Solstice by samhaincat
Summary: Harry has trouble coming to terms with Sirius' death and finds himself once again having to take occlumency with Snape. This is the beginning of their growing relationship as Snape starts to see the green eyed wizard in a different light. Snape finds himself being a father figure to both Harry and Draco as the Dark Lord's power grows.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Self-harm, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 109980 Read: 229270 Published: 29 Oct 2006 Updated: 20 May 2007
Chapter 13-fading away by samhaincat
Author's Notes:
What can I say, I had no intention of killing the two that I just killed in this chapter, the two deaths were supposed to be two nameless unknown to us muggle supporters but then my muse kicked in and suddenly their names appeared
You called me strong, you called me weak,
But still your secrets I will keep.
You took for granted all the times I
Never let you down


You stumbled in and bumped your head, if
Not for me, then you would be dead
I picked you up and put you back
On solid ground.

3 Doors Down – "Kryptonite"

"The beating he took is much worse than we thought," Harry said quietly. Hermione frowned, looking at Harry; he looked weary. "Check out his back. I cleaned it, but maybe you can put something on it to help heal it or make it hurt less." With those soft-spoken words, he left.

The first thing Hermione did was put the warmth package up against Draco’s body.

"There, that should help make you feel a little better until I get the potions brewed," she whispered to him. He looked so pale and his light hair very disheveled. His poor jaw was turning a terrible gray-blue colour. She was amazed at how young and childlike he looked without the nasty sneer that usually occupied his face. His breathing was very faint, but laboured. Concerned, she lightly stroked his forehead – he was cold to the touch. She leaned over him, lightly lifting the blanket, seeing that Harry must have removed his cloak and shirt. She gasped as one hand came over her mouth. His back looked as if some vicious animal had attacked him. She shuddered at how much that must have hurt. She wondered if Death Eaters had done it, perhaps as some kind of retaliation against something Lucius might have done. Draco had enemies in school, but she couldn’t imagine any other student hurting him like this, not even Ron, and Ron really hated him.

She gently lowered the blanket again and immediately started brewing potions. Before she had finished, she heard an Alohamora as the door opened. Ron and Professor Lupin entered.

"How is he?" Lupin asked, hurrying over to Draco.

"He’s pretty bad. He can’t breathe very well and Harry said he kept throwing up."

Lupin started to examine Draco’s injuries while Ron went over to help Hermione. "What happened in the village? Did you find out who was killed?"

Ron nodded and swallowed painfully. "Padma and Colin. I don’t know the details, but I think they sprang in to help one of the muggle-born shop keepers and the Death Eaters attention went after them and did the killing curse."

Hermione visibly trembled. She felt sick to her stomach as tears entered her eyes. The war was beginning, and two students had lost their lives. Ron looked extremely shaken. He had once dated Padma. She took a moment to hold him close in a hug. He sighed deeply into her hair.

"How long has he been unconscious?" Lupin asked as he lowered his ear to Draco’s chest.

Hermione let go of Ron. "I don’t really know. Not long, I think. Harry was holding him up when I came in. I think he had thrown up and then fainted."

Lupin spoke with concern etched heavily on his face, "I think he has a collapsed lung and the other isn’t sounding too good either. His condition is very grave. We need Professor Snape."

"Now that the coast is clear, can’t we just go back to Hogwarts and let Madam Pomfrey heal him?" Ron suggested.

"I’m afraid Madam Pomfrey had an illness in her family. She won’t be back for at least a week. Professor Snape was filling in for her."

"Harry’s gone to look for him"

"If he’s not back shortly, we’ll need to get him to Dumbledore. He’ll be able to help, although with today’s events he’ll have his hands full."

Draco gasped as he regained consciousness.

"Bring the vial over here, Hermione, I think he’ll need it."

Draco heard the soft voice; it sounded familiar but he couldn’t quite place it. He slowly opened his eyes, seeing Professor Lupin in front of him.

Granger appeared beside him. She looked at him with concern in her dark eyes. Draco looked away, not wanting attention from the mudblood. He’d already suffered enough pain because of her kind. Lupin held the vial to his mouth. Draco whimpered, "No," and tried to turn his head away.

"It’s okay, Draco. Hermione has brewed up this potion to help settle your stomach. I presume you’d rather not throw up again?" Lupin asked softly. He gently lifted Draco’s chin.

Draco gasped at the sudden pain shooting through his jaw as Lupin dribbled the potion into the side of his mouth. He swallowed, wincing each time.

Hermione left and returned with another vial. Draco shook his head. Tears came unbidden into his eyes as Lupin again forced his chin up so he could get the potion into his mouth. He felt helpless; he hated that he was being forced by scruffy-looking Lupin to take a potion he didn’t want. He swallowed as it ran down his throat.

Lupin got up as Hermione sat down beside him. "That one was for the pain. In a few minutes, all your wounds shouldn’t hurt as much."

A soft sob escaped Draco’s lips as he turned his face into the pillow. He felt himself growing weaker. He was dying surrounded by people he had always considered to be his enemies. No matter how hard he tried to screw his eyes shut, tears escaped and started running down his face into the pillow. "I don’t want to die," he sobbed, not realizing he had whispered it just loud enough for Hermione to hear. Every breath he took burned like fire and his whole body ached.

Pity clenched her heart as she put one arm around Draco and took his hand in hers with the other.

"We’re not going to let you die," she whispered into his ear. His body was tense and she knew how much effort he was putting into not breaking down in front of her.

When Granger took his hand into hers, he clenched it, desperately wanting to feel some warmth, someone who was alive. He knew she didn’t really care about him – how could she after all that he had done? – but he didn’t care. If these were his last moments on earth, he just wanted to pretend that someone did care.

"Remember that day out in the fog? I’ve seen you cry before, so it’s not a big deal. I won’t tell anyone, so don’t worry. Stop putting all your strength into trying to not cry and put it into hanging on till Professor Snape comes. It won’t be much longer now," she whispered reassuringly.

Ron watched the scene closely and made a move to go over, but Lupin gently grabbed his arm. "Relax, Ron, the boy is suffering immensely and he needs some reassurance and comfort. Hermione can best provide that."

A ragged sob tore through Draco as he gripped her hand even harder. Hermione put her face down on his and held him close. "Shhhhh, Draco, you’re going to be okay; we won’t let you die." Lulled by her words and the fact that the pain and nausea were starting to ebb, Draco fell into an exhausted sleep in Hermione’s arms.

Ron, disturbed by Hermione’s reactions to Draco, crossed from the window over to her.

"I know he’s hurt and in pain, but he’s been miserable to you for years. How can you be so nice to him?’

"I know, and you’re right, but something’s changing with him. Harry knows it, too. Besides, even if it isn’t true, he’s seriously hurt, Ron. Look at his back."

Frowning, Ron lifted the blanket, turning pale as he gasped. "Bloody hell! Who would do this to him!"

Hermione shrugged. "Didn’t you make a wish that someone should inflict some serious hurt on him?"

Ron paled. "Well, yes, but not like this."

______________________________________________________________________________

Harry ran back into town. He headed for the Golden Pentagram, but when he got inside it was deserted. He ran to the Three Broomsticks, but it was closed. He pounded on the door in frustration.

"Potter!"

He turned to see Professor Snape leave a crowd of people and head over to him.

Breathlessly he gasped, "Professor."

Snape cut him off. "I’m sorry, Potter, I know it’s upsetting."

Harry narrowed his eyes, confused. "What?"

Snape looked startled. His dark eyes looked into Harry’s intently. "Why are you here? You should be back at Hogwarts with the other students. Didn’t Moody or Tonks escort you back?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I haven’t seen them. You have to come with me. Malfoy is hurt badly. Hermione’s trying to help him. They’re in a cabin by the Shrieking Shack."

Snape’s eyes grew wide with worry. "What happened to him?"

"I don’t know. We think maybe Lucius did something to anger the Death Eaters and they got their revenge through his son."

Snape paled. Lucius. Was it possible that somehow Draco had encountered Lucius? "Lead the way, Potter."

______________________________________________________________________________

Hermione stood back anxiously as Lupin examined Draco again.

"How is he? He seemed to think he was dying," she asked with fear in her voice.

Ron stood back looking at the beaten bloodied body of the boy that had plagued him and Harry since their education at Hogwarts had begun. There had been many times he would have liked to have given Malfoy a real beating, especially after he called Hermione mudblood, endlessly taunted Harry, and insulted his mother, but seeing him broken like this physically and emotionally made him feel sick. He hated to admit it, but he actually felt sorry for Malfoy.

"We can’t wait any longer, I’m afraid. He’s fading fast. A fever has sprung up. I have a portkey and we’re going to have to use it." Lupin looked more weathered and worn than usual.

Just then they heard Harry’s voice: "Alohamora." He and Professor Snape came bursting through the entrance.

Snape’s dark eyes looked anxious and worried. "Remus, how is he?" he asked as he hurried to Draco’s side. His heart clenched, seeing how pale he was.

Lupin shook his head and responded in a quiet voice, "It’s bad, Severus." He hesitantly put his hand on the dark man’s shoulder. "You need to get him back and start treatment immediately, if it isn’t already too late."

A shiver coursed through Snape at his words. In a strained voice he said, "Draco? Draco?" but there was no response from the unconscious boy. Snape examined his ribs and wrist and listened to his breathing.

"His lungs seem to be the most serious problem," he concluded.

"Professor, you should know that I gave him the potion you taught us a few weeks ago – the one against nausea and shock because Harry said he’d been throwing up. I also gave him the pain killer you taught us last year," Hermione explained, hoping she had done the right thing.

Snape nodded absentmindedly. "Well done, but I have to get him back now. I have potions I need to use for his injuries."

He reached down to pick him up. Harry added, "Watch out for his back and he can’t breathe when lying flat." Snape frowned, lifting the blanket to check his back. He gasped when he saw the raw injuries. He realized Lucius’ snake tipped staff must have caused them. He cringed, visibly shaken to the core.

"Professor Snape?" came Potter’s worried tone as though from far away.

He shook his head, blinking rapidly and fighting down the brief moment of nausea from the bitter memories seeing Draco’s injuries had stirred.

He looked into Potter’s worried gaze. "Come over here, take a vial of the potions that Granger brewed, and then hang onto my arm. I’m going to use my portkey back to my rooms. Remus, you’ll bring the other two back?"

Lupin nodded, quietly turning to Hermione and Ron.

Harry took the two vials and put his hand on Snape’s arm. Snape gently cradled Draco’s limp body wrapped in blankets against him then reached for the portkey.

Harry felt the familiar tugging of the port key. In a flash he was back at Hogwarts in Snape’s private rooms, where Snape had taken him after Samhain.

Snape laid Draco on his own bed. He threw aside the warm comforter and lit a fire with his wand. He worked with an urgency that made Harry hesitate to interrupt him and offer his help.

"Potter, can you go to the hospital ward and get me a bottle of Madam Pomfrey’s Skeletheal? Professor Spout should be there to help you find it," Snape barked out the order.

Harry nodded and ran out of the rooms.

While he was gone, Lupin came in with Hermione and Ron. Snape had just conjured up a blanket-sized shining blue sheet covered in what looked like ice. "A blanket of frost. Good idea, Severus, that should help lower the fever."

Lupin went over to help, but Snape’s dark eyes flashed. "I can handle this. All of you leave now," he snarled.

"Severus, he’s at death’s door. You are too close – you can’t do this by yourself," Lupin said in an even tone.

Snape turned with such a look of smoldering fury that Ron and Hermione stepped back. Lupin, however, stood his ground. "If you have any chance of saving him, you need help."

"I have help. Now leave!"

Lupin stared hard at him. Snape flinched but then turned to Draco.

Lupin sighed. "Come, children."

Hermione threw one last glance at Draco. He was gray, his skin covered in a thin sheet of sweat, his hair plastered to his head. She closed her eyes tightly, making a silent wish: Please let Draco live.

She felt so sorry for Professor Snape. She knew Draco had always been his favourite student and she could see how upset he was. Reluctantly, she joined the others in leaving.

Harry came back with the Skeletheal clutched tightly in his hand. He brought it over to Snape, who had been rubbing a strange smelling, thick potion on Draco’s chest. "Potter, help me lift him up."

Draco was limp as a rag doll. Snape brought pillows and propped them up behind him so he would be elevated on top of the blanket of frost. He then measured a glass of Skeletheal out and slowly poured some down Draco’s throat while muttering a spell that seemed to make Draco swallow. He wound tight bandages around his ribs and wrist and held his jaw while the potion started to set the bones back where they should be. With Harry’s help, he lifted Draco forward so he could spread another potion across the wounds on his back. They immediately stopped bleeding and closed up. They also looked less red and angry than before.

Snape laid him down again and listened to his breathing. Not liking what he was hearing, he added another potion down his throat. Snape’s heart started racing as nothing was helping to ease his laboured breathing. The grim reality hit him that Draco may never wake from this vicious beating.

He would never know how much he cared for him and that he would have given his own life to save him.

Despite his utmost attempt, his throat closed and an agony he hadn’t felt in a long time welled up inside of him. He gripped Draco’s hand while his other hand went to cover his face. He suddenly felt Potters’s hand on his shoulder and heard the tentative whisper. "Professor Snape?"

"Potter, GET OUT!"

"But Professor," Harry tried to reason with him.

"GET OUT! If I hadn’t had to spend so much time trying to teach you Occlumency I would have been more aware of what the Death Eaters were up to and this wouldn’t have happened and Colin and Padma would still be with us!"

Harry took a horrified step back. "Colin and Padma?" he asked confused.

Snape’s angry glare lit on him. "They are DEAD as Draco may soon be. NOW GET OUT!"

Trembling badly, his green eyes wide with shock. Harry backed away. Snape somehow blamed him for all that had happened. Had all the time he had spent teaching him Occlumency taken him away from his duties as a spy? Did this mean that because of him he had missed important news that could have prevented the attack on Hogsmeade today? Colin, little adoring Colin snapping away with his camera, Colin who thought of him as a hero. Harry squeezed his eyes shut. Feeling sick, his heart aching, he walked down the dark corridor. It was starting to happen again, more deaths because of him.

Snape swallowed heavily. What had he just said? He had just blamed everything on Potter, and he knew it wasn’t Potters fault. It was his own. He should have been more forceful, more coercive with Draco. He should have made him go to the potions seminar. He thought back to the tiny blond baby Lucius had thrust into his arms, proudly proclaiming his heir. He was so pure and innocent and Snape had felt the urge to protect the tiny tyke. He had argued with Lucius on numerous occasions when he was overly harsh with his words on Draco. He hadn’t realized until Draco was 11 exactly how brutal Lucius could be. Even so, he thought from that point onward Draco would have the sense not to provoke him, but Lucius’ excuses for punishing him seemed unavoidable as he thought back to Draco’s last nightmare.

Did he run into Lucius by accident, or did Lucius contact him? Did Draco seek out Lucius on purpose with some false hope that Lucius’ time in Azkaban had changed him? Perhaps he would never know.

For the first time in a very long time he felt the tears well up as he stroked Draco’s blond hair, willing him to fight.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1229