Solstice by samhaincat
Summary: Harry has trouble coming to terms with Sirius' death and finds himself once again having to take occlumency with Snape. This is the beginning of their growing relationship as Snape starts to see the green eyed wizard in a different light. Snape finds himself being a father figure to both Harry and Draco as the Dark Lord's power grows.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Self-harm, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 109980 Read: 228432 Published: 29 Oct 2006 Updated: 20 May 2007
Chapter 5 - A spot of unheeded anger by samhaincat
Author's Notes:
THanks for the reviews...there's lots more Solstice coming...

Both Harry and Draco awoke the next morning feeling far from well. Harry, remembering his vivid dream, wanted to go see if Ron and Hermione were okay for himself, but Madam Pomfrey threatened to cast a spell that would tie him to the bed.

Draco, mortified that McGonagall had witnessed his nightmare, wanted to go back to his room and reminded Madam Pomfrey that she had said he could today.

"I know what I said, but that was before both of you kept poor Professor McGonagall awake half the night with your nightmares. Mr. Malfoy, I need to consult Professor Snape before I make any decisions."

"You had a nightmare?" Harry asked, looking at Draco with curiosity.

"It wasn’t a nightmare, Potter, just a stupid dream!" Draco responded with hostility.

"About what?"

"None of your business! Why don’t you just go back to worrying about the mudblood and weasel!" he angrily shouted at Harry.

"Draco! If you want to leave the hospital wing today I suggest you behave and calm yourself!" came Snape’s response as he entered the wing.

Harry cringed inwardly. Why did Snape have to keep coming in? He much preferred Professor McGonagall.

"Severus, there you are. Might I have a word with you?" Professor McGonagall entered the room

"I was just going to check on Potter’s condition." Frowning, Snape turned.

"This is important." Minerva stood expectantly.

"Very well."

"Outside."

Looking even more puzzled, Snape followed Minerva through the door.

"Something happened last night that you need to know about. Potter had a nightmare. He dreamt that Hermione and Ron had been killed by Voldemort. He was extremely upset, but I assured him that I had just left Gryffindor tower and that they were both fine. It’s obvious that the Dreamless Sleep potion overdose has started to wear off. One other thing about Potter – Weasley has told me that he had been having regular nightmares before all this happened."

"I had hoped there would be more time. He hasn’t recovered from the accident yet and I doubt he’s well enough for what has to be done."

"What are talking about, Severus? Maybe I can help?"

Snape’s dark eyes glittered as he regarded her thoughtfully. "Perhaps you can. Do you think you can get Potter to open up? To talk about Sirius’ death, his parents’ death, life with the muggles, Cedric’s death, all the bad things and all the guilt?"

Minerva shook her head. " Potter has never confided in me about any of these things. He’s kept everything inside." She frowned. "However, I am willing to try and talk to him."

"Please do. I can’t teach him Occlumency, especially not until he’s feeling better, and most definitely not until he has come to terms with the past."

"Severus, I think you might be the one that needs to draw him out. I think it is well known that you are not one of his favourite professors and therefore there is no emotional connection that may serve as a barrier."

"That may be so, but because he dislikes me so intensely he fights me with everything he’s got to not show anything that he perceives as weakness."

Minerva nodded. "I’ll see what I can do. However, we need to lighten the punishment you have placed on him. While a month’s detention with you is acceptable with me, the only joy that boy has these days is playing Quidditch and I will not let you take that away from him!" Her thin face took on a very stern look as she dared him to challenge her.

"He will be unable to play Quidditch for at least a week anyway, so I propose adding an extra week on to that," Severus stated raising a brow. "I think that is more than fair considering he took out Slytherin’s seeker."

Minerva nodded again. "That is acceptable to me."

Snape made for the door again.

"Severus, I’m not done with you yet."

He frowned. "Now what?"

"I think you need to be aware that Mr. Malfoy also had a nightmare last night."

Snape immediately returned to her side. "Draco? What was it about?"

"I don’t know. He was too upset to tell me, but Severus, I was very worried about him. When he awoke he was almost in a panic. It took awhile to calm him down and to return his breathing to normal."

"When he was having the nightmare, did he say anything?"

Minerva grew thoughtful for a moment. "I believe he said ‘I’m sorry.’ He was in quite a state when he awoke, tears were running down his face and he was shaking. He was rather shocked that I was there."

Snape closed his eyes for a moment.

"Severus? Do you know what that was about?"

He nodded. "Unfortunately, I likely do. I will handle it."

As soon as he reentered the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey cornered him.

"Mr. Malfoy is carrying on that he doesn’t want to spend an extra day in here. I told him you as head of his house would have the final say."

"Thank you, Madam Pomfrey. How is his physical condition?"

"He is almost healed. His shoulder will be a bit stiff and he still needs plenty of bed rest. The dizziness and the headache are gone."

"That’s good news. Draco, before I make a decision I want you to join me for a stroll around the hallways. Do you think you can manage that?"

Draco smiled and put on his robe. He followed Snape out the door with a gloating smile at Harry.

Once they were out of the door, Harry asked Madam Pomfrey when he also might be allowed out.

"Patience, Potter. You aren’t going anywhere until the potion completely wears off and you can keep a couple of solid meals in you without the help of Professor Snape’s tea. You have a long way to go if you could only drink a half cup of broth for dinner."

Harry’s impatience rose. "I can’t get better if I’m confined here all the time."

"Whining, Mr. Potter, will not get you anywhere," came Madam Pomfrey’s sharp reply.

Harry glared at Madam Pomfrey. "I was hardly whining, just stating the facts."

Professor McGonagall entered the room and sat down beside Harry. "Potter, the potion overdose is slowly wearing off otherwise you wouldn’t have had that nightmare last night. Since you are not yet skilled in Occlumency, this situation leaves you very vulnerable to Voldemort’s possession. It places not only yourself but the entire school at risk. I have just had a discussion with Professor Snape. He thinks it is vital for you to discuss all the events in your past and try to come to terms with them so you won’t be so vulnerable to Legilimency. I have volunteered to help, if you will let me."

Harry, fear clenching his heart vehemently, shook his head. "No, I, I ‘m sorry Professor McGonagall, but I can’t, it won’t help, there’s nothing to talk about."

"Okay. Calm down, Potter, it was just a suggestion." Minerva looked at the dark-haired boy in front of her, turning paler by the minute, his green eyes almost pleading for her to understand his desperation for keeping those thoughts hidden. ‘Severus certainly had his hands full,’ she mused.

"Can’t you teach me Occlumency?" he pleaded.

She smiled at him softly. "Potter, you need the best instructor and that happens to be Professor Snape. You need to give him a chance."

With an annoyed sigh, Harry carefully lay back down.

"I do have one good bit of news for you, though. You will only be banned for two weeks from playing Quidditch. However, you will serve a month’s detention with Professor Snape."

As much as his heart lifted at being able to play Quidditch again, it fell when he realized he would be spending every detention for a full month with Snape.

"Harry?"

He sleepily opened his eyes to find Hermione and Ron by his bedside. A huge grin formed on his face as he sat up too quickly, gasping at the pain in his ribs.

"Are you okay? Should I get Madam Pomfrey?" Hermione asked with a worried expression.

"No, no , I’m fine," came Harry’s breathless voice. He leaned over, throwing his arms around her. She carefully wrapped her arms around him. "I’m so glad you two are okay."

Ron smiled. "Professor McGonagall said you had had a bad dream about us and that we could come and visit you."

"I’m so glad you did," Harry said gratefully, smiling at Ron.

Ron reached over and gave him a quick hug too. Harry still didn’t look much better: he was still quite pale and dark shadows were evident under his eyes.

Hermione sat on the edge of the bed. "What exactly did you dream?"

He looked away, appearing uncomfortable.

"Come on, mate, please tell us."

Harry, heart racing, responded slowly. "I dreamt that Voldemort put the Avada Kedavra curse on you." He looked at Hermione. "And Ron, you fell through the veil."

"Oh Harry." Hermione’s eyes filled with tears and she embraced him again. "It’s okay, we’re both fine. You just substituted us for Cedric and Sirius," she whispered.

Harry shook his head. "You’re my friends. Voldemort knows that and he’ll go after you. This could all happen." His voice broke at the end.

"Harry, it’s a chance we are willing to take because Voldemort can’t be allowed to win. If he does, we all die, so we’ll take the chance to live or die trying." Ron smiled then added, "My bet’s on you winning."

Harry couldn’t help smiling at Ron’s words. "I’ll do my best not to let you down."

Ron smiled and hopped up on the other side of the bed.

__________________________________________________________________

Snape walked slowly, keeping a close eye on Draco. He seemed to be able to move with less pain than yesterday although he looked still looked rather pale.

"So, can I go back to my room?" he asked with a hopeful look in his grey eyes.

Snape didn’t answer, as he had a question of his own. "Professor McGonagall told me you had a nightmare last night. What happened?" he asked softly.

Draco’s eyes grew wide and his step faltered. Snape stopped.

Draco’s heart started beating rapidly. "I don’t know. It was just a stupid dream."

"Lucius?" came Snape’s determined voice.

"Um, no, I don’t remember," Draco answered evasively.

"Do not lie to me," Snape said in a gentle tone. He put his hands lightly on Draco’s shoulders and turned the boy to face him. Draco looked everywhere but at him.

"Draco?" Snape’s voice was patient.

His eyes reluctantly lifted to meet Snape’s. "I don’t want to relive it," he said softly.

"Talking about it may help to keep the dream from reoccurring."

Draco took a deep breath. Snape could feel his shoulders tensing. "It’s okay, just go slow."

In a monotone voice, Draco described the scene at Christmas up to the point when Lucius ordered him to his room.

Draco’s voice became more strained and his breaths came quicker. "I had embarrassed him in front of his enemy. I should have just walked away when he started prying. I shouldn’t…"

"Draco," Snape cut him off. "It wasn’t your fault and do not even think of making excuses for Lucius. What happened next?"

"He put a silencing charm on the room, he hit me with his staff," Draco barely whispered. "The end with the serpent. Then he left, insisting I be back out there in a moment. When I was finally able to get up I gulped down the painkiller you had given me just in case. I, I didn’t have anything to stop the bleeding, so I put on a black shirt so no one would see it."

Snape’s heart twisted as he silently wished every dark curse that existed on Lucius Malfoy’s head. "Why didn’t you come to me or at least tell me after the holidays?"

Draco shrugged.

"I want you to stay in the hospital wing for one more night."

Draco looked at him, alarmed. "No, I’m all right now. I want to go back to my own room."

"As head of your house, it’s my decision to make. In the hospital wing you can be monitored. I want to make sure you get good night’s sleep. If you have a nightmare in the Slytherin tower, I know you won’t tell me, but I’m charge of the hospital wing tonight so I’ll know."

Draco’s eyes narrowed in anger. "I wish I hadn’t told you."

"It wouldn’t have made a difference. It was obvious your nightmare was about Lucius. This is for your own good and you’re just going to have to trust me." Snape’s dark eyes bore into Draco’s pale ones.

Draco was too angry to answer. He hadn’t wanted to talk about the nightmare, but Snape had coerced him and now he wouldn’t even let him out of the hospital wing. He felt betrayed.

He turned away from Snape and went back into the hospital wing, slamming the door loudly behind him. He looked up to meet the started gazes of Potty, the weasel and the mudblood, who were all on the bed.

"Potty, you should keep your pets off the bed until they’re housebroken," he sneered, narrowing his eyes.

"If you don’t like it, Malfoy, why don’t you leave, or will you miss me too much?" Harry replied sarcastically.

"Right, I’d miss your crying waking me at night!" he responded maliciously.

Harry froze for a moment as Ron and Hermione both turned to look at him.

"Yeah, that’s right, he was having nightmares about you both being killed. Boo hoo." He faked wiping away a tear.

Harry couldn’t take it anymore; an incredible anger welled up in him. "Well, at least I’m not the one crying my eyes out on Snape’s shoulder!"

Draco went as white as the sheets on his bed.

Hermione and Ron looked at each other, then at Draco, then at Harry. "What?" they both asked simultaneously.

Harry swallowed heavily. "Nothing, I was just angry. I didn’t mean anything by it." He glanced at Malfoy, who looked like a wall of ice water had just hit him. He hated Malfoy for his evilness, but he hadn’t consciously blurted that out. He felt horribly guilty, especially when Malfoy shakily climbed under the covers and turned away from them. Whatever had happened in Snape’s office that day, it had obviously been upsetting for him and he had just made him relive it.

Ron and Hermione were still staring at him confused, so he quickly changed the subject. "So, the good news is that I can play Quidditch again in two weeks, but I have a month worth of detentions with Snape."

Draco couldn’t stop the shivers that coursed through his body. He wrapped the covers around himself. How did Potter know about that day? Humiliation washed over him. How much did Potter know? His heart raced wildly.

"All right children, visiting time is over. Out with you." Madam Pomfrey entered and began shooing out Hermione and Ron.

"We’ll see you again tomorrow, Harry." Hermione hugged him again.

"Glad that you’ll be out on the Quidditch field again." Ron smiled.

Harry felt a bit better looking at the two of them.

"Mr. Malfoy, are you having a relapse? You’re not looking too good." Madam Pomfrey put her hand on his forehead.

"No, I’m okay, just tired," he quietly responded.

She felt his pulse. "Your heart is racing like mad. Does your shoulder hurt? What about your head?"

He shook his head. "I was up walking around, ask Professor Snape. I’m fine."

She nodded. "He said you were but he wants you to spend one more night here just to make sure. I’m worried about your heartbeat. You’re not having a panic attack, are you? Try to take some deep breaths."

He did, hoping that by doing so she would leave him alone.

"That’s a little better, keep doing that. Must have been a little too much activity. I’m going to have to tell Professor Snape not to exhaust you like that again. Try and get some rest."

She left him and went over to Potter.

"Harry, I’m glad you were able to eat most of the bowl of porridge this morning and all of the broth for lunch. If you keep going like that you will be able to leave here ahead of schedule.

Harry smiled with relief.

Once Madam Pomfrey had left the room, the silence enveloped Harry like a cloak. He was still furious with Malfoy for bringing up his reaction to the nightmare in front of Hermione and Ron. He had been so nasty. If only he hadn’t been, Harry would have kept his temper in check. He sighed. That was the difference between him and Malfoy. He felt horribly guilty for what he had said, while Malfoy had just sneered and laughed when he told Ron and Hermione.

A new surge of anger welled up in him. He glanced over at Malfoy. He was on his side facing away from him and, aside from what he had said to Madam Pomfrey, he hadn’t uttered a sound. From what he had overhead, Madam Pomfrey seemed to think he was having a panic attack. Harry closed his eyes for a moment. He didn’t know why Malfoy was crying that day, but Malfoy was obviously freaked out by his knowing about it. He cringed, wondering what Snape would do when he found out that he had lost his temper and blurted it out after all.

As angry as he was at Malfoy, he couldn’t help thinking about what had put him here in the hospital wing in the first place. It was his fault he was trapped here; it was his fault that he had been hurt. He got up very gingerly. The only time he had been on his feet was whenever he headed for the washroom, and even that was with help down the long hallway. He gripped the side of the bed as he slowly made his way over to Malfoy, one arm wrapped around his still aching ribs. He bridged the gap between the two beds and slowly sat down in the chair by Malfoy’s bed. Malfoy’s eyes were shut.

"Malfoy?"

The grey eyes opened and narrowed when he saw him. "What are you doing here?" he snarled at him.

"I wanted to talk about what I said before," Harry explained quietly.

Draco’s heartbeat started to race again but his outward demeanor was cool and disinterested as he sat up.

"I don’t care what you have to say. No one will believe you anyway," he challenged.

Harry smiled grimly. He had expected Malfoy to react with hostility.

"So, you mean if I were to stand in the Great Hall and announce to everyone what I saw, you wouldn’t care?"

A flash of fear reflected in Malfoy’s eyes. Before he could respond, Harry continued.

"I know you couldn’t care less about this, but it was a horrible thing when Cedric died in front of me. Then I lost my godfather." Harry stopped for a moment; the pain of that moment was still so raw it was hard to finish the sentence. "I started having nightmares. I went into Snape’s office one day to steal Dreamless Sleep potion and you happened to be there. I was only there that one minute. I never told anyone. But today when you were so nasty about my nightmare, I lost my temper. I shouldn’t have said anything. I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean to say anything."

A door softly closed.

"If you think I’m going to accept an apology from you, you can forget it! And don’t even think that I regret what I said!" Draco shouted at him.

Harry took a deep breath.

"Just leave me alone, Potter," Draco shouted again.

Anger flashed through Harry’s eyes. "Can’t you just for once stop being the arrogant conceited soulless Malfoy that you usually are! Do you always have to be replica of your father?"

Draco leapt off the bed and rushed at Harry, knocking him and the chair over.

Before he could hit Potter, his arm was grabbed and he was roughly pulled back and thrown on the bed. He was breathing hard, overwhelmed by anger, but he froze when he looked into Professor Snape’s furious gaze. "DO NOT MOVE!"

He watched as Snape gently bent down and helped Potter up.

Harry winced, holding his ribs. For a second, Draco was glad that he had hurt him.

"Come on, Mr. Potter. You shouldn’t have been out of your bed in the first place," Snape said curtly, but he gently helped Harry back into bed.

Harry bit his lip as the waves of pain from his ribs washed over him. When Malfoy had run at him and the chair had tipped over, his ribs had made contact with the hard wooden armrests. A groan escaped him when Snape helped him lay back down on the bed.

"Take a few slow breaths, the pain will lesson in a moment," Snape said calmly.

Draco felt like he couldn’t breathe. He knew Professor Snape used to hate Potter, and yet here he was, taking care of him. Now he’d likely punish him for hurting precious Potter! He couldn’t stand it anymore. He grabbed his robe and tore out of the room as fast as he could.

"Draco, get back here!" Snape yelled after him.

"No, Professor Snape," Harry gasped. "I’m sorry."

"What exactly are you sorry about? I heard you apologize when I was coming in. What happened in here?" Snape’s voice took on a demanding tone.

Harry related what Draco had said to him when he had come back from his discussion with Snape. He explained how angry it made him to be humiliated once again, this time in front of Ron and Hermione. Then, dropping his gaze to the bedspread, he confessed to what he had blurted out and Malfoy’s reaction.

"I really didn’t mean to say that, it just came out of my mouth." He cautiously looked up into Snape’s angry expression.

"You promised me you would never use that against him," he spat.

"I didn’t, or I didn’t mean to, but he was so nasty. I can’t always be the nice guy who just takes everything all the time. Subconsciously, I guess I just wanted to shut him up for a minute. I’m sorry."

Snape took a deep breath then sighed. "I know Draco can try anyone’s patience sometimes, but there are reasons…" He shook his head and stopped mid sentence.

"What kind of reasons?" Harry asked.

"Never mind, Potter. What’s done is done, and now we have to deal with it," he stated firmly, then reluctantly added. "At least you apologized without being forced to." He hesitated. "Thank you for telling me what you did."

Harry nodded. Just then Madam Pomfrey entered with dinner.

_________________________________________________________________

Breathing raggedly, Draco collapsed near the library in an isolated, dark alcove. He pulled his knees up to his chest and rested his head on them. He had never felt so utterly alone. Why couldn’t he have just accepted Potter’s apology? Potter, after all, had accepted his. Why did he goad Potter in the first place? If he hadn’t, he wouldn’t have lost his temper. Why was his life so screwed up? Why couldn’t he have just stayed calm and in control? ‘Like your father?’ came the little voice inside. "No," he whispered, realizing that he had almost acted like his father. He shivered in misery.

A warm hand suddenly covered his own. Startled, Draco looked up into the light blue eyes of Professor Dumbledore, who was regarding him with deep concern. Draco had been so absorbed in his own thoughts he hadn’t even noticed that Dumbledore had sat down beside him.

Dumbledore smiled at him softly. "You don’t have to tell me what happened, but I want you to know that if you ever need me, you are welcome to come to my office. The password is butter beer." He looked at him intently. "I want you to know, Draco, that no matter what you may feel, you are never alone here at Hogwarts."

Draco bit his lip; it was almost as if Dumbledore knew what he had been thinking. He nodded, then, overwhelmed by the caring look in Dumbledore’s eyes, his head dropped to his knees again.

Dumbledore squeezed his hand. "Draco, pain can be lightened when it is shared, but in order to do that you must learn to start showing some empathy to those around you. Think about what I’m saying."

He heard Dumbledore get to his feet. "Now I think it’s time for you to get back to the hospital wing for a bite of supper."

Reluctantly, he got to his feet and followed the headmaster back. He trembled as they reached the door, dreading Professor Snape’s reaction and Potter’s gloating. Just as a wave of bleakness threatened to overwhelm him, Professor Dumbledore’s arm dropped lightly on his shoulders and he heard him whisper softly near his ear, "Remember empathy." As they entered, he felt warm and protected. He glanced over at Potter, who was sitting up eating a sandwich. Snape was standing by his bed glaring at him. Dumbledore lifted up his hand. "Severus, Draco needs a good night’s rest; nothing more upsetting tonight." Snape nodded. A part of him was furious with Draco for his actions, but the other part of him understood that all the bottled up hurt and anger needed to go somewhere.

"I’m going to go to get a bite to eat. I expect you both to stay in your beds. If I find out otherwise, you will spending detention with Filch. Do I make myself clear?" He glared at both of them and was rewarded with two nods.

Dumbledore went over to Harry’s bed, and smiled warmly at him. In a quiet whisper that no one but Harry could hear, he said, "Have patience. Sometimes there’s light in unexpected places." He then turned around and joined Snape in leaving the room.

Draco reached for a sandwich on his tray. He glanced over at Potter, but he was ignoring him. He swallowed. Then, in a quiet voice, he said, "Sorry."

Potter looked up at him, his green eyes wide. He was silent for a minute then, "Okay." They both went back to eating their sandwiches.

_____________________________________________________________

Snape sat in a chair near the door at the entrance of the hospital wing. It was late and both Harry and Draco were sleeping. It had been remarkably quiet when he returned from dinner.

Draco was still sulking for having to spend another night in the ward. He barely spoke to him and it was obvious he was angry. Perhaps he had made a mistake keeping Draco in here. If he had let him go, the scene with Potter would never have happened and he would have been blissfully ignorant that Potter had been in his office that day. Draco had obviously been embarrassed by it, but perhaps after some time, Potter’s apology would sink in and he would realize that his secret was safe.

He frowned slightly, looking at Potter. Sometimes it amazed him how much he was like Lily. He obviously had a temper at times, but he also possessed surprising amounts of compassion. The fact that he had apologized to Draco and then confessed to him what he had told Draco made him see Potter in a different light. He was, however, still furious with him for having lied about talking to Lupin and for having almost killed himself by stealing potions from his office. It would be interesting to see how Potter handled the explanations for those complications.

He looked back over at Draco. He would need to keep a close eye on him. The last thing he wanted was for him to start thinking again about becoming a Death Eater. His worry over Draco kept him from falling asleep, so he got up and settled in the chair beside his bed. The old chair creaked and Draco sleepily opened his eyes. "Shhh, I didn’t mean to wake you."

Draco looked surprised to see Snape sitting in the chair by his bed. "What are you doing here?" he whispered.

"Just wanted to make sure you didn’t have any more nightmares."

Draco shook his head.

"You can go back to your room in the morning."

Draco fell back asleep with a soft smile on his face.

Snape also finally fell asleep.

Draco awoke early the following morning to find Snape asleep in the chair next to Harry’s bed. He sneered in their direction. Saint Potter had everyone at his beck and call – even Snape apparently. He quietly got up and dressed. Snape had said he could go back to his room today, but he wanted to go immediately just in case Snape had changed his mind during the night.

He went into the Slytherin common room, stretched out on the sofa, and stared into the flames.

When Snape woke up, he frowned to discover that Draco had already left. He knew he needed to reconnect with him. Dumbledore had stopped by during the night when the boys were sleeping and had indicated that Draco was feeling very isolated.

Harry moaned in his sleep when he tried to turn on his side. Snape knew his ribs were still bothering him a lot. His eyes opened sleepily and he jumped slightly when he looked up to find Snape regarding him.

"Good Morning. Potter. How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess." He gingerly reached over to the nightstand and grabbed his glasses.

"I need to take some blood from you to ensure the potion is completely out of your system. Once that is proven, Madam Pomfrey can heal your ribs."

Potter’s green eyes widened and he grew paler as he shook his head. "No, I had that nightmare. I couldn’t have had that if it was still in me."

"There could still be remnants because of the large amounts that you took. I need to make sure," Snape said, drawing out the needle and syringe.

Harry crossed his arms protectively. His heart started racing. Snape just wanted to torture him again.

Snape’s eyes narrowed. Potter sat there looking at him defiantly. He’d have to try reasoning with him or, if that didn’t work, force him.

"Potter, I know you had a bad experience last time. If the potion is out of your system, this won’t hurt. If it hurts, I assure you that I’ll stop and we’ll just try again another day."

Harry glared at Snape. He knew that, no matter what he did, Snape would win this battle. He held out his arm, took a deep breath, stared at the wall, and braced himself against the imagined pain.

Snape quickly applied pressure, inserted the needle and withdrew the blood. A slight smile formed on his face as he regarded Potter.

"You can relax now," came Snape’s slightly amused voice.

Harry glanced at him and realized, to his surprise, that he was already holding a vial of blood and it hadn’t hurt at all. In his anger at Snape, he hadn’t even felt the needle go in.

"Make sure you eat all of your breakfast. I’m going to test this and then I need to take care of a few things. Afterwards, you and I are going to talk about how all of this happened," Snape said steadily.

Harry looked away; the last thing he wanted to do was talk to Snape.

Snape tested the blood and discovered that only trace amounts remained in the boy’s system. After Madam Pomfrey healed Potter’s ribs tomorrow, he would be allowed to return to the Gryffindor tower, which meant that Occlumency lessons would need to begin again. Snape grew weary just thinking about it.

He went to the Great Hall for a spot of breakfast and realized that Draco was not there. After eating a few bites and drinking a couple of cups of coffee, he grabbed a tray of food and went to Draco’s room. He found him sitting on his bed.

"You need to eat."

Draco glared at him. "I’m not hungry."

"If you aren’t feeling well you’ll need to go back to the hospital ward," Snape stated curtly.

"Well then, you’ll have to make me because I’m not going on my own!" Draco shouted.

"Draco, what is going on?" Snape asked softly.

He stared at the bed sheets. "Nothing. I’m just a little tired."

Snape sighed. "All right, then get back into your pajamas, climb into bed, eat what I’ve brought you and sleep for the rest of the day. Tomorrow I expect to see you in classes."

He nodded.

Snape left him but as he headed back to the hospital ward he tried to think of a way to reach him. He had distanced himself again.

Harry was just finishing off his glass of pumpkin juice when Snape entered and sat down in the chair beside his bed.

Potter still looked much paler than normal, but it was good to see him eating.

"The potion is almost all gone from your bloodstream. Tomorrow I will allow Madam Pomfrey to heal your ribs and, if it all goes well, you can return to the Gryffindor tower shortly after."

Potter’s face lit up with a huge smile.

"Now, I want you to tell me why you stole and overdosed on Dreamless Sleep potion," Snape demanded in a cold tone.

Harry’s smile quickly faded as he desperately ran through 101 potential reasons in his head.

"And may I remind you that lying to me is unacceptable. If I feel like you are only giving me lies, I will use the Veritaserum on you," Snape stated angrily.

Harry swallowed hard as he remembered that Professor Dumbledore had said he would support the use of the Veritaserum if he didn’t tell Snape the truth. "I’m sorry I stole it from you. I kept having nightmares and then I also realized that with a few drops of it I could block you in Occlumency," Harry replied haltingly.

"Why would you need to block me?" Snape asked with a raised brow. "I thought you and Lupin were making excellent progress."

Harry stared down at his hands feeling horribly guilty.

"No, not enough to block you." Harry looked up into Snape’s expectant dark eyes and, with a horror, the realization dawned on him. "You already know, don’t you?" he asked in a strained voice.

Snape regarded him with narrowed eyes.

"What, Potter? That you and Lupin hadn’t spoken at all? That you stole potion from me so you could fool me into thinking we had made wonderful progress? That you made me look like a fool going to the headmaster and telling him how wonderful you were doing?" He was yelling at him at this point. "Yes, I know about all of your manipulations."

"Sorry," Harry whispered. "It wasn’t meant to be like that."

"Then why don’t you tell me how it was meant to be," Snape growled.

Harry’s heart raced under Snape’s piercing scrutiny. "I couldn’t talk to Lupin," he replied in a voice barely above a whisper.

"So you lied to me instead? Do I have to remind you how important this is? Do you once again want to ignore everything that is important and risk the lives of your friends like you did Black’s?" Snape spat out.

A strangling lump formed in Harry’s throat and he squeezed his eyes shut.

Snape took a calming breath. He had let his anger over Potter lying and stealing from him get the best of him again. Dumbledore’s accusation of being too harsh echoed through his head.

"Black’s death might have been prevented if you and I worked together better. I, for one, do not want to feel partially responsible again, as I’m sure you don’t as well. I think you need to reconsider working with Lupin, or perhaps McGonagall?" Snape suggested, his voice taking on a gentler tone.

Harry shook his head.

"Why not?" Impatience crept back into Snape’s voice.

Harry hoarsely responded, "Because he’s the last of my dad’s good friends. I don’t want him to see me – it would be like my dad…" His voice trailed off.

A surge of pity went through Snape. He realized that Potter wanted to present that brave façade to the last of his dad’s friends. To show all the turmoil he was going through to Lupin would be like letting his dad down somehow.

"What about Professor McGonagall?"

Harry vehemently shook his head. "She’s my head of house. I can’t."

"I know you don’t like me very much and you obviously don’t trust me, but I can promise you that whatever happens it will only go as far as the headmaster."

Harry shook his head.

"Potter, unless you can come up with someone else, I’m afraid you haven’t got much choice. Get some more rest today, visit with your friends. I hear that the rest of the Gryffindors have been clamoring to get in here. Think about what I’m saying. I have to go teach class and we will talk again tomorrow morning." He looked at Potter again but the boy’s head was down and he was once more looking rather pale.

_________________________________________________________________

He wound his way into Dumbledore’s office. The door was open and Fawkes gave a piercing cry, but before he could attack, he reared up behind the startled Dumbledore and sank his teeth deep into the frail neck. The old wizard sank off the chair and onto the floor in a pool of blood. He saw, with an incredible gleam of satisfaction, the light leave Dumbledore’s blue eyes.

Harry woke up with a yell, his scar searing. He clasped both hands over it, feeling horribly ill. He could faintly hear Professor McGonagall’s voice. "Potter, what’s happening? Is it your ribs?"

He retched over the side of the bed then, shivering profusely, gasped, "No, Professor Dumbledore – Voldemort got him!"

"Hush, Potter. I’m certain that Professor Dumbledore is well," Minerva stated.

"No, please go look, please."

She shook her head. "Calm down," she soothed and then left the room for a moment. Harry took the opportunity to shakily put on his robe and glasses.

"Mr. Potter, get back into bed. Professor Snape is going to check."

She pushed him back down on the pillows. "Was this like last time, when you saw Mr. Weasley being attacked?"

Harry nodded miserably, his heart racing. The horrible vision of Dumbledore lying on the floor staring sightlessly just like Cedric. Harry closed his eyes, his hand going to his scar. Professor McGonagall patted his shoulder.

Snape came into the hospital wing at a clipped pace. He was wearing a black robe over what looked like a grey nightshirt.

"The headmaster is just fine. Potter, was this like last time?" Snape asked urgently.

"I think so. Are you sure he’s okay? It was so real, like with Mr. Weasley."

"I assure you that he’s fine, albeit worried about you. Here, take a sip of the tea." Snape held up a vial that contained the tea that he had specially brewed for him from ingredients from the Forbidden Forest.

Harry drank some and immediately felt his stomach settle down, but the pain in his head still made the room spin.

Potter had looked so devastated when he first entered. Snape realized that he was afraid of losing yet another person that cared about him. A pang of sympathy washed over him. He gently applied a cloth soaked with Incentia cooling balm to Potter’s forehead. He looked up to see Minerva with a slightly amused smile on her face, so he quickly sat back and gave Minerva an annoyed glare.

The End.
End Notes:
Please feed the author - reviews are tasty


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1229