So it Ends, then Begins by Howl
Summary: On Halloween, Voldemort killed the Potters, now sixteen years later on the same day, Harry kills Voldemort. With the Dark Lord gone, Harry's allowed to live his life, but can he figure out how? Snape mentors Harry fic. Ch. 10 revised. Complete
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 83825 Read: 89537 Published: 09 Mar 2006 Updated: 09 Mar 2006
Waking up alone by Howl

When Harry woke up there was a pulsing silence. Startled, he sat bolt upright and everything that happened swam into his head. Attack, Lupin, cold, dementors, Death Eaters, Gary, tamer, Snape, choking, jolting, Snape, cave-in, Snape, digging, cold, Snape, Peeves, dust, Snape...

Harry’s head was reeling and as he looked around he found he was somewhere he didn’t recognize. He was in a short ward, there were five other beds but they weren’t occupied. He was alone, in somewhere he didn’t know, alone.

Fear engulfed him for a minute. What happened? He remembered Peeves and that was it. Didn’t Peeves say he was going to get help? He must’ve. Harry was no longer trapped in the dungeons, but where was he? In an unfamiliar ward? Harry’s heart pounded.

Determined to figure out where he was, Harry swung out of bed and upon shaky legs he walked the length of the ward. It wasn’t long but in Harry’s weak state, he felt like he was running miles. Finally, he reached the door and wrenched it open.

The corridor in front of the ward was completely deserted and a bit empty. Any and all windows leading outside showed that it was late into the night, but shouldn’t there still be people out. What was going on?

Gritting his teeth against the bitter cold under his bare feet, he began to walk the corridor in a determination to find where he was. He passed several doors, and they were all wards too, but all empty. Harry’s heart pounded in a new tinge of fear.

Then he came to the end of the corridor, and there was a door off to the side. Curious, wondering if it was just another empty ward, Harry peeked in and gasped at what he saw.

It was indeed another ward, but two beds were occupied and they were occupied by the two people Harry had on his mind. Severus Snape was lying in the bed in the far corner, and Remus Lupin was lying in the one next to it. Neither of them looked good.

Remus was wrapped up in bandages around his shoulders and knees (he didn’t have blankets covering him, they were kicked off on the ground) and his breath was shallow. Too shallow for comfort.

Professor Snape wasn’t much better, actually he looked worse. His arm was cast and bandaged, along with several coating liquids on the cast, while his chest was layered in rags of dipped in different colors and different potions. He was pale, much paler then usual, and he looked like his teeth were gritted in pain. His chest didn’t seem to be moving.

Horrified, Harry dived forward, his knees wobbling badly as he stared over the bodies of the two he cared for most in the world (as adults). They both looked inches from death and didn’t seem like they were ever going to wake up. Snape looked in more pain, and Lupin just didn’t seem to breathing much nor was Snape for that matter.

Harry’s head was reeling. They weren’t dead were they? They still wouldn’t be breathing if they were, would they? Or were they trapped in coma? Would they ever wake up? If they didn’t, if they died...Harry shook his head. They had to be alive.

‘Then, why you on an empty floor and they’re the only ones here, and they’re inches from death?’ Harry thought. Why? They couldn’t be? But in his dreams, didn’t Lupin die? Wasn’t Snape dying in the cave-in? ‘That was why you were digging so much!’ Harry stepped forward and felt Lupin’s arm.

It was stone cold and unlike most people it didn’t prickle under his touch. Snape was even colder when Harry touched him. Harry stepped back in horror. Were they dying? Were they dead already? ‘Don’t be stupid! They wouldn’t be breathing if they were already dead!’ Harry chastened. No, they were just dying.

Harry couldn’t take it anymore; he had to get out of there. Find some answers. He ran from the ward, his body moaning under the strain. If he had been more observant he would’ve noticed he was covered in bandages like Snape and Lupin.

He stumbled back the way he came, his head in too much of a whirl to take in much of his surroundings. He needed to find someone. He called out but there was no response.

Putting so much strain of his already weak body, did nothing for Harry. Suddenly, his body couldn’t take much more and he collapsed forward in a thick moan. He managed to pull himself up against the wall, his chest heaving in pain, before he slowly dropped in unconsciousness.

“They’re dead,” he muttered aloud.

888

There were voices around Harry. He couldn’t figure out who they were or where they were coming from. But they were somewhere around him.

“He’s woken up?” a familiar voice asked in concern.

“Yes, Ron and Hermione found him passed out in the corridor!” Another familiar voice.

“Why was he in the corridor?” A new voice asked.

“No ones, he might’ve woken up and walked out.” The second voice said again.

“Why?” the third voice demanded.

“Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville had all gone out for a midnight snack and he must’ve woken up alone. Maybe he panicked.” The second voice said gravely.

“They left him alone!” the first voice called in. “I’m going...”

“Molly, calm down. He’s alright, and they needed a snack. St. Mungo isn’t known for its great food.” The second voice said again. Harry suddenly remembered as he listened to the voices. The empty corridor, the cold hallway, the two beds...Lupin and Snape!

Harry sat jolt up in his bed, his hand in a usual routine grabbing his glasses from the bedside table. Dumbledore, Mrs. Weasley, and Mr. Weasley appeared before him. They all looked at him with kind, relieved faces.

“Harry, dear,” Mrs. Weasley made to bustle forward.

“Remus!” Harry gasped quickly. “Snape!”

“Calm down dear boy, they’re quite alright.” Dumbledore chuckled but Harry shook his head as he tried to escape Mrs. Weasley’s motherly love trying to push him back into bed.

“No, I saw ‘em...last night...they were cold and barely breathing...” Harry panicked.

“Drink this,” someone ordered and Harry turned around startled to see a Healer there. He shoved a potion in his hands and when he saw Harry wasn’t going to drink it, he forced Harry to drink it. Mrs. Weasley gently pushed Harry back into bed.

“But...” Harry began as the potion began to kick in. Harry suddenly felt calmer and everything seemed to slow down.

“Don’t worry, they’re still healing. Professor Snape’s been up and about several times, and grouchier each time he discovers he can’t leave.” Dumbledore chuckled.

“But they looked so dead...” Harry mumbled as the potion completely took control. He turned a questioningly gaze onto the two Weasleys and then the Healer.

“Calming draft,” he informed Harry, misreading the look.

“Yes, dear boy, I found them that way too. But not to worry, they’re perfectly healthy and going to live. Remus had a bit of a bad encounter with a Death Eater in the corridor and weak from the full moon the night before, he was easily beat. He’ll live, do not worry. As for Severus, well he was fine after about a day of rest, but he happened to find St. Mungo’s third floor equipped with a potion that takes certain traits away from the body...” Dumbledore raised his eyebrows knowingly at Harry and for a minute the boy didn’t follow. Then he realized and made a slight gasping ‘oh.’

“So, they’re OK?” Harry asked one last time.

“In perfect health, I do believe. Remus will soon be up and about, and joking around while I’m sure Severus will soon be up and taking points away with a new passion. Now, I must go, come Arthur, let’s go make sure Madame Pomfrey is handling all the students in the Hospital Wing.” He chuckled and with a nod of greeting at Harry, he and Mr. Weasley left.

“I’m in St. Mungo?” Harry asked Mrs. Weasley as the Healer bustled away to work in the corner.

“Yes, Dumbledore decided to take all those seriously injured to St. Mungo and leave the ones who just need chocolate to Madame Pomfrey.” Mrs. Weasley cooed as he fondly tucked Harry tightly into his bed.

“How long have I been out?” Harry asked sheepishly. He wasn’t use to so much attention.

“Almost three days,” she said sadly. “Now, Hermione, Ron, Ginny and Neville are here, so I’ll let them tell you the story. I dear say they’ll want to.” She nodded her head. “You’re a brave lad, Harry, I’m so proud. Now I must go before Arthur does some childish thing with muggle methods.” With that she left the ward.

Harry felt an off stirring emotion when Mrs. Weasley told him that she was proud. Once she was gone the Healer walked over and checked Harry over. For the first time, Harry realized just how bandaged he was.

“Broken ribs, a bit of a burned and strangled neck. Bloody knees and scraped up hands.” The Healer informed as he checked Harry over. He then glanced up with an odd smile. “From your file, Mr. Potter, that’s not a bad list.” With that he left chuckling and Harry rolled his eyes. He bet it wasn’t.

Glancing down he found his chest wrapped in a hefty blue bandage, his knees wrapped tightly, almost like Lupin’s, and his hands tapped up. His neck was glazed down in a thick layer of green lotion.

He leaned back, intent on going back to sleep, when suddenly the doors banged open. Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Neville came trooping in. Harry sat back up and watched them.

“I told you we shouldn’t’ve gone to the fifth floor for the food, that’s four floors up.” Hermione chastened as Ron panted heavily and limped a little to his bed. None of them noticed Harry.

“Well, how was I supposed to know that St. Mungo was a series of corridors and wards that lead all over the damn place?” Ron complained.

“What did you think?” Hermione demanded. “That there was only one corridor to each floor?” Ron nodded and Hermione sighed. “Honestly Ron!”

“Well, I’ve haven’t exactly been here too many times, how was I supposed to know?” Ron demanded and Hermione chuckled.

“Good thing, too, that you haven’t been here too many times.” She leaned forward and kissed Ron.

“Geez, get a room...people trying to heal in here and you two snogging isn’t helping.” Harry moaned and instantly everyone looked at him. Hermione blushed and ran forward at the same time.

“Harry!” she cried out, followed shortly by the others. Soon everyone was on his bed, staring at him eagerly.

“So, you okay there mate?” Ron asked and Harry nodded with a grin. Now that he knew Lupin and Snape were safe, and alive, he was quite alright.

“Yeah, so what happened in the Entrance Hall?” Harry asked eagerly and instantly they all launched into the tale.

“Well, the Death Eaters were protected by some shield that Gary created...so they weren’t affected by the dementors.” Hermione began.

“Yeah, so we were all fighting, and all the DA members produced a patronus so the dementors were held back along with the professors’ patronus helping too. It was amazing. Everyone was fighting, all houses and all years. McGonagall tried to get the students into the Great Hall but they weren’t having it so, and they started to help. It was amazing.” Ron said wildly.

“So? How’d you need up in here?” Harry asked, gesturing around the ward.

“We saved Dumbledore,” Ron muttered in a tone that almost said he didn’t believe it. Harry looked at him, wide-eyed. “A large group of dementors had swooped down on him, and he was too busy trying to help a group of second years to notice them. So Hermione and I dived forward, and tried to fight them off. We managed to drive them off with our patronus, but the Death Eaters were taking advantage of Dumbledore’s momentary lapse to attack, so we stepped in front of their spells. Hurt like blazes, but we saved Dumbledore.” Hermione nodded in agreement and Harry beamed. To save Dumbledore was one of the highest honors anyone could have, and his best friends had done it.

“I tried to tackle a dementor off of a third year...” Neville shivered. “Don’t touch a dementor, it’s horrifying.” Harry nodded in agreement.

“I helped Professor Flitwick with a group of first years, and ended up saving Flitwick from a Death Eater, but got hurt in the rebound. But Flitwick was like Madame Pomfrey over me. It’s kind of weird.” Ginny giggled and everyone else laughed.

“Anyway, we managed to hold them all off and beat them all until the Order members appeared and then we beat their asses. Well, a group got away, but that doesn’t matter.” Ron said happily.

“Oh, and Malfoy betrayed his father!” Hermione informed. “His father got a hold of him and cast the charm to repel the dementors ‘charm’ on him and then ordered them to fight on the winning side. Malfoy went sort of stiff and turned toward Luna, who his father was ordering him to curse, and then said quite plainly, ‘no’ and without another word, he turned and stunned his father, right in the mask.”

“Whoa,” Harry breathed and everyone nodded in agreement.

“What about you? What’s you story?” Hermione demanded. Harry thought for a moment and realized that they didn’t know anything about Snape, meaning that they didn’t know the proper story. Knowing that Snape would never forgive him if he told them of the dementor traits, Harry decided to make his story vague.

He told them everything of Gary, and the dementor. He just forgot to talk about Snape. He only came into the story when Gary was kissed. There Harry became wary of what he said, not sure how much they knew.

“Wasn’t it that necklace Snape was making you and Ginny wear that zapped the dementor off of your neck?” Ron asked and Harry sighed. So they knew about the necklaces. Good.

“Yeah,” and he explained about the hidden room and the collapsing ceiling.

“Of course,” Hermione said. “In Hogwarts: A History it says that the dungeons are supported by three different hidden rooms, and if one collapses it’s then the whole area collapses. That’s why it took so long to find you, half the dungeons collapsed. I heard Flitwick and Dumbledore talking, they’re working on that right now.”

“Yeah, well Peeves found us and that was lucky of we would’ve been there forever.” Harry said, glad he didn’t have to explain anymore. “No one got kissed right?”

“Nope,” Ron said grinning. “Hey, I’ve got some good food, help me Nev and Herm.” Ron said, diving from Harry’s bed and running to his. Neville looked pleased at the thought of food and Hermione rolling her eyes went to help her boyfriend.

“I convinced Ron to lay off about trusting Snape with the necklaces. Mind you, I was right in the middle of a curse when I felt that jolt, scared me half to death.” Ginny giggled. “Are you OK?” Harry nodded. “Dumbledore’s moved the dance till after finals, Ron’s been moaning about it day. But Dumbledore doesn’t think anyone will be up for a dance tonight.”

“It’s that close?” Harry asked in horror.

“No, he’s moved it until after finals,” Ginny giggled and Harry rolled his eyes. He still hadn’t asked anyone, but he did have someone in mind. Cho had asked him, but Harry turned her down, remembering last year. “Harry?” Ginny asked in a low voice and Harry glanced at her. “Will you go with me?”

“Where?” Harry asked bemused. “To the dance?” Ginny nodded and Harry grinned widely. “Of course, I was planning on asking you.” Ginny blushed and Harry grinned. What a weird time to be asked to a dance. Then again, after all that’s happen, anything’s possible.

“What’s up with you two?” Ron demanded as he walked over with a box full of food. “The twins snuck it in, not tricked at all.”

Hermione and Ginny shared a quick, knowing glance and instantly they began to giggle. “What’s up with you two?” Ron asked as he dug through his food.

“Nothing,” Hermione said evenly and Harry shrugged at Ron. For the next hour they spent an enjoyable time eating the twins’ food, which was indeed not tricked. They chatted about everything, the fight, the Quidditch final, the finals, the dance (wherein Ron asked who Harry was going with and Harry replied his sister, and that was followed with a series of questions), and then the summer.

“You can come home with us,” Ron said knowingly. “I already asked mum and she said yes.” Ron grinned and Harry did too. This wasn’t turning into such a bad day.

After around an hour or a half, Lupin suddenly limped in. Looking a bit peaky but much more healthy. He looked at the food and smiled.

“You saved me some, right?” He demanded and instantly found his arms full with food. He grinned, sat down on the bed next to Harry’s and looked around.

“So, how are you all?” he demanded.

“Great!” came the replies and Lupin smiled.

“You?” Harry demanded.

“Well, I’ve been stuck in a room with a furious Professor Snape, cursing everything in his path because he isn’t allowed to leave, but other then that I’m good.” Everyone chuckled and Lupin pulled a serious face. “Now, it isn’t funny, Snape’s not pretty when he’s mad.”

“When is he ever pretty?” Ron asked in shock causing more chuckling. Time passed slowly, everyone talking still, with Lupin this time, and it was enjoyable until the Healer came rushing in, and scolded them all for eating outside food that their weak bodies might not be able to hold right now.

Lupin was ushered out and the children shared a rolling-eye look.

Harry fell back in his bed, sound asleep and content.

888

By time Harry was back at Hogwarts, everything was normal. They had a weekend break before anything started up again and life was going back to normal. Though all anyone could talk about that the attack. Harry found prying questions of what happened to him were annoying, but they died down after a while.

Harry never did get around to finding Snape in the crowd, yet every now and then at dinner, Harry would glance up at the Staff Table and see Snape watching him. He would only nod in greeting and Snape would nod back. The trust that had formed in the cave-in was still there, but Snape just couldn’t drop his greasy git act. It wasn’t him.

Though Harry did see a change in Snape’s appearance. He didn’t seem as dark and sullen all the time. Though he was still pale and greasy, he seemed to have lost some of his appearance when he got the dementor traits taken out. Lupin told Harry the reason that Snape looked in pain and was barely breathing was because the potion was painfully striping away at Snape’s body.

That made sense, Harry figured.

Harry was more or less more content now. Yet, he found himself a bit odd. He remembered his boggart being loneliness and boggarts don’t lie. He wondered if he felt lonely. But why? Dumbledore had already assured him that he could go to the Weasleys, so why should he feel lonely. He realized all the people who cared for him when Snape was strangling him...was he wrong?

Harry found himself sitting on the edge of the lake on night, his mind trying to figure out what was going on.

“Nervous, Potter?” A snide voice suddenly asked from behind him. Harry spun around to see Snape standing there.

“Why?” Harry asked bemused.

“You’ve got a Quidditch Final coming up, and an Arithmancy O.W.L. and the rest of your finals.” Snape stated in a tone that asked if Harry had suddenly gone dim.

“Oh, no, not really. Just thinking,” Harry mumbled and he turned back to the lake.

“Here, Mr. Potter,” Snape said and he dropped something into Harry’s lap. Harry picked up and saw that it was his necklace. “I took it off in the cave-in, after you fell asleep. It would only come unhooked for me, if you were wondering why you couldn’t get it off yourself.”

“What do you want me to do with it?” Harry asked wonderingly.

“Well, Miss. Weasley crushed hers with a blasting spell, you can do what you want.” Snape said vaguely.

“Alright,” Harry muttered and he stood up, drew back and threw it at the lake. The giant squid grabbed it in a swipe and crushed it.

“I’m assuming you two didn’t like those?” Snape chuckled. “When I told Dumbledore of them, he found it amusing beyond belief and asked if I ever jolted you when I knew you were asleep. I said no, but the idea had occurred to me.” Harry glanced and saw that Snape was grinning darkly.

“Good thing you didn’t, I think Ginny would’ve hunted you down.” Harry chuckled and he settled back in the rock. A long silence passed between them and Harry found himself thinking back to earlier.

“Do you feel lonely, Mr. Potter?” Snape demanded and Harry jerked.

“H-how did you...?” Harry demanded, turning around to gap.

“It came to my attention that you found Lupin and I in our ward and thought we were dead, right?” Harry nodded slowly, his cheeks flushing a bit. “You’ve just confused yourself, but we’re not dead Potter, nor is anyone else. Come,” Snape ordered and turned around to walk off. Harry followed curiously.

They walked through the school, Snape growling and scowling at any student they met. Many took Harry for being in trouble and shot him sympathetic looks. Finally, the stopped in front of a classroom door on the fourth floor and a second year walked by. Snape growled darkly at him and he more or less took off running.

“Must you scare children?” Harry demanded and Snape turned to him, shocking Harry with a smile.

“Yes,” he said and gestured for Harry to enter. Harry walked in and looked around. Snape swept passed him and before Harry knew had had happen, Snape had thrust upon a cabinet door and out came flying a dementor. Harry reeled backwards in horror and Snape stepped forward.

“You know the boggart charm, I presume?” he demanded.

Harry realizing what it was, suddenly smiled, nodded and raised his wand. “Riddikulus!” he cried and instantly the dementor turned in a blue pig. Snape swept it back into the cabinet.

“See, Potter, you’re not afraid of being lonely anymore. When you saw Lupin and I, and thought we were dead, the feelings that you realized ended up getting confused. You’re a horrible person with emotions, Potter. You were just confused, you’re not alone. Remember that.” And with that Snape swept out of the room.

Harry smiled to himself, Snape was right. He wasn’t alone. Then suddenly a thought struck Harry and he dived forward into the corridor to see Snape just down the hall. “Professor!” Harry called out and Snape turned toward him, his eyebrow raised.

With a wave of his wand, a mirror in the far corner flew over to Snape and stopped before him. Snape growled and looked at Harry. “What’s the meaning of this Potter?”

“See Professor, it didn’t break. You’re healed!” Harry laughed and Snape growled.

“Ten points from Gryffindor for claiming that a mirror would break if it saw my face.” Harry stopped laughing and looked at Snape. He had waved the mirror back to its corner. “And ten points to Gryffindor, for having the nerve to show me that a mirror wouldn’t break without running away in fright.”

“Oh that works, the only time you give points is right after you’ve taken the same amount away.” Harry chuckled and Snape raised an eyebrow.

“Do you want me to take more points away, Mr. Potter?” Snape demanded.

“No!” Harry said and Snape nodded. He turned around. “Thanks, Professor!” Harry called out and Snape just vaguely nod in recognition.

The End.
End Notes:
This isn’t the end, I swear. What do you think? Good? Bad? Thanks for all the reviews, almost 200! That’s a lot, especially for my first long fic. Thanks so much. Please keep reviewing.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1107