Solstice by samhaincat
Summary: Harry has trouble coming to terms with Sirius' death and finds himself once again having to take occlumency with Snape. This is the beginning of their growing relationship as Snape starts to see the green eyed wizard in a different light. Snape finds himself being a father figure to both Harry and Draco as the Dark Lord's power grows.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Self-harm, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 109980 Read: 229528 Published: 29 Oct 2006 Updated: 20 May 2007
Chapter 14-AWizard's Comfort by samhaincat
Author's Notes:
Happy Winter Solstice!

"Harry?" Ron called out as Harry swept past him.

He stopped. Ron went over to him as Harry fixedly stared at the floor. He was obviously upset, as they all were.

"How’s Malfoy?"

"Hanging in," came Harry’s rough response.

Ron reached out to touch his tense shoulder. Ron swallowed. "You heard about Padma and Colin?" he asked in a strained voice.

Harry nodded then looked at Ron with haunted eyes. Ron knew that look it was the one Harry had whenever someone mentioned Sirius.

Harry trembled and looked away again. Ron wasn’t sure what to do. All the students were upset about the two deaths. Well almost everyone – there were a few Slytherins who weren’t. Harry looked devastated. Ron wondered if it had brought back all his feelings of loss from Sirius’ death.

"Harry, what’s wrong?"

Harry’s green eyes snapped open angrily. "It is my fault! I couldn’t master Occlumency and Snape wasted time on me and couldn’t spy on the Death Eaters! He couldn’t stop what happened at Hogsmeade!" A tear ran down his face.

Ron looked shocked. "Oh, Harry, it’s not your fault! Come on, you’re sounding totally nutters."

Harry took a deep rasping breath. "Snape doesn’t think so. He blames me."

Ron scoffed. "Snape! Who cares what he thinks? I don’t trust him."

"He’s right." Harry squeezed his eyes shut tight.

Ron grabbed his shoulders, shaking him roughly. "Snap out of it! Snape’s upset because his beloved, precious Malfoy is hurt. He totally lashed out at Lupin, too, who was just trying to help!"

Harry’s hands came up to his face. Ron stopped shaking him and pulled him into a brotherly hug, patting him on the back. Harry’s body shook as a shuddering sob tore through him.

Hermione came around the corner. "Oh good, I was look...." She stopped mid-sentence, staring at them.

Her mouth dropped open and words spilled out. "Draco, I mean he’s not."

"NO," Ron growled. "Malfoy’s not dead, but Snape is blaming Harry for everything that happened."

Harry let go of Ron and sank to the floor wiping his face. Hermione and Ron both dropped down beside him.

"Harry, you can’t listen to Professor Snape. He is very upset about Malfoy and he’s doing and saying things that aren’t rational."

In a tear-laced voice, Harry asked, "How did Colin and Padma die?"

"The Death Eaters performed the killing curse. It isn’t your fault," Hermione whispered, tears entering her eyes.

A shiver coursed through Harry.

"Harry, please don’t blame yourself! This has nothing to do with you. You couldn’t have prevented it." Her heart ached when she looked at his pain-filled eyes. With a sob, she threw her arms around him.

Harry hugged her tightly, his own tears spilling over. He had never allowed himself to really cry into front of the two of them before, but this time he couldn’t stop himself. Ron’s arms went around the two of them.

"Harry?" All three looked up to find Dumbledore standing there looking very grave. They wiped their eyes. "Harry, come to my office, please."

He looked gently at the other two. "Hermione, Ron, please go to the Gryffindor tower. Professor McGonagall will inform you both of the new house rules. There will obviously not be anymore trips outside of school grounds for the rest of the year."

Hermione wiped her eyes again, looking worriedly at Harry. Ron gave Harry’s shoulder a reassuring squeeze before getting up.

Harry stayed on the ground, feeling too miserable to move. "Professor Dumbledore, Draco was..."

Dumbledore cut him off. "Professor Lupin has explained what happened. Will you come with me, please?" He extended his hand.

Swallowing heavily and blinking rapidly, Harry looked up and grabbed the offered hand.

Dumbledore helped him to his feet and then, at a remarkably clipped pace for a man of his age, headed towards his office. Harry felt a growing sense of dread as he followed him. Did Dumbledore blame him too?

As they reached the office’s inner chamber, Dumbledore beckoned Harry to sit.

"I want you to tell me everything that happened today."

"I’m sorry," was all Harry could find to say.

Dumbledore narrowed his eyes. "Why are you sorry, Harry?"

"It’s all my fault. If I had learned Occlumency faster, then Snape could have focused on being a spy and could have prevented Padma and Colin’s death and Malfoy’s beating."

Dumbledore shook his head. "This had nothing to do with you learning Occlumency faster. How can it be your fault?"

"Professor Snape." He closed his eyes for a moment as his head dropped.

"Professor Snape blames you? He actually said it was your fault?" the old wizard asked, disbelief in his voice.

Harry nodded listlessly.

"Harry, listen to me, this is very important. This was not your fault. Not in any way. Voldemort decided to give a little demonstration with a few chosen Death Eaters. As well, he wanted to show that the Dementors are under his control. Unfortunately, two students got in the way and I believe, since they were Hogwarts students, they were killed as a direct message to me. If anyone is responsible, it is myself."

He paused, taking a calming breath. "You must remember that Professor Snape is very close to the Malfoys, and seeing Draco near death is very upsetting to him. However, I must say he needs to keep a tight check on his thoughtless words."

Dumbledore sat beside Harry. "I know you are still very angry with me for keeping things from you. I have deeply regretted those events. That’s why I wanted to talk to you and tell you that what happened today was between Voldemort and myself. You are not to blame. If anything, what happened today is a clear message that you need to continue with Occlumency as soon as possible before Voldemort starts attempting to access your thoughts. I will be speaking with Professor Snape and taking turns staying with Draco."

Harry shook his head. "He won’t leave Draco and he won’t want to teach me Occlumency again."

Dumbledore sat back in the chair as he contemplated Harry. He was pale, looked weary, and it was obvious the events at Hogsmeade had taken their toll on him. Memories of Sirius must have loomed up tenfold. He wondered if Harry would allow him to offer some comfort. He knew that at the end of the last school year Harry wouldn’t have let him – he was too angry, too hurt, and too betrayed. He certainly couldn’t blame him for feeling that way.

The boy sat there staring at the floor, his eyes vacant. Dumbledore put an arm around him. "Harry?"

The green eyes looked up with mixed emotions: a touch of anger, hurt, and masses of despair. He again looked down.

"Come here," Dumbledore said softly, opening his other arm, inviting him for a hug.

For a split second Harry looked apprehensive. He still had mixed feelings about Dumbledore, still partially blamed him for Sirius’ death, but he knew Dumbledore hadn’t done it on purpose. Dumbledore had made mistakes, Dumbledore cared about him, even if it was just because he was the prophesized saviour.

He turned willingly into the warm embrace. Dumbledore rubbed small circles on his back while stroking Harry’s hair with his other hand. "I felt very bad last school year for having to tell you about the prophecy and for not being able to console you over Sirius’ death. I am hoping you will some day forgive me for that and understand that the last thing I intended was to cause you more pain."

Tears welled up in Harry’s eyes over the headmaster’s words. He wrapped his arms around him and sank deeper into his robes to stifle the cry of despair welling up in him.

When Harry’s shoulders started to shake, Dumbledore tightened his hold. "I am so sorry, Harry," he whispered.

The last bit of control Harry had dissolved. "It’s starting again, more people I know are dying and I don’t know how to stop Voldemort. I feel useless and stupid. It’s my fault, I can’t even master Occlumency yet, how am I supposed to stop him?" he blubbered into Dumbledore’s robes.

A moment of anger surged up in Dumbledore when he thought of the damage Severus’ angry careless words had caused.

"You are making progress in Occlumency; Professor Snape has told me that. You aren’t alone, we are all fighting with you on this."

"But the ultimate battle is between me and Voldemort," Harry replied in a tear-choked voice.

"Yes, I’m afraid so." His hand went to Harry’s cheek and gently wiped away his tears.

"Would you like to spend the night here? I’ll transfigure this chair into a bed for you and allow you a spot of Dreamless Sleep potion."

Harry nodded.

Dumbledore created a warm flannel-sheeted bed with a thick wooly comforter. He waited until Harry fell into an exhausted sleep then headed down to Snape’s rooms.

Albus Dumbledore tore the door open to Severus Snape’s rooms angrily, wanting a word with him for once again being overly cruel. The sight that greeted him stopped him in his tracks.

Snape was lying on the bed, propped up against the headboard, cradling Draco in his arms. His dark hair formed a curtain, hiding his face, as his forehead rested on Draco’s blond head. The boy was obviously not conscious, however, the slight rise and fall of his chest reassured Dumbledore that he was still alive.

"Severus?" The dark head came up, the dark eyes wide with suffering.

Every ounce of anger, Dumbledore had felt towards him vanished momentarily. Only one time, many years ago, had he seen Severus in such a state. That was the night he had turned to the light.

"I’ve tried everything, even the stopper of death potion, but I’m losing him," came Severus’ strained voice.

Concerned, Dumbledore stepped closer and went to Draco’s side. "Severus, you need to lie him down on the bed. I’d like to examine him."

The dark head shook. "No."

"Severus, you need to let go of him for a moment," Dumbledore coaxed.

The dark eyes squeezed shut. "He can’t die like this. I need him to know that I care, that I would have done anything to prevent this."

Dumbledore gently put a hand on his shoulder. "Don’t give up on him. Draco knows how much you care about him," he assured him quietly.

Snape shook his head again but slowly got up, gently laying Draco on the elevated pillows.

Dumbledore listened to the pale boy’s laboured breathing, felt his fevered forehead and his faint pulse. His hands hovered over Draco’s chest. He started mumbling strange words that Snape had never heard. A silvery golden orb started forming between his hands. His eyes were closed tightly in concentration. His hands then turned palm down as the orb flattened and sank into Draco’s chest. Breathing hard, Dumbledore sat back.

"What was that?" came the choked voice as Snape’s dark eyes went soft with wonder.

Dumbledore picked up Draco’s hand, holding it warmly in his own. "It is an ancient spell."

"Will it save him?" Hope entered Snape’s voice.

"Severus, I do not want to give you false hope. Whether or not it works depends very much on Draco’s spirit. If his spirit still has enough strength and will in it, this will help him to fight to live. However, I caution you, Severus, if his spirit is too tired and no longer wants to fight, then this will make his transition through the veil gentle and peaceful."

Dumbledore’s eyes were on Draco as he spoke, but the soft sob from behind him drew his attention back to Snape.

He had sunk to the floor, hunched over, his face in his hands, his shoulders shaking.

With a warm squeeze, Dumbledore lay Draco’s hand back on the covers and went to sit on the floor beside his distraught Potions Master.

He remembered how many years ago Severus Snape had been in shock after witnessing the murders of an entire muggle family, complete with young children, by a group of Death Eaters that he had been a part off. He had come to him that night, begging for mercy after collapsing on the cold stone floor. Severus had let him comfort him that night. Severus had proven to be a valuable spy, loyal to the light, however, his own violent childhood and his hard years at Hogwarts as a student had made him a bitter man, never welcoming love, comfort, and barely friendship. He hated being touched and avoided physical demonstrations of friendship, such as hugs, like the plague. After all these years, Dumbledore had never completely been able to bring down Severus Snape’s defenses and help him to become less bitter. His bitter defense shielded him like a kind of armor.

Seeing him so devastated by Draco’s injuries made him realize that love had indeed broken through those defenses. It was obvious that Severus cared about Draco like a son.

Dumbledore’s arm went around Severus’ shaking shoulders.

"I can’t say anything right now that will made you feel better. What happened here isn’t your fault. The Death Eaters wreaked havoc and must not have realized that Draco is the son of a Death Eater."

Snape looked up, his eyes wild. "It was LUCIUS!"

Dumbledore paled and grew quiet for a moment, thinking hard. "I know Lucius is a violent man, but Draco is his son. Why would you think that Lucius did this?"

Snape swallowed hard. "He’s beaten Draco before, but never like this. I don’t know what prompted him to do this."

"Are you sure this was Lucius?"

"Positive."

Dumbledore’s gaze went back to Draco. "We will need to protect him. I won’t allow him to be beaten again."

Snape hoarsely replied, "If he lives."

He sighed, looking at Snape.

"I want you to go into the other room, lie down, and get some sleep. I will stay with Draco tonight. Tomorrow morning, I need for you to talk to Harry."

Snape glanced up at him with a guilty look at the mention of Harry’s name. He quietly asked, "How’s Harry."

Dumbledore’s eyebrow went up and he sternly replied, "After being overcome by incredible guilt, he is currently asleep in my office. Your cruel, vicious accusations have led to Harry feeling worthless. His defenses are virtually nonexistent and he now he has enormous doubts that he can defeat Voldemort. Single handedly, in one night, you have devastated that boy just because you are upset and decided to lash out and take your pain and your frustration out on him. You promised me you wouldn’t harm him!"

The look on Dumbledore’s face made Snape wince and look away.

Dumbledore continued, "Severus, you are an adult and I expect the students, on occasion, to lose control and say hurtful, damaging things, but you have let me down immensely. This isn’t the first time you have taken your bitterness out on the students! You need to learn to control yourself before one of these days you cause permanent damage. Verbally abusing a child is on the same level as physical abuse. Both destroy the spirit and I know you are personally familiar with both. I would have expected better from you!"

Snape inhaled sharply. He glanced up at Dumbledore with guilt heavy in his eyes, then quickly looked away again. He hated to see the disappointment in Dumbledore’s eyes.

"Tomorrow morning you will talk to Harry and you will give him an Occlumency lesson. I expect you to fix the damage you have caused."

Snape shook his head. "I promise I will talk to Harry and make things right, but tomorrow I need to stay with Draco."

"The other professors and I will stay with Draco. If there is any change in his condition we will immediately summon you."

Snape’s dark, haunted gaze lit on Draco.

"Severus?"

"As you wish, Headmaster," Came Snape’s tired response.

"You need to get some rest. This has been an incredible shock for you. I know you are hurting and I will try to do everything in my power to help Draco, but you need to take care of yourself and you need to reassure Harry."

He got up and took Snape’s arm. "Come, trust me, let me help you."

A part of him wanted to tear away from Dumbledore’s grasp, but the other part wanted the help and comfort he offered.

He got up and followed Dumbledore into the other room. Reluctantly, he lay down on the comfortable sofa and Loki immediately jumped up on it. Dumbledore pulled a warm blanket over him. Loki curled up in the crook of his arm, purring loudly.

"Please wake me immediately if there is any change in Draco’s condition. If he…" Snape squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. "If he starts to pass beyond the veil, I want to hold him in those final moments. He needs to feel loved, he’s had so little of that in his life." Snape’s voice sounded heavy.

"Shhh, Severus, I promise I will wake you. But there is still hope. Focus on that as you fall asleep." Dumbledore stroked back the dark hair. "Draco is very lucky to have you in his life."

Dumbledore sat beside him until he fell asleep. Then he went and sat beside Draco, again taking his hand into his own. The boy’s condition was very grave.

He leaned over him. "Come on, Dragon, I know you can fight this. There is a lot of spirit in you. It has always strived for the dark side, but I believe that something has changed and Lucius saw that. You have many people here at Hogwarts who will help you, especially Professor Snape, who obviously loves you like a son. Fight, Draco, please fight."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1229