At Peace With One's Self by DesolateDenial
Summary: War has destroyed the ministry, Dumbledore's mind is no longer reliable, Harry is tired of war and Snape must decide if it will end.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer, 7th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 750 Read: 2087 Published: 01 Sep 2006 Updated: 01 Sep 2006
Story Notes:

Please excuse the mispellings, I currently have nothing but a simple WordPad on my comp. I know there are mistakes and may or may not get to fixing them. Please bear with me. I guess I am supposed to put a disclaimer- I do not own. -there. There is also a slight Ooc.

1. At Peace With One's Self by DesolateDenial

At Peace With One's Self by DesolateDenial

There wasn't time for this. He, Professor Severus Snape, potions master and teacher did not have time to chase a wayward Potter around the school like some nanny. There were potions to brew, reports to write, a new school term to be prepared for and the most important was a 'Master' to betray. Of which master he was to betray was not yet clear to him. Really, that depended on Potter. Again, something he was sure Potter would not get right.

He nearly kicked Ms. Norris as he passed the hissing cat, but that would only take longer. He was not adverse to a certain level of cruelty to that certian animal. The pest certianly had gotten in his way more often than he liked, as did her master. The Halls were alight with weak flames dancing on torches and moonlight. Hogwarts was eirily quiet in the summer, not that Snape minded much of course. This just meant that the portraits had no gossip without student soursce. Except this particular summer, Snape thought with renewed irritation.

Upon reaching the astronamy tower, he paused. The faint scent of cigarettes wafted gently in the breeze dow the stairs. Snape was not so ignorant as some may think about muggles and their drugs and whatnot. He climed the last stair silently, but not silently enough as he was met with Potter's voice even as his back was turned against his profassor.

"Why do you bother, Snape?"

There was a pause. "Excuse me? It would do you good to show respect to your professor, Potter."

Potter continued as if he had not heard a word. "I am not going to jump off of a tower, I have already assured you and Dumbledore of that when I got here. Yet you chase me down with a snap of Dumbledore's fingers. Don't you have better things to do than torment my already miserable existance." He said sarcastically with a dramatic sigh.

Certainly not the Potter he knew for the last 6 years. Snape stood there with his arms over his chest and said nothing. So Potter stood to face him, climbing onto the ledge. He flicked the burning fag away and Snape barely contained his nervousness at watching Potter lean slightly over to watch it dissapear to the darkness below.

"Long way down." He commented to the air as he looked back at Snape.

"And I have half a mind to push you over. Don't tempt me."

"And the other half?"

"Want's you to get rid of Voldemort already, like everyone else."

"Somehow, I thought you would be different."

"Who are you to say if I am or am not?"

"Why, didn't you hear? I am the Boy-Who-Lived, the Savior! Really I think you'd be better bowing down to me than to that mad man who calls himself a Lord."

"And somehow, I thought you were trying to proove yourself different, Potter."

"Who are you to say if I am or not?"

There was a silence neither awkward nor comfortable, just there.

"I don't have time for this, Potter. You can contemplate your troubles, woes and madness inside the blasted walls of the castle."

"I could." Harry answered simply and jumped down. Snape followed him down the stairs and back into the halls of the seventh floor. "Next time, take me to Him."

Snape stopped abruptly. "...What?"

"Dumbledore doesn't know what he is doing anymore. The ministry is in shambles, the current minister is reluctant to be in his position, and I am tired. Take me to him. Either I live, or I shall die, which means I can run afterwards and be left alone, or I will be at peace in my grave." Harry Potter walked away.

There was nothing to say to that. The walk to his dungeons was slow and the halls, ghosts and pictures alike made not a sound. Severus Snape sat at his desk for hours until he felt his mark burn. He had not told the Headmaster, who was at his wits end. Snape could not believe how the world was suddenly settled upon his shoulders. A choice not easily made. Potter was powerful. Potter could kill Him. He was also stupid, but prone to fits of random luck. Or Potter could simply be killed by Voldemort.

But, what does it matter when I have a foothold in both the light and dark? A victory. A loss. Snape would be welcome on both sides. And suddenly it wasn't such a hard choice to make. Severus would survive either way.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1202