The Mistake by relative1983
Summary: Harry never answered his letters, and doesn't appear to live at the Dursleys anymore. Snape is send to investigate. What ever will he find out? and what will he do about it?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 16894 Read: 41067 Published: 23 Jun 2006 Updated: 09 Aug 2006
Chapter 9: Operation by relative1983

Now that the court was over, and the Dursleys convicted, it was time for James to have his operation. The surgeons would make it easier on James by replacing the kneecap as well as several pieces of skin in one big operation, instead of having to do multiple operations. This could be too much for James. Luckily the skin that would need to be replaced was easily reachable during surgery, so they could have some people work on the skin, while others worked on the knee.

After the operation James’ leg would be put in a cast, and the parts of his body that got new skin would be wrapped up in bandages, to prevent infection. James was nervous for the operation, which Severus could completely understand. It was a shame that James didn’t know a thing about the magical world, for if he had, than he would have been transported to St Mungo’s. Now, such a move would probably send the muggles in an uproar, and James into a panick.

Severus had been giving James healing potions, which he had mixed in with James food, so the boy wouldn’t notice. And already he could see that the bruises disappeared faster, and the broken bones healed better. Unfortunately he couldn’t do anything for the kneecap and the burns, since it would be highly suspicious when those suddenly were healing, while they had been classified as ‘unsaivable’. Severus had talked about it with Albus, who had pointed out the fact that Severus would then have to change the medical records, remove memories from doctors, nurses, surgeons, and James himself. Severus didn’t wish to do that, and they settled on the operation. If anything went wrong, Madame Pomfrey had assured them she could fix it later, when James knew about magic.

Right now Severus was petting James’ hand and stroking his hair. James was nearly asleep from the anastaeatics. When he was fully asleep Severus was guided into the waiting room by a nurse. He would have to wait several hours before they could give him anymore news.

After pacing around, drinking lots of coffee (even though it tasted awfull) and glaring at the walls, the door opened.

Severus swirled around, afraid something had gone wrong, as the operation wasn’t even more than an hour underway. He relaxed slightly when he saw it was officer Belton, with someone he didn’t know.

“Mr. Snape? Do you have some time to talk to us?”

Snape nodded, and the two men came in. Severus noticed the unknown man didn’t wear a police uniform, and he wondered what this could be about.

“Mr. Snape this is Mr Franklin from Adoption Services (I don’t know the name of this!)

We are here to handle your request to adopt Harry James Potter.”

Severus looked up surprised. He didn’t think it would actually go this quickly.

“That is a pleasant surprise. Right now James is in surgery, so all I can do is wait. I believe I still have some hours before I can go back to James.”

Benton smiled. “Yes, that is why we came now, as you didn’t seem to want to leave his side all that much.”

Mr Franklin was putting papers on a small table. Severus thought the man had a pleasant face, and by seeing Officer Belton reacting to him in a good way, he decided this couldn’t be so bad. After all, he had all those documents from the muggle world.

“Mr Snape, as you know this case has gotten a lot of attention in the media. That is why there are quite a lot of applications coming in to adopt this young man. However, you were the very first, as well as a clear confidant of Mr Potter. We have several people looking over the other papers, but so far there is only one other serious applicant.”

Severus sat up in shock. What if James went to the other person? How could he take him to the magical world then? Of course, they could still take him, but it wouldn’t work if James couldn’t talk.

“Now Mr Snape do not worry to much. Yesterday I have spoken to the other suplicant, and even though it is not in our policy to do so, she has given me expressive permission to tell you who the other person is. You already know her as Miss Rebecca White?”

Severus sagged slightly in relief. If James were to be placed with Ms White, it would still be alright.

“And what else has she said?” he asked.

“That she feels you would be the perfect person to adopt Mr Potter, as long as she still gets to visit him.”

Severus chuckled softly. “I’d be happy to let her visit him. That is, if I actually become his new guardian. I don’t really know how you make your choice.”

Mr Franklin nodded. “Yes, we see if you have a stable income, a place to stay that is in good condition. Your family life, your history, that sort of things.”

Severus nodded. “In that case, I should point out that I will leave Little Whinging when the Christmas holidays arrive, as I have been offered a job at a boarding school in Schotland. We get a very steady income, and a place to stay as well. James could also attend school there.”

Mr Franklin made some notes. “And what is this school called?”

Severus gave up the adress they used for other muggles. “It’s called Draconis School for the Gifted. It’s a rather small school, so I do not know if you’ve ever heard of it.”

The man looked at him in a calculating way. “As a matter of fact I have heard of it. My niece goes to school there. She finds it a rather enjoyable school, I believe the words she used to describe it were something like: “just magically wonderfull.”

Severus didn’t know if he should feel happy, or if he should make a run for it. The decision was taken out of his hands however, when Mr Franklin continued.

“seeing as how I know the school, and get very detailed (he stressed the word slightly) descriptions of it, I believe I have enough information for now Mr Snape. You will be hearing from us again within the next month, which I believe, is how long Mr Potter needs to stay here?”

Severus nodded.

When Officer Belton had already left the room, Mr Franklin turned around.

“Do tell me Mr Snape, but why weren’t you surprised to find out that James’ name wasn’t really James Evans, but Harry James Potter? Seeing as how that piece of information has been kept from practically everyone? As far as my niece has told me, she has a teacher named Severus Snape, who just happens to have taken a sabatical this year. Quite a coincidence wouldn’t you agree?”

Severus paled, and stood with his eyes wide open.

Then Mr Franklin chuckled. “As I thought. You were sent to find him, weren’t you?”

When Snape nodded, he continued. “I can assure you already, that you are the boys new parent. However, the paper work will take some time, so it’s not official yet. And good luck at Hogwarts.”

With that the man left the room, Severus just standing there, feeling rather outwitted.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1166