Desires of the Heart by Pegasus21
Summary: Snape rescues Harry from the Dursley's and ends up stuck with him as his ward for the whole rather eventful summer. Sparks fly, but Severus ends up seeing more in Harry than he'd ever thought possible.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3660 Read: 7695 Published: 02 Dec 2006 Updated: 17 Dec 2006
Story Notes:

I obviously do not own Harry Potter, as much as I'm sure we all wish we did.

I recently became enamored with this Severus and Harry guardian fics and this is my first attempt. The first one I ever read was "A Time and Place to Grow" which is amazing! I was hooked after that.

My goal is to update at least every two weeks. Sooner if I can. Reviews are appreciated.

Hope you enjoy!

And So It Begins by Pegasus21

Harry Potter shuddered slightly as the train slowed to a stop at the station. This was the part that he hated to the most out of the whole year. When the Hogwarts Express arrived back in London and he was faced with another summer at the Dursley’s.

But now on top of another miserable summer, there was also the fact that Sirius was dead. Tears threatened to choke him. Sirius was dead because of him. And that stupid prophecy. Frankly, Harry didn’t see how he was ever supposed to defeat Voldemort. It was probably going to be Harry who died because seriously, if he was such a powerful wizard, then why couldn’t he even protect himself from his uncle?

He tried desperately to control his breathing so Ron and Hermione wouldn’t notice. Now that they were getting off the train, memories came rushing back at him like dementors ready to suck all the happiness out of his soul. There was a buzzing in his ears that drowned out everything that his friends were saying.

He wanted to draw this out as long as possible, this last little bit where he wasn’t back at the Dursley’s yet, but at the same time, he knew that if he wasn’t there precisely on time, his uncle would take it out of his hide. His stomach roiled and he tried to keep from hurling the little bit of breakfast he’d actually managed to get down all over the ground.

“Write to us mate and maybe we can convince Dumbledore to let you come and visit this summer.” Ron was saying.

“Yeah. Sure.” Harry mumbled.

“Are you alright Harry?” Hermione brushed a lock of his hair away from his forehead. “You’re awfully pale.” Her brow was knit with concern.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

Hermione looked like she didn’t believe him but decided not to push the issue. Ron seemed a bit worried about him as well and Harry tried to put a cheerful smile on his face. “Don’t worry about me. It would be great if I could visit, but I don’t think Dumbledore would let me leave the Dursley’s.”

Ron muttered something derogatory under his breath about Harry’s aunt and uncle. “Well, you let us know if you need something or if they lock you in your room again. Got it?”

Harry nodded, even though inwardly he knew that he would never follow through on that promise.”

He was passed around for hugs from Hermione and all the Weasley’s and then trying to gather his courage, he walked slowly to the spot where his uncle usually picked him up. Nervously clutching his cart and stroking Hedwig’s soft feathers through the bars of her cage, Harry searched for his uncle. Being late was never something his uncle overlooked.

He was starting to panic when the large man was nowhere in sight. His breath was coming in quick pants and his imagination conjuring up all of the punishments Uncle Vernon might inflict. Suddenly, his arm was grabbed in a bruising grip that made him yelp and he was spun roughly around.

“You’re late boy!” His uncle shouted, glaring down at him, his florid face, flushed and splotchy. He looked even more crazed than usual, and Harry’s stomach felt like it sunk down into his shoes. This summer was looking to be even worse than the last, Harry was sure of it.

 


Severus was in a bad mood and cursing Voldemort and Albus Dumbledore. Voldemort because he’d let loose a particularly nasty round of the Cruciatus at the meeting last night and Severus was out of his specially brewed potion for Cruciatus relief, so as a result, left him stiff and sore with his nerves still screaming whenever he moved and a headache from hell.

 

And now instead of being able to retreat to his home to rest in peace, he was headed to deliver Occlumency books to Harry Bloody Potter! Just when he thought he was Potter free, the little brat found a way to come back and bite him in the bum.

Why Dumbledore thought he would need them in the first place Severus didn’t know. The boy had never prepared for his lessons with him, and Severus was sure he hadn’t ever done his assigned reading for Potions. And why was it that he seemed to be the only Order Member who could deliver them? He was ready to believe that Dumbledore was trying to drive him crazy on purpose and picked him just for the hell of it.

Stifling a moan when the wind buffeted his broom, jolting his body, he once again cursed the Headmaster, this time for insisting he take a broom instead of Apparating, and while he could understand the old man’s reasoning, that didn’t mean he had to like it!

He was going to be in and out and woe to anyone who got in his way. Potter had better be beyond silent and obliging or he just might rip the boy apart limb from limb.

The night air was pleasant on his skin and he let his thoughts wander. His weary mind drifted back to last week when he had been leaving the train station after patrolling the train back from Hogwarts for security purposes. He’d been headed to Diagon Alley with a quick stop in Knockturn Alley to replenish some of his potions stores, when he’d caught a glimpse of a woman.

A woman who looked frighteningly familiar. Short, a wealth of chocolate hair spilling down her back and the brief profile he’d seen had for an instant sent his heart racing. But it couldn’t have been her. She was in America the last he’d heard.

Convinced it had been just a flight of imagination, Severus had picked up his frozen feet and resumed his journey to the Apothecary. But for all that his mind had argued and reasoned against it, his skin had still felt prickly like pins and needles.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity to his abused body, Severus, landed his broom in front of Number 4 Privet Drive, scowling as he prepared himself for the unpleasant task of seeing Mr. Harry Potter yet again.

Can’t I go for even a week without seeing the little whelp? Severus thought sarcastically to himself.

Straightening himself up to his full intimidating height, he rapped sharply on the door. He could hear some sort of commotion inside and the slamming of a door. He knocked again, harder this time.

Seconds passed and then a door slammed again. He waited impatiently for another minute just about ready to kick in the door. Finally the door was jerked open and a disgustingly large man stood there glaring at him. At him!

“What?” He barked. “Who the bloody hell are you?” The man asked suspiciously, eyeing his robes with extreme distaste. “You’re one of them freaks aren’t you?”

Severus was not amused by this fat Muggle’s rudeness. He narrowed his eyes and used his most silky, deadly voice when he replied, “I am Professor Severus Snape from Hogwarts and I am here to see Harry Potter.”

“You’re not welcome here. Now get off my property before I have you arrested!” He made to slam the door shut, but Severus was seriously pissed off now.

How dare this stupid Muggle attempt to keep him from Potter! Besides, he was starting to wonder about the quality of the boy’s home life with this toad. He kept the door from closing with a wave of his wand and pushed past the man who was now sputtering with rage and spewing threats.

He noticed a rail thin woman and boy the size of a small cow peeking around the corner, looks of horror on their faces. Severus sneered evilly at them and they squealed, disappearing back in the room they’d come from. When he was grabbed by the arm, setting off his screaming nerves again, Severus spun and dug the tip of his wand into the man’s triple chins.

“If you dare to come near me again, I’ll turn you into the pig you so obviously are.” Severus snarled. “Now, I suggest you stay right here and don’t move, or I won’t hesitate to carry it out. I’ll find the boy myself.”

Despite his dislike, for Potter, Severus was beginning to worry about him. No child should have to live with that lump of lard. He stormed up the stairs, sure that the child would be confined to his bedroom, or more likely retreated there to escape the presence of Mr. Dursley.

The first room was filled with all manner of juvenile riff raff, but no Potter. The next bedroom was pretty bare, but yet again, no Potter. The rest of the second floor turned up empty, so he must be downstairs, but if that was so, then why didn’t he come out when he heard Severus? It’s not like he and Dursley had been whispering. The neighbors had probably heard the commotion.

The Uncle wasn’t where he had left him. Snarling, Severus headed for the first room which happened to be the living room. The women and child screamed at the top of their lungs. Severus scowled and cast a silencing spell. This was not helping his headache!

The kitchen was also empty and now Severus was really worried, because not only was Harry not there, but Dursley had seemed to disappear. He rushed back to the living room and released the two from the silencing spell and demanded,

“Where are your husband and nephew?” Not caring if he had to scare her to death, he pointed his wand at her threateningly when she just stared mutinously. “Or perhaps you would rather I turn your son into a worm and take him outside for a bird to eat.”

“No!” She screamed and the boy tried to hide his huge girth behind her wailing.

“Where are they?” Severus shouted, furious.

“In..in the shed..out back.” She stammered. Severus took off at a run unable to shake the sense of urgency and impending doom.

The first thing he saw was the huge outline of Dursley framing the door of the shed and as he got closer he could hear the angry shouting and the sickening sound of something slapping against flesh, bringing back memories he’d rather have stayed buried.

Furious and snarling he pointed his wand and shouted an incantation that left Vernon Dursley squealing in his new pig body. Landing a harsh kick to the swine, Severus charged into the dimly lit shed and couldn’t stop the gasp that escaped when he saw the curled up form of Harry Potter.

The boy was whimpering slightly, arms over his head to protect himself and knees drawn to his chest in a fetal position. His shirt was in shreds and his back covered with large welts and cuts that had obviously come from the buckle end of the belt that was lying of the floor. His stomach lurched and for a moment he thought he might be sick. How long had this been going on? Shaking off his stupor, Severus quickly crouched down and put a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“Harry.” He said urgently and ended up with a fist in the face as Harry cried out and scrambled backwards into the corner. He was shaking like a leaf and sounded like he was having a panic attack. Then Severus noticed that his glasses were missing. The poor kid probably couldn’t tell who he was.

Standing up, he walked slowly over saying, “Potter. It’s Professor Snape.” When that didn’t seem to register, he hardened his voice into the silky sneer that the boy was used to hearing and said louder, “Potter! Calm down. I’m not going to hurt you but be still!” That seemed to break through and he blinked.

“Professor Snape?” He slurred weakly.

“Yes.” Severus slid his arms under the boy and gently lifted him into his arms. He was much too light and Snape wondered if starvation was another abomination to lay at the Dursley’s feet. Potter moaned and bit his lip, silent tears tracking down his grubby cheeks. Burning rage swept through the Potions Master and he laid a particularly painful hex on the pig that was running around in circles squealing wildly.

They would have to Apparate. Potter needed a Mediwitch as soon as possible and he wasn’t going to subject him to a long broomstick ride. Making sure Potter was secure in his arms, Severus Apparated with a pop to the grounds at Hogwarts.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1248