What Might Have Been by Leggylover03
Summary: What might have been had Harry not gone to the Dursley's all those years ago, but instead been raised as a wizard.
Categories: Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Lucius, McGonagall, Molly, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 46 Completed: No Word count: 79855 Read: 157786 Published: 05 May 2006 Updated: 01 May 2010
You Are Not Safe Here by Leggylover03

Harry spent more and more time with Draco, even going there while Severus was at work, unbeknownst to him. Draco had shown Harry his broomstick, and they took turns flying it in the backyard. It was on one particular day that Draco and Harry were playing that the doorbell rang and when Draco opened it he came face to face with a very irate Severus Snape.

"Is Harry here?" he demanded.

Draco couldn't find his tongue to answer, mumbling incoherently.

Severus took Draco by the arm and began shaking him, and it was only then that Draco noticed the look of fear in his eyes.

"How could you? How could you endanger Harry like this? I trusted you to be a friend to him, and you have put him in mortal danger. Answer me Draco! Where is Harry?"

Draco's chin started to tremble then, "I didn't place him in mortal danger! Harry and I have been sitting here all day, and nothing has happened." Draco was now staring back at Severus, his eyes gleaming in a matter of fact way.

Taking Draco by the collar. Severus picked him up off the floor, his feet now dangling, but his face mere inches from the eyes of Severus.

"No danger you say? What if one of your father's friends had shown up? What do you suppose they would have done in retaliation for your father's death? What limb do you think they would have ripped from his body first, what Unforgivable would they have used Draco? You were never safe, not while in the confines of this house."

Severus dropped Draco then as Harry came from out of the kitchen, a bowl of something in his hand. Harry dropped the bowl when he saw his father, knowing he had been caught, and watched as his father made it to where he was standing in three strides.

"I guess I am in trouble aren't I?"

Severus leaned down to be eye level with Harry and glared at him making Harry shake in fear. Severus opened his mouth to let loose another lecture, but the tears rolling down Harry's face stopped him cold. Did Harry fear him?

"We shall tak about your punishment when we get home. Say good bye to Draco now as we are leaving."

Harry wandered over to Draco who was still sitting in the same place Severus had dropped him. "Sorry Draco," he offered to the boy who was staring blankly at him, but Draco said nothing in return.

Severus walked past Draco, and leaned down to speak to him. "I thought you would know better Draco. I am very disappointed in you, but we shall speak of this later when tempers are not so high."

Draco watched as Harry and Severus left. The memory of the only man who had ever shown him kindness, telling him what a disappointment he was repeating in his head. Draco screamed aloud, stomping his feet, throwing anything within reach. "Why is it him! It should be me he is taking home, not Harry, and it would be me if he wasn't around!"

Draco laid on the floor, shooing away Dobby when he asked if there was anything he could get him. Narcissa didn't come home that night, and Draco wallowed in his own misery on the floor, his eight year old mind not understanding.

Harry felt terrible. Draco had looked so sad when he left, and the lecture his father had given him had not comforted Harry at all. Severus had told Harry he couldn't visit Draco unless he was with him. As Harry laid in his bed the next morning Severus came in to tell him good bye before leaving for Hogwarts.

"Harry, I am leaving now. Remember what we talked about last night."

"I will Dad."

Severus came over and sat on the edge of the bed, taking Harry's hand in his. "I hope you know why I had to be so strict on this manner. It is simply not safe for you to be there all alone."

Harry nodded that he understood even though he truly did not.

Severus paused just inside the doorway. "Lucy must go out for a bit this afternoon to get some supplies for the house. Stay here and do not answer the door."

With that Severus left for Hogwarts. Harry got up and got dressed. Lucy had made him breakfast and Harry sat down to a stack of pancakes larger than he was. After finishing only two he excused himself to go and read for awhile, but that soon grew boring. He missed playing with Draco. Sitting alone in the house was no fun.

Sighing for the fourth time, Harry got up to go and get his toy wizards and dragons to play with; but when he went to his room to collect them they were not there.

"Lucy have you seen my toy wizards?" Harry called from his room, still looking under the bed.

"Lucy, has been cleaning Master Harry's room and she is not finding his wizards."

Harry searched for the next twenty minutes and had left no corner unturned. It was only then that he realized the only place he could have left them were at Draco's. Harry sat down in a huff on his bed. He had promised his dad he wouldn't go there alone, but he really wanted his things back. Knowing he couldn't do anything about it, Harry went into the sitting room to draw.

At half past one Lucy informed Harry that she would be going, and reminded him not to let anyone in while she was away.

"Lucy is not going to be long, and then Lucy will be back to fix dinner."

Harry watched Lucy leave with a pop, and then he did feel alone. Drawing no longer held his attention, and soon Harry found himself wishing more and more he had his toys back to stage battles. As Harry walked over to sit down in the chair, his eyes saw something that scared him so badly he began screaming as he backed away.

Draco laughed at the sight before him, as he stepped from the fireplace. "Come on Harry, surely you have seen someone firecall before."

Harry stopped yelling and stared at Draco, "Don't ever do that again!"

Draco grinned from ear to ear. "Look I only came to see if you wanted to come over today. I mean I know Severus said you couldn't, but it is not like he is here."

Harry shook his head, "Dad said I couldn't go there without him anymore."

Draco's face fell then. "How about if you come over and just get your wizards? I found them yesterday after you left."

The mention of his favorite toys sparked Harry's interest.

"Dad said I couldn't go," he huffed.

Draco came up and put his arm around Harry. "It is not like you are going to stay. You are going just to collect your toys and then come right back, five minutes at the most."

Harry tried to weigh the pros and cons of it, but the pleading look in Draco's eyes had him relenting. "All right but just five minutes. Lucy will be back soon, and I better be here or she will go straight to my Dad."

Draco reassured Harry he would be right back and tossed the floo powder in for him. Once Harry disappeared in the whirl of green flames, Draco face broke out into a huge smile. Yes, Harry would return but not the Harry they all knew, and with another batch of floo powder he followed Harry to put in order the plan he had come up with.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1207