What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157767 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
Where Does Your Loyalty Lie? by Leggylover03
Author's Notes:
Of course it is AU

After six hours of tossing a turning Severus woke up. Harry was still asleep, and his arm was tucked close to him, so Severus assumed it was feeling much better. As quietly as he could he crept out of the room and into the kitchen. After making sure Lucy would have a fresh pot of coffee ready, Severus headed to take a long hot shower.

Once his shower was over Severus felt a bit more human. He peeked in on Harry and was about to head to Hogwarts when an owl came fluttering in through the window. Severus looked at the owl and knew right away that it belonged to Lucius. With nimble fingers he removed the letter, but the owl seemed to be waiting for a reply.

Severus opened the parchment, to find Lucius' jumbled script inside. What was more disturbing was the fact that Lucius wanted to speak with Severus. The letter had asked Severus to meet with him today at lunch. Severus was livid, for Lucius knew he was to be at Hogwarts today. To leave out during the school day would not go over well with any of the teachers, and his students would surely blow up the Potion's lab if he did not return before the start of the next class.

Begrudgingly Severus sent word to Lucius that he would meet with him. Severus knew the ramifications of not showing up, as he would seem suspicious. Grumbling Severus tucked the note to the owl's leg and watched as it flew away. He waited to see if Harry would wake up before he left but the boy did not, and Severus was running late. After leaving explicit directions to Lucy to send for him if Harry needed him Severus flooed to Hogwarts.

Severus mulled about his morning classes in a rather foul mood. One, he didn't want to be there at all, preferring to be at home with Harry, and two, he was not looking forward to lunch with Lucius. Once the bell signaling lunch rang, Severus dismissed his class, and made his way to the front door.

He had almost made it out the door when he stopped.

"Severus, a word if you please."

Only Albus could have caught him before he left, only he could cause Severus to feel like a child underneath his gaze.

"Albus, I am going to be late. Can this not wait?"

"Severus, I only wanted to tell you to be careful. Going to meet someone as unsavory as Lucius, one can never be too cautious."

Severus merely nodded his head in understanding before walking out the door towards the apparition point. He never could figure out how Albus always knew everything, but he was glad someone knew his whereabouts should anything go wrong. Severus finally reached the edge of the Dark Forest and with a pop he was gone.

When Severus apparated into the front yard of Malfoy Manor, he noticed the new rose bushes out front, and the house elf slaving away pruning them. Severus pushed open the gate and walked up the path, but before he could even knock the door opened, and Lucius stood before him.

"Severus, running a little late are we?"

Severus pushed past Lucius and walked into the sitting room. "You know very well it is not easy to get away from Dumbledore in the middle of a teaching day, and while we are at it opening your own doors these days Lucius? I thought such tasks were beneath you."

"I sent the house elf out to do the rose bushes so we could have a little privacy. True, house elves are bound to their masters, but the one I have is very quick to mention when he thinks I may be wrong."

Severus' eyebrows rose into his hairline at this.

"Do not look at me like that Severus. You know very well that house elves are hard to come by and Dobby has been in this family for three generations. He will do as he is told, or he will punish himself for it, I would just rather not have to deal with him now."

"Lucius, get on with whatever you called me here for. I have classes to teach, and I must be back before the start of the next one."

"Patience Severus. I called you here to tell you some wonderful news. I am going to our Master next week, and inform him that Draco is ready to come to the meetings. True, he is not old enough to join the ranks, but why should he miss out on everything else. It would be wise of you to bring Harry along."

"That is the most inane idea I have ever heard. Why would I bring Harry to witness such things at his age?"

"A loyal servant would be honored to bring his son. You are loyal aren't you Severus?"

"How dare you question my loyalty!" Severus shouted. "I have served the Dark Lord since I was of age, and Harry will as well, but not until he reaches the age to join. I will not have his childhood stolen from him."

"As you wish it Severus, but Draco will be going whether you chose to send Harry or not."

"I will be going now, before you tell me anymore of your ideas. Good day Lucius," and with that Severus slammed the door behind him and left Malfoy Manor.

Severus mumbled all the way back to Hogwarts castle. He didn't notice the second year until he ran into him, causing the child to go tumbling to the floor.

"Sorry, Professor Snape. I should watch where I am going," the second year stuttered before running off down the hall.

Severus went not to his dungeons, but straight to Dumbledore's office. Once the spiral staircase stopped moving he knocked loudly on the door, and then entered without being invited in.

"Severus, to what do I owe the pleasure of this unannounced visit?"

Severus paced the floor as he told Dumbledore all about is meeting with Lucius, and when he was done he flopped down in the chair, as if all the air had been let out of him.

"I can't let Harry go to the meetings, it would crush him."

Severus, did not mention to Albus that he had already taken Harry, and occluded the fact. He knew for a fact he would be at the end of Albus Dumbledore's wand if he ever found that little fact out. Sighing he placed his head in his hands.

"Severus, you know as well as I that having Harry anywhere near Voldemort, is a quick way to end his life. He would be dead if Voldemort ever suspected of who he truly was."

"Albus, then what am I to do?"

"You will go and do as you have always done, Severus, you will deceive them and tell them what they need to hear to insure your safety, and that of Harry."

Severus nodded his head and stood. Dumbledore didn't understand Lucius Malfoy like he did. The man was nothing if he wasn't persuasive in the eyes of Voldemort. Severus on some level feared him, and always had for the nature of his heart was just as black as the vile creature he served so willingly.

Severus finished up his day in much of a trancelike state. Sure, he gave detentions away, but none with him for he wished to get home, back to Harry, back to where life was simple, and the woes of his life stood still if even for only a few moments. He was still feeling rather down when he walked through the door, but the sight of Harry chasing Lucy through the sitting room brought a smile to his face.

"What is it we have here?" Severus spoke from the open doorway, as he shut the door behind him.

Harry and Lucy immediately came to a halt in front of the couch, and Lucy looked almost frightened.

"Master Harry was wanting someone to play with, and Lucy is to be keeping Master Harry happy, so Lucy is playing."

Harry stood, not moving, not even flinching, but as he saw the corners of his father's mouth curl into a smile he took off running and launched himself at Severus.

"How was your day Dad?"

"My day young man was horrible. How could I enjoy a day when I have not seen you at all. Do you feel much better now?"

Harry shook his arm as if to show his father that it was healed. "Can we go and eat now? Lucy made fish and chips."

Severus sat down at the table and soon Harry was telling him all about the new game of hide and seek. Severus did not tell Harry it was far from being a new game, but rather laughed out loud when Harry mentioned how Lucy could not find him when he decided to hide in the shower. Severus watched in amazement as Harry covered his fish in ketchup to the point that it was hard to figure out where the fish was underneath it. He said nothing, as he watched Harry eagerly eating it, as he was glad to see Harry's appetite back. It wasn't until dinner was over, and dessert as well that Severus left Harry's sight.

"I am going to shower. Harry why don't you go and color for awhile."

Severus waited till Harry grabbed his coloring books before he left for his room. Once he was there he shrugged off his robe, laying it across the chair and slipping his shoes from his feet, he went to take a long shower.

Severus came out of the shower, drying his hair as he did, and found Harry sitting on his bed, feet dangling over the side, parchment in his hand.

"Harry, what do you have there?"

"This came today by some owl. I didn't open it as it had your name on it."

Severus looked down at the parchment and took it from Harry's hand, unrolling it as he did. It was as Severus had expected. The letter was from Lucius, explaining how he would divulge to Voldemort of how Severus did not wish to bring Harry along. Lucius also explained that nothing but a blood traitor would refuse his son this honor, and he expected to see them both at the next meeting.

"Was there anything else Harry?"

"You know Dad the owl that came here was kind of creepy. It flew right up to me and kept staring at me for the longest time, until Lucy swatted at it with the broom, and then it took off out the window."

Severus heart began to race, and he sat down on the edge of the bed before his knees gave out. Lucius' bird was a spy, and always had been, he should have known, he should have thought of it, but he hadn't. Severus' mind whirled with a thousand thoughts, all of which were thinking of some way to lie his way out of the whole thing with Lucius."

"Dad, is there something wrong?" Harry asked, his face wrinkling up in worry.

Severus looked down at Harry, and saw his son, his little boy, the one he loved more than anything in the world, and knew what he must do. Severus made up his mind then and there, he would have to kill Lucius and soon.

"Nothing to worry about Harry, but how would you like to eat lunch with me for a few days in the Headmaster's office?"

Harry for the second time launched himself at his father, and this time Severus held on tightly, afraid to let go just yet. After the first yawn, he sent Harry off to bed, but after three hours of tossing and turning Severus found himself standing by Harry's bed. He didn't want to spend another night sleeping in the chair, so he carefully leaned over and picked Harry up, toting him back to his own bed.

Once Harry was tucked back in Severus closed his eyes, and curled up to sleep, one hand on Harry, one hand on his wand beneath his pillow. Damn Lucius Malfoy for making him feel so insecure in his own house.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207