A Mutual Understanding by Lily Elizabeth Snape
Summary: Harry, Hermione, and Draco find they have much in common...their disturbing home lives. Along with a certain potions professor, the three help one another overcome their demons. Hermione's mum's dead and her father blames her. Vernon and Lucius are merciless.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Molly, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 29561 Read: 87092 Published: 01 Jan 2007 Updated: 24 Sep 2009
Cesser by Lily Elizabeth Snape
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I own none of the Harry Potter ideas or characters or plots, or anything else thought up by the amazing author of the series.

Draco, place the tip of your wand over our hands. Lucius,” Snape took a deep, steadying breath, “You will relinquish your parental rights to me and name me sole guardian of one Draco Malfoy.”

I will.”

A wispy reed of brilliant flames wound its way round the pair’s hands. Draco looked up at Severus with tears gleaming in crystalline eyes. This entire ordeal was beginning to make sense . . .

……………………………………………

During the impromptu ceremony, Draco focused on how very shaken the professor appeared. The boy had never seen Severus behave in such a fashion: voice higher pitched, hands fairly shaking, nervous beyond measure.

Severus elicited from Lucius vows of secrecy against Voldemort and the promise never to summon nor torment son and godfather again. He also arranged Lucius’ certain death; the loyal Death Eater would refuse to yield his heir unto the Dark Lord’s service.

Once guardianship scrolls were signed and authenticated, Snape obliviated not only Master and Mistress, but the house elves as well. All traces of the highly illegal potion were eliminated.

The newly liberated pair apparated to Hogsmeade directly after Severus was satisfied with the erasure of evidence. He was having quite the difficult time dampening his anxiety; so difficult, in fact, he supped half a calming draught upon appearing in the balmy, wizarding town’s square. Hastily, godfather pulled son through rarely trodden paths before departing again to the secrecy of Grimmauld Place.

Draco, under a disollusionment charm, crouched breathlessly, painfully, on the far side of a lone holly bush while Severus requisitioned the Potter family cloak. So flushed was the professor’s face, Harry feared he’d have a heart attack. With the help of the Fidelus pair, the not-quite Malfoy arrived unnoticed again in silenced chambers.

“I can’t - How did you – What was that? You’re brilliant! Thank you, thank you, sir!”

Draco stopped shouting and sunk to the floor with a grimace when the professor shot a warning glare in his direction. Hermione, eyes wide and overwhelmed, automatically selected and handed a pain potion to the floor dweller.

Draco looked to Snape for approval, and was surprised to receive it. A bit relieved from the elixir, the boy began again, carefully, formally. “I apologize for my outburst, sir. What can I – I mean, what may I tell them, sir?”

Draco nearly burst with excitement when the professor replied, “For now, let us simply say Draco shall never be forced to endure his father’s violence again. He shall reside with me.”

In a voice akin to a strangled augurey, Hermione forced herself to say, “That’s wonderful, Draco.” She was happy for Draco, but her own situation seemed at once acutely more dismal.

As for Harry, he’d not stopped watching the professor, who was gathering healing necessities with trembling hands.

“And you, sir?” Harry queried.

“What, Mr. Potter?” Snape spat.

Harry was startled at the ferocity in the reply, but this did little to dampen his concern. After all, he was the one who waited up each night for the nocturnally tortured man.

“Are you well, professor? Is there anything you need?”

Severus only grunted, then turned to Draco. His plan could not have gone more perfectly, but he still worried he’d missed something. He also chided himself for not coming up with this solution much sooner, and he hated himself for what he’d done to his beloved godson.

“We need to tend your injuries now, Draco.”

A look that leaked shock and confusion came over the excited boy, still too stunned to have moved from the comfort of the carpeted floor.

“But – but, sir, wouldn’t that negate your punishments this afternoon as well?”

Severus blanched as the boy continued, quite a bit softer, now, “Those were well deserved stripes, sir.”

Snape’s glare flickered quickly to the others in the room. Obviously pondering motivations, Harry was grinding his teeth. Hermione simply burst into tears and ran out of the room.

Pressing down his fear, Harry asked his newest confidant, “Will you be all right if I leave you with - ” He gave a sideways glance to Snape, “If I leave, Draco?”

Mr. Malfoy, however, seemed to have not a clue about the connotation. “Of course! Go after her!”

With a short nod to Malfoy, Potter fled the uncomfortable, puzzling situation without a glance at his professor.

A heavy sigh passed through Snape’s lips as he sank to the floor next to his godson.

“Draco, why do you think your father trusted me so readily today? Has he done so in the past?” he queried, hoping Draco would work it out on his own.

It took a few moments, but the proverbial lumos lit the boy’s mind. “He trusted you today because of the way you –” Draco almost said ‘beat me,’ but he wasn’t certain he was correct, and did not want to risk angering the professor again through such an accusation. He settled on finishing by saying, “ – by your manner toward me.”

“Good,” the elder man said with a firm nod. “Therefore, do you think I wanted to – do what I did prior to dinner?”

Draco searched for the correct answer. Looking into Severus’ eyes at the desperation, hurt, and remorse there, he wasn’t fearful as he replied, “No, sir.”

“Correct. Now, let us see to your healing before Miss Granger has a complete breakdown, shall we?”

……………………………………………

Hermione was barely containing her fury by viciously picking threads from the hem of her frayed jeans. Harry stepped into the room cautiously.

“I wish I had new clothes. What I brought with me is utter crap. I’m sick of it, Harry!” Such venom she put into these words, in lieu of the true cause of her emotional turmoil.

Harry cleverly closed the door and waited for sparks to roar into licking flames.

She continued, never taking her eyes from the fabric. “Of course, that’s a right stupid, petty worry, now, isn’t it. I’ve been the spoilt brat all along, never asking if you needed anything. How do you do it, Harry? How have you done this all these years? Living like this? And you handle so calmly what’s happening with Draco while I’m a total mess!”

She finally looked up with a frantic, haunted gaze. Harry didn’t know which inquiry answer first; or, truly, what she was asking.

He chose to address the most recent situation. “I think there’s something behind Snape’s behaviour. The man is a Slytherin, Hermione, and Draco isn’t upset.”

“There you are again! So calm.” She took a deep breath, concentrating on the in and out. “Will you find out for me?” She failed to keep a desperate, near whinging, tone from her voice. “I can’t go back in there!”

“Of course,” Harry replied, rather relieved to have been handed an escape route. “Will you be all right while I go? Do you want me to get –”

“No,” she dismissed, “I’ll be fine on my own and I want to know what’s happened. If Snape’s hurt him in earnest, I’ll finally have someone on whom I can take out my frustrations!”

……………………………………………

“Come in, Mr. Potter.” Professor Snape put on an exasperated tone after instantly removing several layers of silencing charms.

Harry suddenly realized he had absolutely no idea what to say. Luckily, he wasn’t left long to wonder.

“Do you trust me, Mr. Potter?” Snape asked after some very efficient, complex wand-waving.

Utterly confused, Harry glanced at Draco, who gave him a reassuring look, nodding emphatically.

“Erm – yes, sir,” was Harry’s nearly certain reply.

“Undoubtedly you wonder why I ask. You can no longer be a part of this situation until you have mastered Occlumency.” Snape quickly continued when Harry’s face fell, “Fortunately, if one trusts a wizard accomplished in the field, one may be taught through Legilimency in a matter of moments. You must allow me to enter all parts of your mind so I may assist you in erecting a strong barrier.”

Harry was quite obviously very nervous about accepting this help.

“May I learn, sir?” Draco asked urgently.

“Certainly, Draco. Would you prefer me to teach you first?” Professor Snape suspected Harry would easily acquiesce after seeing Draco’s success.

“Yes, sir! Thank you, sir!”

Harry retreated to discuss the situation with Hermione, who was eventually convinced to witness the demonstration. Of course, she would also have to decide whether to consent to the Occlumency plan, or to remain ignorant of the true circumstances.

Harry could easily guess the outcome of the situation.

It seemed all were in for another spectacularly late night.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1255