Muggleville by Jan_AQ
Past Featured StorySummary: With a strange potion, new location and the odd Muggle Studies Professor along for the ride, Harry's in for an interesting summer, but why is Snape here? Dumbledore had better pray he gets all three back in one piece! Humor, Angst, No Mary Sues, No Romance, no real plot.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaging, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 163476 Read: 500732 Published: 15 Jan 2005 Updated: 17 Jul 2016
Bubble and Squeak by Jan_AQ
Author's Notes:
Last chapter: Harry skipped his usual nap, then threw a tantrum and his dinner on the floor.

Snape left for the adjoining bathroom and came back with a wet cloth. He wiped Harry's face, washing off the tears and snot from his earlier debacle.

“Go to sleep, Harry,” Snape said. “Tomorrow I expect you to be cheerful, well rested and willing to eat whatever is placed before you.”

Despite the early hour, Harry found himself doing just that, exhausted at the long day he had. He wasn't awake for when Snape stroked his head, much the same way Hoppity had earlier.

Harry woke up the next morning feeling much better, but really hungry. He knew that it was early, the sun wasn't even up yet. Was he allowed to get out of bed?

He remembered that Snape had put him to bed early the night before, straight after dinner, or in Harry's case, the lack thereof. He was worried that maybe that wasn't his only punishment. Harry felt his cheeks warm as he remembered that he had thrown his dinner plate to the floor, because he didn't like what was served for tea. He had behaved horribly, and he was rather amazed that he was still in one piece, and not sitting in jars in the basement as potions ingredients for Snape.

Pulling the blankets up over his head in embarrassment, Harry tried to stay in bed for as long as he could, but finally his bladder signaled too urgently, and he had to get out of bed.

Harry sat up and moved the covers down. He crawled out of bed, but moved his bunny to the middle of the bed so that it could stay warm in his absence. Tiptoeing to his lav, Harry kept his ears open for any sounds. He half expected Snape to swoop down on him, despite the early hour. He didn't want to see him so soon, not while he was still reeling from the realization and embarrassment of his previous behaviour.

After using the toilet, Harry looked at his reflection over the sink as he washed his hands. His hair was messy, and pointing every which way, almost a signal that its owner was a mischievous being.

Suddenly, Harry's stomach growled. It wasn't a small growl, it was a painful growl. There was only one place to go - the kitchen. He was hungry, starving even, and he had had years of practice of filching food from before. Giving one last look at his short reflection in the mirror, Harry set off.

Harry opened his bedroom door and set off down the hall and down the front flight of stairs. He didn't want to press his luck and go anywhere near Snape's bedroom. The house was very quiet, only the air conditioning making a slight humming sound. It was also dark as none of the lights were on, and Harry didn't want to rick getting caught by turning them on. He could hear birds faintly, so he knew that it was early, but not that early.

Once in the kitchen, Harry made his way to the fridge and opened it. The light from the single light bulb at the top of the fridge was bright, and Harry blinked against it. The white kitchen tile was cold under his feet. Harry shivered a little when the coldness from the refrigerator hit his skin. Shivering, he rummaged around, looking for something yummy to eat. There was cheese in the door, and he pulled it out.

“Ah, it seems that we have a miscreant out of bed,” came a soft, warning voice from out of the darkness.

Harry gasped and turned to see around the fridge door. Of course, he knew who it was, but how did he get there so silently?

“And just what are you up to?” Snape looked like he had just woken up. He was dressed, but his eyes were small and squinting. He was also very quiet, and a quiet Snape was never a good thing.

“Nothing,” was Harry's quiet answer. “I'm hungry.”

“Did I give you permission to get out of bed?” Snape asked as he came near and took the cheese out of Harry's hands.

“No... but you didn't say I couldn't.” Harry gave a challenging squint up at Snape. Snape was cast in shadows and seemed very tall. Harry was worried that he'd be sent to bed hungry again. It was terrible and he dearly wished he wouldn't be.

Snape moved to the wall and flipped on the light. They both blinked in the sudden light, the kitchen suddenly thrust into painful morning clarity.

“Ow.” Harry closed his eyes and rubbed at them, wishing that he'd had some warning.

“If you are hungry you may have breakfast now, but it will be what I serve you.” Snape warned. “Otherwise, you may go back to bed and have what I serve you in two hours.”

That didn't seem like much of a choice to Harry, but he was very relieved that he was getting food, and not just sent back to his room post haste. “I'll have whatever you serve now, Sir,” Harry replied, polite in his gratitude that Snape wasn't sending him back to bed hungry, even though he was up early and apparently up without permission.

“It's amazing what a good night's sleep does for your attitude.” Snape pulled the small boy away from the fridge and shut the door. “I believe that bubble and squeak is in order,” he said, mentioning the English breakfast dish that was made out of yesterday's vegetables and potatoes. “I expect no complaints from you, or you may go back to bed.”

Harry made a face at the idea of vegetables for breakfast, but his hungry stomach grumbled, and the thought of going back to bed without food was unbearable.

“Well?” Snape prodded.

“I'll eat what you serve,” Harry agreed unhappily. He started for the kitchen chair he usually sat at when Snape's hand reached out and caught his shoulder.

“Go upstairs and put on a jumper,” Snape commanded. “You're shivering, and the last thing I need is a sick Potter.”

Harry shivered, suddenly realizing just how cold he was. A jumper sounded like a grand idea. “Okay.” Harry left the kitchen and came back, slightly warmer in his gray jumper.

Snape was at the stove, frying something up. It smelled yummy to Harry's tummy, which was cramping painfully now that he had gone without food for some time. It hurt, but Harry knew that if he didn't get food, the pain would get worse before eventually going away.

Snape got out a cup and some orange juice while the vegetables cooked, putting a half full cup in front of Harry. Then he went and put the breakfast dish on two plates, carrying them to the table. He set one in front of Harry.

“Thank you,” Harry said.

“Be careful, it's hot,” Snape warned as he got out some silverware. He placed a fork next to Harry's plate. “I expect you to eat it all.”

Harry quickly picked up his fork and dug into his meal. It took a couple of tries to get the vegetable and potato mash to stay on his fork as he brought it up to his mouth. Remembering Snape's warning, he blew on it before eating it. Harry hummed in happiness as he tasted the dish. Snape had put cheese in it, and the vegetables weren't so bad. He didn't know why he hadn't liked them last night. Oh, that's right, he didn't even try them.

Across the table, Snape was watching him with his dark eyes. He looked a little smug at Harry's reaction to the food. Harry sheepishly put his fork down.

“I do not expect to have a repeat performance of last night,” Snape stated, “Otherwise, I will leave your dinner on the table, and you will eat it cold the next morning for breakfast.”

Harry shuddered a little. He could handle hot vegetables with cheese and potatoes, but cold, plain vegetables for breakfast was too terrible to even imagine.

“Understood?”

“Yes,” Harry answered sullenly. There was no way that he'd do it again and let that happen. Yuk!

They continued eating their breakfast in silence.

Snape took his last bite and placed a serviette on his plate. He addressed Harry, “When you are finished, go upstairs to take a shower and get dressed. I expect you downstairs and ready for a lesson in twenty minutes since last night's attempt was atrocious.”

Harry frowned at the news, an Occlumency lesson, this early? It seemed beastly unfair.

Sensing Harry's mood, Snape stood up. “Don't think that you can get away with a poor performance. I will have improvement, or else. Now, Potter.”

Harry finished his last bite slowly, then got up and took his plate to the kitchen sink. He put it on the edge, and gently slid it downwards into the sink, since he was really too short to place it in the sink. It landed with a little thump, and Harry left the room under Snape's disproving look.

After a short shower and a change of clothes, Harry made his bed. It wasn't perfect, but it was well done to Harry. He hid his plush bunny and dragon under his pillow, as if they were in a cave, or a burrow. Unable to dilly dally any longer, Harry made his way downstairs.

Snape was waiting for him in the empty back room, sitting in the only chair in the room and looking more awake than earlier.

The sun still wasn't up, but the sky was lightening and the birds were louder than before.

“Come here, Harry,” Snape called, and Harry walked obediently over. The professor looked him over, “Did you comb your hair?”

Reaching up to pat his damp and messy hair, Harry could only give a guilty look.

Sighing, Snape pulled Harry closer between his knees, and with a flick of his wrist a comb appeared in his hand.

“It's still going to stand up,” Harry cautioned, closing his eyes as Snape ran the comb through his hair. It felt good since Snape was gently combing the wet hair, not pulling.

“Yes, but it is the attempt that matters, you should always comb your hair. Perhaps with enough effort, it will lie flat one day, just like with enough effort, you may one day learn Occlumency.”

Harry started at the slight praise. Did Snape think that he really could do it?

“But not if you don't practice,” Snape said, putting away the comb. “Now sit down, and clear your mind.”

Feeling more positive than he had in a long time, Harry sat down and began the difficult task of clearing his childish mind.

---

Hoppity found them, an hour later when she came downstairs for breakfast at a normal time. She smiled at the sound of low voices coming out of the back room. She peeked through the doorway, seeing Harry strangely still, a slight tremor running through his body as if he wanted to do something, but was using all his effort to stay still instead.

Snape looked shocked, but pleased. He ended a spell with his wand, and Harry's body relaxed, before immediately going into a jump.

“I did it!” Harry exclaimed, hopping all around like a crazed rabbit. “I did it! I did it!”

“You did?” Hoppity asked, hopping into the excitement, and jumping around with Harry. “Amazing! What did you do?”

“I did it!” Harry answered, not shining any light on the matter as he jumped up and down.

“He managed to resist my mind magic,” Snape informed her, almost disbelievingly but pleased. “Good job, Harry. Very good.”

Harry stopped jumping and beamed up at his teacher. “I did it!”

“Yes, you did.”

“Wow, Harry, I'm proud of you,” Hoppity said as she hugged the little boy. She didn't really understand all of what was going on, but for a little boy to resist mind magic, that was incredible! “I believe this deserves a breakfast malt!”

Snape cleared his throat. “I believe that breakfast malts would not be appropriate, given the circumstances of last night, not to mention the almost nonexistent nutritional benefits of ice cream in the morning.” Both Harry and Hoppity could read what Snape meant, Harry would only get a breakfast malt over Snape's dead body.

“Sugary cereal?” Harry tried.

“No, Potter. Did you not just eat breakfast? Was it not satisfactory?”

Yes, it had been, but not being hungry wasn't a reason to skip out on ice cream, or anything sugary. Just wanting ice cream was reason enough to eat it, and Harry had more reason than that, since he had just accomplished something difficult.

“Yes, it was good,” Harry reluctantly answered, “Even if it was vegetables.”

Hoppity looked satisfied at the news. “See? I told you you'd like them!” Then she thought of something, “Wow, Harry, how long have you been up?”

“Since before five,” Snape answered distastefully. “I have no doubt that he will get tired before noon and require a rest. Indeed, I intend to make him take one, let's not have a repeat of cranky Potter.”

“Maybe... maybe that's why he was so cranky yesterday,” Hoppity tried. “Because he was tired and didn't rest earlier.”

Harry scowled at the fact that the adults were talking about him again, as if he wasn't in the room. Hoppity's hand started patting his head lovingly, however, so he soon lost his scowl and enjoyed the feeling.

“Perhaps,” Snape looked at Harry, appraising. “In any case, an early mid meal and then a nap will be appropriate for today.”

Harry stuck out his tongue at Snape, showing his displeasure at this idea.

“Impertinent brat.”

“Well, after that there is something I'd like us to do. Let me show you,” Hoppity beckoned them to follow her into the kitchen. Once there, she pulled open a drawer and took out a bright orange flyer.

Harry tried to peer up and see it as she passed it to Snape.

“See? There is a neighborhood block party today, starting after one and going until sunset. Wouldn't that be great fun?”

“A block party?” Harry asked, trying to look at the colorful flyer as Snape tried to keep it out of his reach. “I want to go.”

Snape snorted. “Of course. Do you even know what it is?” Snape didn't know himself, except that it seemed to include food and 'fun'.

“It's... a party,” Harry answered in a small voice.

“Well, if we go we shall find out!” Hoppity clasped her hands together, looking excited at the prospect. Her curly red hair bounced at the motion. “There will lots of things to do, even a softball match, whatever that is.”

“Why ever should we go?” Snape asked disagreeably. “I believe that after Harry's ill behaviour last night, that the last thing he deserves is a party.”

Harry frowned at the news, and his lip quivered at the idea of missing anything that seemed so fun. He wished dearly that he hadn't thrown his food last night. “But- but I ate my vegetables this morning,” he complained.

Snape looked down and glared at him. “That doesn't negate your earlier theatrics. I'm not entirely sure that you have learned your lesson.”

“Oh, come now,” Hoppity said, unintentionally repeating a phrase that her Great Uncle Albus often used on Severus. “I'm sure that with an early bedtime last night, and this night, and no ice cream, Harry bean has learned his lesson.”

Wait - an early bedtime tonight too? This was the first that Harry heard of it. And no ice cream? Well, Snape had forbidden Breakfast malts, but that didn't mean he couldn't have ice cream the whole day!

Snape pursed his lips, thinking. “No sweets at all, and if Harry breaks any rules, no matter how small, I am taking him straight home. No complaining, no whining about it.”

Snape was going to let him go? Harry held his breath at the prospect. He wanted sweets, but if that was the trade off, Harry could live with it. He wasn't planning on breaking any rules, so that was no problem, right? And if he broke one right at the end, then it wouldn't matter, Snape would take him home anyway.

“One sweet,” Hoppity bartered. “Anything less would be cruel.”

“Says you,” Snape countered. “Sweets rot teeth and brains, and Potter needs all that he has.”

“Surely one wouldn't do any harm.”

Harry peered up admiringly at his guardian. She was brave to go up against Snape, and he was endeared that it was about him, Harry. She liked him enough that she was willing to go against The Snape to allow Harry a treat. He felt his cheeks go hot at the thought.

“Perhaps he may have one if he has an extra serving of vegetables for lunch as well as for tea.”

Blegh. More vegetables. But they hadn't been so bad for breakfast, and if he ate them, maybe he could get ice cream!

“Deal!” Harry exclaimed. Both of his guardians looked startled, as if they had forgotten he was there.

Snape gave a pleased look down at the little boy. “Yes, extra servings of vegetables is exactly what he needs, and an earlier bedtime.” He lowered his face to look more seriously pleased, “If you poke one toe out of line, I will take you home immediately. Is that a deal, Harry?”

“Deal,” Harry breathed out, suddenly feeling a little unsure with himself. He felt like he was making a deal with a rogue, but surely Harry wouldn't get into that much trouble, that easily.

To be continued...
End Notes:
How did you like the chapter? :) Please list mistakes after some positive feedback. I didn't bother beta'ing. Reviews appreciated. Thanks! :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=11