Tiny Troubles by Rosaleen
Summary: AU Kidfic as usual Ron's problems in potions leave Albus Dumbledore with a tiny result.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Baby fic, Deaging
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6809 Read: 13985 Published: 28 Oct 2006 Updated: 10 Aug 2007
Chapter 4 - Insights by Rosaleen
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: JKR owns all

Albus tucked Severus into his cot and kissed his forehead before returning to his living room where Harry was perched on the edge of his sofa. He was staring blankly ahead and Hermione was looking very worried.

"Is Professor Snape all right?" she asked.

"Severus is fine, Miss Granger," Dumbledore was reassuring himself as much as the young witch, "How are you feeling, Harry?"

Harry didn't respond but continued to stare at the wall.

"He has been like this since he came back from your office, when he saw Scrimgeour hurt Severus" Hermione did not seem able to go on with that description, "I've tried talking to him but he seems to be in some kind of shock"

Dumbledore sat down opposite Harry and stared intently at the boy.

"I think you are right, Miss Granger," he murmured finally, "He had quite an outburst. Very revealing actually. I should have done something years ago. I should have checked more thoroughly". He sighed heavily.

Again, Hermione suspected the Headmaster was talking to himself rather than her. Finally, the old wizard looked up, his expression grave.

"Miss Granger. Why don't you go back to Gryffindor tower and leave Harry with me? I will get through to him. I will send you an update on proceedings later".

Hermione knew when she was being dismissed. She left quickly. She trusted that Dumbledore knew what he was doing.

"Harry?" Dumbledore again tried to pull the young man out of his trance, putting a hand on his shoulder. Still there was no response.

"Harry," the Headmaster's voice was a little sharper this time, "Come now, my boy. I know you got quite a shock today but you mustn't shut yourself off".

Harry blinked and stared at Professor Dumbledore as if seeing him for the first time.

"Sir?" he asked.

"Good, Harry," Dumbledore squeezed his shoulder lightly, "I am glad you are back with me again. How are you feeling?"

"He didn't take Severus, did he?" Harry asked urgently.

"No, my boy. Calm yourself. The Minister did not take Severus," Dumbledore took his hand from Harry's shoulder and to Harry's surprise, laid it on top of his own.

"I must say, Harry. I was ever more impressed and proud of you today. You defended Severus admirably today. You saw him as the young child he is and not as the Potions Master you dislike".

"I couldn't let Scrimgeour hurt a baby," Harry mumbled. He looked away, embarrassed.

"That is what makes you the remarkable young man you are," Dumbledore's voice was rich in praise.

Harry continued to stare somewhere over the Headmaster's shoulder.

"Harry," Dumbledore squeezed his hand, "When you lost your temper with the Minister today you said something very important. Do you remember?"

Harry gave him a quizzical look.

"You said, "Do you know what it feels like to be shaken like that?" Perhaps what Scrimgeour did to Severus triggered a memory of a past experience?" Dumbldore kept his tone as unpressing as possible but Harry knew he expected an answer. He took a deep breath.

"When I was little. I don't remember much of it. Uncle Vernon used to shake me a bit. Aunt Petunia, too, if she was angry enough. They didn't like me to play with Dudley's toys. I remember being in Muggle hospital once. My arm was broken. I had used Dudley's toy car. Vernon lost his temper. Anyway, it's over now. It's not important". Harry made as if to get up but Dumbledore stopped him.

"It is important, Harry," he said softly, his eyes full of sorrow, "The fact that you see the violence and ill treatment you suffered at the hands of your relatives as unimportant is something of which I am deeply ashamed. I should have made sure that you were safe, not only from Voldemort but from your aunt and uncle's cruelty. What the Dursleys did to you was appalling. It was very wrong".

Harry found that he could not meet the Headmaster's eyes, which glittered with tears.

"I used to dream that my parents hadn't died," he found himself admitting, to his own amazement, "And when I found Sirius I thought we could live together and that we could be a family. It was stupid, really," again he tried to stamp down his emotions, looking away.

"It was not stupid," Dumbledore put his hand under Harry's chin and forced him to meet his eyes once again, "You have every right to feel that way, every right to grieve for the parents and godfather you lost and every right to be angry with me for the awful situation with your relatives".

The sincerity in Dumbledore's voice was making it very difficult for Harry to control his emotions. It was the old wizard's next move, however, which crumbled the last of his defences. He suddenly leaned forward and gathered Harry into his arms. Harry expected this from Molly Weasley but not Professor Dumbledore. Even though Dumbledore had always helped him, he had usually kept a polite distance between them. The thought that the Headmaster might love him as a son or grandson was something Harry had never thought about. He didn't believe in clinging to hopes like that. Only now, as the thin arms slid around him he dared to think it was true.

Harry had spent most of his life trying to hold back tears hen times were hard. Unusually he had managed it, keeping a tight reign on his emotions or simply getting angry. Now, however, he was unable to keep up his defences. To his utter shame or was it relief, he ban to sob, hot tears scalding his cheeks.

Dumbledore tightened his arms around Harry and one hand directed the boy's head onto his shoulder.

"It's all right," he whispered softly, "Let it out, my child. Let go. Goodness knows it is long overdue. That's right. Shh now shh."

Harry complied, losing the last of his control. He had been unprepared for seeing Scrimgeour treat Severus so roughly. He never thought it would have such an impact on him.

Dumbledore was now rocking him back and forth as if he were a young child, running his hand through his hair. All the while he kept up the soft litanies.

"I am sorry I was not there for you enough," the old wizard whispered, his voice sounding strained, "I should have helped you more but I promise you, I will be here for you from now on. Everything will be fine. My poor child".

When Harry's tears had finally stopped, Dumbledore conjured a warm cloth and wiped his face. Harry looked ashamed.

"Showing emotion is not shameful, Harry," Dumbledore said softly, "It is natural and healthy. It is what makes us human".

Harry suddenly felt exhausted.

"Why don't you lie down here and rest," said Albus kindly,

"I am going to do some paperwork and Severus is sleeping so it will be nice and quiet".

Harry was too tired to protest and was soon lying down. He felt warm blankets being tucked around him. Almost asleep, he felt a kiss pressed to his forehead.

"Sleep well, my dear boy," Dumbledore whispered tenderly and went into his office to work.

Some time later Severus woke up. He hurt! It was dark and no one was with him. The memory of the rough hands frightened him and he cried out.

Dumbledore had been working steadily for over an hour, keeping an ear out in case either of his young charges awoke. He immediately heard the scream and went to Severus's room.

"Severus," he said, "It's all right. I'm here, little one. I'm here".

He picked up the infant who continued to whimper.

"Do you still hurt, my precious?" he asked tenderly, "Madame Pomfrey left me some nice potions to make you feel better. Shh, there there now. It will be all right".

He retrieved the potion and gave Severus a few drops. He felt the tiny body relax. He kissed the dark head and rubbed the small back.

"Whose my best boy, hmm?" he cooed as he swayed from side to side, keeping the baby calm, "Whose my pride and joy?"

Severus nestled closer, feeling safe in the strong arms. Dumbledore heard a small rumble.

"Is it dinner time, sweetie?" he smiled, "Will we get you some nice chicken and potato and gravy. Yes, you like that, don't you? Come now, child. Let's get you changed and we'll see what Dobby has for us".

The process of changing Severus proved to be the next hurdle. The baby was still very frightened and was not going to relinquish his grip on Albus without a fight.

"Severus, child," Dumbledore soothed, "It is going to be fine. I just need to put you down to change you and then I will pick you up again. Shh".

After a lot of cuddles and platitudes, Dumbledore managed to lay Severus down on the changing table. He managed to distract him by blowing lots of multicoloured bubbles out of his wand. They floated all around Severus, who reached his little arms up to them, giggling when they burst.

"There we are now. All nice and clean," Albus lifted the child into his arms once more.

When they returned to the living room, Harry was sitting at the table with Dobby heaping food onto his plate. He was trying to protest but the house-elf wasn't easily swayed.

"Harry Potter is much too thin. Harry Potter needs to eat more". He admonished in his squeaky voice.

"Yes, Dobby," placated Dumbledore, "I think Harry has enough now, however. Perhaps you could bring some dinner for Severus and me?"

"Of curse, sir," the elf beamed, "Dobby will bring dinner for Headmaster Dumbledore and little Master Severus,"

"Thank you, Dobby," Albus smiled and the elf disappeared with a crack. He tried to put Severus in his highchair but quickly realised he was fighting a losing battle.

"All right, darling, I won't put you in your chair," he soothed, putting Severus on his lap and tying a bib around the baby's neck.

"He has been quite clingy since this afternoon," he explained to Harry.

"I don't blame him," Harry replied, "Scrimgeour wasn't exactly the nicest adult he could have met".

"No indeed," the Headmaster patted Harry on the arm, "Did you sleep well, my boy? How are you feeling?"

"I'm all right, sir," Harry said, "Just a bit jumbled up, I suppose".

The Headmaster smiled at the boy's honesty about his emotions.

"Quite understandable, child," Dumbledore softly replied, "It will take time to sort out your feelings".

Harry nodded. He was surprised at how comfortable he now felt talking this way to Professor Dumbledore.

"Perhaps later you might like to play a game of chess?" Dumbledore suggested as Dobby returned with the food.

"Yes, I'd like that," Harry was pleased, "I'm not very good, though. Ron always beats me".

"Yes, Mr Weasley certainly has a talent for it," the Headmaster chuckled, "I may be able to teach you a few things that will help".

"Ba ba ba ba ba!" Severus babbled, spraying out bits of potato.

"You mustn't talk with your mouth full, young man," Dumbledore mock admonished him. The baby laughed and grabbed a handful of his beard.

"Open up, you little rascal," laughed Albus, giving him some more food.

Harry watched the old Professor as he fed Severus and spoke softly to him. It was clear that Dumbledore cared deeply for the little boy and probably the adult Snape too. Harry admitted to himself that Snape must e trustworthy for the Headmaster to care so much for him.

After dinner Harry and Dumbledore played some chess. Severus had been exhausted after the day's events. He had fallen asleep in Harry's arms while Albus had been getting him nightclothes and a bottle. Harry mused that it was a very peaceful feeling, holding a sleeping baby.

"Well, my boy. Your technique is certainly improving," Dumbledore smiled as Harry finally managed to beat him at a game of chess, "I suggest you give Mr Weasley a game when he gets back. He will get a surprise".

Harry smiled at the praise as Dumbledore stood up rubbing his eyes.

"Well I don't know about you but I am rather tired after such a long day. No doubt Severus will wake me early wanting that bottle he missed tonight".

Harry was tired too but he did not really want to go back to Gryffindor Tower. There was no one in his dormitory and though he felt ashamed to think it, he was afraid to be alone after all the memories he had relived.

Dumbledore was watching him intently and when he looked up he saw a look of concern on the old wizard's face.

"Harry, if you don't mind, I would prefer that you stay in my guest room tonight. You had quite a turn earlier and I would rest more easily if I knew you were not too far away".

"Yes sir," Harry tried to hide his relief, "I'll go and get my things and let Hermione know where I am staying".

"Of course, child," smiled the Headmaster.

Very soon both wizards were asleep. Whatever the next day had in store would have to wait.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1227