Somewhere I Belong by shadowarwen
Past Featured StorySummary: Severus Snape discovers a hidden truth about Harry's home life. And decides to take matters into his own hands. Please review!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Somewhere I Belong
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 48321 Read: 176625 Published: 13 Apr 2003 Updated: 07 Mar 2004
Meeting the Guide by shadowarwen

The next morning Harry awoke to discover it had rained during the night, and looked like it might again that day.

“Great.” he muttered to himself, flinging his legs over the massive bed and jumping down to the floor. He briefly wondered what time it was before heading to the bathroom to clean himself up. He just hoped it wasn’t before six yet, or Snape might kill him. After finishing that task, he grabbed his things, which were sitting at the door. “I don’t remember doing this.” he said to himself, and then remembered the events of the previous evening, and preceded to feel like an idiot. “I can’t believe I acted like that, and in front of Snape too.”

With the knowledge that Snape knew more of his past in mind, he headed downstairs. Deliverance had the entire table covered with food. He hadn’t realized how hungry he was until he saw and smelt the ample supply of food on the table.

“Hello, dear.” said Deliverance, coming out of the kitchen with what looked like a bowl of gravy.

“Hi, Del.” said Harry, sitting down at the table. “You didn’t have to go to all this trouble, you know.” he added.

“Of course I did. This could be the last time I see the both of you for a very long time. I wanted to make it special.” she replied, setting down the bowl. “Now eat up, you’ve a long journey ahead of you.”

“Yes, mam.” he said, grabbing a biscuit from a basket and the gravy. “I love this meal.” he said to himself. He thought he heard Del chuckling on her way out.

Severus came down the stairs not five minutes later, eyeing the food on the table. “There are three people here, not an army.” he stated, sitting down across from Harry.

“She said she wanted to make it special.” remarked Harry, still shoveling biscuit into his mouth.

“Really.” said Snape, scathingly.

“Yes, really.” Deliverance surprised them both by coming down the stairs instead of out of the kitchen. Harry looked at her in confusion. “Secret passageways, dear.” she said, realizing his predicament.

“Oh.” he said.

“Who knows when you’ll get a descent meal again, so eat up while it’s still hot.” she exclaimed, and bustled over to sit beside Severus.

******************

Breakfast ended rather quickly and soon both Professor Snape and Harry were at the front door, saying their goodbyes to the much older woman. As the mountain would be a long and sometimes dangerous climb, they had packed light, leaving most of their belongings in the house.

“I’ll see you soon, cousin.” said Deliverance, enveloping him in a tight hug, much to Snape’s discomfort.

“Ah, yes, we will.” he replied, breaking out of the hug.

“You be careful now.” she said and wrapped the boy in a tight hug as well. “I shall miss you. Don’t be strangers, come and visit me when you get back.” she seemed to drill holes into Snape’s head at this comment, making sure he understood. If they weren’t back within a week, she’d send out a search party. She trusted that mountain about as far as she could throw it, which says a lot.

“Bye.” said Harry, and they were off, following the larger section of trail they had come in on. Soon the trail broke off and they were left with overgrown foliage to walk through. Harry swiped continuously at bugs, especially the mosquitoes, which seemed to love him. He noticed that Snape didn’t seem to have any problems with the bugs, and glared at him. After a very vicious attack by at least ten mosquitoes, Harry started cursing, very loudly.

Snape turned around and eyed the boy. He saw the red marks adorning Harry’s skin. “Why don’t you use your wand, like most intelligent people do, and repel the damn things.” said Snape.

Harry just looked at his Professor like he was the biggest idiot in the world. “How am I supposed to do that? You know perfectly well that I can’t use magic during the holidays.”

Snape glared. “Apparently I forgot to mention an important factor. You are allowed to use your wand, but only if you are in extreme duress. And if I am present, however, I prefer that you ask first. I don’t want you off enchanting the wildlife, Potter. Got it?” he asked, still glaring.

“Yes.” said Harry, happy he got to use his wand, even if he did have to ask. He quickly cast a bug repelling charm that did a hell of a lot better than bug spray could ever do and followed after Snape.

“How much longer do you expect it to be?” asked Harry.

“We’ve probably got another hour or so to go before we reach this man’s…shack.” he said with distaste.

Harry just nodded his head and continued following. He was hoping this guide would be able to lead them to wherever they were going, and quickly. Traipsing through a mountain with Snape was beginning to get boring. But nothing in Harry’s life ever remained so.

******************

The next hour past by very slowly, with no conversation and no rest stops whatsoever. Harry was growing very tired, but was too afraid to ask for a break in their traveling. He still wasn’t too trusting of Snape, especially after what had happened the night before. After stumbling over his own two feet a few times, he decided to risk it. “Professor, do you think we could stop for a bit?” he asked, leaning against a tree gratefully.

Snape turned around and looked at the boy, who looked close to collapsing. “Yes, we can take a quick break, I suppose.” he stated, and proceeded to unpack one of the bags. Harry noticed that Deliverance must have packed them a care package filled with food and other essential items for the trip. “Here, drink this.” said Snape, throwing Harry a bottle of water and opening one for himself.

“Thanks.” muttered Harry, drinking the bottle dry in a matter of seconds.

Professor Snape just waved it off. “If you’re finished resting, we need to be going.” he said, standing up from where he had been sitting.

Harry wearily got to his feet as well, and begrudgingly started to follow after the older man. He hoped when they got to the guide’s home they’d be able to rest for longer. He wondered what the guide was like, hopefully nice. He didn’t think he could stand being secluded with two people with foul attitudes.

It wasn’t too much longer when he saw smoke rising into the air in the distance. “I think we’re almost there.” he told Snape, pointing out the smoke.

“Thank you for stating the obvious, Potter.” stated Snape, scowling. He wasn’t looking forward to meeting the man Deliverance had referred to as ‘Satan’, during one of their conversations. Then again, Deliverance’s view on people differed from his own.

Harry just glared at the infuriating man in front of him. “I hope the guide is friendly.” he muttered to himself, but Snape heard him anyways.

‘You have no idea.’ Snape thought to himself.

*******************

Below the next rise, they discovered the man’s shack, where smoke was rising steadily from the chimney. A man sat outside, smoking a cigar, it looked like, and petting a rather large and vicious looking dog on the head. Harry thought he should be more careful while petting that dog, as it might bite his whole hand off. The dog started growling when he saw the two coming over the hill and stood up defensively in front of its master.

The Professor subconsciously stood in front of his charge, shielding him from any attack the Rottweiler might dish out. The guide stood up from his seat on the porch and reigned in his dog.

“Who the hell are you?” he asked, knowing perfectly well who it was. There weren’t many strangers around the area he didn’t know about. He made it a point to know about everything that went on around the island.

Snape had to restrain himself from cursing the man. “I am Severus Snape, my cousin Deliverance wrote to you telling of our arrival. I assume you got the letter?” he spat.

“Ah, I got the letter. Better safe than sorry, I say.” he said, eyeing the boy behind the older man with hatred. Harry could feel the man’s eye’s burning into him and shivered. Well, at least he knew he wasn’t nice. “She didn’t mention you’d be bringing any brats with you, though.” he complained.

Harry winced. He didn’t like this man, not at all. He found himself clinging to his Professor’s robes, and let go.

“Yes, well, the brat is just something we’re going to have to put up with. I had no choice in the matter, he had to come.” he stated, and Harry’s trust in his Professor plummeted to an all time low. He suddenly felt trapped with two people he never wanted to be in a crowded room with, let alone on a secluded island.

Snape noticed Harry’s increasing discomfort. The boy was backing away from the both of them, and he saw the guide eyeing the child with an odd gleam in his eyes. Snape sighed in exasperation. He didn’t want to have to stun the guide on their first encounter.

“What’s your name, old man?” spat Snape, surprising Harry so much he jumped.

The guide looked at Snape indignantly. “I ain’t old.” he hissed. “And I go by the name Jeb.”

“That’s nice.” he murmured, not caring in the least. “Will you lead us to the caves?” he asked, or more demanded.

“Did you bring money?” he asked, holding out his hand. Snape withdrew a pouch from his pocket and threw it at the older man. Jeb opened the pouch and fingered the money greedily. “I will lead you.” he stated.

************************

Harry reluctantly followed the two older men deeper into the trees that went higher into the mountain. He stayed several feet behind the both of them, hoping to stay out of the way. Harry swung his bag from his shoulder. He longed to get out his cloak, as it was growing quite cold. Deciding they probably wouldn’t notice if he stopped real quick for it, he opened his bag and set it on the ground. Rummaging through the large bag, he found it towards the bottom, and picked it up. Beneath his cloak he saw his money sack, and shifted it over towards the side. Harry started when he heard a sound coming from behind him. Turning quickly he found himself face to face with Jeb. He noticed the man had that scary gleam in his eyes, as he had earlier, and shuffled backwards, only to run into a damn tree.

“What you got there, boy?” he hissed quietly, reaching behind him and pointing at Harry’s money sack. Harry quickly turned and pulled his bag to his chest.

“None of your business.” he stated, acting more bravely than he felt. He looked around but didn’t see Snape anywhere. “Where’s Professor Snape?” he asked, hoping to distract the disgusting looking man in front of him.

“Right here.” said a rough voice from directly beside them. Harry spun and looked gratefully at his professor. “Is there a problem?” he asked, glaring at the guide.

“No, none at all. Just having a little chat with the boy is all.” said Jeb, looking as innocent as he could.

Snape took note of the boy’s incredulous look. Harry wandered further up an indistinct trail they had been following at Snape’s insistence. As soon as he was out of earshot Severus turned on the guide.

“Stay away from the boy.” he said venomously, and walked away.

Jeb just smiled evilly. “You can’t be around all the time.” he whispered to himself and went to catch up.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1168