To live again by Symphonia
Summary: *Oneshot* After the defeat of the Dark Lord, Severus Snape shun the company of others until a visit with Harry Potter made him admit some things and taught him otherwise.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: To live again
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1289 Read: 3218 Published: 24 Jan 2007 Updated: 24 Jan 2007
Story Notes:

I do not own Harry Potter.

I hope you will like this story. Please R&R thanks.

1. To live again by Symphonia

To live again by Symphonia

Severus Snape walked among the tomb stones and did not stop until he found the one he was searching for. It was smaller than the ones next to it. Snape silently read the name engraved on the tomb stone:

Harry James Potter.

Snape smirked at the irony of the situation, such a simple resting place in death for someone who was so extraordinary in life. The only person to ever survive the killing curse as a baby, heralded as a hero before he could even walk, and hated by the Dark Lord above all, for thwarting death six times in all. Yet, all Harry Potter ever wanted was to be normal and to have his family beside him. Nestled between the graves of James and Lily Potter and the empty grave of Sirius Black, in death, the heart’s desire of the Boy who Lived is fulfilled finally. Even Snape himself had expected something a little more extravagant than this. No doubt many would have protested if they had known about this arrangement as the final resting place for their savior.

“This is what Harry wanted.” Remus said coming from behind him with Tonks carrying bouquets of flowers and a basket. “I didn’t think you would come.”

“I am not as reclusive as everyone sees me to be.” said Snape as he made way for Remus to place the bouquets of flowers first on James’ grave, then Lily’s, then Sirius’, and finally Harry’s and went to help Tonks clean up the weeds that were growing around Sirius’ grave.

“Whose idea was it to place Sirius here?” Snape asked gesturing to the tombstones in front of him.

“It was Harry’s. He requested this just before he died. Considering it was commonly known that Harry would not live long, so naturally, the ministry had thought to erect a golden statue of him at the Ministry office and placed his body beneath it, so people can come and pay their respects.” Remus said judiciously while raking the soil around Sirius’ grave.

“And glorifying themselves at the same time.” Tonks chirped in while trying to uproot a particularly stubborn weed, her hair changing color with each yank.

Remus shook his head while his wife just grinned at him. “But the Weasleys, Harry’s friends from his DADA club, and the remaining members from the Order of Phoenix and Hogwarts professors vehemently squashed the idea.” Remus smiled slightly in memory about the uproar that idea had caused.

Remus affectionately patted Harry’s headstone before getting to his feet. “I still remember the look of horror on Harry’s face when Cornelius Fudge proposed the golden statue idea.” Remus said chuckling. “I was surprised that after Harry personally vetoed the idea, the ministry still dared to bring it up to the funeral committee. To be honest with you, I have never seen Minerva McGonagall and Molly Weasley looking so livid. I seriously felt sorry for Fudge then, after all he was only following orders.”

"To be honest, I think Scrimgeour was just asking for it” Tonks added wielding the scissors rather forcefully. “It’s not like he didn’t know Molly was on the committee and everyone knows that she holds Harry’s interests to heart on a regular basis, much less the final request from him.”

Remus spared a glance at Snape who was looking at the view surrounding the cemetery. “It’s a nice place. It was a dear wish of Harry to be buried beside those who loved him best.” After a pause, Remus continued, “He didn’t suffer, Severus, in case you were wondering. But nothing could have saved him, nor did he want anyone to die trying. We even got Draco to try and rile him up. Speaking of Draco, you should go see him sometime, he misses you.” Seeing that his wife had finished her pruning, Remus went to help her gathered up her tools and placed them in the basket.

Nodding good bye to Snape, Remus took Tonks’ hand and walked towards the exit. Pausing to allow Tonks examine a newly acquired bruise on her knee, Remus turned around and said, “You don’t have to hide from the rest of us, Severus. You are welcome back at Hogwarts any time.”

Snape waited until Remus and Tonks were out of sight before directing his attention back onto the headstone. “I guess there is not much difference between you and me, Harry Potter. We were both half bloods trying to find somewhere we belong and shunned by those who did not understand us. We are always alone even when we are part of a group.”

Snape looked up when he felt a summer breeze flutter his robes bringing along the sound of children’s laughter from a nearby field. Snape smiled slightly at the silent headstone before turning his attention to the markers of James and Lily.

“Your son would have been an excellent Slytherin, James Potter. Even though the Gryffindor courage and the Potter blood does flow true in him, you cannot deny that he was more of a Slytherin than Gryffindor at heart. I can honestly say now that if he had chosen to be a Slytherin, I would have loved him as my own.” Snape said lips curling into what could be interpreted as a cross between a smirk and a smile.

“I know you would be proud of him, Lily. I know I am wherever he is.” Snape said as he looked up into the sky.

“Why thank you, Professor Snape, or should I call you Severus since you are no longer a professor.” A voice said beside him. Snape turned his head and was stunned to see the transparent figure of Harry Potter had appeared beside him. “If I wasn’t already dead, I would have probably died from shock at what you just said.” Harry said smilingly.

“I thought you would have moved on already, Mr. Potter. Considering you have taken such pains to make your funerary arrangements and refused all help to extend your life.” Snape sneered annoyed that Harry had overhead what was supposed to be a private confession.

Harry’s ghost shrugged, “Waiting for you to come out of your shell and come visit.”

Snape’s eyes narrowed, “You’re dead, Potter. Why do you care about what I do and don’t do?”

Harry’s ghost pointed a finger at him, “That’s the point. I’m dead and you’re not. So live! Well if you are worried about what people would think of you, then let me tell you something. I have never known a Slytherin who cared about what people thought of him!”

“Enough!” Snape snarled at Harry’s ghost.

“There’s the Snape I knew.” Harry nodded approvingly. “You know,” Harry continued looking up at the sky thoughtfully, “No matter how hard he tries, Draco just can’t seem to intimidate students in potions the way you could. I think his looks has something to do with it, don’t you think?” and looked at Snape with a smile on his face.

“Anyways,” Harry said as he started to fade away, “I just want to say good bye and thanks for everything, Professor.”

Snape watched as Harry Potter’s ghost disappeared into thin air. He closed his eyes to commit every word of their conversation to his memory. Snape opened his eyes when a breath of wind brought the sound of children’s voices again. Turning around, Snape walked to a little clearing nearby looking around to make sure there was no one around, Snape apparated.

When the wrenching sensation of apparition disappeared, Snape opened his eyes to see Hogwarts looming in the distance. Perhaps Draco does need a few pointers on how to be the perfect potions master. Snape thought as he walked towards Hogwart’s gates with his black cloak billowing behind him.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1268