What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157794 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
A Quick Departure by Leggylover03

The next day went by in much of a blur. Severus had placed the charms on Harry and then firecalled Lucius, hoping to pry some information out of him.

Harry and Draco played in his room while Severus stroked Lucius' ego, and placated him with wine, praying he would let just the tiniest of details slip.

"Lucius, surely you know you are the Dark Lord's most trusted ally. You must know where we will attack this weekend," Severus crooned, as he poured the blond man another drink.

"Why are you so interested in where Severus. You have never cared before, why should you now?"

Severus knew he must answer this question without flinching. "I must make arrangements for Harry if we are to be out all night."

"Can't your house elf watch him?"

"My house elf is a poor excuse for protection against the mind of my seven year old son. I will come home to the house in shambles."

Lucius downed the last of his wine and stood as if to leave.

"I would make preparations to have someone watch him then for I do think we shall be gone late into the evening. Now I must go, Draco has an early day tomorrow. I am teaching him a few new spells."

"So early?" Severus questioned.

"Early Severus? Was it not you who entered Hogwarts knowing half the dark arts spells yourself?"

Severus conceded, he knew when to stop pushing the issue. Draco would have to be saved another time, for now he had to figure out how to save himself from the Dark Lord.

As Harry slept that night Severus stood by the door. He had been in his bed when he felt a sudden need to check on his son, and that had led him to where he was standing now. Harry looked so small, so helpless. How could this boy be the savior of the wizarding world? How could he hope to defeat the Dark Lord when he had yet to learn even the simplest of spells? Perhaps, he thought Lucius is not so insane as to teach Draco now.

Harry appetite was back in full force the next morning and he finished his plate of food, and then when Severus was not looking Harry snitched the bacon from his plate as well.

Severus reached for his bacon as he put the paper down and found he only came back with a hand full of grease.

"It seems someone was hungrier than they thought," he said ruffling Harry's already messy hair.

Harry grinned back and set off to get dressed. He and Severus had planned on having lunch again today at Hogwarts, but as Harry came out of the room he saw his father standing by the door, his arm the color of fire, his eyes wincing in pain.

"Firecall Remus, Harry and have him come to sit with you."

Harry wanted to hug his father good-bye but Severus took off in a run towards the apparition point. Harry sat for over an hour on the couch waiting to see if this was just one of those times his father would return swiftly, but it was not the case.

Standing he went to the fireplace and threw in a handful of floo powder and a few minutes later Remus stepped out.

"Well, Harry so nice to see you again."

"Hello Uncle Remus. Do you know when he will be back?"

"Harry I am afraid we are all in the dark on this one. Severus was not able to procure any information about where the attack would take place, but he does have an amulet to alert us once he arrives."

Harry felt a bit better knowing his father had something to help him, and let Remus talk him into a game of cards, a muggle game that Remus enjoyed.

Hours ticked by in the small house on the outskirts of town, and Severus wiped the sweat from his brow as he leaned over the cauldron pouring in the lacewings. Voldemort wanted a potion to make its victim think their attack came not from the Death Eaters but from their own loved ones. 'A deserving blow to their egos before death,' Voldemort had said.

By the time the potion was finished it was late in the evening, and Severus was all but exhausted. Standing up straight and popping the kinks from his back he went to find the Dark Lord, and deliver his potion.

"Ahhh Severuss, is my potion ready?"

Severus kneeled, holding the potion upwards to him. "It is ready my Lord."

"Arise my followers and let us go now into the streets of Enfield and rid it of the muggle filth that dwells within. Let no muggle go unpunished, let no house be unsearched. Destroy all who stand in your path."

There were shouts from the Death Eaters, and then the search began. House after house the people were dragged out. All those who struggled were killed outright, and those who chose to hide were made examples of. Men were beaten to death in front of their families, children were taken from their mother's arms, and the women were used and then cast away dead as if they were nothing.

Severus watched all this, standing at the Dark Lord's side. His place was to make potions not to kill, and he relished that fact. He felt very relieved to see some of the Death Eaters coming back towards them, hoping the night was over, but his hopes were soon dashed.

Remus beat Harry three times in the muggle card game before Harry asked if they could stop. He went and took a bath, and put on his pajamas and returned to the living room.

"Can I sit out here with you Uncle Remus, just for a little while?"

Remus had not the heart to say no, and patted the couch beside him.

"How about if I read to you for a while?"

Harry nodded his head yes, and scooted over to Remus, laying his head on his shoulder as Remus began the story. Harry had no idea what was about to happen in Enfield.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207