Unexpected Choices by LadyRickard
Summary: What happens when young Harry flees from his uncle's house to escape the abuse and neglect?

Simple he runs.... he's found... but of course who finds our little boy, none other than Snape. Will the cold hearted man give in and take the child with him or try to return him to his relatives. Only time will tell.

And wait, what if he does keep Harry, will things be rocky, or will Snape manage to look past the fact this child is the offspring of his most hated class mate, James Potter. With a little time and patience there may be hope for Harry after all.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 7641 Read: 50855 Published: 16 Jan 2007 Updated: 20 Feb 2007
Chapter 6: A Day Out by LadyRickard
Author's Notes:
//Disclaimer: Not now nor ever have I or will I own Harry Potter.//

Warning: Corporal Punishment

Morning came quickly… much to quickly.

The sound of a child crying… or rather screaming could be heard though out the manor. With a deep sigh, Snape drug himself out of the bed and threw on his black robes. “Out out out out out out out ouuuuuut!” Harry shouted as loudly as he could as he clung to the edge of the crib. It’d been a very long time since he’d been in a crib and to be honest he didn’t like it.

“Yes, Potter, I hear you.”

Harry stopped his rant and glanced up at the Potions Master. “Out?” He questioned.

Severus nodded his head and reached out lifting the child from his sleeping area and then gently placed him down on the ground. “Breakfast. Come on, boy.” He said placing a hand behind the child’s head and pushing him towards the door.

Harry stumbled a bit when pushed but quickly recovered and trotted towards the door. Stairs… Oh boy. Once there, he stopped and looked down them. He had remembered doing this at his old house and so he carefully placed one foot on the first step clutching to the railing. Then next foot to the next step and so on.


Snape by passed the slow child and walked into the kitchen. He took his seat and suddenly the food was brought in. “Hurry it up, Potter.” He shouted. A moment later Harry walked in and stood at the doorway.

“Well, come on, boy. Take a seat.” He grunted pointing to a chair.

Harry did as he was told and climbed up into his seat, staring hungrily at the food. Once giving permission the eager child dug in. He had to be reminded to use his fork, but other than that breakfast went well. Once both of them had finished eating Snape rose. "Okay, lets get you in some proper clothes and then we are...." He let out a long sigh before continuing, "going out." He dreaded the idea of taking a small toddler out into the streets of London, let alone the shops in diagon alley.

"Go buh-bai?" Harry asked happily. He was hoping it would be somewhere fun.

Snape decided to ignore the question and continue towards the stairs. He returned with a small black robe and a white cloth. “Okay, Potter… bathroom. Now.” He said pointing to the direction of the down stairs bathroom.

Harry did as he was told and climbed down from his seat and shuffled his feet making his way to the other room. Once there he stood in the doorway. Snape pushed him forward and placed the robe and cloth of the counter. “Clothes off, boy; use the toilet.”

Again Harry did as he was told. He pulled off his muggle shirt, which had been put back on him for sleeping, and then attempted to pull off his nappy. Once off he again tossed it aside. Snape growled under his breath but let it go. He waited as patiently as he could while the boy just sat on the toilet.

“Done.” Harry announced happily.

Severus raised an eyebrow as Harry climbed down. “No, Potter.. you are not done. Now get up there and use the toilet.” He commanded the child. “No. I done, no potty.”

Knowing it was no use arguing, Snape transfigured a new nappy out of the cloth and quickly put it on the boy. Next he helped him put on the miniature robe and then attempted to comb the unruly Potter hair. With no avail he gave up and lead the boy from the bathroom. "Come here, Potter. I want you to understand you do Not leave my side, and you do Not touch anything while we are out. Understood?" Harry simply grinned and nodded his head, though Severus was sure the boy was just agreeing.

After appearing in Diagon Alley, Snape glanced up and down the streets. He sighed deeply then reached down taking hold of Harry's wrist. "Come on, boy."

The child's eyes widened in amazement; the area was busy with people running around in robes hurrying from one shop to the next. Instantly Harry took a step forward, only to be stopped when his wrist was grabbed. His face fell as he pouted, upset that he couldn’t roam around. "Now stay with me, Understand boy?"

Harry simply looked up at the man with a sad look. His shoulders dropped and he slouched over a bit in what might seem as the oncoming of a fit. However the fit never came. Instead Harry followed along side of Snape. "Ice cream!" Harry shouted pointing towards the ice cream parlor with his free hand.

"No." Snape stated bluntly continuing to drag the young boy down the street even as the child tried to protest.

Sniffles could be heard coming from the child all the way to their first stop: The Apothecary.

Snape stopped near the door and turned to face the boy. "Now listen carefully. You are not to touch anything, or wonder from my sight. Is that clear?" He asked very sternly in a low and quiet voice. Harry simply nodded his head as he looked up at the Potions Master. "This is your only warning, boy." With that said the two continued on into the store.

Very new to a child, Harry stood there wide-eyed gazing at all the things. It almost seemed to call to him... 'come play with me' ... 'pick me up'... 'play with me.' The poor boy was fighting between listening to what he was told or listening to what the things were saying to him.

“Hey… Hey…Hey…Hey…” He started chanting hoping to get Snape’s attention. The older man had finally released his wrist moments after entering the store, so he could easily flee but first he figured he’d ‘ask’.

“Quiet, boy!” Severus snapped not bothering to even turn and face the young child.

“What’s that….” He asked ignoring Snape’s command.

However, his question remained unanswered as the man was caught up looking through things not noticing that Harry was indeed asking him something. He slowly moved closer to the shelf, keeping a close eye on the objects. Maybe if he just took one and played with it, he wouldn’t get in trouble, or maybe just not get caught. But then again children don’t really take the time to think things through, so Harry reached out and took hold of a jar of something.

Within just seconds there was the sound of glass shattering. The jar had slipped from Harry’s hands. Severus spun around instantly with a scowl on his face. “Potter!!” He shouted as he reached down taking hold of the boy by the arm and turning him sideways, following through with a solid swat to his bottom.

Still holding onto Harry, Snape leaned down to speak, “I told you not to touch anything. Didn’t I?” He questioned in a harsh and stern tone.

The boy was crying softly as he nodded his head. “Oww…. I… I sowwie…” He muttered.

Almost automatically Snape felt a ting of guilt for his actions. Maybe he shouldn’t have been so harsh, after all the boy was still young. Never the less it was done and over with and the child had disobeyed.

Snape sighed deeply as he signaled to the stop keeper to notify him of the spill then turned back to Harry. “Yes, Potter, I’m sure you are sorry. But next time I advise you obey the rules.”

Harry’s bottom lip was protruding slightly as he sniffled and nodded his head. His hands had already found their way back to the seat of his pants trying to rub, the now fading sting away. Quietly, he inched closer to the Potions Master, his hands still behind his back. Snape had turned his attention to the shopkeeper once more. He offered to pay for the ruined good and then asked for his normal supplies plus a few others be wrapped up.

Once the man had walked off to gather Severus’s order, Harry reached up and took hold of Snape’s hand. Shocked the older man turned his head to gaze down at the young boy. His first instinct was to pull away but he fought it.

Another deep sigh escaped Severus as he allowed the child to hold his hand, he figured at least this way he could keep track of him. Harry looked much more content now than moments ago. Once the shopkeeper returned Snape paid him and took the package in his free hand. “Alright, boy. Lets go.” With that he led Harry back to the streets of Diagon Alley.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry it has taken me so long to update. Between work and being sick, I've been busy. Enjoy!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1264