Ashes of the Phoenix by Solitare
Past Featured StorySummary: Sick and tired with the way the Dursleys were treating him, Harry decides he has had enough. Leaving the house he makes his way towards the Leaky Cauldron only to encounter the one person he didnt want to see...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 79889 Read: 200148 Published: 02 Oct 2006 Updated: 23 Apr 2018
Who I am hates who I've been... by Solitare
Author's Notes:
Not much to say ^_^;;; still haven't gotten a beta, but I will have two proofreaders that are going to help starting with chapter sixteen (yup I am actually up to there). So hopefully it works out right! hope you enjoy the chapter!

Bill Weasley had tolerated potions class like any other Gryffindor, he knew full well of his professor's hate for his house. But there was one thing that no child save it be a Slytherin child knew. Snape actually cared about his students, even those in the other houses and that was what Bill was counting on as he walked through room to room searching for the terror of Hogwarts. He at last spotted said terror bent over a bubbling cauldron, he paused wondering if what he was about to do really was in the best interest for Harry. Snape turned slightly his eyes meeting Bill's surprising the younger man. He hadn't known the professor had such sharp senses.

"I thought you were with the boys shopping." He stated in that monotone of voice he always seemed to use unless of course it was for yelling at Harry.

"We need to talk." Bill said looking directly into Snape's eyes. Snape raised an eyebrow and with a wave of his wand he put the fire below the cauldron out.

"Where are Potter and Draco?" Snape asked giving Bill his complete attention.

"They're still with Cri and the twins. Don't worry the three of them can keep a good eye on the two of them." Bill said and Snape nodded folding his arms.

"Very well, what is it you want to talk to me about?" he commanded, oh Bill had not forgotten that tone of voice he thought inwardly wincing.

"It's about Harry..." he began and Snape leaned back in the chair.

"Weasley when is it not about Potter, that boy gets into more trouble than the entire student body of Hogwarts." Snape growled. Bill smirked raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Anyway..." He trailed off as Snape rubbed his temples. "Harry isn't suicidal." He said bluntly. Snape raised an eyebrow.

"Oh really." He said mildly. Bill nodded.

"The kid just really doesn't think his life is worth anything. Those muggles...made him understand that in every fiber of his being."

"Yes, yes, those Dursleys terrible people I know! I'll talk to Harry after he comes home later. And it'll take awhile to get him to understand he does not need to run into dangerous situations all the time." Snape said in an aggravated tone of voice. "However, I will start talking to him tonight, and I'll talk to you after I think of how to deal with him." Bill sighed but he nodded.

"You better or I am going to make your life a living hell!" He threatened Snape his voice serious. Snape rolled his eyes.

"Yes, yes, you've made your point, now will you leave? So I can enjoy what little time I have left before Potter and Draco come back." He snapped Bill nodded but paused.

"Professor one more thing."

"What the bloody hell do you want this time Weasley!" Snape said between his teeth.

"Are you throwing Harry a birthday party?" he asked. Snape froze and gaped at his former student.

"Excuse me? I think Potter has had plenty of birthday parties in his life." He said nearly choking on the idea of it. Him throw the brat a party?

"Snape come on, you know very well that those muggles never threw Harry a birthday party, and yes we've thrown a couple for him but its different, you're his guardian just like the Dursley's were. It would mean more if you were the one to throw it." Bill said throwing his hands up in the air. "I mean for Merlin's sake his uncle punched him in the face the minute we had the Death Eaters detained!"

"He did what? For what reason? That bloody Bastard" Snape snapped out. Bill hid a smile.

"Right before your right ass showed up he slugged Harry in the face screaming to Harry that it was his fault that the lump of muggle that is his cousin was hit with a cutting curse." Bill said. Snape growled and rubbed his temples...he was right the boy was going to be the death of him.

"I still don't see what any of that has to do with throwing the brat a birthday party." Snape said stiffly. Bill growled and walked over slamming his hands on the table glaring at his former professor.

"Listen I know you have Harry's best interests at heart. And you are most likely the only chance that Harry has of surviving into adulthood, so will you shove the bias attitude!" Snape stared at Bill coldly.

"You're throwing a fit because I have no desire to throw a," Snape shuddered. "Birthday party. He certainly has not earned one." Bill groaned and stared directly into the older man's eyes.

"I am not leaving until you agree." Bill threatened. Snape growled and relit the fire beneath the cauldron, he was sure once Bill understood he was not going to give in the redhead would leave him be...

Harry stared out the window of Illusions as Draco and Cri chattered on nearby about fashion. The twins had left the shop seeing a nice ingredient shop they could use for supplying new pranks. Leaving him alone to his thoughts. He closed his eyes against the memories of the events at the Dursley's house flashed in his mind. Vernon had been right, if Harry hadn't ever gone to the Dursley's then they would still be living their happy magic free life. It truly was his fault, he leaned his forehead against the cool glass as the rain began to fall. His new scar was burning, it was after all not entirely healed yet so the burning was understandable. He squeezed his eyes tighter as his stomach tightened, just the thought of how many people died just because he was born was sickening. He had to make up for all the pain his life had caused. Sighing he opened his eyes and glanced down at his arm, faintly a scar in the symbol of a rune could be seen, he had craved it his third year at Hogwarts when he was on summer break. It was a simple protection symbol and it had saved his life. He glanced around and smiled slightly as he watched Cri and Draco argue what color was better. He leaned with his back against the glass and sighed, he couldn't complain about what life had dealt him, he had a chance to stop an evil that only he could. He shook his head, starting from this point on, he was going to begin to secretly train his body. He had to be ready for any attack.

"Harry." A voice called out bringing his mind out of his thoughts. Harry turned and smiled at Cri as she walked over to him.

"Hey, are we almost done shopping?" he asked hopefully.

"Almost, we have your clothes but Draco wants to look for a few for himself." Cri said smiling. She turned so she was leaning on the wall beside him. They watched the blonde as he browsed slowly.

"...a choclate frog for your thoughts Harry." Cri said not even glancing at him. Harry smiled and then shrugged.

"Not really thinking about much, just wondering when Snape is going to get around to punishing me for running off." He said. Cri turned and raised an eyebrow.

"That's a lie." She pointed out with a smirk.

"No it isn't." He countered and Cri laughed.

"Harry, you're talking to wrong person here." She pointed out nudging his shoulder with hers. He laughed shaking his head.

"Okay nothing more than what is almost always on my mind is that a better answer?" he asked. Cri nodded. "So did you go to the burrow yet to see Charlie?" Cri winced and raised an arm to brush some hair from her face.

"No, and believe me Gred and Forge aren't happy that I haven't yet. It's just difficult, despite what they think. Besides almost every day I get an owl from Dumbles asking me to be the DADA teacher, no matter how many times I turn him down he doesn't seem to get that I want nothing to do with him!" she said exasperated. Harry snickered.

"He doesn't really know when to stop does he? On the other hand think about it, if you took the job then you could drive Snape nuts every day and night and he couldn't give you detention because you would be a fellow student." He pointed out and grinned at the light that came into Cri's eyes. Slowly a wide grin spread across her face.

"There is that. Awfully tempting when you point that out but I am not sure." She said shaking her head. She smiled at Harry and ruffled his hairs. "Best not to let your thoughts bring you down Harry." Harry stared at her then shrugged.

"I'm not ‘getting down' I was just musing." Harry said rolling his eyes. Cri snorted.

"And I'll dye my hair back to the way it was when I was a student at Hogwarts. You've a very easy face to read Harry. It's one of you're few weaknesses. Mind you the person who can tell has to know you very well so I guess that leaves the twins, me, Draco and Snape as the only ones who can. So that's okay." She said grinning again as she looped an arm around Harry's.

"Cri..." Harry said groaning but the woman merely ignored him as she led him over to Draco.

"Almost done there Dragon?" she asked, Draco froze and stared at Cri.

"What did you just call me?" he asked tightly. Cri laughed.

"Dragon, and I'll call Harry Phoenix, it fits." She said smiling and released Harry. "Anyway are you almost done?" Draco rolled his eyes.

"Why do women always make up nicknames!" he said grumbling. Harry smirked.

"I know what's up with that Drake?" he said and burst into laughter when Draco gaped at him.

"Drake! What kind of name is that!"

"Okay, okay...Dracula!" Harry shouted out and dodged behind Cri.

"Move it Donalie!" Draco growled.

"Uh oh Cri, I think I made Count Dracula mad!" He said with a serious face. Cri bit her lip, and said nothing walking over to pay for the items, Harry following closely.

"Potter!! Do not call me that!" Draco snarled.

"What ever you say Dracula." Harry said with another serious face and ran to the door as the twins walked in.

"Harry..."

"... what are you doing?" They said as one and blinked when Harry hid behind them.

"Save me Count Dracula is after me!" Harry said trying not to laugh, the twins stared at each other then laughed when Draco walked up red faced.

"Potter stop calling me that right now!" he hissed. The twins exchanged a look and then grinned.

"Actually Draco..."

"...Harry might be on to something, you do look a bit like Dracula." They said and grinned widely as Draco sputtered.

"I HATE Gryffindors!" the Slytherin yelled on top of his lungs.

"Aww Draky-poo Hates us Gred!" George said Fred shook his head sadly.

"No, I just think the wittle Slytherin is confused." Fred said in a mournful voice.

"Argh!!! Donalie will you please back me up!" Draco shouted as Cri came the bags having been shrunk and placed in her purse. She glanced at Draco.

"What exactly am I supposed to help you with Draco?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

"These idiotic Gryffindors..." Draco began but Cri held up a hand.

"Can't help you if it regards Gryffindors."

"Why not!" Draco snapped.

"Because in Hogwarts my best friend was a Gryffindor." She pointed out. Draco groaned smacking his hand across his face.

"Don't feel bad Dragon, we already know Slytherins are smarter, and we are stronger too, after all we have to protect some Gryffindor's who let their bravery get into their head." She said winking and Harry stuck his tongue out.

"Now we need to find a fireplace since Bill isn't here to..." She trailed off as Bill appeared before her with a smirk.

"Wishful thinking." He said. She narrowed her eyes.

"Don't you dare, Harry and I can easily floo ourselves back!" she snapped.

"I don't feel like fighting again, so for once I really don't care." Harry said lamely getting a scowl from Cri.

"Gee thanks!" she snapped and pulled out her wand pointing it at Bill. "Don't even dream it Weasley or I will tattoo your forehead with some saying that will make girls run away from you!"

"Cri, darling, sweetheart..." Bill said advancing grinning.

"Bill I swear!" she snapped. He stopped and smirked.

"Alright Cri you win. She's all yours Charlie." He said and Cri froze turning around slowly her eyes widening as Charlie Weasley clothed in his normal outfit that he used when dealing with Dragons walked up. He nodded to his brothers and Harry but his eyes were on Cri.

"Busted." Harry, Fred and George said at the same time. Cri hissed at them and fidgeted.

"Hi Charlie." She said looking around. He took a step towards her and she took a step back.

"Sacrifice." He acknowledged and then his face broke into a grin he grabbed her arm and she tumbled forward. "You are in so much trouble." He said smirking and when she opened her mouth to yell he captured it with his and apparated them from sight. Harry coughed.

"You do know she has all the clothes?" he pointed out as Fred wrapped an arm around him.

"We know mate and I bet you Charlie does as well." The Weasley said and his twin grabbed Draco. "You coming with us Bill, or are you going to meet us back at the Burrow?"

"I'll meet you back at the borrow." He said smiling and apparated from them.

"Well then let's be on our way!" George said cheerfully. The four quickly apparated to Snape's home to see the teacher standing stiff straight his right eye twitching. Charlie and Cri stood near by still lip locked. A moment later Charlie released her with a smirk at the fact she stared glassy eyed at him. The calm lasted for another minute before she blinked and punched him in the stomach.

"What the hell do you think you are doing you moron!! You can't just randomly kiss a girl!" she snapped at him. Charlie laughed rubbing his stomach.

"Good to see you again to Cri. Why the hell did you go and disappear like that?" He said still rubbing his stomach, he forgot how hard Cri could punch.

"I didn't disappear I went off exploring, you were interning with the Dragons so I thought I would go off and see the world." She sniffed tilting her head up.

"Then how come you didn't tell anyone you were back in town?" he asked. Cri opened and closed her mouth then put her hands on her hips.

"Because I didn't want to! And this is not the time nor the place to be having this discussion, I am going to put Harry's clothes away." She snapped and headed up the stairs. Charlie jogged up beside her.

"Allow me to assist you fair maiden."

"Shut up Charlie!"

"Don't worry if there is a Dragon I shall save you from it. They rather like me!"

"CHARLIE!"

Harry glanced at the twins whom shrugged. They winked at Snape.

"Well Professor..."

"...we'll be goi-" the began only to see Charlie running down the stairs laughing.

"Nice seeing you again Harry got to run though." Charlie said as a shriek could be heard from upstairs. Harry opened his mouth but Charlie vanished the twins with him. A moment later Cri came running down the stairs.

"Sorry Cri he left already." Harry offered she grumbled nodded to Snape.

"I am going back to my shop, and if that MAN wants to contact me you better not tell him where my shop is Snape or so help me I'll pierce every orifice of your body!" She threatened storming to the living room area to floo back home. Snape snapped his mouth shut bad temperedly. Giving the boys a glare he turned.

"I am going back to my potions, you two stay out of trouble." He said in a strained voice. Harry snickered and glanced at Draco.

"So what now?" he asked, the blonde shrugged.

"We could go to Snape's library and read, or play chess." Draco drawled in a bored tone of voice. Harry smirked.

"We could watch a movie." He said. Draco raised an eyebrow.

"What movie?"

"Oh I think I have one in mind that you'll like...."

Several hours later Draco and Harry lay on the couch an overlarge bowl of popcorn that was smothered with butter between them.

"What the hell! That's supposed to be a castle!" Draco snorted as he took a handful of popcorn. Harry snickered.

"It's a movie Draco deal!"

"But I mean you don't even know how many rooms it has!"

"Draco just shut up and watch the movie." Harry said eating some of the popcorn. He smirked as Draco choked on laughter.

"I ain't got no boody and no body a cares for me! Yak a ta!"

"Eyegore!"

"Frodrick!"

"How did you get here!"

"Through the dumbwaiter, I heard the strangest music from the upstairs kitchen and followed it down call it a hunch broo chii!"

"That is so corny!" Draco choked grabbing the bottle of pop that lay near him. Harry snickered.

"Says he who is choking on laughter, and he who demanded me to play the movie again!" he said laughing loudly.

"Ehhhemm!" a voice coughed from the doorway of the room. Both boys turned, Draco with a mouth full of popcorn.

"Oh my god look out its Abby Normal run!!" Harry shouted while Draco choked. "Quick give him a said-a-give!" Draco coughed and then shot Harry a grin.

"I told you not to use that abnormal brain! But would you listen noooo..." Snape stared at the two of them.

"What are you doing?!" he demanded. The boys grinned.

"We're ‘staying out of trouble' by watching a movie!" Harry said innocently. Snape gave Harry one of his ‘You Potter are an idiot' looks.

"And that's staying out of trouble?" he said stiffly.

"I thought so I mean all we are doing is sitting here watching a movie how could that possibly be considered trouble!" He said in mock shock. Snape glared at the two of them.

"How did you manage to con Draco into joining along with you?" Snape inquired. Harry grinned.

"He bribed me, sorry but popcorn and caffeine can make even the strongest will crumble." Draco said as he grabbed another handful of popcorn. Snape groaned and glared at Harry.

"I have yet to say what you're punishment is." He pointed out. Harry groaned.

"Listening to you lecture? That would be a nightmare." Harry said and Snape made a strangling sound in his throat. He took a deep breath and Harry braced himself.

"You are to stay in your room tomorrow until someone comes and gets you, you will be working on your punishment essay as well as your new one. I want you to write an essay on what it is you intend to do when you graduate Hogwarts, it can not having anything to do with Aurors or the Dark Lord, have I made myself clear?" Snape said though he seemed to be choking on his words.

"Um..." Harry said unsure but Snape left the room, he turned and looked at Draco.

"Don't be an idiot and look a gift horse in the mouth." The blonde pointed out, Harry settled himself back down.

"Well, at least it should be an unusual day." He commented and shook his head when Draco gave him an inquiring look, tomorrow wasn't important. It was only his birthday afterall...


To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1215