Babies Can Teach a Valuable Lesson by preety_lady_serenity
Summary: Harry turns into a baby after an accident in Potions and Snape is assigned to become his guardian. But can Snape take care of a baby? And especially a baby like Harry? Alternative Universe, written before the HBP (posted firstly in ff.net in 01-30-04 )
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 122052 Read: 172470 Published: 30 Jan 2006 Updated: 01 Nov 2007
Discoveries. by preety_lady_serenity
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer:

Woolfy: Can the characters belong to preety-lady-serenity? Of course not. They belong to J. K. Rowling. Rowling is the real author, preety-lady-serenity is – I don’t have an idea what she is.

Just to remind you this:

Behind the Slytherin goal-posts, however, two hundred people were wearing green; the sliver serpent of Slytherin on their flags, and Professor Snape sat in the very front row, wearing green like everyone else, and a very grim smile.’

(HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Quidditch Final, p.330, Brit. Version)

The black-robed man staggered and fell on the floor with an ungraceful ‘thump’. He watched as the spectacled boy drew long breaths, trying to find his pace. Through the constant Occlumency lessons Snape had realised one thing. The fact that Potter was younger helped him succeed. The boy had gained the ability to trace Snape in his memory, however painful the surrounding might was. On the other hand, the boy had not yet managed to control himself when he would repel his guardian. Instead of using his mind’s power, baby Harry would still react physically; hitting him. In fact, Snape was feeling happy that he had not started developing a back-problem as he was often struck hardly on the ribs.Baby Harry, though he did not look like a baby anymore at the age of three-and-a-half, drew a final breath and relaxed. Snape moved near him.

‘That was good Harry, but not good enough. You do an excellent job finding me in the background, but you are still unable to repel me with your mind. Let us try again, shall we?”

Harry motioned his head in agreement. Snape pointed his wand at the boy and whispered a ‘Leglimiens’. This time a memory of the week before appeared.

FLASHBACK

The man watched himself sitting on the grass, watching carefully as the toddler climbed on a slide. When the boy reached the op, he sat carefully and let himself slide. Snape stood up, when the boy run towards him. Suddenly soft music disturbed the park’s quietness as a small ice-cream truck appeared and stopped. Baby Harry looked on the ice-cream truck longingly and then shook his head. He knew he was not allowed any ice-cream and he had no intention to ask for any. After all, as aunt Petunia said, only little boys with real families deserved ice-cream.

“Do you want a scoop Harry?” Snape asked, craving the sweet taste of a chocolate scoop into his mouth.

Harry turned to stare his guardian in amazement. Was he allowed to have an ice-cream? Never in his life was he allowed such a pleasure. He nodded immediately, fearing that Sevvus would change his mind.

Harry received the ice-cream cone and started licking it happily, savouring the taste of strawberry that he had asked for. He loved the taste this cold sweet thing left at his tongue. He eyes his guardian for a moment, and watched as the older man bit his scoop. He did the same as well, only to discover that the coldness intensified, making his eyes watery.

“Sevvus.”

Severus Snape was sitting on the grass and was eating his ice-cream, absent-mindedly. It seemed queer but when it came to ice-cream, his thoughts would halt and he; would just enjoy the cold taste.

“Yes,” he mumbled absent-mindedly, turning his head to see the boy. He was once again caught in surprise.

“Wan to trwy?” the boy asked enthusiastically and pushed the ice-cream against Snape’s face.

Snape found himself muffled by the ice-cream cone as the lower part of his face was smeared with the strawberry-flavoured scoop. His eyes enlarged in shock as he realised how dirty and sticky he was going to look after that encounter. The boy withdrew the ice-cream from his face and looked at him joyfully.

“Teink you forw the asi-krem.”

END OF FLASHBACK

Snape watched the entire scene, waiting for the boy to act. Yet nothing seemed to be happening. It took Harry a long time and he wondered what was preventing the boy from an attempt to repel him. He drew a long breath and retreated from the boy’s memory. He found himself in his chambers while Baby Harry looked around with a dazed expression.

“Harry, why didn’t you repel me?” he asked immediately.

Baby Harry lowered his eyes as he seemed to realise something.

“I – I – I – forw-gooet. Sorwy.”

“You forgot? But how did this happen?” Snape enquired in puzzlement.

“I . . . like what I see. Nice. I saw and I forw-gooet,” he said shyly.

“This is all for today,” Snape said softly trying to process what he had just heard.

Harry rose and moved towards his toys. Snape felt his skin tremble when he finally realised what had happened. Baby Harry would ignore unhappy memories but he would be distracted by happy visions, like every human being. Snape thanked his stars he had found out. Harry’s happy memories involved both him and the boy. If he wanted to protect this part of his life until the summer vacation, he had to start training the boy soon enough.

-)-)-)

Minerva McGonagall sat behind her desk and scribbled in the corners of the parchment as neatly as the limited space would allow her to do. The ‘tick-tack’ of the clock showed that it was almost nine-thirty and she was expecting her visitor any moment soon. A single knock echoed in her office and she looked up leaving a rather bored ‘come in.’

“Hello,” a child squealed happily and run towards her, followed by a rather indifferent black-robed man.

“Good morning Harry.”

“Sevvus says I spent all day with you.”

“So it seems,” the woman said, smiling at the boy.

“I have learnt a new song!” baby Harry exclaimed enthusiastically.

“That is wonderful Harry dear,” McGonagall said, eyeing Snape with a smirk of sadistic joy, “You can sing it to me when Severus will leave.”

The young man curled his lip to his ex-professor’s expression and turned his attention to the stuck of books in her library.

“So Severus, do you think your house will be able to cope with Ravenclaw? McGonagall asked, drawing his attention.

“Of course they will. What kind of a silly question is that?” Snape answered back immediately.

“Weird year for the school’s Quidditch Cup don’t you agree?” McGonagall sneered. “The Hufflepuffs are, for the first time in a century, the undisputed Cup Winners, the Ravenclaws come next and our Houses are only with a two point difference. If Slytherin win today’s final match we share the third place together. On the contrary if your house loses, it will be for the first time in two-hundred and twenty-two years that Slytherin will be on the bottom.”

“You draw pleasure from the entire situation, don’t you Minerva McGonagall?” the younger man, said narrowing his eyes.

“Yes Severus, in fact I do,” McGonagall answered back with a cat-like smile. “After all you and your Slytherins must decide whether you will share the same position with the Gryffindors or lose and find yourself on the very bottom. You do not have much of an option, I believe.”

Snape felt annoyed with the whole situation. His house would never share a thing, especially with the ‘always-saints’ Gryffindors. On the other hand, the Slytherins were not the ones that would accept to suffer a humiliating defeat. There was not an option indeed. As much as the idea made him, and every other Slytherin, shudder; the only option was for them to win that day’s match, a match that he was going to attend to.

Minerva McGonagall came to him the week before and offered to look after baby Harry, so that he, Snape, would be able to attend the Quidditch match. Snape, who had missed the previous three games, because of too much workload and baby-load, accepted her offer and thanked his lucky start that she had done so, for he would never, asked a Gryiffndor’s help; even if he was dying to watch that match.

“It’s time to go Harry,” he said to the boy, while he profoundly ignored the Transfiguration professor’s intense gaze, “Now remember what we said?”

“I will liten to Mierwa,” Harry said.

“And?”

“I will do all she says.”

“And?”

“I no touch anyting before I ask forw perw – perw – I must know it is good to touch.”

“Good boy. I will see you later then.”

“Bye-bye Sevvus,” the boy said and wrapped his miniscule hands around the man’s hips in an attempt for a hug.

Snape let out a low uncomfortable grumble and brushed his hand on the boy’s head before turning to his heels and exiting the room.

-)-)-)

The black-haired professor descended the stairs, heading towards the Dungeons, where the Slytherin common room and dormitories were situated. He was on the second floor when he stopped. He usually passed this floor without a second glance. In the northeast wing of the second floor was never occupied by students or teachers. Therefore unlike a Gryffindor, if Snape had no reason to go there, then he would simply pass the place. Yet, that day he stopped. He stopped because he had an abrupt whisper, followed by the sound of footsteps.

Snape titled his head to the direction the whisper, or was it a set of two different ones, were coming from. Who was in the northeast wing and most importantly, what was doing there? He tapped his foot and turned towards the direction he had heard those whispers. A muffled squeal was heard and he narrowed his eyes as he moved towards the direction the noise came from.

Severus Snape was man that was not taken by surprise easily. Yet, as he turned the corner he found himself taken by surprise and extreme discomfort. Hermione Granger, a Gryffindor and a know-it-all, and Ron Weasley, a Gryffindor and the last son of the Wealsey family, were embraced in a passionate hug. The redhead’s face was buried in the girl’s bushy hair, while the girl face covered as she had placed her head on the boy’s chest. Snape was pretty sure that his face was flushing red and he caught himself wondering if he was ever hugged like that. He scowled at the thought and tried to make his flushing submerge as he let out a very loud tat.

Granger’s head shot up and looked at him in embarrassment, while the Weasley boy kept stared dizzily at the wall, a smile transfixed on his face.

“And may I ask what is going on here?” Snape whispered slowly.

The bushy-haired girl kept looking at him in embarrassment while her work started moving as if she tried to find the perfect words to explain this.

“We . . . emm. . . we were . . .”

“No need to answer that Miss Granger,” Snape smirked, “I simply imposed a rhetorical question. I can clearly see that you two were not practising on Potions, though Mr. Weasley does seem to need some extra help on them,” he continued, “I have perfectly seen what was happening. For such a performance I think it would be appropriate to take out five points from Gryffindor. After all that is why the school has provided you with the Grounds and your Common Room. “

With those words, he turned to his heels and turned around, feeling slightly annoyed that despite his words and points-take off Mr. Weasley had not dismissed that silly grin from his face.

-)-)-)

Professor Severus Snape braced himself as he stopped in front on the wall that encases the door leading to Slytherin Common Room. The Dungeons were the only place in Hogwarts that despite the warming charms and the ever-lit fireplaces was always wet and cold. In fact, there was a myth between the Slytherins that this was Godric Gryffindor’s doing. It was believed that when Salazar Slytherin abandoned the castle; Godric Gryffindor cursed the Dungeons, where Slytherin passed his time teaching his handful of students, into ever-lasting coldness.

Snape could never know if that myth was true. From what he had experienced, it might as well as be true. It was a fact, however, that the sunlight never reached the Dungeons; giving the Slytherins the feeling that there night-time was always present.

“No wonder Slytherins students are always so cross,” Snape thought bitterly.

The man seriously believed that anyone would be grumpy if he was forced to live in the Dungeons, never seen by the sun, because of a stupid idea that instructed that a House’s Dormitory would be at the area where its founder used to teach. No one seemed to care about it, even though the Slytherins looked unhealthily pale throughout the year.

“Comitiatus Dignosco.”

The stone door in the wall slid open and the man entered the Common Room. The long, low underground room was semi-dark and cold as usual. Green lamps hanged from the chains and gave the room this queer green luminous environment. A huge fire was blazing happily inside the ornamented fireplace and around him there were many carved armchairs, study-tables and chairs.

Usually the Common Room was quiet at Saturday mornings as most students would be out in the Grounds enjoying the sun, or studying in the much more luminous library. That Saturday morning, however, the room was filled with a wave of euphoric liveliness. The first years and second years were carrying a huge rolled banner, which Snape guessed would cover the front of the Slytherin seats. Most girls were scattered around the dormitory holding silver-green flags, while the boys mumbled their wand incantations, so that they would not cause the room to burst into decorations, over and over again.

The moment he entered the room fell silent. The Slytherins hurried into two lines, boys on the left and girls on the right, their own way to greet their Housemaster. The first years were in the front and the years continued until the seventh years would stand at the end of the line.

“Good morning. Ladies. Gentlemen,” he said bowing his head towards each of the line.

“Good morning professor,” most students said in unison. Yet others kept looking at the floor grimly, remaining quiet as if they had not heard his greeting.

Snape knew those students. They were the ones that had taken the fact that he had taken Potter under his protection as an outrageous insult. They were the ones that wanted to owl their parents and inform them about the Potion Master’s actions. Yet, they could not since they were under constant supervision by their classmates that would never leave them get close to an owl, in Hogsmeade. As for Hogwarts owlery, most Slytherins had understood that the faculty had placed a ward so strong that they could not even scribble the situation down. In fact, Draco Malfoy had once tried to write it in a coded message, just to see if he could. He was, nevertheless, overcome by a state of panic so strong that Snape was called to the Owlery by Crabbe and Goyle, in order to revive the trembling student. Needless to say it was the last time a Slytherin student attempted to scribble Potter’s situation in the owlery, or the castle.

“Is the team ready?” he asked eyeing around.

“They headed to the dressing rooms from before breakfast.”

“Good. All right now, let’s get going shall we?” he said and turned to his heels.

The two lines followed him in the Quidditch pitch.

-)-)-)

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen to what seems to be a very exciting game!” the voice of young Henry Getriewaller, of the Hufflepuff house filled the stadium, “Today it is the final game for this season. RAVENCLAW VERSUS SLYTHERIN!”

Loud cheers erupted from both Houses to the announcement.

“For the Ravenclaw house we have the Quidditch captain Gerald Johansson in the position of a Chaser. Coming behind him is Daniela Tristan and Dante Tristan, our twin Chasers! Following up is Okoth Aguji their Keeper and close behind him the Beaters Sergio Bloom and Cassio Poof. And last, but not least the Ravenclaw Seeker Cho Chang!”

The Ravenclaws clapped furiously as their team zoomed into the Quidditch pitch.

“And here it is the Slytherin team. For the three chasers we have Adrian Pucey, Federico Fadey and Maximus Novem. Coming up next is Paulette Sun, the first female Keeper and an excellent selection after the graduation of Marcus Flint. Eugene Bole and Laurence Roseplum is the Slytherin Chasers ladies and gentlemen. Now last but not least, the Slytherin Quidditch captain and seeker, Draco Malfoy!”

Loud cheers, equivalent to roars, escaped from every Slytherin’s mouth as the players in green robes zoomed into the stadium and formed their half of the circle.

“MISS ROOKS TAKE YOUR SEAT IMMEDIATELY!” Snape shouted due to noise and shock, as he brought his hand foreword and grabbed a first year’s robe, who had half-hanged herself from the edge of the wall in over-excitement.

The girl was forced to her sear with a fake pout. She suddenly smiled mischievously and cried out.

“Nice scarf, sir!”

Indeed Snape had tied a silver-green scarf around his neck, like every time Slytherin game had an important match to play. Unlike the common belief that Severus Snape enjoyed nothing, the reality was different. Severus Snape enjoyed watching Quidditch. In fact he never missed a chance to watch a game. He also enjoyed watching Slytherin’s important games, for during those occasions he could sit with his students and shout in excitement without feeling he was acting inappropriately. The bad thing with those situations, nevertheless, was that Slytherins loved to throw teasing comments, not that he would remain quiet to them; that is.

To Miss. Rooks comment, Snape just smirked.

“Thank you Miss. Rooks, but flattery will get you nowhere. I still expect better Potion results.”

“You got me there, sir!” she replied smirking.

“I taught you well,” he simply said and turned his attention to the game.

Pucey had thrown the ball to Novem and he was zooming towards Aguji’s hoops when Poof sent a Bludger to Novem’s direction. Someone cried out ‘Bludger’ and he threw the Quaffle towards Fadey, before sending his Nimbus Two-Thousand-And-One upwards. Johansson zoomed in front of Fadey and grabbed the Quaffle before the latter could react. It seemed to be double bad luck for the Slytherin Quidditch team as Novem collided into one of the huge posts that held the stadium.

Snape winced. That must have really hurt. In the meantime Sun speeded from hoop to hoop waiting for an attack. The Tristan sister threw the Quaffle to her brother, over and over again. Snape could only but watch their constant exchange, for they hoped to confuse his Keeper. They threw the Quaffle. Snape drew a breath.

Sun saved it!

“Yes!” his voice connected with his students, “I did not chose her for nothing you know!” he cried to the Ravenclaw team.

Snape turned to the crowd of Slytherins and motioned them to start cheering.

“WHICH TEAM HAS COLOUR GREEN?” the seventh years shouted.

“SLY-THE-RIN!” everyone chanted in unison.

“WHICH TEAM RULES THE PITCH?” the seventh years insisted.

“SLY-THE-RIN!”

“WHICH TEAM THE RAVENCLAWS THINK THEY WILL WIN?”

“SLY-THE-RIN!”

“BUT WHICH IN THE END WILL GET THE SNITCH?”

“SLYTHERIN! SLYTHERIN! SLYTHERIN!”

Snape smiled to himself. There were some recites that were from the time he was a student. In fact some of them were created by him, when the Slytherin team was preparing for a match. The one they were chanting at that moment was one of his. Yet, this was not his favourite creation. In fact one was, but he usually told the Slytherins off for using it. Yet, that day he would loved to hear it.

He could only turn his attention to the game. Draco Malfoy seemed to be teasing Cho Chang. He flied in front of her and seemed to lead her to different areas of the pitch. He would zoom around her and then dive down, making her follow him. Snape knew of such a strategy. Draco Malfoy was constantly pretending to have seen the snitch in order to catch her attention and make her follow. He would seem serious and determined, as if he had seen the snitch for real. Then, he would stop, smirk at her, or even blink and change direction. In fact, this reminded Snape of the old Muggle story of the ‘Boy Who Cried Wolf’. The tactic was simple. Cho Chang would follow him so many times, that at one point she would stop. And that would eliminate her possibilities to follow him around and spotting the snitch herself.

“The score is currently fifty for Slytherin, forty for Ravenclaw,” Getriewaller’s voice got his attention. “Let me remind that if Slytherins wins, it will be the first time in Hogwarts’ history that two houses will tie up and there will be no fourth place. Tristan to Tristan – Dante Tristan has been hit by a Bludger directly sent from Bole. Oh that’s going to hurt tomorrow morning. Pucey has got the Quaffle! Pucey to Novem to Fadey. They throw the Quaffle to each other so fast, that you can barely see it. Oh, something is happening between the two Seekers.”

Everyone turned to see the Seekers. Malfoy had seen the Snitch and was whooshing with all his might. Cho Chang, proud owner of a new Shooting Star Two-Thousand-One, was trying to catch up. Malfoy had an earlier start but Chang was much lighter. They passed one another in circle following something that glinted at a second and then disappeared. The agony made his hold his breath.

“SING HIM THE SONG!” Goyle shouted in a moment of inspired wickedness.

Snape saw everyone rising up. Then a roar of booming, sonorised voices filled the Quidditch pitch.

“STAND UP AND CHEER FOR SLYTHERIN HOUSE!”

It was The Song, indeed. The same one, which Snape, the Potion Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had created in the age of sixteen. He suddenly felt embarrassed.

“WE WILL HEX YOUR DOG AND SEDUCE YOUR SPOUSE!”

Draco zoomed even more. Snape could almost smell the adrenaline coming out from the Slytherins. And for the first time in his entire teaching career, Severus Snape could not control his mouth.

“STAND UP AND CHEER FOR SLYTHERIN HOUSE!” he found himself screaming with his students.

Draco Malfoy was first. Then it was Chang. He could guess they were both perspiring like mad.

“WE WILL HEX YOUR DOG AND SEDUCE YOUR SPOUSE!”

Draco Malfoy reached out to get the feathered ball.

“STAND UP AND CHEER FOR SLYTHERIN HOUSE!”

Hand outstretched, fingers ready to wrap around the ball.

“WE WILL HEX YOUR DOG AND SEDUCE YOUR SPOUSE!”

Hand closing to a palm and Draco Malfoy rising up into the air with a cry of success.

HE DID IT! HE BLOODY DID IT!”

“MISS ROOKS DO YOU WANT TO KILL YOURSELF? GET DOWN THAT WALL OR I WILL DO SOMETHING DRASTIC ABOUT YOUR TENDENCY TO CLIMB WALLS LIKE AN INFERNAL SPIDER!”

-)-)-)

The usually quiet Slytherin Common Room was filled with loud cheers. A wave of black robes entered it, holding six figures dressed in silver-green robes. For the last fifteen minutes the Slytherin Quidditch team was carried around Hogwarts, while the carriers were cheering. Wanting it, or not, everyone ought to knew that Slytherin was the winner.

“THE FATE YOU WERE ALL AFRAID OF,

“YOU COULD ONLY MEET!

“FOR DRACO MALFOY GOT THE SNITCH!

“SLYTHERIN COULD ONLY WIN!” they all chorused as they entered. Yet what their eyes met made them fall silent.

Draco Malfoy, who was sitting in Crabbe’s and Goyle’s shoulders and was carried around, looked at the Common Room in surprise. The walls were covered with what it seemed to be a glass surface that projected images of the match. He climbed off his mates’ shoulders and watched in satisfaction himself waving to Chang as he had managed to trick her once again. On the study tables huge serving plates were scattered that were full with piles of sandwiches, chocolate-fudge, cheese-scones and éclairs. At the sides of each table there was a vast amount of bottles full of butter-beer, and Draco could not help but think that their number was equivalent to the entire stock of the ‘Leaky Cauldron’. He turned in amazement to see the ones responsible for such an arrangement only to find out that every Slytherin wore the same expression.

“I find you liked my surprise,” a deep voice said.

They all turned to find their Housemaster sitting on an armchair in the shadows. He had his fingers knitted together and wore an expression that reminded most of them of a panther that had just enjoyed a jovial meal.

“Excellent game team,” he commented. “It was more than enjoyable I must say. Pucey, Bole that was a very good last game. You have my deepest admiration. Now, now do eat. I know you need it. Especially you Malfoy.

Draco was indeed in need for food. The night before was a complete nightmare, as his sleep was often disrupted by queer and highly worrying images. He firstly dreamt that his broomstick went missing and that he was given a toy-broomstick to ride for the game and then he saw a dream that the Snitch went vicious and started chasing him and biting him. He could also recall two other dreams but the details seemed to disappear. By the morning he felt that even the aroma of food could make him vomit, so he missed breakfast and retreated in the team’s dressing rooms, feeling that being a Quidditch Captain was one thing too stressful. Needless to say he found the team there in the same state as he was.

“You won’t stay to celebrate, sir?” he asked as he saw the black-haired man rising from his seat and moving towards the door.

“I would rather not mister Malfoy. I have too much work to spent valuable time with teenagers, whose hormones left them with no sense of mind. Yet in the case someone needs me I will be at my office.”

-)-)-)

Snape brushed a strand of stray hair away from his face as he leaned over the fumes of a babbling cauldron. He had to be extremely careful. He had to squeeze a piece of green lime in such a way so that only five drops would land inside the bubbling mixture. A drop more could result to an explosion towards his face and the very painful procedure of the removal of skin, similar of being skinned alive.

One drop, two, three, four, five,” he counted inside really slowly as the juice fell drop by drop.

He rose to full height and started stirring the mixture very quickly. Suddenly there was a knock on his door. He let out an annoyed grumble and let out a hasty ‘Enter.”

“Sit down, sit down,” he said quickly not looking at his visitor as he placed a spell on a pewter vial. He placed the steaming potion inside, sealed it magically and turned to see his visitor.

“Draco, you finished partying early,” he commented as he sat down.

“We need to talk sir. It is a matter of severe importance,” Draco said looking towards the door as if he was worried that someone was going to burst in.

Snape stood up, opened the door and made sure that no one was near by. He locked the door with the aid of his wand and chanted a spell that would make it impossible for someone to eavesdrop. He then sat on his chair and waited for the younger man to speak.

“I am here, about the discussion we had. About choosing sides. We were talking, and the others chose me to come and find you,” the blond boy said and with a nervous movement he reached inside his pockets and took out a piece of parchment that was folded equally many times.

Snape took it into his hands and unfolded it carefully. On it, with green ink, there were many of the sixth-years names. He read them carefully and looked at Draco’s name, which was the first on the list followed by Vincent Crabbe’s and Gregory Goyle’s and many other ones.

“Those are the names of the students that have decided that they want to avoid recruitment from the Dark Lord this summer and seek for protection as their parents are his followers. Most of us will turn seventeen during the summer holidays and none of us is keen into follow He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and get killed in an unnecessary bloodshed.”

“I see you did not manage to make McNair and his gang to change their mind,” Snape commented looking at the parchment glumly.

Draco did not respond. Silence spoke better than words.

“I only hope that your errand will be finished soon. It is getting difficult for most of us to control them.”

Snape kept looking at the list, his eyes transfixed on the green ink. He raised an eyebrow.

“That is strange. Where is Miss. Parkinson’s name?” he said in interest.

It was Draco’s turn to become glum. He turned towards the wall as his features darkened, not daring to look at his professor.

“She does not want to write her name there. But, she does not want to become one of his followers either,” Draco whispered looking at the wall. “We got into a fight about it and we are not in speaking terms.”

“Oh,” Snape uttered feeling slightly uncomfortable. Draco was the closer he had to care for, in years, but he was never good with words of comfort. “Are you – well – are you . . .?”

“Well . . . I simply cannot understand why she will not explain her decision,” Draco said narrowing his eyes and keeping them transfixed on the wall. “I – don’t – understand – women at all!”

Snape knew he ought to remain silent.

“I don’t understand myself. I am such a rational person and yet, when I am around her, I make a – I act strangely. In my third year – I would never grab someone’s broomstick even if that person would irritate me and yet, I did grabbed Potter’s broomstick. Just the idea of her watching me made me do it. She was furious with me for doing that. She almost blinded me when she attacked me with that talons she calls fingernails. And now – that she will not speak to me – I feel like – Well you wouldn’t understand. You are too old anyway!” he said in annoyance.

Excuse me? I swear I have given this boy too much freedom of speech,” the man thought letting out a tat of annoyance.

Draco Malfoy stopped speaking, in embarrassment. He felt such an idiot. He should not have talked about personal things so easily.

“What do you seek from me Draco?” Snape asked, closing his eyes.

“Is it not obvious?” Draco asked going back to his normal way of behaviour, “Everyone in this list seeks protection for this summer. After John Winterhipp’s disappearance it seems clear what is going to happen of us if we refuse.”

Snape thought of John Winterhipp. He was a rather quiet Slytherin, for Slytherins’ standards that is, which often mentioned that he would try to avoid recruiting. Yet, he was very skilful with ward spells and their elimination, something that made him a fine specimen for recruitment. The ‘Daily Prophet’ reported his disappearance shortly after Christmas.

“Most of the people in this list turn seventeen in the summer, a perfect opportunity to be approached. I think we are both aware that what will happen is bound to happen soon,” Draco said seriously.

They both fell silent. Snape let out a rather abrupt exhale and frowned.

“I will see what I can do,” he said after a long time of silence.

“Thank you,” Draco whispered. The boy stood up to leave when he was stopped by Snape’s voice that ordered him to seat down.

“Draco, why did you come to me? I have his Mark on me. How did you know I was to be trusted?”

“Ever since my second year, when I called Granger a – you know – I remember your fury when Professor McGonagall told you, of what Hagrid . . .”

“Professor Hagrid.”

“. . . What he told her. I remember your words, the lecture you gave me in this very office. You told me that the Hat had not chosen me because of my family’s bloodline, nor for their habits, but because of my cunning self and what I would be able to perform.”

“I am a school’s professor Draco. I was supposed to say things like that for McGonagall would say what had happened to the Headmaster.”

“That is what I told myself that day. Yet, last year – I heard you talking to Dumbledore . . .”

“Professor Dumbledore.”

“I heard you talking to him after Umbridge left, through the fireplace. When that girl Weasley hexed me with that Bat-Bogey Hex of hers, I run towards the empty classroom. It seems that you have forgotten to place a Silencing Charm.”

So I had indeed!”

“Therefore I figured out that you were a double spy.”

“So I am. But how could you know which side I am loyal to? Shall I remind you that a double spy hides a minimum amount of information from the side he is against? If I had not informed the Headmaster he would had known I am not at his side. My cover would have been destroyed when I would mostly need it.”

“Yes, but you could have always inform him a quarter of hour too late,” Draco answered back confidently. “Even if that was the case, I know you. If you had not been the Headmaster’s spy, you would never manage to stay in Hogwarts for so many years. Your success as a spy lays on the fact that you lie as less as you can. Eleven years of lies will be unbearable.”

“By Merlin Draco Malfoy, your abilities in deduction will never seize to amaze me,” the man said with a raised eyebrow.

“I had a great teacher.” Draco answered back as Snape opened the door to him.

“Draco, trust nobody, unless you are fully sure.”

“So I will. And you sir,” the blonde boy whispered looking at him seriously, “try to be careful. There are more people that need you than just Potter.”

-)-)-)

The Potion Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry entered the Deputy Headmistress’ office to find a very exhausted woman that half-sat, half-sprawled on an armchair. Agony was drawn on her features as her hand clutched her ribs.

“Minerva, all you all right?” he asked approaching her with a hint of worry he could not hide.

“Oh Severus, I am quite all right, thank you,” she said as he rubbed her eyes, “It is of no importance, so there is no need to worry.”

“It is probably the fact that Gryffindors are terrible liars for I do not believe you,” he answered back seriously.

“I am going to be fine. It is just a leftover from my little incident with those ministry officials last year,” she said flinching. “It seems that one of the hexes was meant only for giants. As I am human, it caused some damage that could not be fully healed. It pains me every once and awhile.”

“Stay here,” Snape ordered and got outside her office.

He returned minutes later, holding a potion vial with a liquid of aquamarine colour. He conjured a table-spoon, filled with the liquid and gave it to the woman, which swallowed the content immediately.

It was as if a huge burden was lifted off McGonagall. The pain immediately crumbled to non-existence and she found herself breathing normally.

“Instant pain-killer,” Snape said simply. “For how long have this been happening?”

The older woman remained silent.

“That long huh? Does the Headmaster knows?”

“I am a grown-up woman Severus,” she huffed. “I do not need everyone knowing my business.”

“Oh, what does this conversation reminds me.”

“Your case was different. You could not run after a child while your ribs were damaged. You could end up paralyzed. This should not happen to you.”

“And it should happen to you?”

“My ribs are fine Severus. It’s the hex inside them that causes them to pain every once and awhile. I don’t need help.”

“Why?”

“Because, I said so.”

They fell silent.

“Even if the Headmaster find out about it, this does not make you useless,” he commented.

“It makes me feel so,” she admitted in exasperation. “Oh Severus, I am old! We are entering a war – my students are entering a war and I feel like I might fail them because my stamina was not as it used to be. You don’t know how I feel. You are so young. I can remember you in your first year.”

Ah so now I am young.”

“Nonsense. The Headmasters is so much older than you and he is full of life.”

“Dumbledore is full of vitality and this come from his inner power Severus. I am just a typical witch.”

Snape did not spoke.

“You are a good boy Severus,” she spoke at last, satisfied with his grumble of annoyance. “I will come to you when in pain.”

-)-)-)

“So did you have a nice morning?” he asked the toddler, while putting him in his bed for his nap.

McGonagall was lucky enough to have Ginny Weasley in her office, when the pain had started. She hid her pain from the girl, who had inquired about some Transfiguration OWL questions, answered and asked if it would be possible to take baby Harry with her. Luckily the girl was enthused over the boy and accepted immediately.

“I had fun wit Mimone and Rwuo and Nevlin and Ginny! Mimone and Rwuon make picturwe wit me and I helped Nevlin give waterw to plants. I like Ginny sooooo much!” the boy continued opening his hands and stretching them. “When I gwoou up, I marwy her!”

Severus Snape could not help but smile. Most children believe that they grow up but the world around them remains the same. So did Potter. And weirdly, this was the first time such a situation could apply.

“Why don’t you marry her now?” Snape asked trying to remain serious.

“Bekioz at sleep I wan my bed. When I gwoou up I will want another bed.”

“That is good Harry.”

“Umm Sevvus?” baby Harry asked in uncertainty, “When I gwoou up, I will wok. I give some money to Ginny and some money to you. Can I have enough to buy toys as well?” he asked letting a yawn.

“I think you would,” he said seriously, tucked the boy and got outside the bedroom.

When he sat on his armchair, he could not but smile to himself.

The End.
End Notes:

GENERAL AUTHOR NOTES (PLEASE READ AFTER YOU FINISH)

1. I know that the entire situation with Gryffindor and Slytherin is unrealistic but do remember that this is an AU. Also, I do not belong to the privileged ones that have read Rowling’s ‘Quidditch Through the Ages’ so if there are some mistakes do take it into consideration that I had only the HP series books for sources.

2. I try to follow the books when it comes to couples and romance as you have seen. I hope I have not caused you much rage with the whole Pansy and Draco thingy but please do take into consideration that they are a couple.

3. More information about the Slytherin students that decided to seek protection as well as about Pansy’s decision will be seen on following chapters.

4. The names Pucey and Bole are mentioned in the Slytherin team in HP and Prisoner of Azkaban. Of course some other names that are also mentioned in that book but we can say they graduated.



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1087