What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157758 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
A Scar you Cannot See by Leggylover03

Harry opened his eyes to find he was somewhere in a clearing in the middle of the woods, but these were not the woods near his home, nor the woods near Hogwarts; this was somewhere new and creepy. Clutching his father's hand tightly, he started towards the other men all walking with their children.

Severus caught up with Lucius and took his customary place in the circle of Death Eaters. He could feel Harry's sweaty palm in his and knew it was only the beginning of the horrors the child would see. Inwardly Severus hoped it would be a meeting just to see the children and then they would be dismissed, but deep down he knew this to not be true. Voldemort never gave up the opportunity to torture someone, even his devout servants.

Harry waited patiently beside his father. He wanted to ask questions, but thought better of it. When he glanced to his right, he saw Draco, whose head was held high with no look of fear in his eyes, but when he looked to his left he saw a cowering boy not much older than he was. The boy was maybe eight and had tears rolling down his face. Harry was about to talk to the boy when there came a hush over the crowd. When he looked up he could see his father had put on his mask, and when he looked back he saw red glowing eyes coming towards them.

"My loyal servants, I see you have come and brought forth your children. Lucius, step forward and present me with your son."

Lucius Malfoy stepped foward from the circle of Death Eaters, and Draco walked with him. If Draco was afraid, he did not show it.

"You have cunning in you, that will serve us well, young Malfoy. Tell me what is it you wish to do when you grow up?"

"I wish to rid the world of Mudbloods and all those who are not pure, My Lord."

"Lucius, you are raising a fine wizard, one that will help us when he is of age."

Lucius beamed with pride and then took his place back in line as other children were called forward. A few of the children were given praise, but Harry watched as three fainted at the Dark Lord's feet. Those children were hastily picked up by their parents and dragged back to the circle. No comfort given, only glares of disgust at their weakness. Harry was watching as one child's father slapped his son when he heard the dreaded voice.

"Severus, my little snake, bring me your son."

Severus squeezed Harry's hand slightly and walked forward. He knelt before the Dark Lord, and Harry, not knowing what else to do, knelt down with him. When they stood again, Harry came face to face with the Dark Lord.

His eyes were red orbs of malice, his breath a putrid smell that sent waves of nausea throughout Harry, and his skin hung from his body like that of the zombies Harry had seen in pictures. Harry wanted to turn away, but his face was grabbed by a bony hand.

"Severus, tell me again how it is I did not know you had a son until now?"

Severus stepped forward and knelt again, kissing the hem of the Dark Lord's robes.

"His mother and I met in Wales. When she found out I served you, she was going to Dumbledore. I had to kill her, and I took the boy."

"She was pureblood, yes?"

"I would not defile myself with anything less, and had I found out otherwise I would have killed the child immediately."

"He looks like you, Severus -- your hair, your bone structure, but his eyes are not yours."

"Those were his mother's."

"He will make a fine addition to our ranks one day."

Harry's stomach was churning, his hand that had held his father's so tightly before now was balled into a fist. He wanted to cry out, wanted to run as far away as possible, but he did not wish to disobey his father. He was so caught up in his thoughts he did not notice the Dark Lord grab his father until he felt the uneasy feeling of standing there alone.

"Severus, your loyalties have been questioned; tell me now, who do you serve?"

Harry never heard the answer as his mind whirled with anger and fright. His father! Someone, no, something had his father and wished to harm him. He did not mean for it to happen, but soon he saw Death Eaters running for cover as the ball of light flew from him and hit the Dark Lord squarely in the chest, causing him to momentarily loose his grip on Severus. That was all Harry needed to be at his father's side.

"Daddy?" he questioned, but Severus silenced him with a look.

"Severus, your son shows great power already. I commend you on teaching him well, now let me show him what true power can do."

Severus grabbed Harry by the hand and dragged him back to the circle of Death Eaters just as a young man was dragged into the circle and dropped.

"This, my servants, is a man unworthy of his life. True his mother was a witch, but his father was born in a Muggle house. Let us show our children how they should deal with those who are not pureblood."

Harry watched in horror as the man was hexed time after time. The man begged for them to end his life, begged for any kind of mercy, but they showed him none. Harry wondered if this was how all pureblood wizards were supposed to act -- hating Muggles, torturing them until they screamed. He did not want to be pureblood. He didn't want to join the Dark Lord, but his father kept his eyes on the man.

The man knelt before Crabbe and begged for his mercy, but all he got was a broken jaw. When he tried to mumble for his death to Lucius, blood poured from his mouth. The wails of agony as a bone breaking curse was administered, and finally Harry saw nothing but the cold dead eyes of the man staring back at him. This is what is was all about? Death? Those eyes were haunting him, leaving some scar on his innocence that could never be washed away, and Harry, even at five years old, put up a wall where the bad images could not harm him. When Severus grabbed his hand to apparate back, he was no longer the care-free five year old from the day before; he was an empty shell. This was a scar not visible to the naked eye; this one was buried deep down, and no charm could take away the hurt.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207