Somewhere I Belong by shadowarwen
Past Featured StorySummary: Severus Snape discovers a hidden truth about Harry's home life. And decides to take matters into his own hands. Please review!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Somewhere I Belong
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 48321 Read: 176632 Published: 13 Apr 2003 Updated: 07 Mar 2004
An Unusual Rescue by shadowarwen

He could tell Severus was beyond shocked when he saw a massive Rottweiler standing over him in what appeared to be a protective stance. He didn’t know if he should be worried or relieved. He felt the dog wasn’t a threat to himself, but he very well could be a threat to Severus.

Severus edged into the room very slowly, and cautiously approached them. “Harry, are you alright?” he asked, quietly.

“Yeah.” whispered Harry, using what slack he had in the ropes that were tied painfully around his wrists to continue petting the dog, in an attempt to calm him down. The Rottweiler finally settled down, after realizing that the boy wasn’t frightened of this man. He laid his head back down in the boy’s lap, content with just being petted.

As Severus grew closer, Harry saw a glimpse of anger in his eyes and flinched. He couldn’t possibly fathom what he had done to deserve anger directed at him. ‘Did Severus think this was his fault?’ he asked himself. But then he saw the concern as the more dominant emotion and realized he wasn’t mad at him, but the condition he had found Harry in. He probably didn’t look too good, if the way he felt was any indication.

The older man knelt down in front of the boy, and got his first good look at Harry’s face. There was a large bruise covering the right side of his face, he had a black eye, and there was a line of dry blood coming from the corner of his mouth.

Snape sighed, trying to keep his increasing anger from showing on his face. This kid just never gets a break, he thought. He pulled out a knife from a deep pocket, and went to reach behind the teenager to get at the ropes. The Rottweiler apparently took this as a threat, as he immediately was on his feet again, growling ferociously at the Potions professor.

“Whoa!” yelled Harry, using his voice now, since the dog was now completely out of reach of his still restrained hands. “Calm down, dog! Sit.”

The dog did as it was told and immediately sat back down. “It’s okay, dog, he’s just going to cut the ropes.” he remarked, relief in his voice. The ropes were one of the things really hurting him at the moment. He knew his professor had discovered the shape his wrists were in when he heard a distinct shocked gasp. Followed closely by many swear words. As the ropes were gently removed, he slowly dragged his arms to his front, trying not to touch the damaged flesh. At seeing them himself, he nearly gagged.

Ew.’ he thought, eyeing the raw flesh and blood.

“Let’s take care of that now, your other wounds can wait until we get back home.” said Severus, taking Harry’s abused wrists in his hands. He quickly doused them in a disinfectant, which didn’t even burn, to Harry’s great surprise, and continued to wrap them in a cooling cloth. “There, that should do until I get you back and can properly heal them.” he said.

Harry just nodded in consent. “How did you find me?” he asked, and his eyes widened as he remembered his captor. “Where’s Jeb?” he asked, more worriedly.

“Well, I found you with the help of my cousin.” he answered.

“Del?” asked Harry, only slightly surprised.

“Yes, and she is currently taking care of Corwin.”

“Corwin?” asked Harry.

Snape raised an eyebrow before he remembered Harry had never known the old man’s last name. “Yes, Jeb Corwin is his name. And hopefully we’ll never have to think or speak his name again after this. We’re going to Del’s and then we’re going back to Hogwarts, as soon as you feel up to it.” he stated.

Harry was more than thrilled to know they would be heading to Hogwarts soon. “That’s great.” he said.

“Good, let’s get out of here then, shall we?” he asked, extending a hand.

Harry took the pro-offered hand and was pulled to his feet. He swayed slightly before he felt steadying hands on his shoulders.

“Are you alright?” asked Severus.

“Just a little dizzy.” answered Harry, leaving out the fact that the older man’s hand was directly on top of the painful bruise Jeb had left on his shoulder from his death grip.

“If you’re sure.” he asked.

“Yeah, let’s go.” said Harry, more than happy to get out of this room. Snape gently started to steer the teenager out of the room, when they both heard a yelp coming from the other part of the shack.

“Del!” yelled Severus, pushing Harry back towards the dog. “Stay here.” he demanded, and rushed back into the other room.

*****************

As Snape swung open the door, he was met with a frightening sight. Corwin had Del in front of him, like a shield, with a wand pointed directly at her throat.

“I’m leavin’, and I’m takin’ her with me!” he spat, dragging the woman along towards the exit.

“No!” yelled Severus, going for his wand.

“Don’t ya even do it! Throw yer wand down, or I’ll kill her!’ he yelled, pressing the wand even harder into Deliverance’s throat.

Severus only hesitated for a moment, before realizing he didn’t have a chance. “Alright.” he hissed, throwing his wand down. Jeb quickly cast a summoning charm on the wand, and it flew into his outstretched hand. “Go in the other room!” he ordered, pointing with Snape’s own wand at the door.

Severus gave Del an anguished look, and she returned it with a comforting one. ‘Go.’ she mouthed. ‘Protect him.’

He shot Jeb a death glare, before backing into the room. The door slammed in front of him, and locked.

“Damn it!” he yelled, throwing his weight into the door. “Shit!” he muttered, more angry than anything for being so stupid.

“Professor?” came a questioning voice from behind.

“What?” he yelled, frustration taking over. He turned around and immediately softened at the look on the boy’s face. He had scared him. ‘Way to go, you dumb ass.’ he internally scolded himself.

“What happened?” asked Harry. “And where’s Del?” as this came out more as a demand than a question, Severus gave him an amused look, which quickly turned to worry.

“He took her, and we’re locked in this room.” he said.

“What?!” he yelled, clearly not liking this turn of events. “We’ve got to get out of here!”

“Calm down.” said Severus, testing the door’s limits. It was a fairly strong door, and he didn’t think breaking it down was going to be an option. “We’ll get out…somehow.” He just had to figure that part out.

“Hey kid, Corwin didn’t use any other way to get in or out of here, by chance, did he?” asked Severus, but didn’t think there would be any real chance he had.

Harry took a minute to think, but realized he hadn’t. “No, the only time he came in was through that door.” he said. “And he left the same way, well, I guess he did.” he said, mumbling the last part. He had been slightly unconscious when Jeb had left the room.

“What do you mean, ‘you guess?’” asked Snape, pacing the floor.

Harry blanched at this; he hadn’t meant to be overheard. “I...I…um...well,” he sputtered, not sure how to answer the question without further angering his teacher.

“Spit it out, Harry.” he said, focusing his attention on the boy now.

‘You’re gonna be angry.’ he thought. “Well…you know, he um…knocked me out.” There, he had said it. That hadn’t been too bad.

Snape had a sudden urge to hug the boy. ‘Whoa, now where did that come from?’ he asked himself, shocked. Instead, he placed a hand on the boy’s head, ruffling the already messy hair. “So, I can assume your unconsciousness came from this.” he asked, motioning to the large bruise covering Harry’s cheek.

“Well, kind of.” said Harry, who found this conversation entirely too embarrassing. “I passed out after my head hit the pole, which was the result of him hitting me.” he said, and then tried a diversion tactic. “So, how are we getting out of here?”

Snape gave him a lingering look. “I’m not too sure.” he said. Harry nearly sighed with relief, but held it in. The diversion had worked.

Harry stood there, contemplating ways to escape, when he noticed the dog was scratching at the wall. ‘That’s strange.’ he thought.

“Professor, look.” he said, pointing at the dog. Severus turned and looked towards the dog.

“What is he doing?” he asked, not really expecting an answer. He cautiously approached the dog, as he wasn’t too sure it would be friendly towards him, and crouched down beside it. He knocked on the wooden panels, and wasn’t disappointed when he heard a hollowed out area. “There’s something here.” he stated, and began pulling the panels from the wall. He finally revealed a small tunnel.

“There’s an opening, I can see some light.” he told Harry, scooting over for the boy to look himself.

“I see it.” said Harry. “Are we going then?”

Severus considered the passage way before turning to Harry again. “Are you sure? It’s kind of a tight fit.” he said.

Harry once again looked at the tunnel, before deciding he’d rather suffer a minor panic attack than stay in this room one more minute. “Let’s go.” Besides, he could handle it. He’d just have to crawl fast.

“Okay.” remarked Severus, not truly believing the boy, but feeling he needed out just as much as he did. They entered the tunnel, making quick work of it, not wanting to stay in there too long, for obvious reasons. The dog followed after them complacently. When they saw the light, they realized they’d have to climb upwards to get out, without anything to hang onto.

“This could prove interesting.” said Snape. As Harry was in front of him, he slightly lifted the boy and gave him a boost. “Just use the roots and dirt, I guess, to pull yourself out.” he added.

He waited to make sure the boy had purchase on the roots, before starting to climb himself, digging his feet into the dirt and making little holes to help himself climb.

“You doing alright, there?” he asked Harry.

“Yeah.” Severus noticed the teenager’s voice was shaky, and tried to look up through the shadow the boy was creating. He could tell the kid wasn’t going to last much longer without panicking. “Hang on, Harry, we’re almost out now.” he said, trying to sound encouraging.

“Uh huh.” answered Harry, and quickened his pace, desperate now to get out. In his haste, however, he missed the root he had been trying to grab, and lost his footing. He started to slip, and frantically scrambled for something to hold onto. He let out a startled scream as he fell. Harry didn’t know what he had expected, but Severus actually catching him hadn’t been one of them. He was therefore extremely surprised when his professor managed to actually catch him, without falling too much himself. The dog beneath them yelped.

Harry’s breathing was erratic, and Severus could tell he was panicking. Levering himself by using his feet to dig into the ground, he quickly turned the boy around, thanking God that the boy was extremely small for his age.

“Harry!” he yelled, getting the frightened teenager’s attention. “You have to hold onto me! Do you understand?” he asked, trying to be stern and somewhat gentle at the same time. Instead of getting an answer, the boy immediately wrapped his arms around Severus neck and his legs around the older man’s waist, clinging to him as if his life depended on it.

Snape wasted no time and hastened his pace, climbing as quickly as he could, not wanting the teenager to go into a full fledge panic attack. He was more than relieved when his hands actually touched grass, and he easily pulled himself and his burden out of the hole. The potions professor tried to put Harry down, but the boy wasn’t cooperating.

“Harry, we have to go. Please, let me put you down.” he said, trying to pry the boy’s face away from him, so he could make eye contact. But he refused to let go. Snape sighed in exasperation. He let his arms fall to his sides, and yet the boy still clung to him. Snape looked around himself, clearly not knowing what to do in this situation. “Harry!” he finally yelled, and the boy instantly came alive, jumping down from the man’s arms. However, he still wasn’t completely calm, as Snape could plainly see. Taking the boys face into his large hands, he garnered eye contact.

“You’re fine.” he stated. “Look around you; you’re in an open area. You’re okay, and we need to go now. Do you understand what I’m saying to you?” he asked. Snape noticed out of the corner of his eye that the Rottweiler had somehow managed to get out of the hole all on it’s own. He didn’t have the time to wonder on that fact, however.

Harry merely nodded, blinking as comprehension settled in. He then remembered that Snape had just been carrying him, and he blushed crimson. “God, this is embarrassing.” he mumbled to himself.

Severus wisely remained quiet and started walking, letting Harry follow when he was ready. He knew the kid was embarrassed at how he had reacted. After an annoyingly awkward silence, Harry finally spoke.

“Where are we going?” he finally asked, running a bit to catch up. “Do you know where he took her?”

“Well, not really.” stated his Professor. “But I’m hoping these footprints will kind of lead the way.” he said, sarcasm lacing his words involuntarily, and pointing to the ground.

Harry looked down and noticed for the first time that there were prints left behind in the mud and the still melting snow. “Oh.” said Harry, trying not to look too sheepish.

Snape just smirked and continued on his way. He had a purpose, and that was all he was focusing on. Finding his cousin.

“Hey! Come back!” yelled Harry. Snape turned around, curious as to why the boy was yelling. He was therefore not all that surprised at seeing the Rottweiler running in the opposite direction they were going in.

“Harry, it’s a wild dog, let it go.” he said.

“But…” said Harry, although he didn’t really know what to say. He was mildly disappointed that the dog was leaving him, he’d grown attached to him in the short time they had spent together. But they didn’t have the time to go chase him down, either. “Alright.” he finally said.

No more words were spoken as they continued on their way, stopping every now and again to find the footprints when he lost them, but then moving on. The sun had come out full force, and the fact that Harry hadn’t eaten in quite a while was catching up to him. His stomach growled loudly, but he intentionally stepped on an old branch at the same time to hopefully cover the sound. It did, for Snape kept walking, never looking back. The quick pace they were keeping was making the teenager tired, and he continually found himself having to up his pace to a jog to keep up with the other man. A nice comfortable bed with massive pillows was calling to him, but unfortunately, that wouldn’t be an option until they got back to Del’s. And they hadn’t even found Del yet.

Thinking of Del made him remember who exactly she was with, and a surge of fear flowed through him. What if he treated Del the same way he had him? But the more he thought of it, the more he thought of Del beating Jeb up, which brought a smile to his face. But Corwin had a wand, and Severus’ cousin didn’t. What if he did hurt her? He didn’t like the morbid thoughts that were coming to mind. They had to find her, and fast. He looked up when he noticed Severus had stopped walking and was looking wildly around at the muddy ground.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, dread filling him.

“I’ve lost the damn tracks!” he yelled. “They’ve just stopped. The bastard must have grown a brain and started wiping them out.” The professor’s anger was palpable, and Harry took an involuntary step backwards. “Shit.” he yelled again.

“Professor, you have to calm down now, there’s got to be something we can do.” said Harry, throwing caution to the wind, for talking like this to his teacher could be deadly. But Snape only looked at him.

Severus took a deep breath to calm his nerves. “You’re right. Just let me think for a moment.”

Harry remained quiet, waiting for him to make some kind of decision on what to do. He desperately wished there was something he could do to help. But what help he could be he didn’t know. And then, bam, he remembered.

“Oh!” he yelled, breaking Severus from his thoughts.

“What are you on about?” he asked, irritated. Harry ignored Severus and closed his eyes, trying to concentrate. “Harry, are you okay?” he asked, minimally concerned, but confused more than anything. Harry waved his hand in Severus’ face.

“Shh.” said Harry, before switching languages. *Aeden.* he hissed, and opened his eyes, looking around expectantly. He saw the confusion in Snape’s eyes. “I’m calling for Aeden. He told me to if I needed him. I think this constitutes as an ‘I need him’ situation.

Severus raised an eyebrow. He was impressed. He hadn’t realized the teenager had that particular ability. “Are you and the snake telepathic then?” he asked, curious.

“Yes. He explained it to me…I think he’s here.” he finished, pointing a few feet away where a large black snake was slithering towards them.

*You called?* asked Aeden. *Were you able to dispose of the Orb?*

*Yes. Thank you. But I was wondering if you could help me find my friend Del. She’s been taken by the guide who brought us up here, because he’s friggin’ insane.* told Harry.

*Well then, that’s good news indeed, except the abduction.* added Aeden, noticing the dirty look he had been about to receive from the boy.

*Yeah, but we really need your help. We don’t know where he took her, and I was wondering if you could help us out.* asked Harry.

Aeden slithered closer to the boy, and reared his head up so they were eye level. *I will help you in any way I can. Give me a moment, and I’ll have a direction for you to take, dear boy.*

Harry was beyond grateful for Aeden’s help, as Severus and himself had been getting nowhere, fast. He watched quietly as the large snake seemed to test the air with his tongue, slithering every which direction, before coming back to Harry. *I’ve discerned the scent, I know where they’ve gone.* hissed the snake. Harry’s eyes widened. That was fast, he thought.

*Where?* he asked, wanting to leave straight away.

*They’ve gone north, towards the other side of the island. You’d do well to be careful, child. I and my kind sense a danger there; we do not trespass on that part of land. It is dangerous. Heed my warning.* he warned, once again making eye contact with the boy.

Harry didn’t think this news was very encouraging. What else could go wrong on this damn trip? Don’t go there, he told himself. *Thank you for your help, Aeden, we really appreciate it.*

Aeden bowed his head elegantly. *I’m sure.* he hissed, eyeing Severus with contempt.

*He’s a good man.* defended Harry. *Why do you dislike him?*

*No reason really, but there’s something about him that doesn’t feel right.* advised the snake.

Harry thought he might have an idea on what it was exactly the snake was picking up on. *Don’t worry, you’re right, in a way, but you’re wrong as well. He’s not evil, he spies on it.* Aeden seemed to understand immediately what he was being told.

*That is good to hear, little one. But watch yourself nonetheless.* hissed Aeden.

Harry merely shrugged. *I will.*

*I must go now.* said the black snake, and started to slither away, before turning his head back. *Child, be cautious on the other side of the island. I fear I won’t be able to help you there.* he added, and then disappeared into the forest.

“Great.” moaned Harry, putting a hand to his forehead.

“What’s wrong?” asked Severus, worry clearly in his voice, as he laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“Nothing really, it’s just that this whole thing keeps getting more and more complicated.” he said.

“Was the snake able to help you?” Snape was worried that Aeden hadn’t been able to help them, since he had left so abruptly.

“Yes, I know where they went, but Aeden says there’s another danger there, something worse than Jeb could ever be. I’m imagining a monster, here, professor.” said Harry.

The Potions professor raised an eyebrow. “A little dramatic, aren’t we?”

“No, not really.” answered Harry, starting to get annoyed. “I believe the snake when he tells me there’s something dangerous over there, something he’s so scared of he doesn’t dare go to that side of the island. If you don’t want to believe me then fine, but we’re wasting time standing here, we should go and find Del.”

And with that said, Harry stalked off, leaving his professor staring after him. Severus finally shook himself out of his reverie and followed after the boy, wondering where that moment of daring had come from.

“Harry, I didn’t mean anything by it, you know.” he said, trying to placate the boy. Harry nodded his head to let the older man know he heard him, but didn’t stop his hurried pace.

“Well, what did Aeden say?” he finally asked.

Harry sighed. “Um…he said that they were heading north, probably trying to lose us by going over to the creepy side, if you were to ask me.”

“You’re probably right. Did your friend tell you anything about whatever it is we’re going to be facing?” he asked. “You know, neither of us has our wands.” he stated.

Harry turned about quickly at that. “What do you mean you don’t have your wand?” he asked, incredulously.

“He took it, Harry. Did you think I would have had us crawl through that tunnel if I didn’t have my wand?” he said.

Harry honestly hadn’t thought about it. He’d been more worried about getting out, that he hadn’t really wondered on why Snape wasn’t just using his wand.

“Oh, well…where’s mine?” he suddenly wondered.

“I’m not entirely sure I know. If it’s in any of your belongings, I left it at Del’s place. Do you remember where you last put it?” he asked.

“Not really. I would have put it in my cloak, it’s where I had been hiding my important items.” he said.

“Why were you hiding your things?” asked Snape.

“From Jeb. He kept trying to steal my money sack.”

“Really.” it was a statement, not a question. Severus was plain sick of the guide. He took the bag off of his shoulder that he’d brought with him, and pulled out Harry’s cloak. “I thought you might need this, so I brought it.”

Harry couldn’t believe his luck. He took the cloak from Severus and opened the seam where he hid his stuff. And pulled out his wand. “Thank goodness.” he said. He could tell Severus was relieved as well.

“At least we have a wand.” he said.

Harry could more than agree with him. They headed off again, and were soon entering a part of the woods that reminded Harry distinctly of some kind of horror movie. The sun didn’t seem to want to shine here, even though it was only in the afternoon, and it felt as if all the trees were reaching out to grab him. There was still quite a lot of snow in this area of the forest, as the sun hadn’t been able to reach it to melt it. Harry was now very grateful he had his cloak, and he wrapped it tightly about himself. With his wand stuck back in his pocket, they trekked on.

“I have the feeling we’re getting closer.” remarked Severus.

Harry just looked at his curiously. “How can you tell?”

“I just always have been able to tell when someone else is around. And believe me, it comes in handy when students are out after curfew, trying to sneak around.” he said suddenly. And Harry laughed. Severus cracked a grin.

“Keep your guard up, someone’s coming.” he said. Harry stopped laughing abruptly, listening hard. And then he heard it, the sound of crunching snow. He cautiously peeked around a tree. His eyes grew wide at what he saw.

At Harry’s reaction, Severus too looked out from behind a tree, and had to contain himself.

“I see you’re perfectly capable of protecting yourself.” he stated.

“Of course, what did you expect? I wasn’t about to wait around for you to come save me.” said Del, haughtily.

Severus glared. “Shut up, woman.” he said, but jokingly.

Jeb tried to say something, but it came out mumbled as he had a piece of Del’s dress wrapped firmly around his mouth. Deliverance had ripped up her dress, and used it to hogtie the man. She had then had him levitating behind her. Harry couldn’t keep it in anymore, and started laughing at the scene. Jeb glared evilly at him. Harry didn’t stop.

“I take it your alright, though?” he asked.

“Yes, cousin, I am fine.” she answered. “Oh, and here’s your wand.” she said, and handed it to him. As soon as the wands had switched hands, Jeb fell the two feet back to the ground, hard. Harry snickered. “It came in handy. It’s been so long since I used magic, I almost forgot how.”

“I’m glad your safe.” said Harry.

Deliverance turned around and gasped at the boy’s face. “Oh, you poor dear. Are you alright?” she asked, discarding the boy’s worry for her. She gently grasped his face between her hands and tried to keep the tears from falling. She pulled him into a hug, and glared for all she was worth at the man still hogtied on the ground. Jeb recoiled. That woman could be a real bitch when she wanted to be. As he knew all too well now.

“Let’s get out of here, Del, you can take care of him all you want when we get him home.” he said. He ruffled the boy’s hair again, before moving over to Jeb. He untied the man’s feet. “You’re walking. I’m not exerting the energy it will take to levitate you.” he hissed. “And you thought she was bad.” he added, motioning to his cousin. “I’m much worse.” This was emphasized with a swift kick to the stomach. “Now get up.”

*************

Jeb struggled to his feet, and allowed himself to be led. No need to start causing a scene yet. He had been pulling at his bonds since the woman had tied him up. They were almost off, just a little more and he’d be free. He had been ecstatic when the man had untied his feet. It only made things easier. He’d be free soon enough, and then were they ever in for it.

He watched as the boy kept looking back at him. He wanted nothing more than to wipe that smile off his face. He’d do it too, just as soon as his hands were free. Not much longer now. And little more wriggling, and finally the strands of fabric came loose, and he slipped his hands from them. He knew he didn’t have much of a chance at fighting the older two, and he knew he should just make a run for it. But he couldn’t forget how the little brat had laughed at him. If he hadn’t done that, he’d probably have been able to walk away, but no. He had to teach him a lesson. He continued walking, holding the fabric in his hands, so it appeared he was still tied up. He had to show the brat who was in control.

The afternoon had quickly left them, and now nightfall was settling in. He really didn’t want to be in these woods after dark, but it was hard to tell when it was daytime in these particular woods anyways. But when night fell, he knew that was when whatever lurked in the forest came out. He had heard many tales from some friends, but they had all been different. He didn’t know what was true and what wasn’t. Some said it lived in the trees, others said it lived underground. Many described it as a shadow with no form, and this was something he didn’t want to meet tonight. So, gathering his courage, he let the fabric drop to the ground.

Swiftly, before anyone could stop him, he just had to do it, pushing the man walking beside him, Jeb tackled the boy.

**************

Harry was walking beside Deliverance. He was glad she was alright, he had worried about what Corwin might do to her. But he needn’t have worried. He had jokingly thought Del would beat him up instead of the other way around. It was comforting to know he had been right. He looked back every once in a while, just to be glared at by the older man. Severus, who was walking beside Jeb, would give him encouraging smiles, which he would return.

He walked along quietly, enjoying the silence, when he suddenly tensed up. He didn’t know why until he was tackled from behind. Someone took his upper arm, which was already bruised, and used it solely to flip him over. He cried out, coming face to face with Jeb. And then he was viciously backhanded, bringing tears to his eyes.

“No one laughs at me!” spat Jeb. Harry tried to scream, but Jeb’s hands had found their way around his neck, and he suddenly couldn’t get any air. Jeb smiled at the fear he could see in the boy’s eyes, and squeezed tighter.

**************

Severus, caught of guard, was pushed onto the forest floor. He tried to get up, but found he was tangled up in some vines. He grabbed his wand, to undo them, when he heard Harry cry out. He fought harder with the vines, as he saw that bastard backhand Harry. He used his wand, eviscerating the vines, and ran for the man hurting his boy. He saw red when he realized Corwin was strangling him.

Without further thought, he cast a curse at the man, which sent him flying into a tree with a sickening crack. Severus could care less, and rushed to Harry’s side. Wrapping his arms around the teenager, he helped him into a sitting position. “Breathe.” he instructed, rubbing his back. Harry took in shuddering breaths, coughing in between, and trying hard to keep the tears from falling.

“You can cry. Someone tried to kill you, believe me, it’s allowed.” said Severus, who could see the internal struggle he was battling with.

Harry let out a strangled laugh before he did cry. And Severus held him.

“Where’s Del?” asked Harry when the tears had subsided. He thought she had gotten knocked over when Jeb had tackled him, and was growing worried.

Severus looked over and saw that she was having the same problem he had had; only she lacked a wand to assist. Severus eviscerated these vines as well, and she quickly got up. For a woman going on four hundred or something years of age, she sure could move fast, and wrapped Harry in a hug.

“It’s okay.” she said, wiping away the tears. Severus took this opportunity to check on Jeb, who hadn’t moved since he was thrown into the tree. He knelt down in front of him, and could tell the man was dead. He was leaning against the tree, with a sharp branch impaling him through the heart. At least he didn’t have to worry about this guy anymore. He noticed the silence, and looked over.

“Is he dead?” asked Harry.

“Yes.” he answered.

Harry couldn’t bring himself to feel bad.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1168