What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157793 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
Too Literally by Leggylover03
Author's Notes:
Completely AU

Severus watched for the next couple of months as Harry became one of the most disciplined children he had ever seen. It was a proud moment each time someone complimented him on Harry's manners when they were out, but Severus noticed Harry was not the same as he had been, something was different.

Harry birthday had come and gone, and Harry had once again shown great manners to his guests, even allowing Ron to play with his toys before he got the chance, but it was when Harry came to him one night that Severus truly began to wonder what was wrong with him.

Sure, Harry appeared to everyone else as a happy boy, but Severus knew something was strange when he ate his broccoli even though Severus could hear him retching it up twenty minutes later.

It was as Severus sat down at the table for dinner that evening that he truly began to suspect. Harry had again cleaned his plate, and was sitting quietly at the table, hands folded.

"Lucy has found some amazing oranges for us, and I thought it would be a nice treat for dessert instead of something overly sweet. Lucy's head snapped around at hearing this.

"Master Severus, Lucy got the oranges for you, not for Master Harry." Lucy was about to say something else but Harry interrupted her.

"Lucy it is fine. I will eat the oranges just like Dad said."

Severus smiled to his son. No one could ask for a better child than he had. He was so proud of Harry, words could not even come close to explaining it.

Harry shoved each of the orange slices in his mouth and tried to chew them as little as possible while shooting what he hoped were pleasing smiles to both his father and Lucy. The oranges burned his throat as they went down, and once his plate was finished Harry asked to be excused.

Severus told Harry he could go and play in his room, or whatever he wished until bed, and Harry pushed his chair back, making sure to hurry along his way to his room. It was not until he closed the door to his room that Harry took off running to the bathroom where he leaned heavily on the toilet and retched up the oranges.

Severus sat back in his chair, his dinner making him quite content. Lucy on the other hand was fuming and slammed his cup of coffee down on the table in front of him.

"Is there something you wish to tell me Lucy?" Severus asked, more than a bit perturbed at the sudden glare the house elf sent him.

"Lucy is not saying anything, as Lucy is only a house elf."

Severus was intrigued now and asked again the question he wished to know.

"Have I somehow treated you unfairly, or is there some other reason that you are glaring at me now?"

Lucy bowed her head. "Lucy shall go and throw herself down the stairs for glaring at her master."

Severus jumped from his chair at that response. "I do not wish you to harm yourself, I only want to know what I have done to deserve such a look, and you will tell me now."

Lucy again tried to cover up the contempt in her voice as she spoke. "You gave Master Harry oranges for dessert."

Severus threw up his hands in submission. "And just why would that garner such a look?"

"Master Harry is allergic to oranges!" Lucy yelled at him, her bony hands on her hips.

Severus' face fell, but it only took a second for his mind to remember that Harry was allergic. "Why didn't he remind me about it?" he said aloud, not really expecting an answer.

"Because Master Harry is like Lucy, he is to be doing what he is told to do without question."

Severus rolled his eyes and headed towards Harry's room. Severus knew he had been told of Harry's allergy last time the boy had drank some orange juice when they were out. Harry had then broken out in a rash, and that had only been a small amount. Severus realized then, standing at Harry's bedroom door that Harry had eaten a whole orange at dinner, and he flung the door open to the sounds of Harry retching.

When he stepped into the bathroom Harry was leaning back, his head against the marble tiled wall, a sheen of sweat covering his face.

Severus knelt down beside him and saw that Harry was breathing in and out far too rapidly. He placed his finger beneath Harry's chin and pulled his head up so that he could look into his eyes, but Harry's eyes were wide with fear. Harry started to stand and clean himself up when his knees gave way, and he found himself being caught in his father's arms. Severus picked up Harry and toted him over to the bed and laid him down, removing his shirt as he did.

Once Harry's shirt was off Severus could see Harry's chest moving up and down, so fast that the child would so pass out if he did not slow his breathing.

"Harry calm down," Severus whispered to him, and Harry at once tried to still his movements.

Severus told Harry to open his mouth so he could look inside for swelling. Severus took his wand and cast Lumos so that he could see better, but what he saw was scary. The walls of Harry's throat were closing together, leaving only a small space for air to circulate through. Severus finished looking and told Harry he could close his mouth again. Harry's eyes began to water, but he did not make a sound.

Over and over he gasped for the much needed air to flow into his lungs, but it wouldn't come. Severus noticed with wide eyes that Harry's lips were turning a light shade of blue and jumped up to go and get the potion to help him. He turned to run down the hall, but it was the small hand that grabbed his robe forcefully that stopped him.

"Harry I must get the potion!" Severus screamed, his own fear at seeing Harry this way making his voice crack.

Harry didn't say anything, he simply let go of the robes, his hand falling back onto the bed. Severus went to leave but before he could make it to the door the gurgling noises coming from the bed made him stop dead in his tracks. Turning his head Severus saw Harry sitting up in bed, his hand at his throat, his lips now almost completely blue.

Severus ran back to the bed screaming for Lucy as he did. The house elf entered the room and stood waiting by the bed.

"Go and get me the yellow potion in the lab, fourth one over on the bottom shelf and hurry!"

Lucy left with a pop, and Severus pulled at Harry's hands, trying to pry them from his throat, but the boy's eyes were starting to roll back in his head even as Severus tried to.

Harry stared at his father, tears streaming down his face, the words he wanted to say stuck in his still closing throat. The only thing he could do was stare into his father's eyes to try and tell him that he was sorry, but even that struggle was becoming to much and soon Harry could feel them slipping closed no matter how he fought it.

"Harry! Fight it, hang on son," Severus pleaded, but Harry's arms were growing limp as the terrified look on his face turned to one of release.

Again Severus watched as Harry's eyes rolled into the back of his head, and his chest stopped moving. Severus placed a hand over Harry's mouth hoping to feel even the slightest of air, but he felt nothing. Fear griping him he grabbed Harry and began to shake him.

"Breathe!" he commanded his limp son, but there was no response, and then Severus began to curse Lucy.

"Lucy either get in here or you will find yourself with clothes!" he yelled and in seconds there was a pop, and Lucy was standing beside him, the vial in hand. Severus took it, his hand shaking slightly and tilted Harry's head back, prying his mouth open, and then he waited.

The sound of the first intake of breath was music to his ears and he pulled Harry to him, holding him tightly, afraid somehow that he would once again become the lifeless thing that laid in the bed before.

Once Harry was breathing again in a normal pattern Severus propped him up on the bed and sat down beside him.

"Harry, why did you not remind me you were allergic to oranges?"

Harry stared at his father, his heart thumping in his chest, afraid to disappoint him. "I didn't tell you because you are my father, and you know best. I was only trying to behave like you asked. I am sorry that I worried you."

Severus' mouth fell open. He suddenly realized that the night he found Harry sleeping in the chair, the oranges, all of it had been because of his talk with Harry. The child had been doing exactly what he was told without question, even to the point of causing himself pain and misery, all because his father told him so.

"For the love of Merlin Harry. Just because I am an adult and your father does not mean I am always right. You must never do anything that causes you pain, do you understand?"

Harry nodded his head that he did, but Severus knew there would more than likely be many more conversations such as this in the future. Dumbledore had told him once before that children took things too literally sometimes, but he had thought the old man quite barmy at the time, and flung the idea aside, now he knew Albus Dumbledore was nothing if not well versed in the mannerisms of children.

After making sure Harry was securely tucked in Severus kicked off his shoes, and slid onto the bed too.

"You realize I am only sleeping here tonight as to make sure you do nothing else foolish," he rebuked the smiling child.

"Of course Dad," Harry said smirking at his father.

Severus smirked back before whispering to the now half asleep Harry. "Go to sleep, I will be here watching over you."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207