Somewhere I Belong II by shadowarwen
Summary: After Severus gets guardianship of Harry, things get strange. Harry's friend's are worried, the staff is confused, and Harry begins to have horrible visions. Snape becomes very defensive of his charge.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Somewhere I Belong
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 152022 Read: 156552 Published: 16 Mar 2004 Updated: 22 Jul 2005
For Truth and Love by shadowarwen

Harry hesitantly walked into the living room and went directly to Deliverance when she caught his eye. As the older woman took a seat on the couch, Harry decided to take the one next to her. He wasn’t sure how this conversation was going to go, and in the case of it going poorly, he wanted someone there he could depend on. That person used to be Severus. He wasn’t so sure anymore, but he wanted him back.

Severus glared at the woman. “I think Harry and I need to have a private discussion.”

“And I believe it’s up to Harry whether or not he wants this discussion to be private,” she shot back.

Harry was nervous and uncertain, but Deliverance could easily see his desire for her to stay in his eyes.

“Stay,” he said quietly. The old woman almost didn’t hear him, but his silent words reached her keen ears.

“He says I stay. I’m staying.”

Severus sighed. “If that’s what you want, Harry,” he said, allowing it, much to Harry’s relief. He nodded in answer to Snape’s question.

Harry watched as the Potions Master crossed the room and sat in the armchair opposite himself and his grandmother. Severus looked very apprehensive, something Harry was wary of. What was the man going to say?

When it seemed the older man wasn’t going to begin speaking, Harry finally blurted out what had been on his mind for the past two days. “Do you want me, or not?” he asked, a bit harshly. He hadn’t meant to sound so hateful, but he was angry. He was tired of getting the run around. Either Snape was going to accept him or he wasn’t, it was as simple as that. If Severus said no, it would hurt, but he’d live with it.

“Of course I want you,” he answered immediately, much to Harry’s shock. But no more words were forthcoming.

“Then why did you let them take me?” he asked.

“I thought it was for the best,” he answered awkwardly.

“Well, it wasn’t. And you should have asked me what I thought.”

Severus eyes narrowed. “It wasn’t an issue that was to be discussed. I knew it was in your best interest to be taken elsewhere. Obviously, you godfather and Lupin didn’t think the idea out very thoroughly. I assumed they would have somewhere in mind for you to go, not drop you the second they left my chambers. I do apologize for that.”

Harry practically growled. “My life isn’t an issue that can be discussed? I should have had a say. You weren’t the one getting dumped…again!” he yelled, jumping to his feet. “I don’t have to put up with this. It’s obvious you don’t want me anymore. Is that what we needed to talk about? Who you’re going to leave me with? Well, decide already so I can leave!”

Deliverance was on her feet instantly, placing a calming hand on Harry’s shoulder. “This isn’t a fight, gentlemen. Both of you, sit back down,” she instructed, when Severus stood as well, looking faintly alarmed.

“I wasn’t trying to ‘dump’ you, Harry,” replied Severus quietly. “I never intended for you to feel unwanted.”

“Yes you did! I heard you just a moment ago. You may not have intended for it in the beginning, but then you thought it wouldn’t be such a bad thing, didn’t you! You thought I’d grow to hate you and make it easier on you! Well, it’s not going to be so easy, Severus. I don’t care that you locked me in my room, not anymore!” This wasn’t entirely true, but he was willing to do or say anything at this point. “I’ll get over it, you’ll see! Please, I need you, you’re all I’ve got left, don’t give me away. Please?” Harry watched the man’s eyes intently, looking for any sign that he was getting through to him. There had been a flicker of something, he knew it, and Harry wasn’t giving up, not yet.

“I only wanted to protect you, Harry,” Severus said softly.

“You don’t have to!” Harry said vehemently.

“Yes, I do. Which is why I won’t allow Sirius Black and Remus Lupin to follow through with this bloody insane idea. You’re safer with me, make no doubt, and I do promise never to frighten you in such a way again,” he said, his eyes boring into Harry’s. “Do you believe me?”

Harry nodded. “I believe you,” but he found himself wondering if protection was the only reason Severus was still keeping him, but he could work on that. He was just happy Severus wasn’t going to give him away.

Deliverance was giving Snape an odd look, but Severus was completely ignoring her. There was an awkward silence afterwards that made Harry begin to fidget in his seat. No one was talking and Harry still didn’t feel totally wanted by this man. Sighing, he got to his feet and made his way to the door.

“Where are you going?” asked Deliverance, standing as well.

“I think I just need some fresh air,” he told her, casually. He refused to let on just how nervous he was about this situation. Things had changed, and Harry didn’t necessarily like it. He was really beginning to wish Sirius and Remus had never come to visit that day. It had ruined everything he and Severus had worked so hard to achieve. It was like starting from the beginning all over again. He hated it.

“Would you like some company?” she asked, taking a step in his direction.

Harry quickly squashed that notion. “Oh, no, that’s all right. I also need to stop by Gryffindor Tower to get my school bag,” he quickly told her. He felt bad for turning her down, but he truly did want some alone time. And, he wasn’t lying about getting his bag; he did need it.

“Try and be back by seven,” said Severus suddenly, as the door was beginning to shut. Harry held his hand out, stopping the portrait from closing, glancing at Severus curiously. “I thought we could have dinner together this evening, if you don’t mind.”

Harry nodded. “That would be fine.”

“Good.”

He saw Deliverance smiling out of the corner of his eye. Maybe things wouldn’t be so bad, after all.

…………………………………….

He decided to forego the breath of fresh air and went straight to Gryffindor Tower instead. If he didn’t get started on his homework now, he’d never have it finished for tomorrow. In a rush, he blurted out the password and the Fat Lady’s portrait swung open, revealing the busy common room. Suddenly feeling self-conscious, the small Gryffindor tried to skirt past his friends without them noticing. He couldn’t believe how he’d been acting around them earlier. It was embarrassing, letting them see him as distraught as he’d been. He couldn’t believe he’d let his guard down enough to allow them to see him that way.

It seemed he had been lucky, as no one noticed him as he slipped upstairs. He grabbed his bag off the bed, where he’d left it after the disaster in Potions class, and went to his bedside table to grab his History text. It was then that he heard the door quietly close. He hadn’t even heard it open. Harry knew who it was without even turning around, and clasped his bag to his chest tightly. Why did they always have to catch him? His thoughts traveled to the beginning of the year, when his friends had held a sort of intervention when they thought he was being abused.

Slowly turning around, he saw that he’d been right. It was his friends, all gathered at the closed door and looking extremely anxious and worried. “What’s going on, Harry? What happened in Potions today? I’ve never seen you act like that to Snape. He even ended class early, that never happens!” exclaimed Ron, his eyes wide. “Is everything all right?”

Harry sat down on his bed, sighing. “I guess it is now.” He noticed Fred and George stood in front of the door, and wondered if they were blocking it so he wouldn’t be able to escape. Ron and Hermione were slowly making their way towards his bed, acting like he’d flee at any given moment. Harry almost rolled his eyes.

“Did you and Snape have a fight?” asked Fred, a tint of anger showing in his eyes. “Ron told us what happened in class today. Does this have anything to do with what was wrong this morning? Did he upset you?”

Harry groaned. “Why is this your business?” he asked suddenly, feeling his personal life being invaded, even if they were his friends. Which just so happened to be their excuse.

“We’re your friends, Harry. We care about you. If Professor Snape is being harsh with you, then it is our business. No one is going to hurt you ever again,” said Hermione, determinedly, as she took a seat beside him on the bed.

Harry nodded at her excuse. It was plausible, he supposed. He still didn’t want to talk about it, but knew he didn’t really have a choice. They wouldn’t let this go until they had an answer, especially after everything he’d been through in the past year. Even so, he was getting sick of people thinking he wasn’t capable of taking care of himself. He was willing to admit that sometimes he needed help, but he could handle some situations all on his own. He’d done it plenty of times now, hadn’t he?

He fell back on the bed and stared up at the curtains. He didn’t speak, he was thinking of what it was he wanted to say to them. He had to figure out how to explain what had happened without telling them the entire truth. They couldn’t know about him being locked in. Whereas Sirius and Remus hadn’t known about his claustrophobia, his friends did. They would not react well, not at all. But, the longer he thought, the more he realized he’d have to tell them, it wouldn’t make sense otherwise. And, his friends had begun to grow worried at his lack of response.

“Harry?” asked Fred, sitting down on Harry’s other side. He rolled his head in the twin’s direction and raised an eyebrow. “Are you going to tell us what happened?”

Harry nodded his head and sighed. He decided to start from the beginning, with Deliverance being in the Hospital Wing and on her deathbed. How Severus had found her bloodied body and had brought her back to Hogwarts, only to learn she wouldn’t survive the night. His friends were instantly concerned. They hadn’t seen Deliverance and hadn’t had any idea something so horrible had happened to her.

“Oh, Harry. I’m so sorry. I had no idea. Did she not make it? Is that why you and Severus had a falling out?” asked Hermione, placing a loving hand on his shoulder. “I’m sure that would have been difficult on your father.”

Harry cringed at the word. He hadn’t been consciously calling Severus his father since he had thought he was no longer wanted. Now, it just seemed strange to his ears. Nothing felt the same anymore. He sighed sadly. “No, but there’s more,” he told them. “When Severus came home that night, he was distraught,” he explained, wanting his friends to know just how distressed the man had been. He hoped they wouldn’t react quite as badly because of it. “I thought something awful had happened, possibly with you all,” he shushed them when Fred and George patted his leg. Sitting up now, he lowered his eyes to the bedspread. “I wouldn’t let it go, I kept asking what was wrong, even though he kept asking me to let it be.” Harry paused, looking for the words that would make this sound a little less horrible.

Ron grimaced. “I’m sure that didn’t go over well,” he told Harry sympathetically.

“Yeah, I should’ve let it go, but I couldn’t. I was worried,” he shrugged, “I was just asking for something to happen.”

“But what exactly did happen, Harry?” asked George.

Harry looked up then and met each of their eyes. “It was an accident. Do you get that? He was so upset he didn’t even realize what he was doing, he wasn’t in the frame of mind to even understand what had happened,” he explained carefully. Hermione was looking more and more concerned the longer Harry delayed.

“Okay, we get it Harry, it was an accident. But what exactly did this accident entail?” asked Fred, hopping up onto the bed to sit behind him.

Taking in a deep breath, Harry pulled his knees up to his chest and crossed his arms over them. “He sent me to my room, but I wouldn’t go, not until he told me what was wrong. At the time, he was trying to save me from the grief of Deliverance’s condition, but I didn’t know that. Plus, he honestly couldn’t handle the situation himself. I forced his hand, I suppose, and he ended up shutting the door and locking me in, just to keep me away from him. He just didn’t want me to find out the horrifying truth,” he said, gripping his knees so hard it hurt. “Please, don’t think he did it on purpose, because he didn’t! He opened the door after he realized he’d frightened me.”

His friends were eerily silent and Harry groaned audibly. “I shouldn’t have told you,” he said angrily, jumping up from the bed. “It was a sodding accident!” he griped, grabbing his bag off his nightstand and storming towards the door. He never made it though, because someone had grabbed his arm and roughly turned him back around. It was Ron.

“If you say it was an accident, I believe you,” he said, shocking the hell out of Harry. He never would have expected Ron to say that in a million years. “I’m mad as hell at Snape for locking you inside, but if he was that upset, I can understand what he might have been thinking, or rather, not thinking, to accidentally do that. I don’t condone the behavior, but I realize, and so do they,” he said, pointing at Fred, George, and Hermione, all three of them standing by the bed and looking anxious. “that grief can make you do things you wouldn’t normally do.”

Harry nearly collapsed in relief. “You believe it was an accident?” he asked, not ready to believe them yet. He was waiting for the other shoe to drop. The one that had all four of them joining Sirius and Remus’ bandwagon.

“Yes,” they all answered in unison.

“Good,” he dropped his bag on the floor when he saw Hermione coming for him. She wrapped him in her arms once again and Harry felt more comforted than he had in a while, or at least since this entire ordeal began. He saw the Weasley’s all look at each other before looking at the two embraced in a hug. Harry grinned.

“Group hug!” yelled George, and immediately threw his arms around the two of them. Fred and Ron grinned as well before leaping towards them, throwing their arms around the three already in a huddled hug. Harry knew they were all acting like a bunch of idiots because of him, to make him feel better. And to tell the truth, it was kind of nice to be in the middle of this hug, knowing his friends were there for him when others weren’t.

He couldn’t help but dread running into his godfather or Remus Lupin. Not only would they be furious that Severus was determined to keep him in his custody, but Harry was still angry with them for messing everything up. Although, he couldn’t blame them for everything, it had been his fault too. He just didn’t want to admit it.

Ron broke through his thoughts a moment later with another trying question. “So, what happened with Professor Lupin this morning, Harry? You wouldn’t even talk to him,” Ron paused momentarily. “Let me guess, he found out what Snape did somehow, didn’t he?”

Harry nodded. “So did Sirius. Neither one of them were too thrilled. In fact, they decided it was in my best interest to no longer be in Professor Snape’s care. Sirius, as my godfather, has a legal right to take me from Severus if he feels I’m in danger. So, he and Remus made me leave Saturday night…with Snape’s permission!” he yelled, still galled at Severus for handing him over without a fight.

What?!” asked Hermione, shocked.

“Snape just let you go…?” Ron looked shocked himself; he’d seen Snape and Harry interact as father and son. He couldn’t believe Snape would just willingly let his friend go. It didn’t make sense. “Why?”

Harry did roll his eyes this time. “Because he thinks he’ll do it again. He says he’s doing it for my own protection, that he doesn’t want to hurt me again. He just doesn’t get it. He’s hurting me by doing this, keeping me away…but we talked,” he quickly explained before he let his emotions get the better of him. His friends didn’t know that they’d already made up, in a way; by the way he was talking. “and I think things are worked out, but I’m not sure. We’re going to try it again. I’m even supposed to meet him for supper tonight.”

“Well, that’s good, right?” asked George.

Shrugging, Harry looked down at the covers on his bed. “I think so,” he said quietly.

“Nervous?” asked Fred.

Harry nodded. “Yeah, more than nervous. I’m worried now what he thinks about me. And I’m worried about Sirius and Remus. They won’t take this news well,” he confided in his friends.

“I’m sure everything will work out okay, Harry. Sirius and Remus will come around, and if they don’t, that’s they’re own problem. They should see by now just how much you mean to Snape, and how much Snape means to you,” said Ron.

“Maybe you’re right,” Harry wouldn’t get his hopes up, not until he knew things were heading in the right direction. He was still so unsure about the entire situation, things could change in an instant, and he refused to be hurt again. “It’s getting late. I’d better go,” he said distractedly. If he didn’t leave soon, he’d be late for dinner with Severus. He still couldn’t call him father. Not yet.

“We understand, Harry,” a voice spoke softly near his ear. Hermione still clung to his shoulders like a lifeline. “Will you come back afterwards, or do you think Professor Snape will have you spend the night?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I guess if I’m not back by curfew, I’m not coming and I’ll see you tomorrow at breakfast. Otherwise, I’ll see you tonight,” he answered nonchalantly. “I really have to go,” he added when no one seemed willing to move away from the door.

“Oh, sorry, Harry,” as one the group moved away from the door, allowing Harry access.

Grinning, Harry waved them off. He ran down to the dungeons.

…………………

Dinner that night was a quiet affair. Neither spoke for the first half of the meal, making Harry feel more and more apprehensive that this wasn’t going to work out between them. The clang of a fork hitting a porcelain plate was what initially pulled him back from his wandering thoughts. Severus was looking at him seriously, making Harry even more anxious.

“What?” he finally asked when Severus still had his eerily calm eyes set on Harry’s.

“I still consider you my son.” This was said so bluntly and quickly it left Harry speechless.

“You do?” he didn’t dare hope. He’d promised himself he wouldn’t get his hopes up just to have them shattered. He just wouldn’t.

“I apologize for causing you to doubt it,” he continued, meeting his eyes, and Harry couldn’t seem to turn away, not that he wanted to.

With a timid smile, the young Gryffindor nodded, it was all he could manage. Severus watched him warily. “I’ve noticed you no longer call me father.”

Harry flinched. “I’m sorry,” he said, miserably. “I don’t know why…” he trailed off, he did know why. When he’d thought Snape didn’t want him, he couldn’t make himself call him father, not when he wasn’t being one. He’d felt betrayed and alone after his godfather had taken him out of his home, away from the one person who he thought he could trust. The one person he thought of as a father, as a dad, only to have it all blow up in his face in a rather unexpected way.

Sighing, Severus tiredly pulled himself from his seat, banishing the half-eaten dinner with a wave of his wand. “Come into the living room,” he said suddenly. Harry, who was still seated at the empty table, waited until Snape was seated in his favorite chair before going to the couch. He waited for Severus to make the first move.

“I can understand why you wouldn’t,”

Flinching again, Harry sat up straighter in his seat. “Well, I did have a pretty good excuse,” he replied, suddenly feeling defensive. “You didn’t want me, remember?”

“I didn’t not want you,” implored Severus, leaning forward in his seat, giving Harry his full attention. “It was an attempt at protecting you. It obviously wasn’t the best idea. Had I known the negative effect it caused you, I never would have gone in that direction.”

Harry scoffed. “What other direction were you planning on going in?” he asked, incredulous. “Are you still planning on doing something about this? Because nothing needs to be done!”

“Calm down, child. I have no intention of doing anything more. I think I’ve done enough damage in one weekend, thank you,” he replied critically. Harry could see the rising emotions that were normally kept behind a stoic façade coming to the surface. Severus was angry with himself; upset that he had caused his child to feel unwanted and unloved. Harry, a child who had been repeatedly abused in his past didn’t need this kind of emotional trauma, not from his own father. And Severus honestly did love Harry, it was just more difficult to show sometimes, but he intended for the boy to know from here on in.

Harry felt a grin pulling on his face, hard pressed as he was to stop it. “You think we can work this out, then?” he asked.

“I believe we will work this out, Harry,” Severus said, leaning forward to place a hand on Harry’s knee, before leaning back into his chair. “I’ll have a word with Black and Lupin tomorrow morning. I’m sure they’ll put up quite the fuss, but I’ll let them know in no uncertain terms that you are mine and I refuse to give you up.”

These words were spoken with such conviction Harry couldn’t find the energy to doubt them. Whatever had previously died in Harry reared back to life the instant Severus declared he was his. Harry’s nightmare come true was finally ending, it seemed, and he could finally relax.

“Good,” he answered. Standing, Harry hesitantly approached the Potions Professor and before he could change his mind, threw his arms around his neck. He was actually a bit surprised when strong arms wrapped around him almost immediately. It was a quick hug, but Harry was glad he’d done it. He’d sorely missed his father.

………………………………….

It wasn’t uncommon for Harry to hardly ever see Professor Lupin or his godfather. Both were extremely busy men, one with his teaching duties, and the other doing who only knew what for the Order. So, Harry wasn’t very surprised when he saw neither hide nor hair from either man the next day, or the following day for that matter. He was a little bit upset that they hadn’t taken time out of their busy schedules to at least stop by and make sure he was okay. It wasn’t as if they’d popped in one day and ripped his one joy out of his life, was it? They had no reason to come and see him. Harry’s sarcastic and spiteful inner voice was hitting on a truth Harry would rather have ignored.

He had no idea if Severus had ever gone to speak with them, as he hadn’t seen his father since their little chat the previous night. Not only did Severus have end of term exams to make up, but he also had Order duties to deal with as well. Harry could completely understand why he hadn’t seen much of his father, at least he’d tried.

Studying had become more and more stressful as the end of term swiftly came upon them. Harry, Ron, and Hermione spent most of their free time studying in the library, the Common Room, or anywhere else they could find that was relatively quiet. Hermione was ruthless with them when it came to studying. If they had a free moment to spare, they were instantly corralled into the nearest available room to put that time to good use, as she put it. Harry and Ron were both ready to tear their hair out.

It was during one of these study sessions in an empty classroom that Harry finally encountered his godfather for the first time in almost three days.

Harry dropped his quill on the desk and sighed, rubbing his aching forehead.

“I’m done,” he remarked. “Anyone with me?”

Ron was instantly on his feet.

“You two!” yelled Hermione, slamming shut her Arithmancy textbook. “You can’t give up now. OWLs are just a few days away!”

Harry and Ron looked at each other. “We’re taking a break,” they said simultaneously. Hermione couldn’t argue with them, they’d made up their minds. Any attempt at keeping them here would be futile.

The door opened then and Harry, Ron, and Hermione turned to it expectantly. No one really knew they were in here, but it wasn’t against any rule to be studying in a deserted classroom, so long as it wasn’t in use. It was a bit of a surprise for them to see Sirius Black coming through the opened door, and Harry knew a moment of panic at the same instant.

“Sirius,” he said slowly, wondering what the man was doing there. He could venture a guess.

“Harry, I think we’d better talk,” he told him, nodding a greeting to Ron and Hermione.

“Oh, okay,” Harry was a little anxious about talking with his godfather, especially considering he and Remus had been confronted by Deliverance. That woman could be just as frightening as Snape when she wanted to be. He almost felt sorry for Sirius and Remus, but not that much. “I’ll see you two in the Common Room?” he asked, confirming with his friends.

Hermione nodded and Ron slapped him on the back. “See you tonight,” he said happily, walking out the door. Hermione seemed to feel Harry’s anxiety, giving him a concerned look.

“Alright?” she asked. Harry smiled, he was glad she had noticed something was wrong, but it wasn’t anything to worry over.

“I’m fine. Go ahead, Ron will get lost if you don’t,” he joked.

Hermione smiled in return. “See you tonight,” she repeated their friend’s earlier phrase and hurried out the door.

Still smiling to himself, Harry turned to his godfather. The grin slowly slipped off his face at the man’s look. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked, flinching even as he said it. How could he not know what was wrong? Sirius probably was here to take him out of Severus’ custody again. “Did you talk to Deliverance?” he asked, knowing he had.

Sirius looked confused for a moment before nodding. “Well, yes, actually. Did she tell you?”

Harry shook his head. “I overheard her say she’d talked to you,” he added casually. “So?”

“So…she gave Remus and I a bawling out, that’s for sure,” he said, rather heatedly. “I’m not sure I appreciated that,” Sirius walked over to an empty desk and sat down upon it. “Who does she think she is, telling us how to handle you?” he looked directly at Harry as he said those words, and Harry just shrugged his shoulders.

“She says we were the ones hurting you, not Snape!” he nearly spat, and Harry took an involuntary step back, away from his godfather. “We were the ones protecting you, not hurting you. Are you emotionally scarred?” he asked, suddenly, taking Harry off guard.

“What?” he asked, confused. Where was this conversation going?

“She said we were causing you emotional distress and that by taking the course of action we had taken, it would cause you to become scarred, or something like that,” he quickly explained. “Is she right?” he asked quietly, eyeing Harry up and down, as if that would help him to discover the truth or lies behind Deliverance’s words.

Harry shrugged. How should he know? What was Sirius talking about? Better yet, what had Deliverance been talking about? Then, he thought back on her talk with his father two nights prior. Hadn’t she said something about him developing a complex? Yes, she had. He cringed then, not exactly enjoying the feeling he got when he thought of everyone thinking he was vulnerable or weak. He wasn’t an emotional basket case by any means, and it irritated him to no end when everyone seemed to think he was.

“No,” he finally said, his annoyance shining through. “I’m not emotionally scarred!”

Sirius smiled then. “Then I’ve made my case,” he said to himself. Harry wondered what the hell he was talking about.

“What case?”

“Not a real case or anything,” he said quickly, standing up. “But, she really had me worried for a while there. I was afraid you’d be huddled in a corner somewhere, the way she was talking.”

Harry’s ire was quickly fueled at those words. “I was not!” he yelled, even though he knew Sirius didn’t mean the phrase literally.

“Yes, I know you weren’t.” he waved Harry off. “But, this is almost beside the point. I don’t want you with Snape,” he spat Harry’s father’s name as if it was contamination to his tongue.

Harry felt a deep desire to growl. “Don’t say his name like that,” he nearly hissed.

Sirius look surprised. “I thought you agreed with me about him.”

Shaking his head vehemently, Harry said, “I agreed I wasn’t emotionally scarred. I never said anything about my father!”

“He’s not your father, Harry!” Sirius was almost as angry as Harry now, but his words had caused a painful sensation to develop in Harry’s heart. “James Potter is your father, or have you completely forgotten about him?” spoken so quietly Harry had to strain to hear his words, but hear them he did. Any anger Harry had been feeling instantly melted away.

“I didn’t forget him,” he said slowly, but Sirius cut him off.

”Then how can you go around saying things like that, Harry? Don’t you love James at all? He’d roll over in his grave if he knew you were calling Snape ‘father’, Harry!”

The small teen cringed. Would he really? He’d always assumed his real dad wouldn’t really mind so long as Harry was happy. Isn’t that what fathers are supposed to do? “I didn’t even know him,” he said desperately. “I never got the chance,” Harry whispered, appalled to feel his eyes mist over. He roughly wiped his shirtsleeve against his eyes.

“Harry-“ Sirius began, but didn’t get any further.

“I thought you and Remus were okay with Severus being my father?” he interrupted, crossing his arms across his chest. “The three of you talked it out, why are you being like this now?”

“Because he hurt you, Harry!” he yelled, incredulous that Harry would even have to ask. “Why else?”

“But it wasn’t his fault!” the words were nearly screamed, Harry was so completely angry. “Stop ignoring me and listen to what I say! It was an ACCIDENT!”

Sirius slammed his fist down on the desk he’d been sitting on earlier. “It was no accident!”

Harry flinched violently at the anger Sirius was producing right in front of him. The boy had never seen him look so enraged, and it was almost worse to know Sirius was so angry on his behalf.

“I won’t let him hurt you ever again, Harry,” Sirius calmed down at seeing his godson flinch. He wouldn’t scare him, not if he could help it.

“But, he won’t hurt me, Sirius. Don’t you get it? He never meant to do that. He was beside himself with worry over Deliverance. He thought she was going to die. Please, understand. I need him, don’t take him from me,” he silently pleaded. “I can’t lose him too.”

Sirius’ face softened. He scrubbed at his face tiredly. He’d been too rough on the boy and he’d never meant to say anything about James, that had been spiteful and he knew it. The older Gryffindor knew Harry cared deeply for Snape, loath as he was to admit it, and it would kill him to lose another ‘father,’ and he knew in that instant that he was hurting his godson. Sirius had been jealous from the beginning of the growing relationship between Harry and Snape. Why did it have to be Snape?

Sighing, Black quickly enveloped his godson into a tight hug. “I’m sorry I was being such a bastard, Harry. I never meant to upset you,” he said quietly in the boy’s ear. “Forgive me?”

Harry leaned fully into the strong embrace. He really, truly relaxed for the first time in days, nearly sagging as the weight was lifted from his shoulders. He’d been so tired and hadn’t even realized it.

“Harry?” asked Sirius, when no response was forthcoming.

“Hmm?”

“Maybe we should get you to bed,” he stated offhandedly, beginning to drag the child out of the room.

The boy nodded his head in approval. That sounded like a splendid idea. Trying to be helpful, Harry went to step out of the man’s arms and nearly collapsed onto the hard floor. Sirius caught him before he even started to truly fall, pulling the boneless child into his arms. “When was the last time you slept?” asked Sirius as he held his godson protectively in his arms. He knew a moment of guilt when he realized Harry hadn’t been sleeping and had been under a great deal of stress because of what he had done. And it came as quite a shock to realize that Deliverance had been right. Harry was emotionally and physically wrung out. He never should have allowed it to come to this, what had he been thinking? But, he hadn’t been thinking, had he? All he could focus on was it being Snape who was taking care of his godson, and he finally had a reasonable excuse to take Harry from him.

He’d only hurt the boy, some godfather he was turning out to be. Stumbling out of the room, he readjusted his godson in his arms to better carry him. Harry was entirely too light, he hardly weighed anything. He knew this to be from long-term abuse at the hands of the Dursley’s, those bastards.

He was walking down the corridor leading to the Gryffindor Common Room when he heard a noise behind him. Turning slowly in an effort to not rouse his godson, Sirius found himself being stared down by none other than Severus Snape.

“What’s happened?” he asked, stepping closer to get a better look at his son. He looked into Sirius’ eyes and nearly growled. “What did you do?” he asked.

Sirius balked. “I didn’t do a thing!” he almost yelled, but remembered Harry at the last moment. Lowering his voice, he proceeded, “We’d been talking and afterwards he nearly collapsed onto the floor. He’s exhausted, hasn’t gotten nearly enough rest since this whole thing started by the looks of it,” he told Severus calmly.

“What were you speaking about?” he asked, still unconvinced. Harry’s face looked drawn and wary, even in sleep. That wasn’t healthy. They never should have started this, not with Harry.

“Well, we were talking about you, about this situation I dragged him into,” he started, looking a bit drawn himself. “I’ll admit, at first, I was saying some pretty nasty things to him-“

Severus cut him off angrily, “Nasty? What precisely were you saying to him?”

Sirius cringed at his own stupidity. He deserved whatever Snape threw at him for talking to Harry the way he had before. He’d regretted using James against his own son, but had felt Harry slipping away from him and straight into Severus Snape’s arms. He knew Snape cared for Harry, possibly even loved the child, but he loved Harry, too. But, he’d never meant to hurt him like he had. Looking down at the huddled form in his arms, he said, “I used James to make him feel bad about calling you father,” he said slowly, waiting for the explosion to commence.

“You did what?” Severus held his anger at bay in a valiant attempt at keeping Harry from awakening, but it was becoming more and more difficult with the idiot standing in front of him, holding his son. Looking at the boy he couldn’t understand why Black would say something so hateful to his own godson. “How could you?”

“I don’t know, I didn’t mean to say it! It just came out! I never wanted to cause him pain, but it seems that’s all I’ve been doing,” he explained sadly, watching as Harry took in a deep breath and shifted in his arms. Thankfully, he never woke, only rested his head on Sirius’ shoulder and falling deeper into sleep. “I never wanted you to have him,” he told Snape suddenly, causing the other man to raise an eyebrow in reaction.

“Really? I never would have guessed,” he replied, sarcasm heavy in his voice. Sirius’ eyes narrowed, but Snape wasn’t finished. “You could have found a more fitting way to tell your godson that you didn’t like his adoptive father. It wasn’t necessary to attempt underhanded tactics, ones that have blown up in your face, I might add,” he said levelly, desperately wanting to take Harry out of Black’s arms. “I’ve noticed you aren’t throwing insults in my direction. What’s changed?” he asked, truly curious.

“Harry needs you,” he answered simply. “I’m sorry I didn’t see it before. I think I knew, actually, I only didn’t realize just how much he relies on you until tonight. He defended you to the best of his ability, and I’m not going to hurt him further by keeping him from you,” he said softly.

Severus nodded. “Perhaps it would be best if I took Harry to my quarters?” said Snape, not really asking. “I don’t think it would be detrimental to miss a morning of classes if he was able to rest, as he so clearly needs.”

Sirius was reluctant but eventually caved in, handing his godson over to Snape. He was surprised at how gentle the man was with Harry. The boy stirred as he was passed over and glanced up into Snape’s eyes.

“What?” he asked groggily, attempting to stand up, which was rather difficult considering he was in his father’s arms.

“Hush child, go back to sleep,” Severus instructed. Harry nodded and was instantly unaware once more, his head lying prone against his father’s chest.

Sirius had watched the interaction between his godson and his once most hated adversary from his own time at Hogwarts. It was extremely odd seeing the man calm Harry. This was a side of the man he’d never seen and with that thought; he realized he knew very little about the real man behind the mask of Snape.

“Would you mind telling Weasley and Granger where Harry is?” asked Severus. The man turned away without waiting for a response. Then he paused. “You’re welcome to see Harry in my quarters at any time,” he said suddenly, startling the older Gryffindor out of his musing.

“Thank you,” he replied, truly shocked at the invitation.

Snape nodded his head before continuing down the corridor, soon disappearing from sight as he turned the corner. Sirius continued on to Gryffindor Tower with many thoughts flooding his mind. Perhaps Snape wasn’t as horrible as he’d always thought him to be. It was a reassuring thought, considering Harry was now in his care. And Sirius no longer had any plans on taking the boy from Snape. Remus was already against it after the visit from Deliverance, Snape’s cousin. The woman had made both of them feel less than two feet tall. She’d made Remus see sense, but it had taken a heart broken boy and an angry father to turn the light on for Sirius. And he’d never let the light go out again.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1169