Babies Can Teach a Valuable Lesson by preety_lady_serenity
Summary: Harry turns into a baby after an accident in Potions and Snape is assigned to become his guardian. But can Snape take care of a baby? And especially a baby like Harry? Alternative Universe, written before the HBP (posted firstly in ff.net in 01-30-04 )
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 122052 Read: 172731 Published: 30 Jan 2006 Updated: 01 Nov 2007
A Shopping Day for Snape by preety_lady_serenity
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: Harry Potter not mine. J. K. Rowling’s. Me Tarzan. You Jane. She preety_lady_serenity. Oh brother! --0

Harry uses the common reflex-root to show Snape that he wants to eat. I know that Harry does not react like a normal three-week old. At first it was my mistake but now an “evil” idea has formed that will enable me to explain to you. I just ask you to be patient.

The light entered the room and fell on the man’s face. Feeling an increasingly warm sensation on his right cheek the man turned and grabbed his pillow tightly. His eyes flickered and his eyelids opened revealing two onyx pearl-like irises. He tried to sit up when a ray of sunlight touched his eyes and a piercing hint of a headache started developing at his temple. He rubbed his temple while a soft moan escaped from his lips. For him, morning hours were definitely not his favourite time of the day. He turned to look at the small figure that was sleeping next to him. The baby had his eyes tightly close and he was sucking his miniature index being peaceful.

"Potter looks almost cute. Whoa were did this came from? Impure Thoughts! Impure Thoughts! Potter is NOT cute. POTTER IS NOT CUTE!" Snape thought shaking his head and retreating into the bathroom.

-)-)-)

Snape was looking himself in the full-length mirror.

"How on Merlin’s sake does the old man always manages to convince me?" he asked himself looking at his image intensively. He was wearing a pair of blue-jeans, a black polo-neck pullover and the usual pair of his shiny, black, squeaky-clean shoes.

“You must take the train Severus for Harry’s safety!” he said using a high-pitched mocking tone. “You must wear Muggle clothes and act like one of them. Some things cannot be bought in the wizarding world!” “Does anyone asks how I feel?” he asked loudly. “I guess not” he answered back faintly.

"How on Earth do Muggles walk with such tight outfits? You can’t even breathe inside them," he thought as he revolved around his axon.

“Do you realise the trouble I get for you Potter?”

The baby cooed happily while it snuggled into Snape’s tight hug. The man sighed and he opened the door. "Luckily the Slytherins do not wander around in the castle. I will never live through it if they ever see me in Muggle clothing."

-)-)-)

Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville were grouped in one of the castle’s corridors. Ron seemed absent-minded and they were trying to make him speak. Neville had asked whether it was Harry’s accident that troubled him and Ron nodded to confirm. Snape heard them talking and hid himself, waiting for them to leave. He was not so keen of having the whole Gryffindor tower discussing him dressed in Muggle clothing.

“Oh come on Ron! Harry is going to be fine!” Hermione said with a soothing voice.

“Yes. . . but . . . Snape being his guardian? Snape is…”

"Come on Mr. Weasley spit your poison," the professor thought piercing his lips

“…old.” Ginny said finishing her brother’s sentence.

“Yeah!” Neville and Ron said in unison

"OLD! I AM NOT OLD!"

“Snape is not old!”

"Good Miss Granger!"

“To your information he is as young as my father.”

"EXCELLENT MISS GRANGER!"

“If the man was dressed in something else than black robes, he would have looked much younger”

“Well it’s hard to believe it!” Ron whispered faintly. He was about to say something more when Snape stepped forward. Everyone fell silent. He walked towards them, holding baby Harry and saying a “Good morning” to them. Nodding at Hermione, who, with Ginny, was looking at him being dumbfounded he turned around the corner and stopped.

“I told you he is younger.” Hermione said cheekily. That made Professor Snape smile. It was a genuine big smile that was not going to last for long, since he turned crimson red when he heard Ginny Weasley’s outburst that was followed by Hermione’s chorusing laughter and then their squeals.

“HE HAS THE SEXIEST BUM I HAVE NEVER SEEN!”

-)-)-)

The hook-nosed professor entered Dumbledore’s office and sat opposite the old wizard. Dumbledore took Harry and beamed at him. Harry cooed and then turned to see his appointed guardian. Snape looked at Dumbledore, who smiled at him with one of his infamous smiles.

"Oh here comes this sense of embarrassment again," Snape considered as he looked at the floor. The man used to get an interest at all kinds of floors when he was around his ex-headmaster.

“Now Severus” Dumbledore started, making Snape’s head shot up. “Here is the money from Harry’s vault at Gringotts” and with those words he gave him a bag with galleons. “We have also asked for some of the money to be exchanged into Muggle money. A carriage is waiting for you outside Hogwarts’ grounds. It will take you to the nearest Muggle city. From there on you will take the train to King's Cross and then the  underground to Diagon Alley.” Snape nodded and took Harry into his arms. He was about to leave when Dumbledore’s faint voice was heard. “Molly Weasley sends you this” he commented pointing towards a red pram behind his office.

-)-)-)

The young policeman stared at the man that was pushing the red pram feeling puzzled. The man was looking forward, his head proudly high waiting for the other passengers to pass. He remembered seeing the man holding his little son as he disembarked from the train but he could not recall him holding a pram with him or asking for help to get one out of the train. How was it possible that the man was pushing one right now? Prams do not appear instantly and they certainly do not fit into a man’s pockets. “That will teach me never to drink before coming to work” he contemplated rubbing his head.

In the meantime Snape had got out of the station and moved towards Diagon Alley. He had used a “Reducio” spell to fit the pram into his pockets until he needed it. He tried to move as quickly as possible. The sooner he would set foot into Diagon Alley, the sooner the whole experience would finish. He stopped near the wall Diagon Alley was supposed to be and looked around. Perfect. Nobody was around. Chanting a few words he entered Diagon Alley and moved toward “Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions” shop.

-)-)-)

Fact Number One: Men are Hunters by Nature. Fact Number Two: Men do NOT Like Shopping. Result: Professor Severus Snape, the epitome of masculinity in the Wizarding World, the one and only hunter was about to hit his head at the nearest wall. For him shopping was like an Auror operation. You go in, jinx the bad wizards and get out of the place as fast as you can. However Madam Malkin had a different opinion. Her assistants, some female shoppers and she, were dressing and undressing Harry for the past two hours. After so much dressing and undressing he wondered why Potter had not got lament. At first he thought of going for a walk but after all he was Potter’s guardian and he was responsible for him. Therefore he sat at a chair and waited patiently. But after two hours his patience left him, something very uncommon; for Snape was famous for being able to compete with a Saint’s patience. He stood up and trying to restrain his angry words and interrupted them. Madam Malkin commented that they had decided on eight different pyjamas. "EIGHT PYJAMAS. IT TOOK THEM TWO HOURS TO CHOOSE EIGHT PYJAMAS!" he started screaming inside his head. Smiling, with great effort, he paid for Harry’s clothing items and moved towards the shop cursing inside. “Next place “Celesta’s Magical Baby Items”” he told himself.

Snape looked at the brands. “Miss Bates’ whipping tissues. They clean your baby instantly.” Snape looked at the woman’s picture being grateful while the woman in the magical photograph nodded in understanding.

Then he proceeded to diapers.

"Hmm. Those here fit automatically and the ducklings start quacking when the baby gets dirty. Not that I won’t be able to smell the air," he contemplated as he took two boxes of that brand. Then he moved towards the magical baby bottles wondering why those kinds of items were sold in such a low price. Turning around he saw a young mother with her twins. Smiling at her he asked her being curious.

“It’s pretty logical” she started “You can never know that the baby bottle will produce something nourishing. I prefer baby formulas. It is like Potions you know.”

“Potions?” Snape asked feeling interested.

“Yes. You mix two products and you create something that will quieten your baby for many hours. If this isn’t magic, then what is it?”

"Maybe I should consider going to a Muggle shop after all!" Snape thought while he was paying.

-)-)-)

Severus Snape entered a Muggle supermarket looking for some baby formulas. The baby’s section was huge. It had every kind of baby-items and for the first time in his life Snape let his curiosity overcome him and he searched around. Yet while he was looking at some baby formulas he reached out and grasped a woman’s hand. The woman had green long hair, a pointed nose and brown eyes. Looking at her angrily he talked slowly.

“Nymphadora Tonks, why on Merlin’s sake, are you following me?”

The young woman looked at him in a puzzled manner and blinked twice. Snape looked at her coolly while she seemed to be thinking of something.

“It’s no use telling me it isn’t you Nymphadora”

The woman’s cheeks got more and more red and whispering in defeat she nodded.

“Now will you stop calling me Nymphadora?”

“Ok Tonks. How many of you are here?”

“You can bet I am here Snape,” a growl was heard near his ear startling him.

“Mad-Eye Moody,” Snape said turning his head glaring at the air.

“And Remus is behind the corner.” Tonks commented. “Remus we have been discovered” she shouted and Remus Lupin appeared. The man, who was dressed in a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt, moved towards the pram and stroked Harry’s cheek who granted him with a toothless smile.

“You can guess why I am in an Invisibility Cloak.”

“If we disregard the fact that your scars can scare every living being, no why are you wearing a cloak?” Snape said grabbing two baby bottles and two boxes of baby formula and moving towards the cashier’s stand.

-)-)-)

“How did you manage to understand that it was Tonks that had been passing near you for so long?” Moody asked while they were walking at the crammed street.

“Well the first two times I gave her no notice. But when over ten different women pass wearing the same outfit I am getting suspicious. My question now. Why have you been following me?”

“Dumbledore’s orders” the three said in unison.

“I see!” Snape commented coolly while they entered a park “And the reason was?”

“It seems that Albus is concerned about Harry’s and your safety.” Moody grumbled

“Anyway you have finished your shopping. It’s time to go now.” Lupin and Tonks said smiling while they apparated. Snape sensed Moody leaving with them.

"Aurors! They stalk you down and they don’t even bother helping you with the shopping," he thought as he sat down onto the grass.

Taking Harry from the pram he took a bottle full of milk that was magically kept warm until use; and fed Harry. While he was feeding baby Harry; Snape noticed one thing. Every female inside the park was staring at him. Those that were in groups were smiling and went back to their chatter. Others who were jogging stopped and waved at him.

“I know that this is either because of you or else I have suddenly turned into every woman’s dream husband,” he whispered at baby Harry while he was putting him back to his pram and took his way to the station.

-)-)-)

“Excuse me sir!” the young guard said stopping him “I saw you this morning. Weren’t you pushing a red pram?”

Snape smiled. “No, I was not pushing a pram. How did you get that idea? My dear man I believe you need some rest” he concluded and patting the man’s shoulder being friendly; he moved towards the train’s platform leaving the man looking at him with a puzzled expression.

Severus Snape sat with an evil expression on his face. Holding baby Harry in one hand he inserted his hand into his pockets and touched the reduced-in-size items.

"I love teasing the Muggles. They believe everything," he thought and looked at Harry who yawned before drifting to sleep.

The End.
End Notes:

I know it did not have much Harry/Snape interaction but the next chapter will repay you.

NOW I BOW BEFORE YOU AND ASK YOU TO REVIEW!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1087