Eight by Lily Elizabeth Snape
Past Featured StorySummary: Harry is eight years old and is sent to live with Snape. Will Snape ever lighten up enough to notice Harry's problems? Abused!Harry, Guardian!Severus, No slash.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 37901 Read: 305304 Published: 20 Aug 2006 Updated: 13 Aug 2009
Chapter Thirteen by Lily Elizabeth Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I own none of the Harry Potter ideas or characters or plots, or anything else thought up by the amazing author of the series. I’m making no profit of any kind from this story.

Waking was more like a dream, a pleasanter dream than ever I’d experienced. Covers tucked tightly round me, I was quite warm and relaxed. In this bed, in clean, fitted nightclothes, I felt like I just might be that prince I’d envisioned mere days ago. The last thing I remembered was the pub, being pleasantly full and tired and sweaty. My Snape must've carried me home and put me to bed! How I wished I could have that recollection, to be trotted home just like somebody’s real son. But would he be cross with me in the morning? I tried not to worry.

I had every intention of getting up and starting chores, but since it was quite clearly still the middle of the night I allowed myself to doze.

“Wake up, child.”

Oh, no! It was very bright outside now, I was surely late! He didn’t sound annoyed. Well, not any more than I was learning was usual for my godfather. My shoulders dropped a bit from their fear-induced clench.

“Take a bath and get dressed. We’re going on a bit of an outing today.”

“Yes, sir.” I jumped up, braving the dizzy sway that affronted me. Luckily, getting a lightning-quick start in the morning was not something to which I was unaccustomed.

After washing up, my glasses went flying as I bumped into him coming out of the lavatory. He’d set them gently on my face before I could even apologize.

“Why are you shivering so, Harry?” He’d narrowed his gaze at me, actually looking at me again. Why was he taking such an interest all of a sudden? I really had no idea what would set him off, induce fury, like I had with Aunt and Uncle. Quite an unsettling realization, that was.

“I’m –” I stopped myself. I did recall apologizing had recently angered him.

Trying again, I began, “It’s from the bath, sir. I’ll try to stop straightaway.”

I fished my hands out of the ape-like shirt sleeves and clasped them to my concave stomach, sucked my lips in between teeth to stop the chattering. Would that do it?

………………………………………………………

“From the bath? You weren’t in there long enough for the water to go cold. Are you ill?”

That’s just what I needed, a sickly little charge. Children were invariably whiny, needy, snotty little things during illness. ‘I wasn’t. I wouldn’t have dared. Harry would probably be much the same . . .’

“I – I’m not ill, sir.”

The hesitation. There was something he wasn’t telling me.

“But . . .” I waited for him to fill in the blank. He did not. ‘How exasperating!’

“Well, go on, child!” I snapped.

That got his attention, although not in the way I would have preferred. ‘It’s too early for this. I’ve not even had tea!’

“I didn’t, I mean, I wouldn’t use the hot water, sir.”

Ah. This was starting to make sense. I edged into the loo; the porcelain was frigid. He was also wearing those ghastly hand-me-down rags again. I stoppered the tub and ran warm water, casting a heating charm on the tiny room.

“Do you like the clothing you’re wearing, Harry?”

………………………………………………………

What should I say? It would be stupid to say I did; he shouldn’t believe it. But I still might be in trouble for the truth . . .

I bit my lip, chewing it as I said quietly, “No, sir.”

“After your nice, warm bath, we’ll throw them out or – better yet – burn them. You’ll only wear your new clothes from now on. I assume that will be suitable.”

“Yes, sir!” I exclaimed too loudly. He didn’t notice; whew! “Thank you, sir,” I added, carefully subdued.

He was testing the water, swishing it and making little waves in the claw-footed bath. ‘Someone is drawing me a bath? A bath, for Prince Harry!’

“Were you permitted to use the hot water with the muggles?” he asked low, eyes trained on the spigot.

“For dishes, laundry, and cooking I was. Not for bathing, sir.” Would he disallow it, then? ‘Please, oh, please let me feel that warmth, just once.’

When he looked back up his eyes were flashing; I stepped back, stumbling against the door jamb.

“Never take a cold bath again. I’ll run the water for you until you’ve grown accustomed to it. Don’t want you burning yourself.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.” I was beginning to feel like a broken record. No one had ever talked to me this much. He’d blanched when I answered, but what else would be a proper response? Maybe he was upset I was looking at him so much. I made a mental note to keep my eyes on the floor. I don’t know why I’d gotten out of the habit as of late. ‘Bad Harry!’

After bidding me to check the water to be certain the temperature was comfortable, he let me alone with a new change of clothes and a fluffy olive flannel. I got into the water slowly, the quaking in my limbs disappearing wonderfully. I relished this new joy. Who’d have thought there were so many ways to be cuddled? My Snape had shown me every one, between what he’d given me and the kind people he’d introduced me to.

This is better than being a prince! This is being loved.’

………………………………………………………

One would expect the little one to stay in the bath forever and a day, but he did not. That I was thankful for, as we’d a full day ahead. I was itching to get my hands, or, rather, set my wand on those ignorant muggles. I’d not slept at all the night prior plotting and planning. My punishment would be innovative, and not a little bit demanding on my particular skills. It would rip their lives apart, as they had Harry’s. I surmised a Saturday morning would be the perfect time to strike, with the entire family most likely home.

It was a lovely, albeit breezy, warm day as we arrived at the gates outside Hogwarts. Even the Whomping Willow looked satisfied. But the child at my side was shaking as though it might be a winter’s night.

“Harry, we’ll have breakfast in my chambers. Then you’ll stay with Poppy for a bit while I take care of . . . some business. It shouldn’t take long.” I used my best reassuring voice, but I was definitely not accustomed to coddling a small child. Usually, I aimed to frighten them instead.

As if it were an instinct I’d always had, I reached my hand down to grasp his. It was that way we walked, hand in hand, up to the colossal gates to the only place I’d ever called a true home.

………………………………………………………

I hoped and hoped we wouldn’t see Headmaster Dumblesdore. Would he take me away while my Snape was gone? ‘The Poppy lady won’t let him!’ But he was her boss, and even though she’d scolded him, I’d the feeling she couldn’t outright disobey him.

I wasn’t surprised as my godfather led me downstairs to the underground part of the castle. Somehow the dungeons seemed to suit him. He’d fitted me with the same type robe as at the wizard pub, and my mind busied itself imagining I was a caped superhero.

One glorious spring day at school, one of the boys in my form had thrown away a tattered comic book – Batman. I hoarded it until lunch, and hid under a tunnel during our midday break. I tried to memorize it the best I could so I’d have an extra special something to think about in my cupboard. I recall I’s being punished at the time, so I would spend many long hours there in the next several days. At that memory I shuddered and took my mind back to the new surroundings.

Then an excruciatingly disturbing thought hit me. Where would I stay during the school year? Certainly I couldn’t live at Spinner’s End alone, could I?

“Blurry!” Snape yelled. I fought the urge to hide under the sofa table. Not two seconds later a fascinating, yet highly odd, creature appeared after a loud snap. It had great, bat-wing ears as long as my arms, and it was green! Like an alien! Its fingers looked as if they could be off a zombie, and its clothes were something I might have worn previously as a gardening shirt.

“Yes, Professor Snape, sirs?” it squeaked.

“Blurry, bring Harry and myself breakfast. Whatever suits.”

“Blurry brings it right away, Professor Snape, sirs.”

With another deafening pop he vanished. I was trying to calm my breathing. If my Snape wasn’t bothered by this . . . thing, I shouldn’t be either. My guardian rounded on me, though, a concerned look on his face. Again, the little voice in my head hollowly stage-whispered, “Why does he care? You don’t matter!” I told it to hush.

………………………………………………………

“Harry, what’s the matter?”

If the child was going to have a fit every time we came to Hogwarts . . . well, I don’t know what I would’ve done, but it would not have been a pleasant situation.

Then I noticed he was fixated on the spot my favorite house elf had disapparated.

“House elves are not the most handsome of creatures, but are perfectly harmless, I assure you.”

He seemed to have picked up my trademark ‘curt nod;’ and utilized it once his focus drifted back to reality from somewhere in outer space.

I merely shook my head as Blurry came bringing trays that held the food that suited our appetites at the moment; Harry and I’d both come up with very lightly buttered toast. To drink he had milk while mine was strong, Turkish coffee.

Shortly we were climbing flights upon flights of stony steps, headed to the infirmary. Much to my chagrin, Minerva happened to be up from breakfast as we neared the final passage.

She called after us, “My goodness, Severus! I was not informed you would be in the castle today!”

She crouched down nimbly to get a good look at Harry. ‘Damned, ruddy cat!’ He recoiled a bit, and I had an inkling that he should run to me, look to me for support at least. He did not. He seemed to catch himself inching back, and it was as if a spirit had taken his body under tight control. He stood up straight but, at the same time, let his head slump a bit. He was also holding his breath.

Minerva went on as though he was behaving perfectly normally.

“He looks the spitting image of James, doesn’t he, Severus? Except he has –”

“Lily’s eyes. I’ve noticed.” I spat those words as much as I ever could an utterance containing the name of my . . . my Lily. The tabby was irritating me quite quickly this morning. I did not have the time for this Gryffindor foolishness!

………………………………………………………

She said I looked like James. She was tall, and old, and stern looking. She was much too close for comfort; however, since it was clear she knew my godfather and he knew her, I couldn’t be rude. Especially not after I’d made a fool of myself with that elf-thingy. I made myself be still.

But she said I looked just like that name Mister Professor Snape had called me right before he hit me. He was so angry then!

I don’t want to think about that. I won’t think about that right now!’

What else had just been said? Oh, yes, the Snape man had also acknowledged my eyes were like a lily . . . no, a woman named Lily. She’d been mentioned before . . .

She must have been my mother! Of course! And James was my father. I knew their names! And there was so much in knowing someone’s name. James and Lily. Lily and James. Mr. and Mrs. James Potter.

The Potter family!

But that was all gone. ‘Now it’s just me, just Harry. That’s all there will ever be.’

………………………………………………………

“Where were you headed with him, Severus?”

Why hadn’t she spoken to the boy? He was not an infant! Probably best she hadn’t, as unpredictable as he was. Minerva was not known for embodying all that is motherly.

“Up to the infirmary.” I began to guide Harry past her, up the steps, but she countered.

“He’s not ill, is he? Or hurt? What exactly did you do to him, Severus Tobias Snape?”

Yes, the shrillness she’d used on me as a schoolboy remained robust as she started a vigorous rant. In light of Harry’s skittishness, the great grey witch was spared gallons of richly-deserved venom.

“We are not visiting the infirmary about his health, Minerva,” I seethed through tightly clenched teeth, barely above a whisper. “Poppy will be watching the b –” I caught myself. “. . .child while I see to a rather important engagement.”

“Poppy? She left for Hogsmeade not quarter of an hour ago. But I’d love to spend some time with Harry. After all, in a few years I’ll be his head of house. Wouldn’t you like him to get a head start?”

So very, very many noxious, malevolent retorts flew to the tip of my tongue. At precisely that moment, like a harbinger of muggle terror, the grand, mystical clock began to strike. Eleven. Did I want this enticing, yet taxing, ordeal over with today? Did I want to put it behind me and, in so doing, free more of my hesitant soul for this needy little being?

I looked at him. He would be fine. After all, what could happen in an hour?

“Harry?”

“Yes, sir?” He sounded so small. He was small but he sounded, well, pathetically so.

The sooner I leave, the sooner I’ll be back!’

“Will you be all right, staying with Minerva? She’s another teacher at this school. She works with Poppy and myself.”

“Yes, sir,” he immediately responded, looking at the bloody floor.

“It is polite to look at someone as you speak to them, child!”

His eyes snapped to mine, then quickly to my mouth.

“I’m sorry, sir!”

Blast my quick temper! He was startled. But what had caused that strange reaction – to only flash eyes at mine before averting them again? And his manner of speech, reciting ‘sir’ as often as most children laughed, had to go. He spoke so formally one would think every adult within his circle was a member of the royal family. So many issues to be discovered, to be worked through.

An exasperated sigh escaped my lips before I managed to feign placidity.

“You needn’t apologize, Harry. Just be a good boy and I’ll be back in less than an hour.”

“Yes, sir.”

He was so eager.

So lost.

The End.
End Notes:

I haven't begged for reviews in a while, but I figured since this is an extra-long chappy for me, I'd hassle you a bit.

Please review.

Come on - you know you want to!

;)

Lily



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1199