Harry exchanged glances with Remus, and they quickly went through Legilimens practice, before they left together for the Headmaster’s office. Harry’s hand went to the heavy gold chain around his neck, the feel of the warm metal reassuring.

“Remus, Snape told me that the Phoenix medallion had special properties for helping to focus wandless magic. Can I learn how to do that?” Harry asked his godfather.

“Professor Snape, Harry, we can ask him about it,” Remus stopped in front of the gargoyle. “Toffee.” Watching the statue jump aside, the two proceeded up to Dumbledore’s office.

Pushing open the door, Harry was surprised to see many occupied chairs lined up in front of the Headmaster’s desk. He looked from face to face, dropping his jaw in surprise; Mister and Mrs. Weasley stood talking to Bill and Tonks; Hagrid was by the window deep in conversation with Alastor Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt; Professors McGonagall, Flintwick, and Snape stood behind Dumbledore sitting at his desk; and Ginny, Ron, and Hermione sat in the chairs arranged in front of the desk, with Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom.

“Luna! Neville!” Harry exclaimed with a broad smile as he came in, and made his way over to sit in the empty chair next to Ginny.

“Hello, Harry, did you have a good Christmas?” Luna said in her ethereal voice, large eyes dreamily turning to look at him.

“Yeah, it was great!” Harry said automatically.

“Remus, if you would seal the door with a silencing charm,” Professor Dumbledore swept the faces in front of his with a twinkling blue gaze. “Thank you,” he said as Remus walked to stand beside Hagrid.

Dumbledore surveyed the room over the top of his half-moon spectacles. “I have asked all of you here this afternoon to discuss the very grave situation that we find ourselves in. Since the start of the Christmas holidays, there have been attempts on the lives of both Harry and Professor Snape,” Neville gasped. “With the start of the new term, I am afraid there will be more attempts, whether to injure or abduct, at the orders of Lord Voldemort. Unfortunately, every one of us is a potential target as well.”

“Each of you in this room has proven yourselves loyal to both Harry, and myself; each of you has at one point or another, been in the position to lay your lives down for either of us, or each other. I trust each and every one of you with my life, but more importantly, I trust you with Harry’s life.”

Harry frowned, looking up at the white haired man, feeling slightly embarrassed.

“And I know that Harry would not hesitate for a moment to lay down his life for any one of you. If fact, he has done just that on numerous occasions, and while he may not believe so, Harry is the most critical person in the fight to defeat Voldemort.”

“Is that what the Prophecy says, Professor Dumbledore?” Luna asked quietly her normally dreamy voice sharp with awareness.

Blue eyes sought out emerald green and with their approval, Dumbledore continued. “Yes, Luna, this is what the Prophecy says. For those of you in the room who don’t know, a Prophecy was made before Harry was born which said he would be the one with the power to defeat Voldemort.”

Harry dropped his head, his cheeks flushed, and his eyes staring unseeing at the black cloth of his robes. His hand came up to his neck and he pulled the heavy medallion from inside his clothes, his finger smoothing over the scarlet Phoenix. Maybe it was his imagination, but he could swear that the gold grew warmer in his hand, and the stroking motion seemed to have a calming effect.

“Luna and Neville, you proved your loyalties and abilities, as have Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, last June in the Department of Mysteries. Therefore, your parents and guardians have given their permission for those underage witches and wizards here, to join the Order of the Phoenix, abet as limited participants. This was agreed on and accepted by a vote of the Order,” Dumbledore paused, and Harry raised his head, meeting the twinkling blue eyes. “Well, Harry?”

“Yeah, I mean, yes, sir!” Harry could hear his words echoed by all of his friends sitting around him.

“Very well, the group represented here will be the core members that are charged with providing protection for Harry and each other. Tomorrow, every member of the DA who is willing has been invited back to Hogwarts a week early from the holidays to start advanced training, along with the student members of the Order of the Phoenix. Harry, you will continue your own advanced magical training with your friends, and we will be working with Luna and Neville to bring them up to speed. “Dumbledore met each of their eyes solemnly. “You all must remember that there must be absolute secrecy about the Order as well as the training you are receiving, and especially, complete secrecy regarding Harry’s training and magical abilities. Does everyone understand?”

“Yes, sir,” the teenagers all answered at once.

“There is some concern regarding your returning classmates,” Alastor Moody spoke up. “We have reason to suspect that some students have been indoctrinated by their own parents, and pressed into service for You-know-who.”

Harry and the others turned their heads to look at Moody, whose magical eye was bouncing from face to face.

“It is safe to assume that the children of known Death Eaters will be looking for any opportunity to make some kind of move against Potter and his friends, but know that there are those of the Houses other than Slytherin who may be in the service of the Dark Lord,” Severus Snape added, a harsh edge to his voice.

“Yes, Snape is correct, you must assume that anyone could prove a threat, especially given the Death Eaters fondness for the Imperius Curse and Polyjuice Potion. Report anything or anyone who is acting out of the ordinary, no matter how insignificant the observation,” Moody instructed.

“Yes, sir,” the teenagers again responded together.

“Professor Dumbledore?” Harry sat on the edge of his chair, his eyes focus on the black clad figure standing just behind the Headmaster. “May I ask Professor Snape to join in my training?” Harry thought he caught a glimmer of surprise in the onyx eyes that came to rest on him. “If you are willing, Professor, I would appreciate it.”

“As you wish, Mister Potter, I will assist in your training,” Snape’s words came out sneeringly, but there was not malice in the tone.

“Very good, Severus, thank you,” Dumbledore said with a delighted smile. “One last thing, I want you to stick together, and not to venture out alone at any time. No walking the corridors at night for any reason, not even with an invisibility cloak,” the Headmaster speared Harry with a sharp look. “The war has started, and we are in the front lines, you all must remember that.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1070