A Time and Place to Grow by pdantzler
Past Featured StorySummary: After mistakenly flooing himself to Snape's home the summer after Sirius' death, Harry realizes that his potions master can take matters into his own hands, literally. Warning: This story does involve the spanking of teenagers. If you have a problem with this, do not read and do not review. Any criticisms about CP will be ignored. But I love any other feedback!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Petunia, Remus, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: A Time and a Place
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 131710 Read: 319177 Published: 03 Feb 2006 Updated: 03 Mar 2007
Chapter 15 - Malfoy Manor by pdantzler

Perhaps the best laid plans are those that are constructed at a moment’s notice – spurred into action without any debate or consideration, just acted upon instantaneously. At least, that was what Harry told himself as he stepped through the barrier. He clenched his eyes closed tight and clamped both hands over his ears as the infernal ringing became strong. It was growing louder and louder – everyone within five miles must be hearing it. He would go deaf, and he probably couldn’t get through anyway so why even try –

And then he stepped past the barrier. The ringing stopped so suddenly that he feared he had lost his hearing completely. But after a few breathless seconds, Harry heard the wind blowing through the trees and the twitter of birds. Which seemed quite out of place – Malfoy Manor should not have birds. Or at least not happy, little birds. Silent, foreboding vultures should be sulking in the branches with gleaming eyes and sharp beaks.

The walk towards the manor seemed oddly anti-climatic. Had ominous music been playing in the background or lightening and thunder crashing around the house, Harry would have felt better. He half-expected to find himself cursed after breaking the wards, or transported back to Snape’s office for another long, painful lecture. As it was, he felt only normal and ordinary as he made his way closer to the huge mansion. Now, the house itself did look menacing and evil, so Harry felt somewhat relieved. It would not do to find out that Draco lived in a normal house like a Muggle.

Once he reached the stairs that led to the front door, Harry did hesitate for a moment. What if the house was cursed or something equally unpleasant? Snape’s house had a fireplace that hurt even Voldemort. What might Malfoy Manor have in its twisting interior? A swinging axe to decapitate unwanted visitors who walked in aware? A trapdoor to drop enemies into a dungeon full of hungry basilisks? A vat of poison to pour from above and burn the flesh right off poor victims underneath?

A tendril of fear crept up his spine, and Harry felt a little better when the manor seemed more menacing than it had a few moments ago. He cautiously put one foot on the stairs. Nothing happened. Another step, and another – nothing was happening.

Then a rustle in the bushes sounded behind him.

Harry whirled around, his whole body tensed and the hair standing up on the back of his neck. Something was in the bushes, it was shaking, he could hear it. His heart was beating so fast he could barely breath.

The bush stopped rustling as a small brown bird hopped out onto the stairs. Harry felt relief and frustration at his own stupidity rush over him. He had half a mind to throw stones at the tiny bird for scaring him so bad. Rolling his eyes and hoping his heartbeat would soon slow, Harry turned to the front door. As his adrenaline receded, Harry felt a new calm wash over him. This was Fate – he was ready to meet his destiny.

He raised the knocker, a huge iron casting of a dragon’s head with the mouth wide open to devour him, and knocked twice on the oak door. Harry heard the knocking echo on the other side of the door, and he knew that someone must have heard him. If no one came to the door, he would know that the manor was empty. Then he would have to climb through the windows, but surely wouldn’t the Malfoys have alarms and jinxes to keep intruders out? Muggles had those loud alarms, which sometimes shattered the stillness of Privet Drive. Harry doubted that a Wizarding family would leave their house vulnerable to attack, and this was the Malfoys, after all.

Then there was a loud scraping of a lock, and the door began to open. The hinges creaked, not like they needed to be oiled, but as if they had been encrusted with years of evil.

A house elf stood on the other side, a worried look on its knobby face.

"Hi," Harry said quickly before the house elf could respond. "I’m – I’m here to see Mrs. Malfoy if she’s in. I need to ask her something, er – important. I don’t think she knows I’m coming, but I think she will see me. I need to see her, you see, because it’s important," his mind was screaming at him to shut up, but his mouth refused to stop babbling. Harry was grateful when the house elf interrupted.

"Who is calling on the Mistress, please?"

"Henry – uh, Snape," Harry said. That was the first name that leapt to mind after Neville’s. Neville’s name had been the one Harry had used to get on the Knightbus, but he had a feeling that Narcissa Malfoy would know all about the Longbottoms, considering it was her sister who put Alice and Frank in St. Mungo’s for life.

"Who is it, Mugsy?" a haughty female voice called from inside the house. "I said no visitors for the morning. They should know when my calling hours are."

"Mugsy is very sorry," the house elf looked torn between Harry and his mistress. "Henry Snape has called and insisted on seeing the Mrs. Malfoy. Mugsy would have said no, but -"

"Oh, shut up," Narcissa strode into the entrance hall. She was dressed in a long gown of shimmering black that gave her pale face a haunted look. Her blond hair was piled up on her head like a crown of gold. Her face looked cruel, but also tragic as if she was suffering but refused comforted and wanted to hurt others to relieve her own pain. "Henry Snape, you say?"

"Yes, Mistress," Mugsy bobbed his head. "That is who –"

"Go stick pins into your arm for disturbing my morning rest," Narcissa ordered coldly.

The house elf turned around miserably, but Harry stepped forward.

"Please, Mrs. Malfoy, it was my fault. I shouldn’t have barged in here. Don’t bother the house elf."

Narcissa arched her perfect eyebrows. "Oh, my. You’re one of those creature sympathizers. How very unfortunate. My family, my husband especially, does not take kindly to strangers interfering with our property. But because you’re our guest – Mugsy, prepare some tea for our guest and leave off your punishment for now."

The house elf looked very grateful as he scampered off, and Harry hoped Mugsy wouldn’t get in anymore trouble after he left.

"So, you’re Henry Snape, are you?" Narcissa looked him over.

"Yes, Snape’s my uncle," Harry said before he could stop himself.

"Funny, I didn’t think Severus had any siblings," Narcissa led the way into a parlor decorated in dark tones. She motioned Harry to a sofa that looked like it was made of dragon skin, and she sat on a large armchair with real wolf claws for legs.

"Is Draco here?" Harry asked in a rush.

"No," Narcissa brushed invisible lint off her expensive dress. "He’s not. He refused to stay here and so, he went to visit some family or friends for a few weeks. Were Lucius here, Draco would have stayed. His father demands most of his time in the summer, and Draco never says no. They went all over the world last time, Lucius showing Draco everything. They brought me back five chests full of treasures, priceless they said. Of course, I had to stay here and keep the house along with answering all our correspondence. I wouldn’t dare leave those house elves for longer than a week – they would burn the place to the ground without my supervision."

Despite her lofty look and careless words, Harry suddenly had the feeling that Narcissa Malfoy was very lonely.

"And Draco’s not a child anymore," Narcissa continued, touching her hair to ensure that it was all in place. "He’s sixteen and about to start his sixth year and doesn’t need me fussing over him like a baby. He’s always been independent, relying most on Lucius as he should. Sons should follow their fathers, I’ve always said, and not worry about theirs mothers. Mothers become burdens to their sons if they fawn too much, and I know Draco would like to think he doesn’t need me anymore."

Yet, Harry had a suspicion that Narcissa would like Draco to need her. Had Narcissa, the fair beauty with all her grace and poise, become nothing more than a trophy wife for the notorious Death Eater? Had she become so lonely she wanted to talk to a strange boy all morning just to have someone to talk to?

"And Lucius won’t be there forever," Narcissa assured Harry, oblivious to his thoughts. "He has far too much influence in the Wizarding world to rot in Azkaban. It was all an enormous mistake made by the Ministry. They were so embarrassed that their precious headquarters had been broken into after they claimed it was impossible – well, they had to make an example out of someone. And because Lucius is such a prominent leader in the community, I know they thought his imprisonment would be a lesson to everyone else."

"Didn’t he attack a group of student?" Harry asked, trying to keep his voice normal. "Didn’t someone die that night?"

A blush stole into Narcissa’s cheeks, but she raised her head high. "Oh, some escaped criminal. That Black idiot who the Ministry has been chasing for two years. Though why he had to die and not that brat Potter, I don’t know. Draco’s told me all about him at school – arrogant, rude, always getting his way with his teachers. Lucius says once he’s dead, we can live in peace and prosperity again. Draco wants to be part of the plan, but Lucius says the Dark Lord has to be the one to do it. I wish someone would do something so Lucius could come home again. I’ve asked Severus if he could do anything, but Severus refuses to get involved with the Ministry. His role is far bigger, he says, considering he’s going to be the one to – oh, here’s the tea."

Harry wanted to ask what Snape was going to do, to demand the Narcissa tell him, but he thought that would make her suspicious. She was talking far more than he had expected as if she had longed to talk to anyone.

"Now," Narcissa said after she had served them both a cup of tea and some scones along with buttery crumpets, "what can I do for you, Mr. Snape? Dear me, with that light hair, you don’t look anything like your uncle. You have his coloring though, and his mouth."

Harry hoped that was the effects of the potion he had taken.

"You’re thin like he is though I doubt you’ll be as tall. Is that a scar on your forehead?"

"Er – Quidditch accident," Harry stammered.

"Dangerous sport," Narcissa took a sip of tea. "But Draco had to play in his second year. I told Lucius he was too young, but he wanted his son to play if James Potter’s son was going to play. So new brooms for the whole team. I thought Draco should try out to see if he liked the sport, but Lucius said the brooms would guarantee him a place."

Harry focused on eating a scone. He feared he would give himself away if he made any comment about Draco on the Slytherin team. For all her constant talking, Harry doubted that Narcissa was a stupid woman.

"I knew Severus was hosting a relative in his house this summer. I called the other day, but he said the boy was ill in bed. You don’t look ill."

"Oh, uh, slight cold," Harry tried not to squirm under her penetrating gaze.

"He also said you were his distant cousin, not a direct nephew."

"I’m – I’m illegitimate and a half-blood," Harry said the first thing that came to his mind. Surely a wizard wouldn’t want to talk about a nephew with those characteristics.

"Oh?" a malicious gleam lit up her eyes. "That explains it. If Lucius were here, he wouldn’t let you in the door. But I’m much more freeing thinking than all that old-fashioned nonsense. Of course, I never expected Severus to take in any child for any length of time. I don’t know why he chose to be a teacher – he does not have the patience or tolerance for children. Once years ago, he came to visit Lucius, and Draco annoyed him, trying to hex Severus with a magical toy or some nonsense. Severus turned my boy over his knee and hit him until my baby cried."

"Really?" Harry wanted to grin, but he forced the corners of his mouth down. He loved the image that brought to mind, Draco squalling while Snape firmly spanked him until Draco begged for mercy. Absolutely wonderful.

"I was horrified, but Lucius just laughed it off. Draco never bothered our guests again so I suppose Severus knew what he was doing though at the time I wanted to curse him into an eternity of pain. Draco listens to him at school, says he’s far better than that old hag Minerva. Now," Narcissa set her cup aside, "enough about Draco. Why did you come to see me?"

"Uh, uh, Uncle Snape said you had – had treasures," Harry stumbled. His mouth was dry, and he put the rest of the scone back on his plate. "Like the ones your husband brought back from his travels. I – er, have a – I mean, am taking a class, on magical artifacts this year. I have to write a paper about magical treasure."

"And Severus said I would be the person to talk to?" a hint of a smile played around her mouth, and for a moment she did not look as cruel.

"Yes, but he doesn’t know I’m here," Harry assured her. "He said I shouldn’t bother you, but I heard you have the best collection."

"But of course. I am married to a Malfoy, one of the oldest Pure Blood families."

"Do you, maybe, have a piece called the Necklace of Timord?" Harry tried not to look too eager. "I’ve read about it, but I think it’s just a myth . . ."

"Mugsy," Narcissa called. When the house elf appeared, she ordered, "Bring down the Necklace of Timord from my fifth jewelry box. Be very careful, or it will be your fingers burnt off."

Two minutes later, Mugsy came back, carrying a velvet-covered shelf that boasted a necklace of finest gold. In the middle of the Necklace was a dragon’s claw made of gold that clutched a ruby the size of a Snitch. The blood red gem caught the light, and for a moment, Harry thought the Necklace was alive.

"Beautiful, isn’t it?" Narcissa spoke in a hushed tone. "You wouldn’t believe what my husband had to do to get it. He gave it to me for our tenth anniversary. I’ve had offers for it many a time – one Death Eater even offered me his firstborn child. I said no, nothing is worth this jewel."

It was there, just beyond his reach. Harry swallowed, beads of sweat on his forehead. "Can – can I touch it?"

Narcissa picked it up, handling it like a heavy snake. "Be very, very careful. Snape would have to sell Snapdragon Manor to pay to repair it if you drop it."

The Necklace was cold and hard in Harry’s fingers. He took it from Narcissa’s hand and gently placed it over his head. He could feel the magic coursing through the Necklace. The ruby almost had a heartbeat, throbbing against his chest.

He stepped back and shouted, "Hogwarts, fourteen months ago!"

He waited for Malfoy Manor to fade away, to find time rushing around, to see Hogwarts spinning into focus. But nothing happened. He stood where he was, the heavy Necklace around his neck.

Narcissa shook her head. "Naughty, naughty boy. Did you really think you could go back in time with just putting on the Necklace?" She pulled a wand out of her dress and gave it a flick. The Necklace soared off Harry and returned to lie on the velvet shelf.

Harry stared, not knowing what to do. What had gone wrong?

"You can’t time travel with just wearing the Necklace," Narcissa said in a scolding voice. "You have to have your name on the papers, giving you sole ownership. Otherwise, anyone could break in and steal it. It can’t even be in your family’s name. Draco once tried to go back in time to stop himself from breaking a very valuable heirloom. The papers list both Lucius and me as the owners. Besides, the Ministry insisted that we register it. Something about Lucius not to be trusted with jumping around in time. So anytime we use it, the Ministry knows where and when we are. I cannot believe you tried to steal it."

"Oh, oh, that was just a joke," Harry forced his mouth into a sheepish grin to hide his terrible disappointment. His stomach had sunken so low he was sure it was in his shoes, but he had to make some sort of pretense. "I knew I couldn’t – I just wanted to see your face. Er, uh, Uncle Snape says you’re – you’re pretty when you look surprised."

He expected Narcissa to see right through his lies, but he had flattered her, and her vanity flared up as she laughed. "Oh, dear Severus. He would say something like that. With that sneer of his, pretending he’s irritated with the whole world when really he’s scared someone might get too close. Oh, we shall have a laugh when he gets here."

"What?" Harry’s felt fear race like fire through his body. "He’s – he’s coming here?"

"Yes, naturally. When you told me who you were, I motioned for Mugsy to send a message to your uncle. He should be here any moment. I wager he didn’t give you permission to leave his property." Narcissa smiled slyly, and Harry thought she really was the cruelest woman in the entire universe. Mean, sadistic, wanting others to suffer – what a horrible woman!

"Is Henry scared of his uncle?" she asked, her voice almost taunting. "No need to answer that – your stricken expression says it all."

A loud noise suddenly boomed through the manor. A skipped heartbeat later, Harry realized that it was the front door knocker.

"Please, Mrs. Malfoy," Harry croaked, hating how weak his voice sounded, "please don’t tell him I was here. Let me go out the back."

"Absolutely not," Narcissa started towards the door. "I wouldn’t dream of hiding anything from your uncle. I have feeling he’s very particular about his nephew’s whereabouts, and I wouldn’t want to cause him any trouble by hiding you from him. No, no, not at all. Mugsy, show in my benevolent neighbor."

The creaking of the door sounded ten times as foreboding as it swung back to reveal a very angry-looking Snape. The man was in his usual black robes, but to Harry he looked ten feet tall with dark wrath clothing his body.

"Mrs. Malfoy," Snape said in a low growl, not taking his eyes off Harry.

Harry edged backwards, wishing he could hide behind Narcissa.

"Severus, we’ve been neighbors for years," Narcissa beckoned him inside though Snape did not move. "No need for formalities here. Especially when something of yours happens to wander over this way."

"Yes, I see that my guest has intruded upon you. I’m here to collect him and take him home."

What would happen when they reached home hung in the air, and Harry gulped nervously. "Uncle S-snape," he faltered, "I didn’t mean – I just –"

"He came to pay me a visit," Narcissa smirked. She was enjoying the whole thing far too much in Harry’s opinion. "He had tea with me, then said he wanted to see a necklace of mine. Can you imagine which one, Severus?"

"I cannot," Snape said darkly. He was flexing his fingers as if preparing them better for the punishment he would give his unfortunate houseguest.

"The Necklace of Timord," Narcissa said, all smiles and happy looks. "Can you believe he tried to steal it? Put it around his neck, and tried to go back in time."

Snape’s fury grew a little stronger, and Harry wondered if soon he would explode, blowing the whole house up with his wrath.

"He should be thankful Lucius isn’t here," Narcissa prattled on, relishing Harry’s distressed expression. "Lucius would beat him half to death for daring to touch my things, much less steal them."

"Well, I will have to see if I can’t fill Lucius’s shoes in this matter," Snape was speaking in a very hushed voice, but he might as well be shouting considering terror that coursed through Harry.

"Don’t hurt him too much," Narcissa began to walk towards the door. Snape had not stepped past the threshold, and Harry made himself walk ever so reluctantly towards his furious guardian.

"He’s provided a most amusing morning." Narcissa affectionately smiled at Harry. "I see why you let him stay – you would never be bored with him around. Well, I’ll leave you to take care of your dearest nephew. Do stop by again, Severus, and you as well, Henry."

Harry mumbled something before moving out the door. The doorway was wide enough for him to walk by without touching Snape, but Harry had barely stepped through when Snape landed a heavy hand on the back of his neck and whirled him around. "Give Mrs. Malfoy a proper goodbye," Snape ordered in tone with which Harry dared not argue.

"Goodbye, Mrs. Malfoy," Harry said immediately. "Thank you for letting me visit, and I’m sorry about the other – stuff."

"Goodbye," Snape pulled Harry around and began marching him down the stairs. Then Narcissa screamed,

"Wait! His – his hair! It’s changing colors. And his voice. Oh, Merlin, it’s Harry Potter. Mugsy! Come –"

"Obliviate!" Snape shouted, blasting sparks out of the wand that appeared in his hand. The spell hit Narcissa, and for a moment her beautiful face lost its haughty expression. Harry saw her blink in confusion.

Then Snape grabbed Harry and pulled him close. They Disapparated off the Malfoy’s estate.

------

"What were you thinking?" Snape grabbed a handful of Harry’s hair and dragged him into the study.

"Ow! Oww! I don’t know."

"You really are completely brainless. Of all the stupid, thoughtless, idiotic – you are just as half-witted as I ever supposed. An absolute moron without the common sense of a dung beetle, you stupid boy! Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Snape pushed Harry into a chair and towered over him, eyes lit with rage.

"No, I wasn’t," Harry protested. He could feel tears prickle in his eyes, and he swallowed very hard.

"After everything I told you, wards and warnings, you promised to obey me, and you went to Malfoy Manor! Inside, to talk to Narcissa who could have killed you right then and there, or taken you to the Dark Lord so easily because you no longer had the protection of the wards. You didn’t even have your wand."

"You took my wand," Harry pointed out, but he quickly looked away from Snape’s enraged expression.

"Do not interrupt me, Potter, unless you want to die right here in this study. You lied to my face about where you were going, you broke through the wards, and you went somewhere you knew you were not ever supposed to be. And then you tried to steal her necklace. Do you have a death wish?"

"No, I was trying to go back."

"Back? Back to where?"

"To save Sirius. And Cedric," Harry added. It was a shame Cedric always had to take second place in his thoughts, especially since he had died first. "To save them both, before they died."

The room was silent. Snape seemed too angry to talk. The silence prickled at Harry, driving him mad with the roar of the stillness. When Snape spoke, his voice was as soft and slow as black death.

"You were going back to the night of the Third Task to save Cedric? Then you were going to the Ministry of Magic a year later to save your godfather?"

"Yes, so they wouldn’t die. Cedric’s parents would be happy, and – and I would happy for Sirius." Harry knew now that it was impossible, but he tried to focus on Snape’s anger. As long as he feared a punishment from Snape, Harry knew he could hold himself together. Once that threat was gone, Harry knew he would start crying, and he worried that he might never stop.

"You wanted to bring them back from the dead," Snape was breathing very hard. "My word, Potter, what do you think dark magic is? After what you saw the night the Dark Lord came back, you want to start messing with the afterlife? What was to keep you from being killed once you went back? A Death Eater sees you in the graveyard, you have no wand – he kills you before you can reach Cedric. You’re lying dead in a field, and no one knows what has happened to you. Or you make it to the Ministry a year later, a stray curse hits you – they find your body the next morning. Did you not think about that?"

"I want him back," Harry cried out, not caring what Snape might do. "I want him here. I should be living with him. He’s only person who’s ever wanted me – he asked me to live with him. Me! Cedric died because I said to take the portkey together. He’s dead because of me. So let me make this right!"

"No, you are not going to do anything of the kind," Snape said flatly. He straightened, then his shoulders slumped the smallest bit. "I cannot believe I am saying this – but this is the end. I can’t be your guardian any longer."

"What?" Harry looked up, eyes wide.

"I promise Dumbledore I would keep you safe, and as much as if rankles me to admit, I can’t keep you safe from anything. I have tried punishing you, restrictions, lecturing you – nothing works. You’re beyond my help, and I think it’s best if you return to your relatives."

Harry’s mouth fell open; he could barely catch his breath.

"I’ll take you back within the hour," Snape was resolute. "We’ll transfer guardianship back to your relatives, and we won’t have to see each other until autumn. Your aunt and uncle somehow knew how to keep you safe and alive for nearly sixteen years, so they might as well continue. We’ll just consider this a temporary arrangement that failed."

"No," Harry whispered, "please don’t send me away."

"There’s nothing else I can do," Snape shook his head heavily. "Believe it or not, I don’t want you to get hurt. I thought by giving you a little pain with my hand or a ruler might keep you from doing something that permanently hurts you, Harry, but I was wrong."

"No, no," Harry felt despair pulling him down. Before, he wasn’t so happy about staying at Snapdragon Manor, but suddenly, he knew without a shadow of a doubt he didn’t want to be anywhere else. "No, don’t send me away. I was confused, Snape, I was so confused. I miss Sirius, I really miss him. But you’ve been a good guardian – I just went a bit mad for while. Don’t send me away – I promise I’ll be good. Just give me one more chance."

"I gave you a chance," Snape said sadly. "You proved me wrong. No more arguing. We’ll go pack your things."

"Please," Harry got out of his chair, planning to go down on his knees if he had to, "please let me stay. Just one more chance."

Snape opened his mouth, then closed it, a thoughtful expression on his face as if he were being tempted to reconsider. "There is one last thing that might help. We could try it, but after that, there is nothing else I can do."

"Yes, yes," Harry nodded, sniffling a little. "I’ll do it. You can punish me however you like."

"Sit down," Snape motioned back to the chair. "Do not move."

He stalked out of the room, his black shoes clicking smartly on the floor.

Harry concentrated on taking one breath after the other. He had no idea where Snape was going or if he would be coming back at all. No matter what Snape planned to, no matter how he decided to deal with his ward, Harry knew he just had to suffer though it. Even if Snape came back with a cane, like the one Dudley got to take to his school, Harry would not complain.

He drew a long, shuddering breath. He felt so tired, so utterly exhausted. Everything he did had been wrong, he hurt everyone – even Snape was ready to get away from him. Harry had tried so hard, so hard to get Sirius back, but it was too late now.

Snape came back in, and Harry hurriedly blinked back tears.

"Here," Snape thrust out a small vial to Harry, "drink this, and we’ll see if it helps. I wouldn’t use it otherwise, but this really is our last chance."

It might be a sleeping draught; it might be poison. Harry didn’t stop to ask. He didn’t even hesitate, just brought the vial up to his lips and began gulping.

Snape raised a questioning eyebrow at Harry’s ready acceptance. Harry said nothing though he grimaced at the potion’s awful taste. Really, why did these things have to be so bad? After he was done, he handed the empty vial back to Snape and waited.

"Come here," Snape guided Harry over to the sofa. "Lie down."

Harry did so and then stared up at Snape, waiting for further instructions.

"Fold your arms across your stomach. Breathe deeply."

Snape pulled out a gold chain, about a foot long, with a bluish silver ball attached to the end. He held the end of the chain up, allowing the ball to swinging just over Harry’s face. "Watch the ball, Potter. Just watch the ball."

Snape began swinging the ball around in small circles. Harry watched it obediently, his eyes moving around to circles to keep up with the ball.

"That’s it. Breathe in and out. Just watch the ball. You feel better, already, don’t you? All relaxed. No, don’t answer – just relax."

Snape’s voice was very calming, and Harry felt his eyelids grow heavy as he stared up at the twirling ball. He had no desire in the world except to watch the ball spin around forever.

"Watch the ball . . . that’s it . . . watch the ball, Harry . . . just watch it . . . then close your eyes . . . there’s a good boy . . . close them . . ."

Helpless to resist, Harry closed his eyes, but when he opened them, the ball was gone. He blinked a few times, even rubbed his eyes with one hand. Snape was gone as well and so was Snapdragon Manor.

Harry realized he was standing in the door of somewhere vaguely familiar. He glanced around. The place looked quite dim, most of the candles burnt down. The pictures, the walls – if he didn’t know better, he’d think he was at . . . but no, that couldn’t be right.

Someone was moving in the next room, scuffling around in an aimless fashion. Harry rounded the corner to look in the room. Once there, he froze.

Sirius Black was leaning over the kitchen table, glancing over some papers. He glanced up and looked straight at Harry.

"Oh, there you are," Sirius said in the old familiar voice that sounded like a bark. "I had wondered where you'd gone to."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1089