What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157715 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
He is only Seven by Leggylover03

Severus Snape lay on the floor blinking in surprise. Only moments before he had felt the curse rip through every organ in his body, and now he laid on the floor feeling as if it had never happened. Severus didn't question his glorious second chance but instead jumped to his feet, knowing he had to get to Harry.

His feet were a bit shaky, having just been cursed over and over, but his mind raced with thoughts of what Lucius was doing right now. Staggering until he got his bearings Severus went over to the fireplace, and threw in the floo powder.

Severus stepped out of the floo in Dumbledore's office but Albus was not there. Perhaps, he thought Albus had taken Harry to see one of the other teachers. Severus made his way to the door, but stopped when his foot stepped on something.

Severus looked down to see a teacup, broken on the floor and his heart began to thump wildly in his chest. Albus Dumbledore was nothing if he was not tidy, and the obvious lack of either him or Harry made Severus race to the door flinging it open.

The moving staircase did not move fast enough and Severus took the stairs two at a time, stumbling over his tattered robes as he did. When he finally reached the landing Severus stepped out, but it was then that he realized he didn't know where Albus might have taken Harry. Knowing the Headmaster probably took Harry down to the Great Hall he rounded the hallway towards it when he stopped.

Students and teachers alike where crowded into the hallway, and Severus could hear a lot of them crying. Severus' immediate thought was Harry and he rushed over as fast as his trembling legs would allow, pushing aside students and teachers. Severus saw Dumbledore sitting on the floor, but that was not what surprised him most of all. What made Severus sink to his knees was that Dumbledore was holding Harry in his arms, a very unmoving Harry.

Severus knelt down beside the Headmaster and pulled Harry from him. Harry's face was ashen, his arms hanging loosely at his side, and the blood had already started to congeal on his cheek.

"Albus, how?"

"I do not know Severus, I am sorry, truly I am."

Severus sat on the floor and wept, not just tears, but gut wrenching sobs escaped him as he cradled Harry in his lap. His screams of why echoed off the stone walls of the castle sending many first years running from the scene, and the other students stood too mortified to move.

"Minerva, if you will please round the students up into the Great Hall and keep them there until I return," Dumbledore said.

McGonagall rounded up the students as Dumbledore led the distraught Severus to the hospital wing, Harry in his arms.

"Lay him on the bed Severus."

Severus did so sitting on the side of the bed, wiping the blood from his face as he did, and stroking the hair on his head. He even tucked the covers up around him.

"Severus, what happened when you went home?"

Severus told Dumbledore what transpired between Lucius and himself, but he never took his gaze off Harry.

"I have lost him, I have lost my son over this Albus."

Dumbledore came and laid his hand on Severus' shoulder. "Severus all may not be lost just yet."

"What do you mean Albus! He is dead, not just asleep, but dead!" Severus screamed.

"My child, Harry is still alive. I can feel it now, and I would not tell you this unless I was sure. He has survived the killing curse before Severus, he may survive it again."

"How do you know Albus? How can you tell?"

Dumbledore pulled his wand from his robe and ran it over Harry muttering strange words in Latin that Severus did not understand. This went on for several minutes before he finally put his wand away.

"It is as I suspected after you told me what happened. Harry has placed an empathy spell on himself. When Lucius cursed you, he was in truth cursing Harry."

Severus sat his mouth agape in horror, as Dumbledore explained further.

"Since it was you Lucius cursed and not Harry directly he may yet pull through this, only time will tell."

Severus looked away from Dumbledore and back to Harry. "He is only seven Albus, just a baby really, and I have taken his very life from him. How can I ever forgive myself," Severus said, feeling a new wave of tears rolling down his face.

"It was not you who did this Severus, do not blame yourself. Lucius Malfoy is to blame."

Severus stared into the face that only yesterday had greeted him with a hug. The eyes that used to light up everytime Severus would read to him at night. Lucius Malfoy had taken all of that from him, and Lucius Malfoy would pay dearly for it.

Severus tucked the covers up to Harry chin, and stood up, wiping the tears from his face as he did.

"Albus, watch over Harry, I have something I have to do."

"Severus, do not do anything in haste that you will regret later," Dumbledore pleaded.

Severus turned around his face radiating anger. "I will not do anything I regret. For a long time I have wished to kill Lucius Malfoy, and tonight I will get that wish. He will die for what he has done and I will feel no regret in doing it."

Severus didn't listen to anymore of what was said to him. He turned on his heel and marched out of the hospital wing and down the steps. He had almost gotten to the front door of the castle when he saw Hagrid still sitting in the middle of the floor. Severus had often bad mouthed the giant, and yet the man was sobbing over Harry. Severus felt his heart clinch in his chest, but he had not the time to console him now. He would speak to Hagrid later. Placing his hand on the door he opened it and hurried down to the apparition point, and with a pop he was gone.

Severus apparated just outside of Malfoy Manor and went to the door. He didn't bother to knock, but instead flung the door open, his wand drawn as he did.

"Severus, Merlin what happened to you?" Narcissa Malfoy said from the foyer.

"I have no time to explain Narcissa. Where is Lucius?"

"He went to gather up Crabbe and Goyle, something about a meeting he was going to call with the Dark Lord."

"Thank you Narcissa. I would ask that you not mention you had seen me, but I can't really take that chance," and with that Severus yelled "Obliviate!" and closed the door behind him.

Severus knew where they would be meeting, the same place that they always met. He apparated just outside the woods, and snuck through the forest, avoiding the Death Eaters. He crept right up till he was but a few yards from Lucius, close enough that he could hear him gloating to the others.

"Tonight I will take Severus' place as the Dark Lord's right hand man. No more being second best for me."

"What do you have planned Lucius?" Goyle asked aloud.

"It is something once revealed that will have you all green with envy, but I shall not speak of it just yet, no I will savor the moment for awhile longer."

Severus wanted to leap from behind the tree and kill Lucius with his bear hands. He wanted to avenge Harry, but he knew it was not the right time, so he waited. For over an hour Severus hid until the last of the Death Eaters had arrived, and that is when he started to move to be a bit closer. He walked right up behind one of the Death Eaters in the back and stood, unnoticed by any of them.

Voldemort made his way into the area, the scowl on his face threatening imminent pain for anyone and everyone. After taking his seat, he called Lucius to him.

"Lucius, why have you called me here, and your answer should please me for I am in no mood for trivial matters."

Lucius bowed and kissed the hem of Voldemort's robes before rising again to his feet.

"My Lord I have come bearing news that I think you will find most fitting."

"What is this news you have brought me Lucius?"

Lucius stood a smile on his face and Severus stepped from his hiding spot. Lucius never saw him, not until Severus' wand was pointed at him. " Severus!"he screamed, and before the shock of seeing the dead man standing before him wore off, Severus spoke the spell.

"Avadra Kedavra!" Severus yelled, and watched Lucius Malfoy fall dead at the Dark Lord's feet.

"Severuss, you will explain what you have done!" Voldemort hissed.

Severus came up and bowed before the Dark Lord, and then rose to stare him straight in the face, occluding his mind as he did.

"Lucius is a traitor my Lord. He came to my home today and tried to kill me. It was his intention to overthrow you, and to take what he thought was rightfully his. I have taken his life and I must say I am overjoyed that the bastard is dead."

Severus waited for retribution from Voldemort for his actions, but Voldemort simply stared at him. It was then that Severus felt the Dark Lord probing his mind, looking to see if he told the truth, and Severus erected the walls to keep out all he did not wish known.

"Severusss, I see your loathing, your hatred for Lucius. I feel and see nothing but hatred an anger, this pleases me. You have done well to rid me of this traitor."

Voldemort looked to the rest of the Death Eaters all standing in the circle.

"This is a loyal servant. Severus has killed the blood traitor who has wished to overtake me, and yet I see some of Lucius' closest friends who told me nothing. You shall pay for your silence tonight."

The curses and hexes lasted for a long time, and Severus stood beside him, the dead form of Lucius Malfoy at his feet his only comfort. It seemed like hours when in fact it was only minutes, but Severus' thoughts were with Harry, and getting back to him. When the Dark Lord released them Severus walked to the edge of the woods, before taking off running to the apparation point. He wanted to get back to Harry, he wanted to hold his son one more time, hoping above all else it would not be the last time.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207