What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157766 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
Give His Pain to Me by Leggylover03

Severus apparated straight to the place Lucius had given him and opened the door. Inside the house smelled dank, like it had been closed off for many years. It smelled of mold and mildew and other things Severus did not wish to think on. Seeing a light up ahead Severus opened the door and found Voldemort standing over a cauldron.

"My Lord," Severus said, kneeling before him, kissing the hem of his robes.

"Severusss, how good of you to join me. Lucius said you were without merit to me and I should do away with you, but I told him I needed you for my potions."

"Thank you my Lord. It pleases me to serve you in any manner that I can."

"Severusss, I need a potion to poison my enemies, but I do not wish them to die so quickly, no, I wish them to suffer."

"If it pleases you then I shall make it."

Severus set about brewing the potion, mixing herbs an ingredients as only his skilled hands could do, all the while being watched over by his most hated enemy.

Harry waited for more than an hour before he fire called Ron. He waited and just as he was about to step through the flames to see if Ron had heard him Ron poked his head through the fire.

"Sorry mate but mum and dad have gone out. I'm here with Fred and George."

"Can you come through for a few minutes?" Harry asked.

Harry stepped back and not only Ron but also Fred stepped through the fireplace and behind him George.

"They say I will get into too much trouble on my own," Ron groaned, staring at his brothers.

"Don't blame us. Mum told us to watch you, and to make sure you didn't get hurt. Now what kind of brothers would we be if we let you come alone?" George smirked.

Harry sat down and played a game of wizard's chess with Ron hoping it would take his mind off his father. He was staring at the chessboard hoping to find a way to keep Ron from taking his bishop when Fred picked up the book he had been reading. Ron took Harry's bishop and was about to take his knight when Fred sucked in a breath.

Curious as to what it was Harry looked over.

"Just what kind of stuff does that man let you read Harry?"

"What do you mean?" Harry said, forgetting the chess game and walking over.

"What do I mean?" Fred said. "Just look at this book they have spells to maim, to kill, and even one to burn someone alive."

Harry gulped at hearing what Fred was saying. When he had the book open his mind had been elsewhere and he hadn't really absorbed much of it if any.

"Look they even have a spell that makes you feel whatever someone else feels."

"Why in the world would you want someone else's pain?" Ron asked him.

"Who knows what fancied wizards back then. Maybe they got their jollies from it," Fred said, tossing the book down on the table. the page open to the empathy spell he had spoken of.

"Well, Harry we have to be getting home now. If mum comes back and finds us gone we will be grounded for a month."

Harry didn't want them to go, but he also didn't want them to get into any trouble because of him. Thanking them he watched as each one flooed back to The Burrow and flopped down on the couch. The book he had tossed down now seemed a bit more interesting and he picked it up. The spell seemed easy, even to Harry's seven year old mind. He wondered like Fred why wizards would want to feel someone else's pain. Yawning, Harry got up to get himself a cup of tea when the pain hit him.

Agonizing pain shot across his head. Harry moaned and in a flash Lucy was at his side.

"Is Master Harry in need of something?" the house elf asked leaning over the now groaning child.

Lucy saw that Harry's face was contorted in pain and she began to panic. "Master Harry is needing some help!" she screamed. "I will be getting you some help. Lucy is a good elf and Lucy will not be letting Master Harry hurt."

Harry shook himself, the pain blinding him, making him retch on the floor. "Lucy no!" he yelled. "I will be all right. Don't get anyone," he mumbled.

Lucy came back over handing Harry a wet cloth, But Master Harry is sick and he is needing someone to help him."

Just as Lucy went to get help Harry grabbed her leg. "I am fine Lucy, honest. I do not need any help and please do not tell anyone," Harry begged, still holding his head to keep the stabbing pains away. He wanted to move but his legs felt like someone was sticking them with hot pokers, his arms like lead.

Lucy stopped her movement towards the floo, but she wrung her hands. "Master Severus will be displeased with Lucy for this. He will punish Lucy by giving her clothes."

"No Lucy I won't tell him. Just help me to the couch and I will be fine."

Lucy helped Harry to the couch but before she could step away Harry grabbed her arm.

"Promise you won't say anything Lucy, promise me you won't speak of this to anyone."

Lucy's eyes filled with tears but she promised. Harry waited for her to go back to the kitchens to let out the groan. He knew what the pain was he had felt it for years now. Voldemort was mad, and he was punishing one of his servants, Harry only hoped it wasn't his father.

Severus finished the potion and pulled it off the fire to let it cool.

"Severussss, you do wonderful work. This is why I keep you around, but your loyalty has been questioned, and for that I must know the truth."

Severus waited as the Dark Lord probed his mind, searching for anything he could find to use against him, but he almost sighed when Voldemort spoke again.

"I can still see the hatred for the muggles in your mind, and yet you displease me. I have asked you time and time again to get me into Hogwarts and you cannot seem to do this one thing for me. For that you must be punished. Crucio!" Voldemort yelled, watching with glee as Severus writhed in pain. He grew tired after only a few minutes when Severus would not yell out and released him.

"Do not anger me again my little snake. There shall be a meeting this weekend. We shall rid the town of Enfield of the muggles who reside there. Do not be late to my call again."

Severus kissed the hems of Voldemort's robes. "I shall not dishonor you again My Lord."

The front door opened and Severus stumbled in. His body ached, his head throbbed and all he could think of was checking on Harry. He stumbled past the kitchen and as he was turning to go down the hall to Harry's room he spotted the boy on the couch, curled in a ball. Severus leaned down to cover him, the pain making him dizzy for a moment.

Harry looked cold, so cold in fact that Severus called Lucy to light a fire, his own hands to unsteady to do it. Lucy came and lit the fire and then stared down at Harry and then to Severus.

"Is sir in need of the potion?" she asked.

"Yes Lucy, if you would go and get it I will be in my bedroom in just a moment."

Severus looking down at Harry whom he thought sleeping and saw him tremble. Taking the covers off the back of the couch he covered him up and felt his hands to see if they felt cold. Harry's hand felt warm to the touch and with the fire roaring Severus stumbled to his feet and to his room. He didn't have the strength to get undressed and flopped down on the bed.

He laid there willing the pain in his head to go away when he heard the door to his room creak open. Lucy walked over to the bed and placed the vial next to him and started to walk out.

"Lucy." Severus called. "Did everything go well here tonight? Were there any problems?"

Lucy gulped down wringing her hands again. "No Master Severus, everything was just wonderful here, Lucy was making sure of it."

Severus groaned and laid back down. is whole body hurt, every inch, a lasting remnant of the Crutius curse. Reaching over to his nightstand he grabbed the vial and downed it. It would not heal him completely, but it would help him enough to where he could fall asleep and that is what he did.

Harry awoke and found himself on the couch covered up with a blanket but didn't remember grabbing it when he went to sleep. Knowing the only other explanation was that his father was home Harry tiptoed down the hall to his room and pushed the door open very quietly.

Harry didn't want to disturb him but he had to make sure his father was all right. When he finally got to the edge of the bed he looked at the man he called Dad tangled up in the covers, his face scrunched up as if in pain. Harry knew then that his father had been the one to suffer from Voldemort's hand.

Harry wanted to help him but he didn't know enough about potions to brew him one. Harry was scared. If his father died who would take care of him? Harry knew the answer to his problems. As quietly as he could he reached into his father's robes and pulled out his wand. Harry knew he would have to return it before he woke up or suffer the questions Severus was sure to ask.

Making his way back to the sitting room Harry pulled open he book. He flipped through the pages until he found the one Fred had been looking at. The Empathy spell did not seem to difficult Harry thought. With a flick of his father's wand Harry spoke the words, Tribuo suus poena volo.

Harry waited thinking the spell did not work until he saw the blue glow circle him, and then he felt the nagging headache return. Clutching his head Harry sat down to keep from falling. He was dizzy now, but not to the point of being sick like before. His arms and legs hurt but the pain was like when he chased Ron around the Quidditch pitch. Knowing he needed to return his father's wand, Harry snuck back down the hall and into his room.

His father seemed to be resting peacefully now. No longer did clinch the sheets in his hand and his brow was no longer scrunched up. Now he was curled up with his hands tucked under the pillow, snoring lightly. Harry didn't think he could reach his pocket without waking him so he laid the wand on the nightstand, and went to crawl into his own bed.

He didn't bother to get into his nightclothes, he just wanted to sleep. Harry didn't care about anything other than his plan had worked and now his father would be safe. Closing his eyes he prayed his head would stop hurting and drifted off into a fitful sleep.

Give his pain to me- Tribuo suus poena volo

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207