Babies Can Teach a Valuable Lesson by preety_lady_serenity
Summary: Harry turns into a baby after an accident in Potions and Snape is assigned to become his guardian. But can Snape take care of a baby? And especially a baby like Harry? Alternative Universe, written before the HBP (posted firstly in ff.net in 01-30-04 )
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 122052 Read: 172728 Published: 30 Jan 2006 Updated: 01 Nov 2007
Resting by the lake by preety_lady_serenity
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer

Mr Woolfy: preety-lady-serenity is sick and she is unable to tell the disclaimer. Remember boys and girls. The characters belong to J. K. Rowling and certainly not that person of low intelligence preety-lady-serenity. I also have to tell you that she stills sleeps with Mr Baba the stuffed toy sheep of hers during thunderstorms.’runs out as fast as he can’

preety-lady-serenity: Phew finally! Woolfy had locked me in the cupboard. Why are you all laughing like maniacs? What exactly did he said to you? WOOLFYYYYYYY

Baby Harry’s eyes flickered and opened slowly. The room was dark and only the moon’s light seemed to provide some comfort from it. The infant stared at the ceiling being transfixed. However moments later he turned his head right and heard the calm snoozing of the man that occupied the big bed. Harry wanted to see the man now. Initially he knew that when that man was not around him for a while, that meant that something bad was about to happen. He let a squeal and then stopped. Snoozing was still heard. “Aprt!” baby Harry let out and then squealed twice. The man mumbled under his breath and sighed. Being frustrated the infant started whimpering.

“Oh Potter give me a break!” Snape muttered as he tried to open his eyes. The wails intensified and the raven-haired man felt the urge to curse. “Well it is clear that Potter needs me” he thought trying to convince himself to get out of the bed. “I hate my life!” Severus Snape grumbled while he got out of the bed and half-walking, half-tripping he moved towards the cradle.

Towering himself over the cradle he groggily looked at the baby boy, who was whimpering. Baby Harry seeing that Snape was looking at him; calmed down and stared back, clutching the stuffed unicorn he had with him. Taking the baby into his arms, the pale-looking professor sat on his bed and rocked Harry. The infant yawned and started drifting off to sleep and the man put him back to his cradle. To Severus Snape’s disappointment baby Harry started wailing again as soon as he attempted to move away from the cradle.

Merlin have mercy!” he thought recalling Madam Pomfrey’s words about separation anxiety. Apparently trying to go back to sleep and ignoring the baby was not going to help at all.

Scooping the infant from the cradle he sat on the four-poster bed and taking his wand he chanted it once again. He then let baby Harry to lie on the mattress, lied down too and covered himself, and the baby, with the sheet and blanket.

“Ok Potter” he coolly stated turning to look at Harry that was yawning “this part of the bed is mine.” he commented drawing an invincible line with his long finger. “Don’t you even dare cross the line or I will not be responsible for the consequence” he finished and turned his back at the boy.

It was a nice Saturday morning at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Outside the castle the birds were twittering madly, while inside a certain chamber two big green eyes, in a round face, opened. Blinking for a couple of moments the little creature clasped the stuffed unicorn toy and then let it down. Rolling on his stomach baby Harry pushed up on his arms and got into a sitting position. Taking the small toy once again he squeezed it and then turned to look at the man to his right.

The hook-nosed man had his eyes shut and was snoozing being tranquil. His left arm was under the pillow raising his head into a much more comfortable position, while his right one was resting near his face. The infant looked at the man and then at his toy. Then back to the man and at the unicorn toy once again. Holding the stuffed unicorn tightly, he raised his hands and a couple of seconds later he landed it on the man’s face with all the strength his small hands had.

Severus Snape shot up being startled. His heart was pounding and his pulse was racing faster than a Firebolt. Panting from shock, and lack of breath, he turned his head and glared menacingly. Baby Harry was staring at him holding the toy.

“Potter you are insufferable! How could you do this to me?” he stated harshly closing his eyes into slits. He was about to say something more but he stopped seeing the impact his voice’s tone had on the small boy. Baby Harry’s lips quivered slightly, his green eyes started moistening and then the little boy let the most heart-shuttering wail of desperation a person had ever head.

“Great! Just Great!” Snape mumbled groggily feeling frustrated. He did not mean to snap at the small boy. It was an accident. He was just startled. He took baby Harry into his arms feeling the small infant go stiff while he was touched. The infant stared into his black eyes sobbing slightly. The raven-haired professor wanted to kick himself unconscious. Mornings may wasn’t his best time of the day but this was no reason to startle a baby boy in such a manner, even if that baby boy was the recently de-aged Potter

Darn I am not good at doing this things,” he thought while he was wondering on what to do next.

Apologise is the best option I guess!” a small voice peeped inside his head.

NO WAY! HE STARTED IT!” his ego debated back.

FOR MERLIN’S SAKE, IT IS FOR A BABY BOY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!” the voice squeaked back and then everything fell silent inside his head.

Severus Snape petted baby Harry’s head and looked at him straight into the eyes. Black eyes met the large moist green ones. “Ok Potter I am sorry” he started taking a deep breath “I shouldn’t have acted so harsh and I hope you will forget it soon.” Finishing his last word, and feeling slightly lighter, he gave Harry his unicorn toy.

Harry smiled at the view of the toy and Snape let him down feeling relieved. At least this had pass.

-)-)-)

The black-robed professor raised his head up and looked outside the window being unable to resist. The lake was gleaming in tranquillity and the grass at Hogwarts’ Grounds looked greener that ever. The castle was quiet. Almost everyone was away at the Hogsmeade Trip. Well except him, Potter and the first and second graders. But students did prefer the comfort of their Common Rooms.

It had been quite some time since he had left his chambers for a walk. He kneeled near baby Harry, who was playing at the floor for quite some time, and enchanted his robes and Harry’s grey pyjamas to adapt according to the weather. Then taking a clean blanket, he scooped the baby into his arms and moved to the door. Snape was about to open the door when baby Harry turned his head towards the door and squealed

“BIBI!”

Bibi?” the professor thought “Who or what is Bibi?”

“Bibi!” Harry insisted staring at the floor.

Snape looked at the floor. But what was he supposed to be looking at? “Severus this is ridiculous!” he thought and shook his head.

“Bibi, Bibi!” baby Harry exclaimed kicking inside Snape’s hands.

“Ok, ok Potter I am trying to understand what you are asking for!” Snape answered back as calm as he could.

If I was a baby what would I consider Bibi to be?” he asked himself thinking logically. “One thing is sure, thank Merlin, that Bibi is not I,” he thought snickering inside. Ok. Bibi, Bibi, Bibi. What was on the floor? A piece of parchment. No it couldn’t be Bibi. A pacifier. But no ordinary baby would have given its pacifier a name. But Potter was not an ordinary boy. He was the one that made his life miserable. But again the pacifier could not be Bibi. Aha! A stuffed unicorn toy.

Taking the stuffed toy from the floor he offered it to Harry, who let a “Bibi” of excitement. Then turning to look at the Potions Master with grateful eyes, he wrapped his miniature hands around Snape’s head. The raven-haired man’s eyes enlarged from shock, mostly because a small part of him enjoyed this representation of affection. “Umm . . . Potter. . . It was no big deal” he stated uncomfortably getting outside the room.

-)-)-)

Severus Snape stood near the lake. To his surprise it was not as cold as he had expected it to be. Waving his wand with his right hand; he charmed the blanket to spread on the grass and then he put baby Harry on the ground. The infant kept quiet as the Potions Master knelt down and gave him Bibi. Seating himself on the blanket; Snape smelled the cool atmosphere and enjoyed the changing of colours in the endless horizon. In the meantime the infant had engaged himself in a “conversation” with Bibi.

“Ba ma ga daprt” he stated looking at the toy seriously for a couple of moments. The raven-haired man felt his face twitching uncontrollably while he tried to control his urge to chuckle. The boy was a real bubbler indeed. Baby Harry turned and staring at his “guardian” with his olive-green eyes he stated “Gi ma baa da.”

Snape’s left eyebrow arched in question. Gi ma baa da? How was he supposed to respond to that? The little boy stared at him again and seriously stated “Mi bi ga!” The raven-haired man’s eyes closed into slits and he kept distant for a couple of moments. Then, as if he had understood everything baby Harry had just said, he nodded and answered back. “Of course Potter. Mi bi ga to you too” The infant gazed at him with delight and started babbling rapidly once again. To his amazement, Professor Severus Snape found himself enjoying babbling back. The infant kept babbling happily let him touch the unicorn toy that had named Bibi and kept bouncing in excitement.

The hook-nosed professor, noticing Harry’s new activity of bouncing decided to engage him into a little activity. He placed Bibi on the ground, just a few centimetres away from Harry’s reach. The infant tried to reach the toy but he could not quite do it. Squealing in frustration he turned to look at the professor. Snape sat near baby Harry and stared as the boy leaned forward once again.

“Come on Potter. You can reach Bibi. Just lean a bit forward. You have passed a Hungarian Horntail! This is far easier that that!”

Harry reached for his toy once again but he could, still, not grasp it. He squealed in annoyance and turned to look at Snape, who motioned with his hands to continue. The infant looked at the toy being determined, leaned forward and finally grasped the toy and squeezed it with affection.

Snape stared at the boy feeling a bit proud but then his face fell when he saw who was standing a few meters away from where he was resting. The old wizard paced slowly towards him and Harry’s direction. Snape felt the usual embarrassment rising to his face and tried to dismiss it with a scowl. Staring at the horizon, he wished he could turn invincible. “Oh yes Severus! How many black-robed wizards do you know that they could be passed for invincible by that man?” his logic interrupted.

The old wizard sat near him on the grass. Looking at him with his blue twinkling eyes, Dumbledore inserted his hand into his star-patterned robes and taking it out he stated smiling.

“Ah Severus, it’s so good to see you! Lemon Drop?” and then he offered one of them to him.

“I’d rather not Headmaster. I don’t want to spoil my appetite” the Potions Master said declining his offer being civilised.

“And how is Mr Potter this weekend?” Dumbledore asked Harry, who kept playing with his unicorn to. The infant looked at the old bearded wizard happily and raising the toy up he babbled happily “Bibi ba bu!”

“I am pleased to meet Bibi Harry” the star-robed wizard stated happily. Seeing that Harry started paying attention to his toy once again he turned to look at Snape, who was staring at the lake being absent minded.

“The lake is nice isn’t it young man?” Dumbledore stated chuckling at Snape’s expression when he called him young man. The Potions Master blushed for a couple of seconds and then turned to look at him.

“What do you want Headmaster?” Snape asked coolly.

“Severus” Dumbledore stated seriously “I do not come near you because I want something from you. How many times must I tell you these things? Believe it or not you are still a young boy to me and I find it pleasurable enjoying the lake with you and baby Harry.”

“Thank you Headmaster” Snape said smiling a little. Albus Dumbledore was the only person that had inspired a bit of trust in Snape’s heart. He remained silent for a couple of moments and listened to the upcoming voices of the students that returned back from Hogsmeade. “It seems that they are coming back!” Snape stated and taking baby Harry into his arms he charmed the blanket and offered a hand to Dumbledore.

“No thank you Severus. I think that I am going to enjoy the lake for a couple of minutes.” Dumbledore stated with his twinkling eyes shinning. Snape had started walking when old wizard’s voice caused him to halt.

“I have noticed that you have given Harry a grey pyjama to wear. I think a bit of colour suits him better” and chuckling mischievously Dumbledore commented “I think both of you need a different colour”

“Headmaster” Severus Snape stated smirking “It will be a cold day in Hell when I start wearing robes of a different colour.” And with those words the black-robed wizard started pacing towards the castle.

The End.
End Notes:

Wow! I finished at last. Please review! Oh and Mr Woolfy still sleeps with “Blanky” his baby blanket.

Mr Woolfy: DID NOT!

preety-lady-serenity: DID TOO!

Mr Woolfy: Did Not!

preety-lady-serenity: Did too!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1087