Reading the Signs by lyra
Past Featured StorySummary: Harry is hurt and loses his voice. Will Snape help him find it again?
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: Going Through the Motions
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 48501 Read: 385381 Published: 15 Jan 2007 Updated: 16 Mar 2008
Chapter 16 by lyra
Author's Notes:
You know, I never used to understand what people meant when they said they had no control over a story, that the characters took it wherever they wished. That the author was just a vessel. Well.

I started out writing this chapter intend to tie up some loose ends with Dumbledore and move forward into a relatively sedate discussion about the Philosopher's Stone.

That was not to be. Our boys had some emotional release to take care of, apparently.

He knew Dumbledore would be down to the dungeons; it was only a matter of time. As a matter of fact, Severus was expecting a visit as soon as he was finished dispensing of the three attackers. He would not call them students, because for the sake of all involved they'd better not be students any longer.

Sure enough, the headmaster did not disappoint. An hour later there was a knock on Snape's door. Dumblodore must be feeling quite bad if he had suddenly taken to knocking.

Shifting in his chair, Severus called out "Enter". Not greeting his employer at the door would send a message as well - as he meant it to.

"Severus, my boy."

"Albus."

He saw the Headmaster's eyes land on him; saw the look that passed over the old wizard's face in that millisecond before he managed to pull it back.

"I'm surprised you haven't put him to bed yet."

"Are you really? Well, I have my reasons. One, he fell asleep out of sheer emotional exhaustion, not for any real need of going to bed. It is rather early in the evening, even for his age. Two, I haven't been able to get him to release me long enough to even contemplate it."

Again, a flicker behind those normally wise eyes. He added the third point on just for a tiny bit of maliciousness. He did not feel badly about it.

"Finally, Harry is no longer asleep. He woke when you knocked."

No, he hadn't felt bad before he said it, but seeing the realization pass over Albus' face changed his mind. He should have just kept the pretense up, for now Albus knew that Harry would not look at him, couldn't look his former protector in the eye.

"Hello, again, Harry." The Headmaster said gently.

Harry heard the voice, but did not turn. All he did was lift his eyes to his professor's face and tighten his fingers around the bits of robe he had in his fists, as if in question - Do I have to? The silent response came back with a brush of fingers across the back of his neck, relaxing him - No you do not.

"He's listening."

Dumbledore moved forward then words of apology falling from his lips. "I am very sorry, Harry, for all the mistakes I have made. I have made decisions that have hurt you - in more ways than one," he added sadly. "You may not believe me, but I was trying to protect you. But it seems I managed to foul up that job rather considerably. I'm glad you found someone else who is already much better at in than I was."

If Severus hadn't been a practiced Slytherin and Death Eater he would have flushed.

"Sentimentality may work on the boy, but it will get you nowhere with me."

"Clearly." Albus replied with a smirk. It was a frightening sight, and Snape found himself hoping he would never see it again. "I will leave you two to your evening. Once again, I do apologize Harry." He moved forward to rest a hand on Harry's back, and in that moment seemingly released a tiny, growling, beast.

For Harry had turned and launched himself towards the Headmaster in a wild and unplanned attack. He did not succeed in reaching the man, for Severus had him well grasped about the waist and pinned against his chest. Harry kicked and wriggled and howled, but did not get anywhere.

Both men were briefly taken aback, Dumbledore too stunned to do anything but stare, Snape working solely on reflex and instinct. A moment later he regained enough of himself to cry out "Harry stop it! There is nothing to fear here!" But either Harry did not hear him, or he did not care.

Faced with no other choice, Snape took a deep breath and let loose in his sternest voice possible, "Harold James Potter! That is ENOUGH!"

Almost instantly the boy in his arms stopped moving and hung like a dead weight. Severus was secretly glad he couldn't see the boy's face. He gave both Harry and himself another minute to calm down before he set the boy on his feet and turned him around.

Dropping to one knee, the only thing he could think to say to his student was "What on earth has gotten into you?"

He got no real response, only a shrug.

"Look at me." Harry lifted his eyes, but not his head, so Snape reached over and tilted his chin up. "Properly please, with some respect." The boy coloured, but met his gaze 100%.

"I know you don't like being touched, and I gather that the Headmaster now understands that as well. There are very few situations in which 'attack or be attacked' is appropriate, and this is not one of them. No one here --" He was about to say 'No one here is going to hurt you' but that wasn't the truth was it. Potter had been hurt here at Hogwarts. "The Headmaster would never hurt you. You owe him an apology. Go on."

With a slight push Harry moved forward and made his signed apology to Dumbledore. Who was clearly trying not to chuckle at the pathetic sight the boy made in his absolutely honest contrition. He was not able to keep the twinkle from his eye, however.

"I apologize as well, Harry. May we shake on it and call it a truce?"

Snape resisted a strong urge to kick the man himself. One emotion-driven and frankly understandable outburst from a child did not equal the very grave mistakes the ancient wizard had made on Harry's behalf.

Speaking up he said to Dumbledore, "I hope I don't have to call your sanity into question a third time, Albus. Perhaps in the future any decisions about Harry's wellbeing should be given a second opinion by one of the staff members." He knew Dumbledore would read between the lines: Any decision about Harry will now be made with my input.

The headmaster briefly tilted the brim of his cap in concession. You win. Out loud he merely said, "A wonderful idea, my boy." With a sincere smile at his two orphans, he left the dungeons.

Turning back to Harry he knew what had to been done. It would be harsh, and unfair, and neither of them would sleep well tonight, but it was necessary.

Sometimes, to help someone you had to hurt them. He had seen enough of life to know that. He knew where all of Harry's vulnerable spots were and he had enough Slytherin cunning to use that knowledge. Sometimes the ends justified the means.

Pitching his voice just right, he began his lecture.

"I am extremely disappointed in you Mr. Potter." The boy's head snapped back as if he'd been slapped. "Yes, you've been grievously wronged. But do you think you're the only person who's ever been hurt? You're not."

He could see the boy shaking, out of anger or fear, he did not know. His arms were wrapped tightly around his mid-section, in a self-protective hug. Severus knew he was getting somewhere.

"You need to vent your emotions in a more appropriate manner." He continued to raise his voice. "You cannot hurt people because you fear being hurt!"

Harry stared up at him, tears streaming down his cheeks. But then his eyes narrowed defiantly. That's right my little lion, just one more little step...

The boy raised his hand; his mouth was trapped in a silent snarl, and he pointed his finger accusingly at his teacher. All was quiet, but the message Harry was trying to send him was crystal clear. You do. How dare you tell me not to?

And with that he stalked over to the boy to drive his message home. Dropping to his knees and gripping Harry's shoulders he stated slowly and clearly, "I do not want you to end up like me!"

Two more tears dropped heavily down the boy's cheeks, now flushed red with emotion, and he sucked them in through his lips as if he could hide them.

The boy had probably gotten his message, at least superficially, when Dumbledore was still present, but Snape had to be sure. He would not let Harry turn his anger inward, but neither would he allow it to strike out at others. That was the quickest path to darkness.

"You cannot harm people Harry, not because you hurt. You scream, or you cry or you write it down, or you run until your lungs burst. You come to me, that's what I'm here for!"

Harry broke away from him then, wrenching himself out of his grip so hard he fell to the floor and scrambled back like a sand crab. Frustration was written over every inch of his body. Snape watched as Potter pointed to his throat with a growl, clawing his nails down the skin in aggravation.

"I know that makes it impossible, but you can communicate Harry, you can write it down or sign it."

And with that Harry started hurling signs at him. It took him a few seconds to realize what the child was saying. Three words [please] [help] [bad]. He quietly praised himself for studying that blasted sign language book.

"What? What's bad, Harry?"

[Me].

The tightrope that was his emotional state snapped right then, and for a brief moment he found himself back in his childhood home, huddled in the corner. Shaking it off, he moved towards Harry and pulled them both into the armchair nearest the fire.

He settled the boy into his lap easily, as he was as lifeless as a ragdoll. Every flame in him had been snuffed out. He stared ahead through foggy glasses, barely blinking.

Slowly Snape drew his wand and passed it over Harry's throat, healing the scratches there. "When I said you shouldn't hurt anyone, I meant yourself, as well."

Harry did not respond in any way.

He accio'd a quill and parchment and then very, very quietly Snape asked, "Why do you think you're bad, Harry?"

Slowly Harry grasped the quill and wrote 'I must be. Why else would everyone keep hurting me?'

"I don't know Harry, I don't know why they have done what they've done." He paused for a moment and then forced himself onwards. "Have you ever known me to tell lies to spare someone's feelings?"

Harry snorted in a half laugh through his tears and shook his head.

"Well then you will have to believe me when I tell you that these things were not your fault. You may be impatient, and foolhardy, and drive me to madness with your potions work, but you are not bad Harry."

With that Harry turned his face into the man's robes and cried once more. But this time they were not the harsh sobs of anger or fear, but the quiet, resigned ones of a child's grief.

And as he dried the tears of his worst enemy's child, Severus couldn't help but wonder when everything had changed.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1262