Under Lock and Key by Symphonia
Summary: In response to Tilly's 72 Hours Challenge! In an effort to end their differences, Dumbledore locked Snape and Harry into a classroom for 72 hours.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: 72 Hour Challenge
Challenges: 72 Hour Challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 6041 Read: 19094 Published: 24 Jul 2006 Updated: 23 Jan 2007
Unlocked by Symphonia
Author's Notes:
Finally, it's finished. I'm terribly sorry for the long wait. Thank you all for being so patient with me. I hope you like the ending to 'Under Lock and Key.' I do not own any part of Harry Potter.

Snape opened his eyes and found that the sun had already risen. He sat up gingerly rubbing his neck sore from sleeping in an awkward position. Looking around, Snape found that Harry had gotten up as well. Splashing sounds from the portable bathing room indicated where Harry was.

Harry emerged from the bathing room feeling much more awake. The nightmare from the last night had prevented him from getting a sound night’s sleep. Harry quickly moved aside when he saw Snape strolling towards him.

“Good Morning, Professor.” Harry said and was surprised when Snape acknowledged him with a curt nod.

Surprised that there were no snide comments this morning, Harry went to prepare breakfast. As he was making breakfast, Harry wondered how much longer he was going to have to stay here with Snape. It does not seem they were settling any differences at all. According to Dumbledore’s letter, they were not going to get any extra supplies and looking at the remaining boxes, Harry calculated that there was probably enough food to last through today. Harry sighed, they had better be able to come up with something fast.

All through the morning, Snape noticed that the Potter boy was being unusually quiet and the mood was unusually heavy. This was unlike Dumbledore’s Golden Boy, usually he was outspoken. Snape decided that by lunchtime if the Potter boy does not say anything, he was going to make Harry say it.

Harry ran many ideas through his head trying to find the best way to approach the subject with Snape all morning. But unfortunately, all the ideas he had been able to come up would probably be ridiculed by Snape. Harry was so intended on his mind that he was startled when he heard Snape called his name.

“Mr. Potter,” Snape began, “I am surprised that you are actually capable of such concentration. But this aspect does not suit you.”

Harry gritted his teeth and contemplated poisoning his next meal before telling Snape the situation with the food.

Snape waved Harry’s concern aside before replying. “The Headmaster would not allow us to perish in here considering it would defeat the purpose of this endeavor in the first place.” and went back to his lunch.

The rest of the meal, as well as the cleanup, were continued in silence. Snape went back to his book after the cleanup and left Harry to his own devices. But no matter ho hard he tried, Harry cannot seemed to sit still, so instead he got up and wandered listlessly around the room, all the while wondering if his friends missed him and the homework he needed to finish. Frustrated, Harry decided to start dinner a little early and ration their food, just in case.

The sound of cooking preparation roused Snape from his book. He spared a cursory glance at the Potter boy before going back to his book. Snape was not worried about their food condition for he knew that Dumbledore was observing them to make sure that they were ‘settling their differences’. But then again, he was worried about when Dumbledore would let them go. After all, he had brats to teach and there was no one else truly qualified to teach potions in the school at this time.

When Harry brought him the plate of food, Snape noticed that the portion was much smaller, but did not remark on it.

“I’m rationing our food in case Professor Dumbledore decided that our differences have not been sufficiently settled.” Harry explained wryly as he took a seat across from Snape.

“A wise decision, Mr. Potter,” Snape said between bites of food.

After a pause Snape asked “Tell me, Mr. Potter. Do you honestly believe that we could as the Headmaster would say, settle our differences?”

Harry shrugged. “Depends on your definition of settlement, I hate the Dursleys and they hate me. But we stay away from each other as much as possible and that’s our settlement. On the other hand, between you and me, as long as you stop making those snide comments about my dad and Sirius in public and picking on my friends in class, I would consider our differences settled.” Harry looked up at Snape to see a thoughtful look was upon the potion’s master’s face. It looked as if Snape was giving Harry’s conditions some serious thought.

Snape continued to brood over Harry’s words all through dinner and during the clean up. Since last night, he had already established that Harry was not James, no matter how alike they looked. He was also certain that Dumbledore was now watching his every move and Snape realized that now the whole situation was in his hands.

Harry stared out the window at the darkening sky and sighed. He glanced at his watch and was surprised that it had been almost 72 hours since Dumbledore locked him in the same room as Severus Snape.

‘They should put this down for a world record.’ Harry thought absentmindedly as he glanced over at Snape.

Since that early dinner, Snape had just sat in his chair and closed his eyes, completely ignoring Harry. Although Harry had wondered what was going on in Snape’s mind, he was eager to find out the truth. Harry turned back to the window and continued to look at how the moonlight cast a silvery glow on the school grounds when he caught movement out of the corner of his eye.

He quickly spun around to see Snape walked determinedly to the door and stood in front of the door with his arms crossed.

“You win, Headmaster.” Snape snarled. “Now would you please let us out?”

Snape knew the Potter boy and Dumbledore were watching his every move. Seeing that there was still no sign about the door opening even after announcing his defeat, he knew what else he must do. Snape gritted his teeth, he should have known that it would not be that easy to gain his freedom.

“Mr. Potter,” Snape said covering his eyes with his hand. “You are not allowed to die from a heart attack or shock at what you are about to hear. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Professor,” Harry said meekly utterly confused about what Snape had meant by not allow to die but did not want to ask.

“Alright Headmaster, I will admit that I have been prejudiced against Harry Potter because of his father.” Snape muttered darkly. “Harry is not James. They may look alike, but they are two different people.”

“Ah, what was that again, Severus? I’m sorry I didn’t quite catch that lovely speech of yours.” Dumbledore said appearing at the front of the class with Fawkes on his shoulder. “I’m getting old and my hearing is not quite as good as before. So would you mind repeating it again?” His eyes twinkling.

Snape just stood there, his eyes fixated on the Headmaster, his knuckles cracking as he clench and unclench his fists. Seeing that Snape was about to strangle Dumbledore, Harry spoke up. “Uh Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape and I have come to an ..” Harry looked at Snape and gulped before continuing, “an understanding. So could we just leave it at that?”

“Well, in that case then…” Dumbledore waved his wand and the door creaked open slightly. “You are free to leave.” and vanished along with Fawkes.

Snape and Harry looked at the open door and at each other before proceeding carefully to the door. With a nod, Snape grasped the doorknob and pull the door open. Both student and teacher stuck their heads out slowly and look down the corridor to make sure that Dumbledore was indeed releasing them.

Seeing that everything appeared to be normal, Harry and Snape nodded at each other. For the first time since they have met each other, they took a deep breath together with one hand on the doorframe and gingerly set one foot into the corridor. Letting out a sigh of relief, Snape and Harry removed the rest of their body from their prison.

Standing the corridor, Harry couldn’t wait to go back to his dormitory, but just as he was about to walk away, he felt a hand clasped down on his shoulder. Turning his head, he knew it was Snape.

“Just because we have settled our differences, Mr. Potter, it does not mean I am going to let you off any easier. I expect you to hand in your essay by tomorrow, just as the same as everyone.”

Harry felt anger immediately surge up inside him and was about to deliver Snape a piece of his mind when he was stopped by Snape.

“However, I will take into account that you were indisposed these past few days, therefore instead of 3 feet of parchment, you may hand it 2.”

Harry’s eyes widen in surprise, “Thanks Professor…”

“But do not expect any changes in the way I treat you or anyone in my class. After all, I have an image to maintain.” With that said, Snape turned his back and headed towards the dungeons, leaving a surprised Harry in the corridor.

***

“Did I just hear Severus make allowances for a Gryffindor, and Harry Potter no less?” an astounded Professor McGonagall asked.

“Surprising isn’t it, Minerva? How people can change so quickly when they are under lock and key.” Dumbledore remarked as he placed the tip of his wand on his temple and drew out a silvery strand and placed it in the pensieve to preserve this particular memory. Maybe, he will show it to Snape the next time he comes to see him.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1183