So it Ends, then Begins by Howl
Summary: On Halloween, Voldemort killed the Potters, now sixteen years later on the same day, Harry kills Voldemort. With the Dark Lord gone, Harry's allowed to live his life, but can he figure out how? Snape mentors Harry fic. Ch. 10 revised. Complete
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 83825 Read: 89534 Published: 09 Mar 2006 Updated: 09 Mar 2006
The Impossible Gift Search by Howl

The Friday before the Hogsmead Weekend found the DA members in the Room of Requirement with Snape sulking in a corner.

Next week was the final week before Christmas and for the past hour and a half the members had worked on reviewing spells and curses. After that, Harry, Ron and Hermione found himself slumped off to a side of the room as the rest of the members, sixth years that is, took up the challenge of helping the fifth years.

From time to time, one of the members would come over and sit with them and either leave or one of the trio would leave to go help. It was, what most would say, a very boring night.

“Harry do you have ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’?” Ron asked as Hermione looked up glaring

“You still haven’t bought yourself a new copy?” Hermione huffed and Ron shook his head. “Well, buy one this weekend at Hogsmead instead of all those dungbombs!”

“Dungbombs rule!” Ron whooped.

“Funny,” Harry commented causing the two, along with Ernie, who had joined him, to look over.

“What?” Hermione demanded.

“What you guys just said is exactly the same thing that’s written on the first page of my book!” Harry laughed as both Hermione and Ron dived to snatch it.

“Harry, give it here!” Hermione demanded as Harry leapt backwards, dancing out of their way. The others stopped to watch them.

“Don’t worry ‘Mione, it’s the only thing you’ve written in here. But Ron, I wish you’d stop writing Chudley Cannons all over my book.” Harry laughed, as Ron along with Ernie’s help tackled the Boy-Who-Lived to the ground.

Ron started to flip through the pages, as Hermione frowned disapprovingly. He kept nodding in agreement and laughing heartily.

“Honestly, boys,” Hermione whispered.

“Hey, Harry, here it is,” Ron laughed. “Written proof.”

“What? That anything Hagrid likes is the most dangerous animal...don’t think we need proof for that.” Almost everyone in the room nodded in agreement.

“No, the dunderhead, this...Harry loves Moaning Myrtle!” Instantly everyone was laughing.

“What?” Harry shouted and he dived forward, as Ron flashed the page it was written on toward Harry. “That doesn’t count! You wrote that!” Harry cried out as Ron fell back laughing.

“W-what was it she said in our second year?” Ron gasped, diving out of Harry’s reach. “Right after we got out of the Chamber of Secrets...oh yeah...she said that she was hoping if you died you’d share her toilet with her.”

“I remember that,” Ginny laughed, as everyone fell backwards howling, even Hermione. “I bet Lockheart even remembers that. Myrtle fancies you Harry...and she hasn’t stopped either. What’d you do?”

“You kidding me, Harry’s the only one who could get a ghost to fancy him.” Hermione howled.

“Well, it wasn’t like it was that bad of a thing...she helped me with the Triwizard Tournament of course she was spying on me in the bathroom...rather unnerving really and kind of creepy...” Harry trailed off at the new batch of laughter.

“Never told us that Harry, keeping secrets are we?” Ron taunted.

“Oh yeah, Ron, about your crush you had on the Grey Lady!” Ginny laughed causing Ron to blush.

“That doesn’t count, I wasn’t at Hogwarts yet and Fred and George didn’t tell me she was dead.” But everyone was laughing already. Hermione was flipping through Harry’s book. She tossed it to Ron when he motioned for it.

Pulling out a quill he flipped the book open to Centaurs and wrote several more ‘X’s by the danger level. “At least the Forbidden Forest ones are.” Ron laughed, passing the book to Ginny who motioned for it.

“The Grey Lady? Really?” Ernie laughed, causing Ron’s ears to boil. Everyone was sitting down now.

“C’mon, Ron, is that really you’re most embarrassing memory?” Hermione laughed.

“No, but second year holds most of them...like the Howler mum sent.” Everyone remembered that.

“Didn’t you fly that car in your second year?” Cho asked as Hermione pulled a dark look.

“Yeah...” Harry laughed, remembering that flight.

“Why?” asked Justin, intrigued.

“Did we ever find that out?” Ron asked Harry who nodded.

“Don’t you remember, I told you Dobby blocked the barrier from us. Didn’t want me going back to school.” Harry grinned happily. Hannah dropped a bag of sweets in front of everyone, blushing.

“Happy early Christmas,” she blushed. A chorus of thanks soared through the air.

“Anyway, I think Neville’s got the best memory ever.” Ron declared, popping a sweet into his mouth.

“No I don’t,” Neville said, flabbergasted.

“Harry you should send this book in, you could get all the mistakes fixed.” Ginny laughed, tossing the book to Harry, who glanced at it and tossed it away. “I mean, it should be known that Acromantula isn’t rare at all.” She laughed.

“Uggh...I don’t think people want to know about Aragog.” Ron said in disgust.

“Anyway, what’s Neville’s best memory?” Ernie asked as Harry shot Ron a wide grin.

“Hmm...one of two things really, either his Boggart in third year,” roars of laughter all of them forgetting the one they were laughing at was in the room with them. “Or when Lockheart let out all those pixies and they picked you by your ears.”

“I still can’t believe Lockheart did that,” Hermione said disapprovingly.

“What are you on about?” Ron demanded. “You fancied him!” Hermione blushed as all the boys laughed and all the girls mumbled something of the same lines. “Really? I rather date Parkinson then even think of Lockheart as anything but a sweltering big head.”

“Well, Lockheart is alive, unlike your two crushes, Harry and Ron.” At this more gales of laughter.

“Now, I don’t think Myrtle counts, because it was your fault I ever even talked to her.” Harry pointed out. “And anyway, I thought you didn’t like her because she laughed at when you turned...” Harry trailed off, but he was saved as Neville accidentally swallowed a candy that made him steam out the ears.

Everyone fell over laughing at this.

“Well, Harry’s worst moment...well there’s so many...how to begin.” Neville laughed causing Harry to growl.

“Was it first year...um...you know nothing bad happened in first year. Except Fluffy, and that’s not embarrassing.” Ron mused.

“Second year, now that was bad,” Hermione continued. “First the bookshop with Lockheart, Harry looked ready to kill the man. Then, Lockheart again. Mostly Harry’s problem in second year was Lockheart.”

“Third year,” Neville mused.

“Would have to be when that m—parchment insulted Snape.” Ron finished off, causing everyone to grin. That had spread quickly around the school.

“Don’t,” Harry warned, “even start on fourth year, because we’ll be here forever.”

“Well, we could just outline it.” Ron grinned darkly. “All and I mean all the articles by our one and only Rite Skeeter. Or...no has to be the articles. Maybe when Snape read them in class...oh man that was bad. Also, Myrtle spying on you in the bathroom.” Instantly everyone was howling in laughter again.

“Thanks,” said Harry dryly. “For summarizing all my embarrassing moments, I did need a reminder.” Instantly everyone laughed again. Glaring, Harry popped a sweat that made him roar like a tiger into his mouth.

Instantly Ginny popped one of Fred and George’s latest, which made you sound like a train and when you opened you mouth the illusion of a train came out happened. Harry just laughed; an odd sprouting tiger-roar laugh.

“Mr. Potter!” Snape’s voice suddenly rang through his head. Everyone froze, for they all had forgotten, including Hermione, that there was a professor in there with them and that it was indeed Snape.

“Yes...sir?” Harry asked, gulping down the tingly roar that wanted to arise.

“What do you mean I’ve never read this book?” he demanded causing Harry to look at him stupidly. He thrust the book under his nose and quite clearly in his own scrawl were the words, ‘Snape hasn’t read this either’, and it was right next to Kappa.

“When did he say it?” Harry asked Hermione who looked over his shoulder. “One Defense class, someone...was it you Hermione? Whoever. You said that Kappa was not Japanese or something along those lines.” Harry shrugged as everyone sucked in their breath. Snape’s eyes flashed and he looked back at the book, drawing into the shadows.

Harry turned around, slowly, and met Ron’s eyes.

“Myrtle, what a disgrace,” Ron tutted and instantly everyone started to laugh again. They talked on for a while, more careful about not mentioning Snape, and did what they had done to Harry, talked about their most embarrassing moments. Most moments Harry realized he had never even heard about.

“Ginny, you have anymore of those train candies from the twins, my brother would love those.” Ernie asked and Ginny shook her head.

“I do,” Harry said, remembering the package he got from the twins that morning.

“Great,” Ernie breathed as Harry dug in his pack for them. Glancing up he found Snape’s eyes on him.

“They aren’t illegal,” he informed, as he withdrew the package. “Flitch hasn’t found out about them yet.” Snape just raised an eyebrow and went back to the book. Harry had half a bag full and Ernie bought part of it.

“Thanks, you’re a life savior. Steve’s harder to buy gifts than my dad.” Ernie grinned stupidly as Harry shoved the rest of the treats back into the bag with Fred and George’s money.

“I’ve gotta go,” Justin suddenly cried out, jumping to his feet. “Bye,” he said as he dashed out of the room.

“Hey, Harry, stop putting your wand in your back pocket?” Hermione suddenly ordered as she noticed Harry’s wand there. Harry removed it with a dark grin.

“Alright Mother, or Mad-Eye Moody.” Harry informed, as Hermione glared.

“Harry,” Cho and Justin and Ernie were all leaving. Glancing over his shoulder he looked at Ernie. “I’m not sure it’ll be a good thing for you do to...asking Myrtle out.”

“Ernie!” Harry jumped to his feet and instantly Ron and Ginny grabbed him. Ernie dashed out of the room quickly. After that everyone filed out of the room, slowly and it appeared reluctantly.

Soon, it was only Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna and Neville.

“Will you be having a meeting next week?” Snape demanded from his usual spot in the shadows. Harry looked at Hermione who shrugged.

“No, Professor, I don’t think so.” Snape nodded and swept out of the room.

“He left with my book,” Harry pointed out as soon as he was gone.

“Really?” Ron asked in disbelief.

“Probably an accident,” Hermione commented and Harry shrugged.

“He’ll probably write comments over all my other comments.” Harry laughed. “So, what should we get the DA members, seeing as they’ve all been frequently giving us sweets?”

“I think...” Hermione began slowly. “We should get Snape something.” Everyone froze. Neville, Harry and Ron were all staring at her as if she were insane while Ginny seemed to think it might be a good idea.

“Are you mental?” Ron gasped in horror.

“No,” Ginny snapped before Hermione could speak. “Think of how much he’s helped us. First, he risked his life to help us in that fight against Voldemort, and then he’s helped us cope with it.”

No one spoke, but Harry found himself eyeing them all carefully.

“He has helped us, and it isn’t something you’d expect Snape to do.” Neville commented.

“How’s—how’s he helped?” Harry asked.

“Well, I—err—sought him out,” Ginny mumbled. “I needed to talk,” everyone nodded in agreement. “I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, maybe a detention or just him making snide insults, but he helped. Not in the way I expected, mostly in his own way.”

“Ginny told me she sought his help, and I did the same.” Hermione mumbled. “The nightmares have stopped.”

“He did it after he woke me up from my nightmare and sometimes stopped me in the hall.” Neville informed.

“I just walked into his office one day, after Ginny talked to me, and he just set back and listened.” Luna informed.

“Happened after I hit him with the snowball, he chewed me out for a good long time, and then he sat back, buried his head into his hands, and after about five minutes of that he asked if I was having nightmares.” Ron said sheepishly. “It did help.”

“Yeah,” everyone except Harry mumbled.

“Didn’t it help with you Harry?” Ginny asked and Harry shrugged.

“I’ve never talked about it with him, we don’t talk really. Just sort of work in silence.” Everyone stared at him as if he were insane.

“I-I thought you were getting help from him...that’s why I went. Figured if you could do it, then I could.” Ginny mumbled. “No wondered he seemed a bit surprise when I first went to him.”

“Really? You didn’t talk, but you seem so much more at ease lately.” Hermione commented and Harry shrugged.

“We didn’t talk, but the silence helped a bit I guess. And I’ve been carving more.” Ron, by sheer chance, had stumbled upon Harry carving Ginny’s box and now they all knew.

“Well, you should try talking too,” Ginny said confidently. Neville nodded in agreement. “Anyway, I think it’s a great idea to get him something.”

“All together,” Ron suggested hopefully.

“No, separately. He’s helped too much that buying one all together would be a bit tactful.” Hermione declared, obviously having put some thought into it.

“Well, when he comes after us to kill us, we’ll stand behind you.” Ron commented snidely. “You know as well as I do, he’ll kill us!”

“Yes, but you’re a Quidditch player, you should be able to run.” Hermione said sarcastically. At that, everyone leaned back in thought.

Harry hadn’t told them about what Snape had done over the summer; he figured Snape would hate it if he did that. But Hermione was right, Snape had done a lot. In a way, he had helped Harry more then the others.

Since first year, even though he instantly hated Harry, Snape still helped him. He did Occlumency lessons too but that hadn’t turned out well. Yet, all this year, after Voldemort’s defeat, he had helped, even if Harry hadn’t spoken to him like the others, Snape was still there for him in a way. Mostly, he just kept Harry company.

In a way, Harry felt he owed Snape more then just an average gift, but what?

“This,” Ron said voicing Harry’s thoughts. “Is going to be bloody impossible.”

888

Hogsmead was crowded and it was snowing heavily. Harry and others found themselves trooping up to Hogsmead with more than one mission. One was to find a gift for each other and the other was to find one for Snape. The latter was going to be the hardest.

“We should split up,” Hermione called out over the gale.

“She’s right, how are we going to buy gifts for each other when we’re around each other?” Ginny asked, grinning through the snow.

“Alright,” Ron called out, detouring in the other direction.

“Meet at Three Broomsticks in two hours,” Harry suggested and they all nodded before breaking up.

Harry found himself going straight to the bookshop where he knew he could get Hermione’s gift. Rolling his fingers over books binds, Harry found himself trying to find two gifts, one for Hermione and the other for Snape. Snape would probably enjoy a book on something or another.

However, to his surprise, he found himself finding Ron’s present there. A special volume on the Chudley Cannons. It was their twenty-fifth anniversary. There were three thick volumes, and Harry bought one, while imploring to the manager that he keep the other two hidden. The man didn’t seem to mind, since no one wanted to buy them anyway.

Two hours wasn’t enough time, Harry decided as he trooped toward Three Broomsticks. He had gotten gifts for everyone and the most he could find for Snape were some sweets from Honeydukes. They were the only sweets Harry had ever seen Snape eat and actually enjoy.

They were sour black droplets that looked like water and they made your eyes completely black. But Harry knew that wasn’t nearly good enough as a present.

He found the others sitting at a back table in the pub. Sitting down with them, he found that they all looked relieved.

“Did you find one for him Harry?” Ginny asked as soon as Harry sat down.

“Err—no, I’ll look in some catalogs when I get back to school. Did you guys?” Harry asked and they all nodded. Ron explained how he found his by complete accident while Hermione informed them that she talked to the owner of the bookstore. Luna and Ginny needed up meeting each other in some shop Harry had never bothered to enter and there they found their gifts.

Neville said he found his by sheer luck, much like Ron, and he found it seconds before he came to Three Broomsticks. Harry suddenly felt stupid. They all had gotten Snape gifts, and he, the one that probably owed Snape the most, had only gotten him some Black Eyed Droplets. Even Ron had managed to get Snape a gift.

After a while, they left the pub and made their way back to Hogwarts, joining swarms of students on the path. Once back at school, the six of them broke off from the others and slumped down in front of a random portrait on an empty corridor.

“Who’s going home for the Holidays?” Luna asked and everyone but Harry rose their hands.

“You could come back to the Burrow, I’m sure of it.” Ron and Ginny chanted in unison. But they also knew it wasn’t possible. The whole Weasley family, including Percy who had apologized sometime after Voldemort’s defeat, were going to be there and the Burrow couldn’t manage someone else.

“It’s okay, really,” Harry insisted. “Just think of it this way, when Snape finds out we got him presents, I’ll be killed first and you’ll be warned.” Harry laughed but Hermione and Ron were frowning doubtfully. “Really, it’s okay.”

Later that night, Harry found himself pouring over some catalogs but was getting nowhere in his search.

“This,” he muttered, leaning back in his chair. “Is an impossible gift search.”

“Don’t worry mate, you’ll find something.” Ron remarked as he glanced up from his Charms book. Harry nodded slightly.

He sure hoped so.

The End.
End Notes:

A/N: I used the book Mrs. Rowling put out a few years ago, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, for any comments I used that were written in the book, supposedly. Understand? I sure hope that made sense. Anyway, Review please.

2: Also, for those grammatical errors, I’m terribly sorry. I do reread them...several times, if I miss them, I’m sorry. As for the ‘ropes’ instead of ‘robes’ in the first couple chapters, I’m sorry...those were accidents, but you do get the gist.



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1107