Somewhere I Belong by shadowarwen
Past Featured StorySummary: Severus Snape discovers a hidden truth about Harry's home life. And decides to take matters into his own hands. Please review!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Somewhere I Belong
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 48321 Read: 176630 Published: 13 Apr 2003 Updated: 07 Mar 2004
Fear by shadowarwen

The wind whipped viciously around them, and the rain he had hoped would hold off for only a few more moments, pelted into them. The woman beside him turned her brisk walk into a sprint, motioning him to do the same. He was more than willing to oblige, and taking Zane by the newly applied collar, rushed to keep up with her. He only hoped this wasn’t a foreshadowing of his day to come.

They skidded to a halt once they were safely inside the Hogwarts platform, dripping wet and already exhausted. Professor McGonagall brushed a strand of hair that had become plastered to her head behind her ear. She eyed the wet dog disdainfully.

“Will you be taking the dog with you, Potter?” she asked.

Harry grasped the collar he still held tighter. He didn’t even have to think about the question, he knew immediately what kind of response he would be getting the second his dastardly relatives saw Zane. Vernon would kill him. “No, I don’t think that would be the greatest idea.” he said, still clutching the collar. “Could he stay at Hogwarts? I’m sure Hagrid wouldn’t mind if he kept Fang company.” he asked. Hagrid would be more than happy if he came home only to find another animal he could latch onto.

“I don’t see why not.” said McGonagall. “I’ll contact your Uncle for you, so he can be waiting for you when you arrive.”

Harry didn’t think his Uncle would be waiting patiently for him when he arrived. More like two hours later, just to annoy him. “Thank you, Professor. When will you be able to bring my things?” he wondered.

The Transfiguration Professor quickly pulled another errant strand of hair behind her ear before replying. “Probably tomorrow. I’ll talk to Professor Snape as soon as he arrives at the school.” A loud whistle rang throughout the platform. “That’s you, Potter, better hurry now or you’ll miss the train.” she said, scooting him in the right direction.

Harry quickly jumped onto the train as it was pulling out. As he turned back around, he watched as Professor McGonagall and Zane got further and further away, until they were merely dots in the horizon.

The train, he discovered, was practically empty, with only a few passengers here and there as he passed the compartments. Sliding into an empty one, he collapsed onto the large seat. He desperately wished he still had Zane for some company, but didn’t wish the treatment he’d receive from his Uncle on anyone, let alone his dog. His earlier run in the rain had left him drained, but his constant worries of going home kept him from sleep.

He couldn’t help but wonder if Snape knew what was going on. He couldn’t fathom why the older man would let him go back home after he had promised him he’d never have to return. Harry distractedly pulled at a loose thread on his overly large shirt, a Dudley hand-me-down. If his Professor didn’t know, he figured he’d figure it out soon enough and come after him. But, if he did know, he wouldn’t be returning to school for almost a month. A cold chill ran down his spine at what his Uncle could do to him in a month. He was immediately consumed with visions of the cupboard under the stairs, and quickly stood up to shake the thoughts.

“Get a grip, Potter.” he told himself. “He’ll come.”

He tried to reassure himself as he slowly sat his tired, aching body back down on the seat. He desperately wanted to sleep, and maneuvered himself until he was in a tight ball. He was asleep before his head hit his rolled up cloak for a pillow.

****

Lightning flashed dangerously close to his open window, illuminating the shadowy room. Vernon Dursley jumped nearly a foot off of his chair. “Damn storm.” he hissed, and settled back down. He pushed the button on the armrest, sending the chair backwards and into a reclining position. An hour ago the electricity had gone out, forcing them to revert to lighting candles all over the house in order to see. It was only mid-afternoon, but it was still as dark as night outside.

Vernon looked up in hope as the lights flickered once, twice, and then died once again. His muttered curses could be heard all the way upstairs.

“Vernon, dear, we’re going to need some more candles. Would you mind getting them for me?” came a loud, screeching voice from upstairs.

Vernon shrugged. Why not, he didn’t have anything important to do, like watch television. “Just a moment, Petunia.” he called. He assumed she had heard him even though there was no reply. He had to drag himself out of the chair, his rather large frame making it more difficult. Upon entering the kitchen, where there was a drawer full of candles for such an occasion as this, he heard an unidentifiable sound. He pulled open the nearest drawer and groped for a weapon of some sort. He pulled out an egg whisk. That would have to do.

He looked all around the darkened room, trying to discern where the noise was coming from, when a frightening furry, large eyed ‘thing’ appeared in front of him. He screamed, (and would later recall he sounded distressingly similar to a girl), and dropped the egg whisk to the floor.

“Vernon!” Petunia shrieked from somewhere above him. “What is it? What’s going on!?” he noticed she was hysterical from his lack of response.

He found himself groping blindly once again for the candle which he knew was just mere inches away on the counter. He grabbed it, nearly burning himself in his haste, and swung it around wildly. Vernon finally spotted the animal that had dared to enter his home.

“Son of a bitch.” he hissed. He grabbed the Owl by its legs and lifted it into the air, ignoring its squawks of fear. He ripped the letter from the bird’s leg before throwing it back out the window. Skimming the letter, his face quickly turned from pale to a bright shade of red. His nephew would be returning home tonight. “It’s time for that brat to learn some lessons.” he spat, turning on his heel and leaving the house.

****

Harry was startled from his sleep by the sound of screeching tires. He dimly realized they were stopping. His eyes widened as he absorbed the fact he was in London, where his Uncle was supposedly waiting for him. He clumsily climbed to his feet, and made a feeble attempt at straightening his clothes before exiting the train.

He took his precious time walking towards the barrier and even went so far as to wish he’d somehow get magically transported somewhere, anywhere but here as he passed through. No such luck. Harry tentatively searched the area around him, but saw no sign of his Uncle. He never thought he’d be so happy that his Uncle hadn’t arrived on time. His summer so far had left him far from brave, and even though Jeb scared him more than his Uncle ever had, his instincts told him things would be much worse this time around.

His Uncle would be undoubtedly upset over the way he had been whisked away at the beginning of summer. Another quick scan of the station and he finally spotted the overly large man. His heart seemed to do a summersault right there in his chest before pumping wildly. He wouldn’t have been surprised if it had burst right out of him. Vernon looked pissed.

Harry took an involuntary step backwards and right into a solid wall. Where’s a damn magical barrier when you need it! he thought.

The man was on him before he could blink, and with a tight pressure on his upper arm, right where his bruises still remained, he was pulled from the crowded station and into the practically deserted parking area. Harry was breathing hard, trying to keep from crying out from the pain.

He watched from a skewed perspective as the back door was torn open and he was roughly pushed inside. He continued to watch as Vernon walked around the car and quickly got inside. The glare he was subjected to courtesy of the rearview mirror sent a completely different kind of chill up his spine. Jeb’s frightening leer would have been a welcome change to the deadly glare he was receiving from his Uncle.

Harry practically molded himself into the car seat, sinking as far away from the glare as possible. It was going to be a long, rough month.

****

The sound of someone banging on his window brought Snape from his comfortable doze. “What the hell.” he thought, pushing the blankets from his body and sitting up in bed. He listened for a moment, trying to figure out what was going on when he realized it had been the rain, not a person banging on his window.

He groaned loudly. He hated this kind of weather, and was surprised to notice that the next thought that entered his mind was Harry did too. He hoped the teenager was fairing well in the Infirmary. His body finally replaced of its much needed sleep, he didn’t have any more reason to remain. He drug himself from the warm blankets and quickly got ready to leave. It took him less than ten minutes to grab a quick shower and place a freshening charm on his clothing. With that finished, he headed out of the guest bedroom and into the kitchen.

He wasn’t surprised to see the Headmaster sitting at the table, sipping a strong cup of coffee. He could smell it from the doorway.

“Coffee, Albus?” he asked, slightly amused.

Albus smiled around his coffee cup before taking another sip and placing it on the table. “Yes, Margery insisted I try it. She added some kind of powdery substance to it, called French Vanilla. It’s rather tasty.” he remarked, taking another sip.

“I’m sure.” Severus agreed, distrustfully. “I’d better get back to the castle before Harry thinks I deserted him.” he said. He didn’t know how close to the truth he really was.

“I assumed you would, and I have something for you.” Severus watched as the old man pushed a stack of papers across the table. “I believe you’ll be needing these.”

Snape leaned over the kitchen chair to grab the papers. Just by looking at the topmost piece he knew what they were. “Adoption papers…?” he asked, uncertainly. He knew he wanted to boy with him, but to officially adopt him…would Harry even agree to such a thing?

“I thought I’d go ahead and draw them up, just in case.” he said casually. “They won’t be official until you and Harry sign them. Somewhere in there are the official papers designating you as Harry’s legal guardian. The adoption papers were just an idea on my part.”

Severus eyed the man doubtfully. “We’ll see.” he finally said. “But, I must get going.”

Albus only nodded his head. “Good luck.” he whispered, but Severus was already gone.

****

The school was still seemingly deserted when he returned. He wanted to look over the papers before speaking with Harry on them, and plus, he wanted to hide the adoption papers until he was ready to deal with them. He didn’t want Harry to see them and throw a fit. He was sure the boy wouldn’t want his greasy git of a Potion’s Master to adopt him anyways. He couldn’t be sure, though.

He quickly deposited the papers in a secret drawer of his desk. One could only get into it with three different passwords, all spoken in different and unknown languages, plus, one had to have Snape’s hand. It would be more of a hassle to break into his desk than anything else.

He read the papers which declared him Legal Guardian of Harry Potter and nodded in approval. With the papers in hand, he quickly made his way to the Infirmary, intent on discussing this matter with the boy. Upon entering, he was surprised to see neither Harry nor Madame Pomfrey anywhere in the Infirmary.

“Pomfrey!” he called out, expecting an answer. None were forthcoming. He rolled his eyes in exasperation. “Confounded woman.” he muttered. He left the hospital, intent on finding the boy and giving him what for. He should have known better than to leave the Infirmary.

After ten minutes of searching, he began to grow worried. “Where the hell could he have gone? And where the hell is Pomfrey?” he asked himself menacingly.

“Watch your language, Severus.” said a sharp female voice. “And for your information, Poppy had to go down to the village. Olivia Dunegood is having her baby. Poppy was the closest Medi-witch available.”

Snape eyed the woman in annoyance. He couldn’t believe she had just tried to scold him as if he was a student still. “Wonderful.” he said, scathingly. “But where’s Potter?” he asked, growing more and more annoyed with the boy. He never should have left the Infirmary.

“I sent him home. What were you thinking leaving him here to his own devices?” she asked, but took a step back at the look Severus was sending her. If looks could kill…

“What…?” he asked, uncomprehending the stupidity of the woman before him. “What was I thinking!?” he roared. “What the hell were you thinking!?”

Minerva took another step backwards. “Severus, it isn’t safe for him here, you know that!” she yelled, getting flustered herself.

“He’s safer here than he is there!” he yelled, infuriated. “Damnit, I don’t have time for this…”he muttered. “what were you thinking!” He still couldn’t wrap his head around the idea that McGonagall, of all people, would send him home.

“Severus, what is going on?” she asked, but feared she already knew. “Shit.” she said, surprising herself and Snape. “I know they’re the worst kind of Muggles, please don’t tell me they’re abusive.” she asked, already wishing she had gone with her heart and let the boy stay.

“They’re abusive.” he stated, flatly. “You coming with me?” he asked, as he noticed her stride had become as determined as his, and they were already halfway to the apparation point.

“Hell yes.”

****

Harry knew they had arrived home as soon as they turned into the driveway. He was hunkered down in his seat, keeping as far away from Vernon as he could. He wouldn’t have been surprised if he had sent a fist his way. But none had come so far. That didn’t mean things wouldn’t change once they entered the house.

Harry was literally pulled from his musings as his Uncle grabbed his bruised upper arm and dragged him from the car and into the house. It was still raining, and they were both absolutely soaked by the time they got inside. He knew Vernon had figured out his arms were hurt, as he kept repeatedly squeezing them, making him cry out.

“Stop it!” he yelled, and yanked his arms from his Uncle’s tight grip. He rubbed the extremely sore spots, while backing away from Vernon. Harry watched the man warily. He wasn’t doing anything except staring at him hatefully. The light was still very dim, as there was only one candle lighting the entryway, but the shadows seemed to extend the frightening features of his Uncle’s face.

Harry watched with wide eyes as his Uncle slowly opened the cupboard door. His Uncle turned back to him, and he couldn’t understand why he looked so…distraught. “You’ve brought this on yourself.” he said.

He took another step away from his crazed Uncle. “You’re nuts.” he declared and made to go for the door. But a large hand grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back.

“Get in there!” Vernon yelled, pulling Harry towards the cupboard.

“NO!” Harry screamed, lashing out, trying desperately to either kick or hit the crazed man holding him. He continued to scream as he dragged his feet, not willing to go in that damn cupboard. “No, no…please!” he screamed again, and threw his head back with all his might, nailing his Uncle in the head. He hoped he’d broken his nose.

But the man only tightened his hold as they drew ever closer to the opened door. He was sobbing and screaming all at the same time now, and still fighting with all he had. But it was of no use, Vernon was much stronger than he was. His screaming intensified until his Uncle twisted him around and backhanded him so hard he was thrown into the cupboard.

He felt his Uncle kick his legs into the storage area, and then slam the door. Harry could feel the hysteria closing in on him. He couldn’t stand the closed in area, it was so small! He kicked the door, as tears streamed down his face. Unable to stand it any longer, he curled into a ball in the corner. Shaking uncontrollably, he started to sing to himself. You are my Sunshine was the first song that popped into his head, so he sang it. But, he still couldn’t shake this feeling. He wanted out so badly.

He threw his hands over his head when Uncle Vernon slammed his beefy hand against the door.

“Shut up!” sounded through the small door, and he started crying even harder. He’d never been so scared in all his life. This was somehow different from all the other times his Uncle had shoved him in here. He wanted Severus, and he wanted him right then. He rocked himself back and forth in the tiny space, crying uncontrollably.

He was too far gone to notice the door slamming open, or the arguing voices coming right outside the door. However, the second he felt someone touch his shoulder, he panicked.

Harry kicked out without thought, only knowing he had to get away from his Uncle. When the hands started to hold him down, he grew even more hysterical, screaming. Tears still poured from his eyes, blurring his vision. “No!” he yelled repeatedly, practically clawing at the hands that held him.

He felt someone grab his legs and he was suddenly pulled from the cupboard and out into the hallway. He was conscious of the fact that it was easier to breathe and he found himself calming down slightly. He was startled from his musings as hands gently took his face and turned it marginally upwards. He looked into deep black eyes, filled with concern. Severus.

He was too exhausted to do more than stare at the man leaning over him. Severus was rubbing his temples with his thumbs in a soothing gesture, also causing him to continually close his eyes. He was so tired. He closed his eyes one last time and knew no more.

****

Severus and Minerva found themselves a few streets away from the Dursley’s and immediately headed in that direction. It didn’t help matters that the weather seemed to be worse here than it had been at Hogwarts. It had dwindled down to a steady drizzle, whereas here, it was still pelting them like bullets. As they walked up the sidewalk to the Dursley’s front door, the two of them were able to make out a noise that had previously been drowned out by the roaring wind and crashing thunder. Harry was screaming.

Snape brought his leg up and kicked the door in. This wasn’t no social call. All sorts of horrible ideas were going through their minds on what could make Harry scream like that. Snape’s were closer to the truth, however.

Severus felt his nearly lifeless heart come to life and practically break as those screams suddenly came into true focus as the door flew open. Harry was terrified, and he could discern the sobs in between the screaming. Oh, someone was going to die.

As Vernon Dursley stood in silent shock, Snape watched as the whale of a man began to open his mouth in outrage. “Get out of my house!” he screamed.

Minerva apparently had already had enough of his mouth, and sent a Petrificus Totalus and a muttered curse which appeared to be causing the big man some pain. Good for her, he thought.

The Muggle all but forgotten, he rushed to the cupboard and nearly ripped the door from its hinges. “Harry?” he called, but the boy was too distressed to hear him. He went to touch his shoulder in an effort to grab his attention, but Harry reacted quite violently. He hissed out in pain as a foot struck him right in the chest, momentarily sending him out of the small storage area. He wasn’t about to give up though.

Re-entering the small room, he watched in some small amount of anguish, and a great part of anger at that damn muggle, as Harry struggled with his fear. Not knowing any other way, he grabbed the kicking legs and quickly pulled the teenager from the cupboard. He was shocked by how quickly he calmed down. He had stopped screaming at least, but he didn’t seem to realize he was there.

He briefly noticed that Minerva was standing nervously behind him, but his attention remained on the boy lying beneath him. He gently took Harry’s face in his, and wasn’t surprised by the slight tremble that raced through his body at the touch. He was still scared, naturally. Harry’s eyes met his and recognition flared within them. Severus could see the exhaustion plainly in the slightly dimmed emerald eyes. He instinctively began to rub his thumbs along Harry’s temples, knowing it would cause him to close his eyes. And, as he knew he would, the boy fell asleep.

Severus pulled the boy into his arms, holding him close. He eyed the Muggle in disgust. If he knew he wouldn’t get sent to Azkaban, he would murder the man where he lay. But he wouldn’t leave Harry like that.

“What are we going to do with him, Severus?” asked Minerva, kicking the still body with a booted foot.

“Well, since we can’t kill him…” he said, in all seriousness, “I suppose we’ll just have to let Dumbledore dole out his own punishment.”

“That might be worse than death, Severus.” added McGonagall, giving the petrified man another swift kick in the side. “Let’s get him back to Hogwarts.” she said, regret lacing her tone.

Snape knew the woman felt horrible about sending him here, especially after hearing the boy screaming. He knew those screams would haunt him for a long time in coming. He could only imagine what the Transfiguration teacher must be thinking, after sending him here.

He motioned for the door and she quickly led the way. Upstairs, hidden in the bathroom, a quiet sigh was released. Her husband would live another day.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1168