Somewhere I Belong II by shadowarwen
Summary: After Severus gets guardianship of Harry, things get strange. Harry's friend's are worried, the staff is confused, and Harry begins to have horrible visions. Snape becomes very defensive of his charge.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Somewhere I Belong
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 152022 Read: 156552 Published: 16 Mar 2004 Updated: 22 Jul 2005
The Jumbling tower by shadowarwen

Harry shot straight up in bed trying to free himself of his tangled blankets. He grew increasingly panicked when the blankets refused to release his legs from their hold. He had to go. Sirius needed him. Even as he was struggling with his bedding, he heard hurried footsteps before his door was flung open. Harry refused to focus on anything but getting out of bed and out of the dungeons. He had to make it to Sirius before it was too late. The dream…it had to have been a vision. And Dillard, heaven help them, the man was too horrible now to even think of.

Hands took hold of his wrists and forced him to stop his anxious clawing at the blankets. He looked up into concerned black eyes and Harry could only imagine the look he must have had on his face, for Severus was suddenly sitting on the edge of the bed and gently taking hold of his hands. “Breathe, Harry. You must calm down.”

Harry hadn’t even realized he’d been holding his breath. He took a deep breath and leaned into the comfort of his father. As he felt Severus begin to run his fingers through his hair, the all-consuming fear began to subside at the relaxing touch. Soon, he was feeling more like himself and less like the terrorized child of moments before and he began to wonder about the vision. It wasn’t like the others he’d had.

“Better now?” asked Severus, startling Harry from his thoughts.

Nodding, he burrowed further into Severus’ chest when the older man pulled him closer. He was growing addicted to hugs, he thought. They were the most wonderful sensation in the world.

“Yes.” He replied, remembering the question suddenly.

“Vision?”

Harry shrugged uncertainly. “I’m not sure. It was different from any of the other visions I’ve had.”

Severus pulled back from the embrace to look Harry in the eyes. “Explain.” he stated simply.

Harry began to sit up when Severus had pulled away from him, thinking the man would no longer hold him. A pang of disappointment accompanied this notion, and he wished Severus would just hold him again. Somehow, he thought it would make things easier to talk about if he did. As soon as he’d started to move away, however, his father pulled him back down beside him and arranged it so he was lying beside Harry on the bed, with Harry’s head lying on his shoulder. Now, this was much better.

“Well, there’s no headache or nausea, so that’s a big indicator that it wasn’t a vision.” He said. “It just seemed different. The way things looked and the way I felt about the situation. It just didn’t seem like a vision, now that I’m able to think rationally about it. Something was off. I’m not sure how to describe it, really.”

“What did the dream entail?” asked Severus. Harry had hoped his father wouldn’t ask about the details of the dream, as they weren’t pleasant. And just the remembrance of Dillard from the dream made him sick to his stomach. He shivered, as the man’s appearance and his face were still vivid in his mind. He couldn’t escape the man; it seemed, not even in his dreams.

“Shacklebolt was dead.” he said abruptly, and Severus gave him a startled look. “Well, in my dream he was.” he reiterated, as if Severus was still thinking this could be a vision and not just a normal nightmare. But even this dream wasn’t very normal by his standards.

“Yes, I realize that. Go on.” Snape said and started stroking his hair in a soothing manner. Harry was grateful for the comforting touch.

“Dillard was in the dream as well. They were in some kind of building, I think. I don’t know if it was the Jumbling Tower, but it could have been. The room they were in looked similar to the room I was kept in when he kidnapped me. But, Sirius was lying on the floor. He looked hurt, and he wasn’t moving. I’m not sure, but I don’t think he was dead. It was just a feeling I got when I saw him. But, Dillard…” he trailed off, the image still haunted his mind. If he ever ran into the man in person, he didn’t think he’d be able to tolerate it. He shuddered violently and Severus held him tighter. “He’s changed. His appearance is different, but I could tell it was him. I think he might have been changing into whatever that animal was out in the Forest, that bit him.” he explained.

The older man looked at him curiously. “What had changed about his appearance?” he asked.

Harry had to picture the man in his mind, much to his disgust, before he could relate the changes to his father. “Well, I think he’s grown taller, but he seemed thinner than before…real bony. He seemed sick, too, I think. And he was definitely hairier than I remember him being. But, if it was just a dream, I was probably just putting the creature and Dillard together, as they both were the real threats from that night.” he told Snape, psychoanalyzing his own dream.

But, Severus seemed like he was actually considering the dream to be more than just a dream.

“You don’t think it’s real, do you?” he asked, concern starting to blossom somewhere inside of him. “Do you?”

Severus was silent for many minutes before finally answering Harry’s question. “I honestly don’t know. What you just described could actually have happened. It’s almost like a werewolf transformation, the beginning stages of course, but I’ve never heard of such an animal as the one you have told about.”

Harry could really care less about this mysterious creature; all he cared about was Sirius being in the hands of this mysterious creature. “But, if it’s a true dream, we have to find Sirius!” he moaned, growing distraught.

Severus turned to his son and grasped his hands tightly. “I’ll speak with Albus directly, however, you must promise to stay here in my quarters. I won’t have you trying to run off thoughtlessly, as you tried last night.” he said, brow raised.

Green eyes widened in surprise. “How did you find out about that?” he asked, as he hadn’t mentioned it at all. The only one who knew was Remus. His eyes narrowed suspiciously as he guessed who hadtold his father.

“It’s really none of your concern how I discovered your whereabouts this past evening.” said Severus sternly. Harry was a little bit hurt that Remus had told Snape he’d tried to sneak out of the castle, but he couldn’t really hold it against him. He was a Professor, and Remus probably felt obligated to tell his father about his escapades, especially when most of his escapades ended up with either himself or someone else getting hurt. “Will you stay put?” he asked, breaking Harry from his muse.

Crossing his fingers, Harry made a promise he was about to break.

……………………………………

He quietly snuck into the dormitories; hoping and praying that Ron and his other roommates would still be sleeping. He only had a brief window of opportunity to get what he needed and get out of the castle before everyone began waking up. He’d never make it after that, even with his invisibility cloak. Severus would find him, probably with Remus’ help, by means of the Marauder’s Map.

He thought about putting the invisibility cloak on, but thought it might just be easier to walk himself out of the castle without sneaking about. He wouldn’t have to be nearly as quiet, and no one would question him, except for maybe why he was up so early. He put the cloak in his bag, just in case. He was just closing up his bag when a noise from behind him caught his attention. Spinning around, he came face to face with Ron.

“Ron.” he whispered, not wanting to wake the other boys. “What are you doing up so early?”

The redhead wasn’t looking at Harry, but at his bag and the wand in his hand. “What are you doing?” he asked, blocking the way to the door suddenly. Harry thought his friend knew exactly what he was doing.

“Nothing.” Harry tried to play it off, but Ron wouldn’t budge.

“Tell me Harry, I’m not letting you go off by yourself. Not with Malfoy acting the way he is. He probably put you up to this, didn’t he?” he asked, jumping to conclusions, extremely wrong conclusions.

Harry gave Ron an incredulous look. “What? No…where do you get these ideas, Ron? Why does everything have to be about Malfoy with you?”

“Well, what do you expect me to think? Ever since that day I saw you and Malfoy in the corridor, it’s like you’ve been avoiding me. You can’t blame me for being cautious, now can you?” he asked, and Harry had to give him that. Malfoy wasn’t someone one could easily trust, even though Harry found himself thinking it was possibly on more than one occasion.

“Well, I guess not, but he’s got nothing to do with anything right now. But, I’ve got to go.” he said, and tried to skirt around the taller teen. Ron seemed to know what he was going to do before he’d even moved and stepped directly into his path.

“No, not until you tell me what you’re doing.” he demanded, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Oh, fine.” he grumbled. “I’m going after Sirius. He’s in trouble, I know he is, and I’ve got to help him.”

“What? You can’t go after him. You don’t even know where he is!”

“Yes, I do! Or at least, I’m pretty sure I do.” He said. “I think he’s at the Jumbling Tower, where Dillard kept me when he kidnapped me. I had a vision last night, and it looked like the Jumbling Tower, I know it was. I have to go there, I have to save him. I’ll never forgive myself if I knew where he was and did nothing, and he ends up hurt or worse!” he said. He had to force himself to lower his voice before he woke up the others. “Please, don’t stop me. I have to go, can’t you see that?”

Ron sighed and re-crossed his arms in the other direction. “I’m going with you.” He said, and Harry nodded in defeat. He knew he’d never talk Ron out of going with him. And if by chance he did stay behind, he’d only follow or tell Dumbledore where he’d gone.

“Fine, but we have to go now. Severus will have spoken to Dumbledore about my vision by now, I would think. We have to get out of the castle before everyone wakes up!” he whispered.

Ron nodded and quickly got dressed. After grabbing his wand off the nightstand, he followed Harry out the door.

…………………………..

Surprisingly, they ran into little resistance as they escaped the castle. Running as fast as their legs would carry them, they made it to the edge of Hogwart’s wards in little to no time at all. As soon as they were on the road Harry flung out his wand. Once more Harry saw the bright purple triple-decker bus come hurtling towards them at speeds he didn’t even want to think about before screeching to a stop before them.

“Well, if it isn’t Harry Potter. Back again?” asked Stan Shunpike. Harry nodded at him and quickly stepped up to the bus.

“Here, I owe you this from last time.” he said, and handed Stan a pouch. “There’s enough for this trip as well, I think.” He watched as Stan dumped the pouch out and the money spilled forth into his palm.

“That’d be just right.” he said, “But, I told ya you didn’t owe us nothing.” Stan added and tried to hand the pouch back.

Harry refused it. “Keep it, I don’t need it. I just wanted to thank you for picking me up that night.” Harry had been eternally grateful when he’d seen the bus that last time. He’d never been happier to see the vehicle in all his life. Running from what he’d left behind had been very traumatic. He hoped this time around would end in different results. Sirius. The thought hit him so suddenly he felt his breath catch. What if something happens to him before we make it? “Listen, can you take me back to that place you picked me up at?”

Stan looked at him searchingly. “Why would you go back there? Won’t that be dangerous?” he asked. Harry figured the man was remembering the condition Harry had entered the bus.

“No, it’ll be okay. No one is there now, I just need to get something I left.” he lied.

Stan nodded. “I guess so. Your headmaster and a few other wizards came this way to take care of something or the other. I suppose it can’t be too dangerous if they’ve been here.” he said. Harry was grateful they’d come now, as it seemed this would help Stan allow them to further their journey without contacting someone, if it came to that. Of course, he had no illusions that someone would be following after them as soon as it was discovered they were missing. Severus knew where he thought Sirius was. He also knew how much trouble he was going to be in, Ron too. He’d feel bad later for getting Ron into trouble, but for now, they needed to get moving.

“Can you take us, then?” he asked.

“Sure. Go pick a bed then and hang on tight.” He mentioned. They had been driving for a while when they suddenly came to a jerking stop. A gentleman in blue robes boarded the bus. Harry and Ron quickly hid their faces, just in case he was someone they knew. After he’d passed and climbed up the third deck, the two relaxed.

“How much longer, do you think?” asked Ron, anxiously twirling his wand around his fingers. Harry eyed him and his wand waving apprehensively.

“Put that down, will you?” he asked, before looking out the window at the quickly passing scenery. “Shouldn’t be much longer now. The houses are starting to look familiar.”

Ron nodded and sat back on his violently shaking bed. “Good.”

Minutes later the bus came to another screeching stop, nearly sending both boys head first into the window. “Glad that’s over with.” muttered Ron as they stepped down from the bus.

“Yeah, me too.” answered Harry. They walked a ways down the street before they heard the bus speed off loudly.

“Where’s this Tower, then?” asked Ron, watching the old houses on either side of the street.

Harry shrugged. “I’m not really sure. But, I think I’ll know it when I see it. And, I’m pretty sure it is down this road.” He said, pointing to a nameless street to their right.

“Okay.” responded Ron, and the two started down the street, Harry keeping a close eye on all the houses, looking for something familiar.

“Look for a broken front window.” he thought to mention when they were almost to the end of the street. No sooner had he spoken than Ron yelled and pointed.

“There! It’s right there!” he said and waved his hand excitedly in front of him. Harry felt his apprehension grow as they approached the house, and Harry finally realized now why it was called the Jumbling Tower. The house was built to look as if the second and third floors resembled those of a castle tower. One of the towers had almost completely crumbled; debris still littered the front and side lawn. The other tower was still intact, but swayed as if it could topple at any minute. He realized with a jolt that he had been in that tower. He wondered what idiot had built this castle like home in what once could have been a prosperous neighbourhood. It was deserted now, thankfully.

The two quickly and quietly walked up to the front of the house and stopped right before the window Harry had escaped from.

“Where’s the door?” asked Ron, and Harry released a grim chuckle.

“There isn’t one.” he steadily replied.

Ron gave him a dubious look. “What do you mean there’s no door. How can there be no door?”

Harry shrugged. “I don’t know, I didn’t build the place. But there’s no door, believe me, I looked.” Harry vividly remembered frantically looking for an escape that night, only to discover there was no door. He made do with the window instead.

“I had wondered why you didn’t just use the door, actually.” replied Ron. “I had just assumed at the time that it was locked or something.”

Harry just looked at his friend. “It wasn’t locked, there just wasn’t one.”

Ron nodded. “Yeah, I realize that now.”

Harry grinned. “Ready to go in?” he asked, wondering if he was ready himself. “I hope this isn’t some trap.” He idly said before taking the first step towards the house and began to climb into the broken window.

“Me, too.” said Ron. Harry could hear the anxiety in his voice the closer they got. When they were actually in the house, Harry felt the anxiety himself, ten fold.

He was still worried more than anything about Sirius, but he would never forgive himself if something happened to Ron. He fleetingly thought of asking his friend just to go back and tell the others where he’d gone, but knew that would never happen. Ron wouldn’t leave him now. Wild horses couldn’t drag him away.

As soon as they had entered the house, the feeling of fear became almost tangible. Harry thought he could almost taste it coming from the two of them…and somewhere else. He knew now that there was someone else in the house. He knew then that it had to be Sirius. He was in the house and he was scared. He took the stairs two at a time, heedless of who he might be alerting, wanting only to get to his godfather.

“Harry!” he heard Ron yell his name, but was too engrossed in getting to Sirius to really notice. At the top of the stairs, he went left and towards the room he had been held in. He wondered if that was where Sirius was being held. He slowly walked the short feet it took to reach the door and placed his trembling fingers upon the knob, and turned it.

As the door swung open, Harry was imagining Sirius lying on the floor or on the bed as he had done, but nothing prepared him for what he did see.

There was no one there. Sirius wasn’t here, and neither was anyone else. “What?” he asked himself, and nearly jumped as a hand fell down onto his shoulder.

“Harry.” Ron had finally made it up after him. “What are you doing? You can’t go running around like that. What if somebody had been up here? Somebody other than Sirius.” he remarked.

Harry grimaced and turned to face his friend. “He’s not here.” He stated sadly. “Come on, we have to check the other rooms just to be sure.”

He sighed in frustration. He could have sworn this was where he’d seen Sirius. Maybe it wasn’t. Maybe it was one of the other houses on the block or somewhere else nearby. But deep down inside he knew this was where his vision had been directing him. But, Sirius wasn’t here. And as they looked around the rest of the house, he knew it was empty. It was time to face facts. The vision hadn’t been a vision at all. It had been a nightmare. And here he had dragged Ron out of the protection of the castle to go on a stupid quest to find Sirius, when the man probably wasn’t missing at all. Why hadn’t he listened when Severus and Dumbledore had told him his godfather had been safe and with Shacklebolt? Why was he so hard-headed and stubborn?

“No one’s here, Harry.” Stated Ron, glancing worriedly at the green-eyed boy. “Maybe we should head back to Hogwarts before we get into too much trouble.” he suggested hopefully.

“I could have sworn he was here, Ron.” he said, looking at his friend and begging him to believe him. “I couldn’t not look!”

“I know, Harry. And, eventually, after we’ve served ten years worth of grounding, my parents and Severus will realize that too.” he said, and Harry had to lightly laugh at the thought. Because, they would be grounded for the rest of their lives, undoubtedly.

“Come on, let’s get out of here. Maybe, if we’re lucky, they won’t have realized we’re gone yet.” continued Ron. Harry stared at him.

“I don’t think we’re that lucky, Ron. In fact, the entire Order is probably on our trail as we speak.” he said, grimacing at the thought. “We’re going to be in so much trouble.”

Ron grimaced as well. “Let’s go. Quickly. Maybe we can avoid them completely and deny we were ever here.”

Harry laughed so loud the bricks that were left around the fallen tower tumbled to the lawn outside. He calmed at that. “They wouldn’t believe that for a second, but we can always try.” He said, still laughing. The two quickly made their way downstairs and into the entrance way. Harry walked to the window only to stop as something started to enter. He stepped back, his gut clenching, at what he presumed to be Order members filing into the house. He looked at Ron, expecting to see resignation, but that was not what he encountered. He was terrified. Harry spun back to the window only to stumble backwards into his redheaded friend.

“Ron!” he yelled, pushing him backwards into the house. “Go!”

Harry pushed Ron into motion, shoving him and almost dragging him along as they ran into parts of the house they had only just searched. His heart was beating so fast he thought it would thump right out of his chest. It was Dillard! Or, what had become of the man. What he had seen in his vision had been real! Did that mean Sirius was here as well? He couldn’t think any longer as he was suddenly pulled into a bedroom and the door slammed closed behind him.

“What was that?” asked Ron, his voice a whisper; though Harry could tell he wanted to yell.

“Dillard!” he exclaimed quietly, his eyes wide with fright.

That was Dillard?” Ron’s eyes grew huge. “What? How?” he asked.

“He was bitten by something in the Forbidden Forest. I’ll explain later, okay.” he said, when his short explanation hadn’t been enough for his friend. “Right now, we need to stay quiet and hopefully keep off of Dillard’s radar. If we’re lucky, Severus will have noticed we’re missing by now and really has sent the Order after us.” he said hoping help was on the way.

The two sat as silent as possible, listening intensely for any sound of the man, or monster. Harry wasn’t sure what he was now. Although, he had always seemed to be a monster to Harry, even when he’d been completely human. Ron’s breathing became erratic when they heard a floorboard squeak almost directly outside of the door they were hiding behind. Slapping a hand over his friend’s mouth, Harry suddenly realized he’d have to do the same for himself. They waited for what seemed like an excruciating amount of time before they heard a noise further down the hallway. Releasing a breath, Harry took his hand away from Ron’s mouth.

“Thanks for that.” he said quietly. Harry could only nod; he was too disconcerted really to do anything else. “We’ve got to get out of here.”

Harry could more than agree with that, but he found he couldn’t make himself move from the position he was sitting in. “I don’t want to face him again.” he realized.

Ron sighed and wrapped a comforting arm around Harry’s shoulders. “We don’t really have a choice here, Harry. We’ve got to get out of here. I’ll be right here, okay. You’re not alone this time.” he said, and Harry did find comfort in those words. It gave him the strength to stand up. It was nice to know that he wasn’t alone in this, that he had a friend who would back him through anything.

“Okay, let’s go.” Harry said bravely, cracking open the door to peek outside. It was eerily dark out in the hallway, but Harry was fairly certain Dillard wasn’t there. He somehow thought he’d know if he was. The two stepped quietly out of the room they’d been hiding in and crept down the hallway in the opposite direction they’d heard the noise from earlier. Fortunately, this led them towards their only hope of escape. They had just made it into the entrance hall again when they heard a low growl come from behind them.

“Oh, no.” whispered Harry, turning at the sound. There, at the end of the hallway, stood what was left of David Dillard. The man stood hunched over, clothes ripped and nearly gone, and with more hair than he’d ever seen on Moony. The man was turning into something hideous, but what was the most frightening were the eyes, the red eyes, that seemed to bore directly into Harry’s soul. Somehow, the man who used to be still remembered who Harry was…or at least that he hated him. Harry could see that, if he saw nothing else, in the frightening eyes.

They had to get away. They’d never make it out alive if they didn’t get away from this animal. Harry suddenly felt hopeless as he realized they wouldn’t make it out the window before one of them were caught, and possibly ripped to shreds, if the man’s unnaturally sharp teeth were any indication. He pushed Ron behind him.

”Out the window!” he whispered desperately.

Ron shook his head angrily. “He’ll catch you!” he whispered back furiously. “I won’t leave you, remember! I won’t leave you alone.” It was said so adamantly and with such conviction that Harry knew he would.

“One of us has to make it out of here.” He said, shoving his friend hard in the chest with his back. “You’ve got a family, Ron. They’d be devastated if something happened to you. It’s my fault you’re in this in the first place. Now, go!”

“No!” he bellowed, grabbing Harry’s hands and pulling Harry to his chest. Surprised by the sudden lurching motion, Harry could only hold on as the two of them were suddenly diving backwards through the window. Shocked, he lay on his side on the front lawn, facing his best friend. “I’m going to yell at you later, Harry. But, for now, we need to run!”

Harry could understand that. Something was running and making it widely known from inside the house. A loud and ferocious growl escaped from inside and the two sprinted to their feet, running haphazardly down the street. Looking behind them, he saw Dillard burst through the window and tear after them. He turned back around with a sinking feeling in his chest.

“We’re not going to make it!” he yelled to Ron, who also glanced back. Harry watched as Ron’s face paled. Dillard was gaining on them at an unnatural speed. Harry couldn’t seem to pull his wand out of his back pocket; his hands were shaking so badly. Of course, he knew he couldn’t call the Knight Bus at this particular moment to make their escape; it would only endanger whoever else was riding the bus. Screaming his frustration, he finally ripped the wand from his back pocket and fired numerous curses at the monster as they ran.

As they reached the end of the street, they could suddenly hear a dozen loud popping sounds. Harry sighed as he realized the Order had finally arrived. He was only shocked out of his mind when he looked up and saw it wasn’t the Order at all.

“Oh sweet Merlin. It was a trap.” he whispered, pulling Ron to a stop beside him. No matter where they turned they were surrounded on all sides. Death Eaters completely circled around them, and Harry shivered at the low growl that came from directly behind him. The two turned as one and saw that Dillard was standing right in front of them. Standing face to face with the hideous creature was even worse than seeing it from a slight distance. Harry gagged as it breathed on his face, its putrid breath invading his nose and Harry suddenly thought he really would vomit. Up close, he could see yellow teeth, once white, and torn skin. He took a step back and realized that Ron was doing the same.

“Harry, we’re in trouble.” mumbled Ron, unnecessarily. Harry knew quite well just how much trouble they were in. Escape seemed hopeless, and Harry instinctively took a protective stance in front of Ron. Although, it wasn’t much help, as the enemy surrounded them on all sides. He became slightly amused when he realized Ron was trying to take a protective stance in front of him as well, covering his back.

“Mr. Potter. How good of you to join us.” Came a scathing remark from somewhere in the crowd of black robed wizards. “I’d begun to wonder if you would come at all. Did you enjoy the vision our Master sent to you?”

Harry’s felt his stomach roll once more when he realized the visions had been false.

“Your precious Black isn’t here, Potter. Nor was he ever. You fell right into our cleverly constructed trap. It was only too easy, boy.” he said, and Harry was startled to recognize the voice. It was Lucius Malfoy.

“Where’s Sirius?” he asked. He knew it had been a trap, but it seemed like too much of a coincidence that Sirius had disappeared right when he had received this vision.

“How should I know, Potter? Can’t you keep track of your own godfather?” asked Malfoy. Harry truly wanted to smack him. Or at least blast him into one of the nearby abandoned houses. That would feel exceptionally nice.

“You did something to him didn’t you? Just tell me where he is!” he yelled, and took a step towards the man who had suddenly emerged from the crowd he had previously kept hidden behind.

“He must be lost somewhere, boy. I honestly don’t know where he is, nor do I care. He’s none of my concern, only what will transpire in the next few moments is. I’ll take your wands now.” he stated calmly, as if he was discussing some type of business transaction and not the lives of two boys.

Harry resolutely clung to his wand, knowing only too well how easily it could be ripped from his grasp. And indeed it was. Only moments later, his and Ron’s wands were stolen from their grasps by an unknown Death Eater. Feeling completely defenceless, he prayed and hoped that if he needed it, his wandless magic would actually work!

“Restrain them.” Malfoy said casually. “We’re taking them with us.”

Harry instantly began to fight against the Death Eaters attempting to physically hold him back. He couldn’t allow this to happen! They would surely die, painfully, no doubt, if they were taken. They would take them to Voldemort! Ron refused to be taken easily either, he could see from his position. A Death Eater had twisted his arm behind his back, but Ron wouldn’t let up. Harry grinned internally when he saw his friend bite one of the black robed men. His satisfaction was short lived, however, when one of the other Death Eaters clubbed Ron over the head with a rock.

“Hey!” he screamed as Ron hit the floor and remained motionless. He suddenly slipped out of his captor’s grasp and ran to his friend. As he went to kneel down beside him, though, a strong hand grabbed him around the throat and effortlessly lifted him into the air, his feet dangling. Harry gasped and kicked as he suddenly found himself face to face with Dillard once more. Dillard growled menacingly and shook Harry’s small frame. His throat hurt from the abuse it was receiving and he desperately wished the man would just drop him. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that Ron was moving around slowly on the ground. ‘Please wake up, Ron. I need your help.’ He tried to focus on his wandless magic, on his father’s love, but nothing happened. He couldn’t produce the wandless magic he had used just the night before. Why couldn’t he channel the magic?

The edges of Harry’s vision were turning black when he heard another set of popping noises. That has to be the Order. Unless, more to his luck it would seem, it was more Death Eaters apparating in to attack as well.

“Drop him!” yelled a voice he recognized immediately. Well, at least the good guys had finally arrived. Harry wondered if Mad-Eye Moody realized the man holding him by his throat wasn’t exactly all there in the head and wouldn’t automatically drop him as instructed. He really couldn’t bother with it though, as he was starting to pass out. He welcomed the darkness. Anywhere was better than here.

It wasn’t meant to be however, as in the next instant he was dropped to the floor, Dillard making angry and hurt sounds somewhere beside him.

“Stay down, Harry!” Harry couldn’t believe his ears. Was that Sirius? Had they found his godfather, finally? Opening his eyes and carefully raising his head he saw that it was indeed his godfather. He looked unharmed, nothing like the man he’d seen in the vision. Thank Merlin. He didn’t know what he’d have done if something happened to Sirius. He couldn’t seem to focus on what was going on around him, but his eyes honed in on the red hair he could see crawling towards him. Ron. At least his friend was okay. As long as he kept his head down and didn’t get it blown off by an accurately aimed curse or hex.

“Are you okay, Harry?” Ron asked as soon as he was directly beside him.

Harry tried to nod, but couldn’t manage it. “Yes.” he croaked, even if his throat was killing him. He rubbed his sore throat but pulled his hand back with a hiss of pain. He looked at Ron questioningly.

“It’s bruised.” He said. “Badly, too.” Suddenly, Ron threw himself over Harry’s body as a curse came hurtling too close to their prone positions.

“We can’t stay here. We’re too out in the open.” he said, looking around at the fighting.

“It’s too bad we don’t have our wands.” grumbled Ron. Harry felt the same way. If he had it, he could help the Order. He knew Severus was here somewhere; the man just couldn’t get close to him for some reason.

“Come on. There’s a rock over there.” Ron pointed to an area just feet away from them. “We can hide there.”

Harry nodded and allowed his friend to haul him to his feet. “Hurry.” he said hastily, and they quickly made it to the relative safety of the rock and ducked down behind it.

“What are we going to do?”

Harry didn’t know. What could they do? If only they had their wands! Harry could tell from where they sat that the Order was extremely outnumbered.

Hearing Sirius shout, Harry looked up and saw his godfather fighting with some Death Eater. It was a woman, by the sound of her voice. The two fought violently as if there was some kind of history behind it all. Harry suddenly got a bad feeling about the woman his godfather was fighting. Something was going to happen. He stood up suddenly from behind the rock. Ron grabbed his arm to pull him back down, but Harry pulled free. He ran from his shelter towards the Death Eater and Sirius, praying he’d make it on time. They were only a few feet away, yet it seemed like such a long distance to traverse. He recoiled in fear as he saw the Death Eater raise her wand in a slashing motion, firing it at Sirius. Harry knew instantly that Sirius wouldn’t survive the curse being sent at him. Raising his hand instinctively, Harry called for his godfather.

Sirius shot off his feet and came hurtling straight to Harry, knocking the boy to the ground. But, Sirius was safe. The woman Death Eater screamed in frustration. Harry watched in satisfaction as Shacklebolt stunned the woman and she toppled to the ground, legs and arms locked at her sides. The situation seemed to be turning in their favour when Harry noticed Lucius Malfoy coming their way. He didn’t know where the man had been before this, but he didn’t think he’d been fighting. Suddenly, Dillard began to approach them as well from the opposite side of Malfoy.

Harry looked all around them, looking for someone who was available to help them. Remus and Severus (so there he was) were fighting Death Eaters in the distance. There were many Death Eaters down for the count, but Shacklebolt was down on the ground as well, with a wound to his chest. Harry was able to fleetingly worry about the man when he saw Dillard attack from the corner of his eye. Sirius pushed Harry out of the way and Harry watched in horror as Sirius was bowled into, by what used to be a man, as he had almost completely turned into something else now. Harry thought he looked extremely close to that which he saw in the Forbidden Forest. A werewolf. The transformation had fully taken him.

Sirius and the werewolf fought while both on the ground, each trying to get the upper hand on the other. Any time he saw the hairy beast try and bite or scratch Sirius he would shudder in terror. Sirius couldn’t be turned into one of those things too! Harry tried desperately to use his wandless magic again, but it seemed he couldn’t think straight, let alone of what made him happy, when his godfather was being trampled into the ground by a beastly form. He saw Severus looking at them anxiously every few minutes while fighting his own Death Eater. Harry suddenly thought Sirius could possibly die, or he would eventually if that thing bit him. Harry looked behind him and saw that Ron was watching the fray as well. He was scared, Harry could tell. There was nothing either of them could do to help. Harry tried once more to use his wandless magic. He focused on the love of his father, the love of his godfather, and almost had it. He had felt the magic flow to the tips of his fingers. But the magic tapered off as a curse hit him in the side, throwing him off his feet. He looked down at his side in shock, seeing blood begin to pool to the surface of his skin where there was now a three inch wide cut. He instinctively put his hand over it, trying to stop the flow of blood. It didn’t seem to be helping though, as blood began to seep through his fingers and trickle down his side. This wasn’t good. It must be really deep.

He felt someone suddenly beside him and looked up into the concerned eyes of his best friend.

“Harry, are you…” his voice trailed off when he saw all the blood escaping Harry’s body. Ron pushed Harry’s hands out of the way and pressed his own against the wound, hard. The pressure sent a flare of pain down his side and he moaned out his distress.

“Sorry, Harry.” said Ron. Harry saw that Ron’s face had grown pale and he looked distinctly worried. “It won’t even slow down.”

Harry looked up at Ron’s face at this and back down to his wounded side. “That’s not good.” he whispered.

“Having some trouble children?” asked a sneering voice behind them. Harry tried to turn to see the man approaching, but hissed in pain. His side wouldn’t allow it. He lay down on the ground instead, his strength leaving him.

“What did you do to him?” yelled Ron, sheltering Harry’s body with his own when the man got closer. “I won’t let you hurt him again!”

“Well, that really won’t be necessary, Weasley. The boy will be dead in a matter of minutes from blood loss. I’m terribly sorry.” Lucius Malfoy’s voice had remained steadily neutral through the entire thing and Ron looked on the verge of either killing the man or bursting into tears for his friend.

“No.” he whispered, and leaned down to Harry. “It’s going to be alright, mate. We’ll figure something out.”

Harry weakly nodded, though he seriously doubted anyone would be able to help him before it was too late. He felt cold and told Ron so. Malfoy laughed.

Ron glared at the man and resolutely pulled his friend closer to his body for warmth.

“It’s okay Harry, I’ll keep you warm.” He whispered. Harry heard his voice break and it sent a shiver of panic through him. He was going to die. Ron was looking around the fighting wildly, probably trying to find a familiar face. Harry wondered if Sirius was okay, or if he was hurt too.

“Snape!” screamed Ron, and Harry looked up at his friend. Where was his father? Harry wanted his dad if only so he could be held in those comforting arms one more time before he died.

He could hear muffled screams and curses from somewhere behind him. Lucius Malfoy suddenly toppled to the ground and Harry found himself staring into the frozen eyes of the blonde man.

“Holy hell.” whispered Ron. Harry looked up and saw his friend’s eyes had widened in disbelief.

“Ron?” he managed to whisper and his friend was instantly back by his side. He looked questioningly at the redhead, unable to voice what he wanted to know.

“Malfoy.” The older boy muttered, still looking as if he’d been struck dumb. “I can’t believe it.”

Harry was beginning to grow worried about his friend. But, then everything made sense. Draco Malfoy dropped to his knees beside them and waved his wand dramatically. Harry couldn’t make out the words being said, but whatever he did made his wound stop bleeding.

“He’ll need a blood replenishing draught.” said the blonde teen and Ron nodded as if he even knew what Malfoy was talking about. “Severus will probably have one on him. If only he could get over here.”

Even though the blood had stopped flowing profusely from his body, Harry still felt weak. He didn’t know if he’d even be able to use his voice. “Dad?” he asked. Well he’d managed it, but faintly.

“He’s coming, Potter.” Said Malfoy and Harry finally got his first good look at him. He grinned. The blonde was wearing a blue robe, a very familiar blue robe. Draco Malfoy had followed them. He’d been the ‘man’ he’d seen get onto the Knight Bus earlier that very same day.

“I saw you.” he whispered. Malfoy shrugged noncommittally and Ron looked confused.

“When?” asked Ron. “Just now?”

“No…before…on bus.” he gasped out. He was finally becoming more aware of his wound and it was killing him. “Ouch.” he muttered.

“Hang on, Harry. Snape will be here any minute now.” He said, but Harry thought he could sense some frustration coming from Ron. Severus wasn’t getting over here fast enough for his friend.

He was surprised, therefore, to hear Malfoy yell at his dad. “Severus, we need your help! Come here!”

Harry could still hear some fighting going on around him, but was in too much pain to care. But as he looked up into dark eyes he managed a weak smile.

“Hi dad.” He whispered and then grimaced as pain shot through him.

“What happened?” asked Severus, kneeling down beside Harry and pulling his shirt up from the wound. Harry gasped and arched his back to get away from the pain. Severus pushed him back to the ground but was rubbing his other side gently as if to apologize for hurting him. “I’ll be more careful.” he told Harry.

Harry found he was too exhausted to answer and shut his eyes instead.

“No, Harry, you need to stay awake.” Harry heard Severus say and he whimpered in protest. “Just until I get some potions down you, Harry. Then you can sleep all you want.”

Harry was gently propped up and Severus slid behind him to support his weakening body. “Here, drink this.” Severus gently put a vial to his lips and he drank the disgusting liquid until it was gone. He then had to swallow two more potions before Severus finally let him lay back down on the ground. Harry smiled when the pain vanished and realized he felt more awake but still wanted to sleep.

“Better?” asked Ron.

“Yeah.” He replied. “Where’s Sirius?” he thought to ask and pushed himself up on his elbows. He looked around frantically but he didn’t see his godfather.

“Right here, kiddo.” Harry’s head spun around at the voice and he sighed in relief.

“Are you okay?” He was searching his godfather’s body for any sign of a bite.

“I’m fine.” He said and Sirius knelt down beside the green-eyed boy. “Are you okay?” he asked, noticing all the blood soaking his godson’s shirt. He raised alarmed eyes to Snape.

“He’s alright. My father cursed him but Severus gave him his potions, so he’s fine.” explained Draco. Sirius was watching the boy in disbelief.

“Where did you come from?” asked Sirius.

Malfoy sighed. “I followed these two idiots. I heard them talking in the corridor as if no one would hear them. I followed them when I discovered where they were going. It seemed too easy and I thought they might need a little help.” He said and glanced at his prone father being taken from the site. More aurors had finally arrived, although it seemed a little late for that.

“Well, none of you should have left the castle.” scolded Severus. “And, I told you to stay in my quarters until I returned.” he said, addressing Harry.

Harry knew he was in trouble. “I had to check.” he said and gestured towards Sirius. “Where were you anyways?” he asked.

“With Shacklebolt, Harry. We couldn’t find Dillard and had to follow his trail until we did. However, it seems you found him before we could.” He said. Harry could tell all of the men were disappointed in him and it made his heart ache. Remus had trailed over a few moments ago and was watching the scene with crossed arms.

Severus looked Harry square in the eye before he spoke. “You’re grounded.”

Harry had never been grounded before. He didn’t exactly know what it meant but wouldn’t ask until later. He looked down at the ground resigned to his fate.

“We’ll have to contact your parents, Mr. Weasley.”

Ron groaned at the thought. “I’m going to be in so much trouble come summer break.” he said, knowing that was when he’d be punished.

Severus looked at Malfoy for a moment as if considering. “Draco, I’ve taken into consideration your current situation, and seeing as how I’m your godfather, you’re grounded as well.”

Malfoy sputtered incomprehensively for a moment. Then he looked confused. “What’s grounded?” he asked.

Harry finally looked up and met Severus’ eyes. He hoped the man would answer Malfoy’s question so he would know what he was in for when the grounding actually began.

“Neither of you have ever been grounded?” asked Severus, gesturing towards Harry and Draco. Harry sighed. Was it that easy to tell he had no clue?

Both boys shook their heads. “I’ll explain it to you later.” he said. “For now, we need to take care of this mess.”

“Come on boys, I’ll take you back to Hogwarts.” Sirius extended an arm and pulled Harry to his side. Although the potions had really helped, he still felt weak, and leaned gratefully into the older man.

As the four of them were leaving the battleground, Harry looked back and saw three aurors trying to restrain the werewolf-like man. He wondered what they would do with him. Shrugging his shoulders and leaving that burden to the ones capable of handling
it, Harry followed his godfather onto the Knight Bus for the return trip to Hogwarts. He couldn’t help feeling a little bit apprehensive about later tonight when Severus would arrive back to his quarters. Sinking further into Sirius’ side, he drifted in and out of sleep. He couldn’t stay asleep for long, however, due to the bus’ violent movements and his own anxiety. When they finally arrived back at the castle, Sirius sent him to Severus’ quarters and told him to wait there. He said goodbye to Ron and Malfoy and walked down into the deserted dungeons.

Once he arrived in the dungeons he went into his room and sat on his bed. He wondered how long he’d have to wait until Severus arrived. Still exhausted from the day’s events, he lay down on his side and curled into a ball. He fell into a light sleep. A door slamming shut awakened him with a jolt sometime later.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1169