Babies Can Teach a Valuable Lesson by preety_lady_serenity
Summary: Harry turns into a baby after an accident in Potions and Snape is assigned to become his guardian. But can Snape take care of a baby? And especially a baby like Harry? Alternative Universe, written before the HBP (posted firstly in ff.net in 01-30-04 )
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 122052 Read: 172822 Published: 30 Jan 2006 Updated: 01 Nov 2007
Dealing with spearation Anxiety by preety_lady_serenity
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer

Woolfy the Werewolf puppet stares at the sky: Before I start howling take into consideration that I am the most beautiful puppet of all times, and the characters do not belong to her but J. K. Rowling. Also sign this form in order for me to continue writing this story instead of her. YOWL!

Preety-lady-serenity enters: Excuse me; I believe I am the writer of this story. After all you cannot write.

Woolfy: Don’t interrupt my beautiful singing. YOWL! YOOOOOWLLLLLL!

“I am sorry Severus, there’s nothing more I can do!” the female voice said in defeat.

Severus Snape sighed in frustration and reminded himself on how much he hated the Potter-boy. It was simply irritating that the infant had decided that this was the time of “I-Do-Not-Want-To-Be-Away-From-My-Professor.” Separation Anxiety. How much Snape would hate it!

FLASHBACK

Everything started early that Monday morning, just a few hours ago. The Potion Master opened his eyes and let out a groggy sigh. He absolutely hated Monday mornings. He turned his head to the left and was amazed to see baby Harry fully awake. Snape felt the urge to growl. He, who wanted to go back to sleep, had no luxury into doing so. While the boy, who had all the Time in the World to sleep, was wide awake and played with a stuffed unicorn-toy. With eyes half-closed, the tall man walked into the bathroom.

-)-)-)

“WAAAAHHHHH!”

Snape shot up being startled. He looked at the old blade he was holding in his right hand and thanked whichever Great Witch or Wizard had been protecting him that moment. He shuddered and shook his head, as he thought himself moving his hand spasmodically because of the cry. He imagined the unbearable pain and the blood running down his cheek to his neck. He sighed in relief and looked at his covered-with-shaving-cream face.

“WAAAAHHHHH!”

Snape entered the room, still covered in shaving cream. He took the boy into his arms, which silenced immediately while he felt the warmness of his guardian’s chest. Baby Harry giggled, when he saw the man’s face.

“You think it is funny Potter? Well I don’t! I have to shave, and you are distracting me.” Snape commented and placed the boy on the mattress-like carpet. He placed some toys near the boy, including Bibi, and moved towards the bathroom. “Now be a good sport and play, while Professor Snape finishes his shave,” he said and took the razor once again.

He was about to place the blade against his cheek, when the baby boy’s wails echoed in the bathroom once again. Snape took a deep breath, while his mirror-image started banging his head against the wall’s image. He entered the bedroom and the boy silenced.

“Potter, do you mind? I need to shave in peace.” Snape exclaimed and narrowed his eyes. The boy stared as the man turned his back; and the moment his head got out of his vision, he began crying once again. The raven-haired man closed his eyes in despair and felt the urge of laugh hysterically.

“I just want to shave and lit the damn cauldron’s fire!” he though.

And then he had an idea. An idea that was so crazy that it might work. He entered the bedroom, took baby Harry and Bibi into his arms; and entered the bathroom once again. Placing the infant on the toilet-seat’s cover, he turned his attention to the mirror. No crying at all. At last, he could start shaving.

-)-)-)

Fifteen minutes later, Snape entered Madam Pomfrey’s office, as always, without knocking. The Healer shot up feeling startled and gifted Snape with a murderous glare. He just smirked in satisfaction. After the incident on Friday afternoon, Snape promised one thing to himself. If he could not hex her, he would just irritate her nuts. Simple, yet effective.

“Severus, how many times have I asked you to knock the door before entering?” Madam Pomfrey asked with her matter-of-fact voice.

“If we include my childhood years, I would say, forty-seven.” Snape answered back crisply.

“My goodness Severus, if I didn’t know you; I would have felt flattered that you keep a record of your irritating habit towards my face!” Madam Pomfrey remarked sarcastically and reached out to take baby Harry into her arms.

Yet the moment baby Harry felt the woman’s hands touching him, he let out a loud squeal and grasped Professor Snape’s robes as hard as his baby hands could hold. Madam Pomfey looked at Snape, who looked at her blankly.

“Has he done that before?” the Healer asked, as she let the infant rest into his guardian’s arms.

“No, as far as I know. But Potter has developed an irritating habit of wanting me around him all time long.”

The raven-haired man saw a glint in the witch’s eyes and he felt a shiver running down his spine. It was definite now. He was going to listen to something really bad. He felt baby Harry’s grasp intensifying. His squeals, however, subsided and he started chewing Bibi’s horn.

“So, little Harry is suffering from a severe case of Separation Anxiety?” Madam Pomfrey addressed, in a soothing tone, while she tried to catch the baby boy’s attention.

Baby Harry, looked at Madam Pomfrey and then hid his face in his guardian’s chest. Snape felt quite uncomfortable and coughed slightly. He, then, scowled at the Healer, who was smirking at his sight.

“I hate it when the woman takes that expression!” he thought and placed the baby on one of the beds with all of his toys.

Baby Harry sat quietly, holding his stuffed unicorn-toy into his hands. His attention, however, was focused at each one of his guardian’s moves. Snape turned to look at Madam Pomfrey in uncertainty. While he hated to admit it to himself, he felt reluctant leaving the boy alone and distressed.

“Oh do go to class Severus; and do not worry. He will cry, but he will get quiet soon enough.” the Healer commented quietly.

Snape turned around to leave. He opened the door and he was about to step outside, when he stopped dead at his trucks. He had just realised something very important. He turned around and eyed Madam Pomfrey with a venomous glare.

“Poppy, I certainly do not care about the boy’s welfare. Oh stop smiling!”

-)-)-)

Severus Snape that day like every day, apart from weekends that is, entered the Potions classroom in the castle’s dungeons; and started lighting the cauldron fires. Far from the common belief; that a person could easily just point a wand and lit a fire, Shape new that the truth was quite different. A worthy Potion Master, like he was, was fully aware that fires lit in a slapdash way, could result unpleasantly. In a mild catastrophe the outcome would have been a Potion with an awful taste and, in some cases, a hideous transformation. Yet in the worst, and most likely to happen, situation; the result was going to be a huge explosion followed by pickled ingredients being landed on student’s faces. And if Snape ever wanted something in his entire life, this was his valuable ingredients collection staying inside its jars.

Snape hummed to himself as he lit the last cauldron fire. When the fire was nicely adjusted to the correct temperature, he opened one of his mahogany desk’s drawers and took out a magical thermometer. Like Mrs Weasley’s magical grandfather-clock, the thermometer had words, instead of temperature, written on it. Professor Snape moved towards the middle of the classroom and raised it to his eye-level.

At the bottom of the magical thermometer, there was the inscription “You Are Supposed To Brew Potions Not Ice-cream”, while at the very top there was the written statement “Hell Must Have Broke Loose And I Foresee A Cauldron Exploding.” However the man’s eyes lingered, in satisfaction, at the middle of the magical instrument, where the phrase “Conditions Perfect – One Of A Kind Alchemist!” was written. It was at that moment that Snape heard a small “Psst!” coming from behind and he turned around to see a very anxious Madam Pomfrey’s head. He leaned down towards her and motioned his head.

“Severus,” the Healer said in defeat “I never thought I would say this, but I need your help in the Hospital Wing!”

END OF FLASHBACK

“What do you mean; there is nothing more you can do?” Snape asked, hoping that what he was about to hear, was not what he suspected it would be.

“You saw the state poor Harry was when you finally arrived. He was literary out of breath. He stopped crying the moment I gave him to you and from that moment on, he has clinged on your chest and refused to let you go. Apparently, the only solution is to take him in the classroom.”

“WHAT?”

“Listen to me Severus before you go ballistic.” Madam Pomfrey said, interrupting his outburst, “Baby Harry needs to feel relaxed when you leave a room. And to achieve that, you have to gain his trust.”

“Then what do you propose?”

“Now listen to me carefully . . .”

-)-)-)

“I must have gone MAD! What on Earth am I going to do with that thing in my class?” Snape pondered as he stood in front of the old wooden door. Sighing deeply, he entered the class.

Everyone in the classroom stared at the Professor, unable to utter a single word, from their amusement. Severus Snape, the most cold-blooded professor Hogwarts’ students have ever met, and were destined to fear, has entered the classroom, cuddling an infant. Now that was something to be recorded inside the new edition of “Hogwarts: A History.”

Baby Harry, who was resting inside his guardian’s arms, looked up from the man’s chest towards the rest of the classroom. Everyone was staring at him from behind their cauldron, uncertainty drawn on their faces. Then, smiling slightly, baby Harry brought his left hand to his mouth and blew a kiss towards the students’ direction.

“AWW, HOW SWEET!” every girl in the classroom squealed in unison and then they all started giggling together.

“Females around the world unite your mother instincts together!” Snape thought, ironically as he, along with the rest of the males, kept staring at the girls with a face-fault expression.

Coughing to himself slightly, he took out his wand and charmed the whole front of the classroom into a playpen area. The students tried to control their giggles. Snape in a playpen area! What more was left to be seen?

“If I hear, even the slightest suspicion of a giggle, you will all end up writing your Will. Did I make myself clear?” the raven-haired man exclaimed in a dangerous tone. Seeing that everyone had the “I-Got-The- Message-Professor” expression, he continued. “Now take the Potion List I gave you at the beginning of the year, and start brewing Potion number four.”

Everyone turned to his books and ingredients, while Snape sat down and started marking some essays. Ah, if only his life could get any easier.

-)-)-)

Luckily, baby Harry had decided to behave in an appropriate manner during the first lessons’ periods. Yet at the beginning of the fifth period, Snape understood that his luck was getting short. Not only had he a double period with the “Mischievous Fifth-Graders of Gryffindor and Hufflepuf”, but Potter decided that it was the “Time-To-Embarrass-Professor-Snape.”

Ah the Fifth-Graders! The most mischievous group of students in Hogwarts’ History! Many may thought that the appearance of the Weasley twins up to now, must had ensured that the Seventh-Graders, would be known as the most ill-behaved in Hogwarts’ Chronicles. And yet this was not true. The truth was that the Fifth-Graders were unbearable for a reason. The word “Silence” was not understood by them.

For example Miss Weasley proved soon enough that she was both the Twins in one. The girl was a major practical joker, rebellious and if anyone was caught in her bad mood swings he would suffer. Mr Creevey had the annoying habit to take his photographic machine anywhere. The professor knew that the boy only waited for him to turn around in order to photograph anyone secretly. As for Miss Stevenson of the Hufflepuf house, well the girl could not stop speaking. He had threatened with detention but the girl would continue talking. Snape had found himself in the verge of shouting “SHUT UP!” more than a thousand times. Luckily, however, he always managed to remind himself that he was a gentleman. Then he would give her detention.

It was during a speech that baby Harry decided to interrupt.

“The rare Emerald Lilly can be gathered once every four years. It takes this outstanding plant four whole years to blossom, and it must be cut during the first half hour of its life to maintain his amazing abilities. After thirty minutes of blossom, it turns back to a seed. When it comes to Potions this plant . . .”

“GA!” a very irritated baby Harry’s voice was heard. Everyone, including Snape turned his head towards the boy.

Baby Harry was sitting near professor Snape’s legs. When the Potions Master stared at him, Harry scowled and hit his little hand against his guardian’s left leg. A few giggles were heard, as Snape kept staring the baby blankly. Baby Harry waited silently for a couple of moments.

“Moo, Goof!” he shouted at Snape causing a hysterical laughter to fill the room.

“Goof? Do I look like a Goof to you, Potter? Severus, you are hallucinating once again. He cannot speak yet, he is just bubbling!” Snape thought as he kept staring at Potter, wondering of what the boy wanted.

Seconds later, and seeing that his guardian did not intended to move, baby Harry crawled behind the professor and pressed his head between the man’s legs. Snape’s felt the urge to curse in embarrassment, since he finally understood the obvious. Potter wanted to crawl under the table. Moving aside, to let the boy pass, Snape turned to face all the teenagers that were laughing, being out of breath.

“I am pleased that this little incident brought you back from Dreamland, but we have to continue our lesson.” Snape spoke acidly, as the students’ laughter turned to snickering.

“Now as I was saying, when it comes to Potion this extraordinary flower has many multiple uses. A spoonful of its petals, in a de-hydrated form, is the ultimate ingredient of the Wolfsbane Potion, while a . . .”

Snape stopped once again as he felt someone tagging his robes. Lowering his gaze once again, he looked at baby Harry. The infant raised Bibi towards Snape and cried out happily.

“Pi! Bibi pi do!”

“Oh Merlin what am I going to do with this boy?” the professor pondered as the whole classroom started snickering once again. “Stupid Brats! What are they laughing about? Now I will show them!” he thought greeting his teeth and he lowered down to take baby Harry into his arms. Then he turned to face the classroom that kept snickering.

“Since you find my lesson so amusing,” he started by closing his eyes into slits, “I feel that there is no reason to continue. Your homework for Wednesday is to write a six-foot essay about the different uses of the Emerald Lilly. I want to know how each part of the flower can be used in both hydrated and de-hydrated form, the taste it creates when it is added to the Potion and its side-effects if it is ill-used. Now, there is no use to moan like that. Class Dismissed!”

The students stood up and emptied the classroom. Snape heard a faint “Heartless Git!” and assigned Mr Williams an evening-worth detention. He, then, turned to the baby boy who looked him straight into the eyes and giggled happily. Though he felt reluctant to admit it, he knew that it was time to ask for her help.

-)-)-)

Snape looked at the old wooden door that he had seen a lot of times before in the past. He stood still and weighed his options. He did not want to ask for the woman’s help. It was not only the mere fact that she still regarded him as the younger ex-student she had once met years before. It was also the fact that his proud Slytherin spirit did not wanted to ask her help from all the other Professors in this school. However he was clearly out of choices and he did not want to re-live the day's experience ever again. Looking around, to make sure that no student was around, he knocked the door.

“Enter!” a quick, yet warm voice, escaped from behind the door that led into the office.

The door opened and revealed a scowling Snape that hold a happy little baby Harry into his arms. Minerva McGonagall gaze softened as she pointed towards a chair near her wooden desk. Snape growled and sat.

“How can I help you Severus?” McGonagall asked smiling slightly.

“Minerva,” Snape spoke softly “I would appreciate it, if you stop snickering like that. You haven’t stopped doing this since yesterday and it has started getting to my nerves!”

“I can’t help myself Severus. You two were so sweet!”

“Oh for Unicorn’s Glazing Eyes! How many times do I have to repeat that; Severus Snape is wicked? Not sweet. Not soft. And if you don’t believe me, you can ask any other student you want.

“No need to do so Severus. I saw that little first-grader eyeing me apprehensively after you snickered at her during breakfast,” McGonagall chuckled. “The poor one was looking at me with those pleading eyes that seemed to shout ‘Please don’t let him eat me Professor!’ Has the rumour about you being a vampire revived again?”

“This is what I believe. Tell me Minerva, do you have any idea how are those rumours manage to linger over the years? Since I got the job as a Potions Master, this rumour comes and goes. I don’t know but it seems to me quite obvious that the fact that I am teaching in daylight, sleep at night and I can see my face in the mirror are a major substantiation that I am not a vampire. What more do this blasted children need from me?”

“A smile and some colourful robes!” McGonagall thought; but replied, “Don’t worry Severus, as it came it will pass. Now what is the purpose of your visit? Let me guess, you want help with little Harry over here?”

“How did you know that?” Snape questioned her, trying to hide his amazement.

“I had a talk with Poppy this morning and I was hoping that you would request for some help.”

“Memo to myself: Kill The Damn Healer!" Snape thought and gritted his teeth. However, seconds later, he smirked.

“Don’t get any ideas of importance Minerva,” he snickered. “The only reason I ask for your help is because no other professor is available. It is an unfortunate event that you and I; have free time at the same hour.”

“Don’t worry Severus, I won’t. So, how is it going to be done?”

“Poppy advised me to leave the boy here each day and increase the period of my absence steadily. Let’s begin with a period of ten minutes shall we?”

“Ten minutes? Isn’t that a short time?” McGonagall asked in surprise.

“Not for Potter. I have my doubts that you can even survive five minutes with him. I better go,” he stated, put Harry on the floor, and stood forward.

“Severus,” she said stopping him, “I know I am no expert in babies but I am aware that you must say goodbye to him and assure him that you will be back before you leave.”

“DAMN!” Snape thought “I hate it when women take that look of superiority!”

Yet having no option, he kneeled and stared into Harry’s big green eyes.

“Ok Potter, be a good sport and wait for Professor Snape to return from his walk. Try not to torture professor McGonagall, much.”

He was about to stand up when he saw McGonagall motioning with her hand. Sighing deeply, he passed his hand over the boy’s head, in a weird attempt to pet and not pet the boy’s hair.

“See Minerva? I granted your wish. Have a nice ten-minute moment with him.”

And with those words, he closed the door behind him.

-)-)-)

“WAAAAHHHHHH!”

“Now, now dear. Professor Snape will be here soon.” McGonagall said soothingly and gave him a stuffed ball from near by. “Why don’t you try to play with this little ball until he comes?”

“GRAAAAHHH!” baby Harry shouted and tossed the toy away, hitting a basket that contained a pillow and a ball of yarn.

“Mr Potter, that was not very nice!” McGonagall exclaimed seriously and picked the ball up.

“WAAAAHHHHHH!”

The Transfiguration professor sighed and shook her head. Though she felt reluctant to admit it, baby Harry was very difficult to handle. He was so much different from the quiet sixteen-year old Harry Potter. Maybe if she took him into her arms, she could make him relax.

“Harry, give me back my glasses and stop crying. You are giving Aunt Minerva a dreadful headache. Now, now . . .”

“WAAAAHHHHHH!”

“Oh by Merlin’s Square-Lenses Spectacles . . .” McGonagall uttered and placed baby Harry on her desk, who once again took her glasses and refused to give them back. For how much time had this boy been crying? Now wonder Severus Snape was the only one to handle him.

The door opened and McGonagall saw a very black blurry image. Baby Harry’s wails ceased, and her glasses were given back to her. For the first time in her life, McGonagall felt the urge to scream in delight after seeing Snape.

“So how did it go?” the tall man asked blankly, as he wiped the boy’s tears and nose with a handkerchief.

“If we disregard the fact that I am temporally deaf at my right ear from too much screaming, I would say it went well.” McGonagall answered seriously while her insides were screaming with delight “AT LAST IT IS OVER! IT IS FINALLY OVER!”

“Shall I bring him tomorrow then?”

“Certainly Severus. I think he has started to like me!”

Snape just nodded and closed the door behind him. However he could not help himself but to whisper into the boy when he turned down the corridor:

“Potter, I hope you will not kill the woman by the end of the week.”

When the door closed behind her, Minerva McGonagall leaned back at her chair and closed her eyes. A small ringing echoed inside her ears and she had a terrible headache.

“By Merlin, this boy hates me!” she whispered faintly and gave her self a mental order to ask Poppy for a Nerve-Calming Potion.

-)-)-)

The days followed in the same pattern. Harry would scream as frenzy as a Banshee and would not stop until Snape would enter the room. By Friday, however, baby Harry turned more relaxed to the idea of the Potions Master absence. McGonagall managed to engage him to some playing activities and had she could swear that when Snape arrived from “his walk”, Harry had called her ‘Miva,’ while he waved goodbye to her. When the door closed behind her, she sighed. Next time she was going to see Harry; he was going to be nine-months old.

The End.
End Notes:

Woolfy: YOOOWLLL! It’s finished. YOOOWWLLL!

preety-lady-serenity: Someone make him Shut Up! Oh my poor ears. Treat them by reviewing



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1087