Checkmate by Phoenix Sworn
Past Featured StorySummary: Partial AU. With the World turning against him, and everything going horribly wrong, Harry is stuck. He has to keep fighting, but he may have to do it all alone.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 36 Completed: No Word count: 77077 Read: 169095 Published: 29 Jan 2005 Updated: 12 Jun 2006
Chapter Fourteen: Swords by Phoenix Sworn
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own JK Rowling’s world or plotlines. I do own my own plotlines and since this is being written about things JK has not yet published, most of the plotline is mine. However, my brilliant sister inspired the story, and I lovingly thank her for her contribution.

A/N- this one is written a bit strangely(and shortly). The start is in letters, then in a newspaper article, then it will go to a character POV. Hopefully no one will be too confused.

It was remarkable how a simple action had caused such a series of unfortunate events for Harry Potter. The actions compounded on one another, until it was a fact instead of rumor.

-Johann Kettlerson, ‘Political Tragedies and Blunders of Our Time’

Headmaster Dumbledore-

I am writing to ask you to promptly send the sword I removed from the sorting hat in my Second year. As I was able to remove it, a fact which should be substantial enough proof that I am worthy of it, I expect to see it promptly. For reasons of security. I ask that you send it with Fawkes.

-Harry James Potter

*~~~*~~~*

Mr. Potter-

Unfortunately, at this time I am sorry to say that without better proof of your loyalties, I am not comfortable with turning over a magical sword to yourself. In light of the events which recently occurred at the Ministry of Magic, the response to Alastor Moody’s letter, and the account of young Mr. Weasley, I am at this time withdrawing my support for you. I regret to inform you that the members of the Order of the Phoenix have voted and have removed their support as well. Any of your belongings currently at the Weasley’s or at headquarters will be sent to you immediately.

For the moment it has been decided to let you retain your knowledge of the location of the Order’s Headquarters and we can only hope that you will not abuse the information.

Yours Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore,

Headmaster

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,

Order of Merlin First Class,

Leader of the Order of the Phoenix

*~~~*~~~*

SUPPORT FOR HARRY POTTER REMOVED!

Elusive ‘Order of the Phoenix’ Declares Boy-Who-Lived Loyalties Questionable!

After the declaration of the return of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named by the Ministry four days ago, and the removal of their support upon the use of and Unforgivable curse by the boy, today the Order of the Phoenix, run by Albus Dumbledore, has officially removed their support as well, writes Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent.

The Order cited drastic changes in personality, violent acts, and demands for dangerous objects as their reasons.

Even though some members of the Wizarding community, most notably the Longbottom family, have announced that they side with the Boy-Who-Lived, the majority is standing firmly against him.

It seems that Harry Potter has earned a new title, the Boy-Who-Betrayed.

*~~~*~~~*

The figure crept through the corridors of Hogwarts for several long minutes before he reached the Headmaster’s office. Cautiously, he climbed onto a chair from which he was able to scale the bookshelf. At the top was a gleaming silver sword, the hilt encrusted with rubies and the engraved name of its first owner just beneath the hilt.

He reached for it, resisting the instincts that were so deep inside him. Finally, after debating with himself for a few moments, his fingers closed around it, and he jumped down to the ground. With a crack like a whip, he disappeared from the office and reappeared inside a small bedroom.

“Here is Sword, Sir.” He said in a small voice.

The young man that accepted it smirked, “Thank you Dobby. I hope you won’t get in trouble.”

“Dobby is not minding. Dobby helps Harry Potter, sir, but Dobby must go back to Hogwarts sir, before he is being caught.”

“Go, Dobby, and thanks again.”

With another crack Dobby disappeared, and Harry Potter smiled at his careful avoidance of the rules. “Well, Sirius, Dad,” He said quietly to the window, “I hope you're proud. That was almost Marauder-esque, a bit Slytherin, but mostly in your style. Except that I won’t get detention for it.” He laughed softly, thinking of the reaction of the aged Headmaster when he found the Sword missing.

Harry went to bed smiling for the first time in weeks.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=114