Home Is Where The Heart Is by Toria
Summary: Harry stays with Snape the summer after fourth year and gets a few unexpected surprises about Snape's life, particulary in regards to his family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Secretive
Genres: Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 23271 Read: 40464 Published: 21 Jan 2006 Updated: 04 Oct 2014
Chapter 4 by Toria

Harry woke the next day when he heard someone go down the stairs. Squinting at the clock on his bedside table he saw that it was only 6.15 and he rolled back over, pulling his bed covers more tightly around himself. Despite the fact that it was summer, he was cold. He didn't go fully back to sleep, but merely dosed on and off, in a half awake, half asleep state, until Jason came into his room at 6.45 and told him that it was time to get up and that breakfast was at 7.30, so he had time to shower before hand.

After Jason had shown him where the shower was, Harry gathered the clothes he wanted to wear together, making sure to include a hooded sweatshirt. He was really enjoying wearing hand-me-downs from Robin, as opposed to hand-me-downs from Dudley, and they were the first clothes apart from his school uniform and his Weasley jumpers that actually fit him. The nice warm shower did make him feel a bit better and warmer, and he had had the water so hot that his glasses were steamed up, but he still pulled the blue sweatshirt on, still feeling a slight chill.

Making his way down to the kitchen a few minutes later, Harry saw that Oliver looked as bad he was feeling, and was clearly acting fussy. Snape had placed him in a chair and told him to be quiet and to stop distracting his mother, and Harry figured that the small boy must not be fully awake yet. In many ways Harry saw the Potions Professor he knew from Hogwarts in Snape’s actions and words to Oliver, but in other ways he was very different, with a mellower, gentler feel to his actions. Taking a seat on the opposite side of the table, it was now no surprise when Carlotta came and sat next to him. Everyone seemed very quiet this morning, and Oliver at least did not look very happy and Harry started to get a really bad feeling about the day. Breakfast was a quiet affair and Harry found that he couldn't eat much, he simply wasn't hungry. Not many people ate much, but Harry didn't notice, not feeling fully awake himself, although on reflection later he wondered why Snape and Juliana had not made people eat everything that was on their plates. After his introduction to the way the Snape family worked yesterday, he would have assumed that that was one of the unspoken rules. After breakfast everyone went their different ways and Harry found himself in a small sitting room with Robin, Carlotta and Hazel, of whom Robin had the job of looking after. None of them felt like doing much, Hazel was amusing herself with a teddy bear and Robin had had gotten out a collection of football magazines and told Harry to feel free to look at them, and Carlotta was curled up reading a book. It was a quiet, restful morning, something that Harry felt he needed and at times he found himself almost falling asleep.

Before he knew it, it was lunch time and everyone once again gathered in the kitchen, to the news that Oliver was in bed, with the flu, caught from the rainstorm which had soaked them the evening before. Harry noticed at this announcement that Jason looked slightly guilty, but felt pretty certain that Snape would not blame his oldest son for his youngest son getting sick because he got caught in a rainstorm whilst he was in charge. No one could have predicted that rainstorm, and Jason had done his best to get them all inside before the worst of the storm hit, and he had mostly succeeded. But this was Snape, so you never knew, Harry completely did not know what to expect from his Professor, he had no idea of how to react to his teacher acting so different from what he was used to. He had not really stopped to think about how his teacher felt about having one of his least favourite students suddenly invading his private life.

Lunch was another almost silent affair, although this time everyone was made to eat everything that was on their plates and Harry barely managed to choke his down. He was not hungry and his throat was beginning to hurt, but he somehow managed because he did not want to know the consequences of disobeying this new head-of -the-family father-figure Snape and because the food was good, possibly even better than Hogwarts food, and certainly better than what he was used to at the Dursley’s house. Once everyone had finished eating, Laura and Carlotta cleared the table and started to wash the dishes, with Simeon being told to help them, as Juliana took Hazel upstairs to put her down for a nap and Snape went to check on Oliver. Harry escaped from kitchen and upstairs to his room, not really feeling in the mood for company, although he did wish he had one of the football magazines that Robin had lent him earlier, he just wanted some quiet time to be by himself and reading a magazine would be the perfect excuse. He stretched out on his bed, enjoying the coolness of the pillow and decided to just shut his eyes for a moment.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1081