Desires of the Heart by Pegasus21
Summary: Snape rescues Harry from the Dursley's and ends up stuck with him as his ward for the whole rather eventful summer. Sparks fly, but Severus ends up seeing more in Harry than he'd ever thought possible.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: None
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3660 Read: 7695 Published: 02 Dec 2006 Updated: 17 Dec 2006
Hogwarts by Pegasus21

Poppy!” Severus bellowed as he burst through the doors of the Infirmary. “Poppy!”

She came bustling through a door with a frown, “Really Severus, there’s no need to shout…” She broke off with a gasp when she noticed the boy in his arms. “What on earth happened?”

“Those damn Muggles he stays with did it.”

She rushed over to a bed. “Lay him down here.”

Complying, Severus tried to be as gentle as he could, but even so, Potter whimpered when his back came in contact with the bed. He’d lapse into unconsciousness after they Apparated, but he was still able to feel the pain.

“His back is worse than his front, should we put him on his stomach?” Severus asked briskly. He still couldn’t believe that this was the same arrogant, moody little brat he’d had in class all year. It was inconceivable that Lily’s family could be this horrible to a child and a far cry from the cozy indulgent home he’d pictured.

“Let me check this side first and then we’ll turn him.” Poppy said. She vanished his clothing and gently inspected the wounds that littered his chest.

Severus didn’t realize his hands were clenched into fists so tightly his knuckles were turning white. As Poppy murmured some incantations, she began ticking off injuries. “Three broken ribs, one of them punctured a lung. Severe bruising, and numerous cuts.” She gently levitated the boy into the air and lowered him onto his stomach.

Severus was severely tempted to go back and murder Dursely.

Poppy paled. “Severus.” She breathed shakily. There was no spot left unmarred on his back. Welts, bruises and cuts decorated the skin that had once been pale, but was now mottled angry red, blue, and black. “Will you get me the bruise salve?” The woman asked softly.

When he returned with it, she had dosed the boy with a sleeping and pain potion and was healing his ribs and lung.

“Will you spread it over his back please?”

Nodding, Severus complied.

“I haven’t seen anything this bad since you your…fifth year was it?”

Severus glared, annoyed that she had brought it up in the first place. He didn’t want to be reminded of any similarities between himself and the offspring of James Potter. They were nothing alike!

After finishing, he stood. “I’m going to inform Albus.” Poppy waved for him to go distractedly, intent on healing the child in front of her.

***************************************************************

“Lemon Drops.” Severus snarled and stomped up the stairs into Dumbledore’s office. He could have Flooed, but decided the walk would give him time to expend some of his anger and get his emotions under control. He did not like being reminded that he even had them, but seeing Potter abused brought back too many painful memories of his own childhood.

“Severus, how was Harry?” Albus questioned when he entered. His eyes were more serious than usual and Snape felt his anger rekindle.

“Do you have any idea what those damn Muggle’s have been doing to him?” Severus gritted out. “Right now he’s lying in the Infirmary looking like he lost a fight with a troll!”

He hated that his voice was rising, but couldn’t seem to help it. “If I hadn’t gotten there, I’m not sure he would have lived! Even if he hadn’t meant to kill him, Potter would probably have died of complications from his injuries. He had a punctured lung for Merlin’s sake!” Severus flung his arms as he paced.

Albus closed his eyes wearily looking as if he were in pain. “I had a feeling something was wrong, but I didn’t know what. The poor child.” He looked at Severus. “You said he’s in the Infirmary? Will he be alright?”

“Yes, I think so.” Severus snapped, then massaged his temples with a grimace. His head felt like it was going to explode. “But you can’t take him back to those monsters. You’ll have to find somewhere else for them to go.”

Albus stroked his beard slowly while studying Severus thoughtfully. “Where do you suggest he go?”

“I don’t know!” He said with a dismissive wave. “That’s your department. I’m sure there would be any number of people willing to take in the Great Harry Potter.” He couldn’t help the slight sneer. Old habits were hard to break.

“For safety reasons, he can’t just go with anyone. There’s not many choices. I can’t take him, Remus cannot because he is a werewolf, the Weasley’s wouldn’t be able to keep him safe, Sirius is dead and the rest of the professors here are all either leaving for the summer or are in the middle of various tasks for the Order and would not have time for him.”

“Well there’s got to be someone!” Severus muttered as he paced. He’d had enough; he was going to finishing packing and leave for Whispering Ashes Manor. Before he could announce his departure, the Headmaster spoke.

“I can only think of one person that would have the time and ability to take him and keep him safe.”

“Well, pawn him off to him then.” Severus snapped, but slightly curious as to the identity of said person.

“All right.” His mentor said with gravity, holding his gaze. “Severus, I want you to take Harry for the summer.”

The younger man froze in mid-pace, his obsidian eyes shooting sparks at his employer. “I beg your pardon?” He said hoarsely, praying that he had misheard him.

“I want you to take Harry.”

The seconds of silence seemed like hours and finally Severus bellowed, “NO!” He stomped over to Albus’ desk. “I absolutely, categorically refuse to take him! Are you insane!” He slammed his hands on the smooth mahogany of the desk. “We would kill each other and that would be the end of your plans for keeping him safe!”

“Severus…”

“It’s impossible! We hate each other!”

“Severus…”

“I can’t stand him and the little bugger has tried to make my life hell and hates me just as much if not more than I hate him.”

“Severus, that is enough!” Dumbledore commanded in a voice that would have froze even Voldemort in his tracks and served to remind Severus that underneath his jolly, twinkling exterior, lurked the most powerful wizard of the age who could be very dangerous when it suited him. Severus hated the way it made him feel like a little boy about to be reprimanded.

“It makes perfect sense.”

“It makes no sense!”

“Let me enumerate the reasons why, Severus.” Dumbledore’s voice was all steel. “First, you were the one to save him and you are able to understand what an abused child is feeling and needs more than any other person I know. You will know what he is going through and Harry needs someone to take care of his emotional well being as well as his physical needs.”

“And you think I can take care of his emotional needs?” Severus stared at his mentor in amazement. “I am not a warm fuzzy type of person and I never will be. I’m more likely to do more harm than good for his emotional state.”

“Not if you keep your experiences in mind.” Albus gave him a look that told him to shut up. “Second, you are well-qualified to protect him and the last place anyone would think to look for him would be with his dreaded Potion’s Master.” The Headmaster gave a slight chuckle at that, earning him a death glare from Severus.

“And third, he needs to continue his Occlumency lessons, which would have to be done by you anyway.”

“Can’t we start them next school year?” Severus didn’t like that it came out more as a whine than anything else.

Albus gave him a stern look. “Severus. This is not something to put off. Voldemort is becoming stronger and Harry can not afford to leave his mind unprotected. I expect you to give him lessons and do your best to help him learn it.” His voice was unyielding and Severus knew that this was a command.

Helpless fury spread through his veins. Even from the grave, Potter could still torment him. "Fine." He snapped. "I'll take the brat and I'll give him lessons, but he'd better pull his weight and put some effort into learning. I can't make him learn if he doesn't want to."

"I'm sure that after what happened with Sirius, Harry will be trying his best, but you need to make it a less intimidating environment for him."

"If Golden Boy would keep his nose out of my pensieve's this time, than maybe I would be able to, though Voldemort would hardly be waiting for a comfortable moment for Potter before invading his thoughts!” Severus growled in frustration.

"Severus, you are the adult. He is the child. You need to control your temper and rise above it."

"If he's going to be in my house, then he'll have to obey my rules or suffer the consequences." He was adamant on that point. Severus would not have Potter running wild through his home.

"As long as you don't resort to what he suffered from his family or anything too cruel. Keep in mind his mental and emotional state."

Severus glared at the older man. "I'm not a monster Albus. I wouldn't beat or starve the child." He resented the implication tremendously but denied the flash of hurt he felt.

"I know that my boy. Just try not to hurt him emotionally.”

"Well, what happens when I'm called?” Severus exclaimed, desperately seeking for something to change Dumbledore’s mind. “I can't take him to Deatheater meetings, Albus!"

"He'll be safe at the manor and I'll have someone who will be able to stay there while you're gone."

"Who?" Severus perked up. "Why can't they take him?"

"Have you forgotten the Occlumency so soon?"

Severus sighed. He was screwed, as the Muggle’s put it.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1248