Not Myself Year 2: A Serpent and a Sword by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts for his second year and finds that there are secrets about himself that have been kept. And that there's something new taking up residence in the castle...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 53685 Read: 141922 Published: 01 May 2003 Updated: 01 Jul 2003
Anger, Apologies, and News by Saerry Snape

Harry looked for spiders for days after Hagrid’s hint.  Not finding any with Mika and a rather reluctant Ron’s help, he finally set Jardin to the task.  If the raven could find anything, its would be a spider.  Another reason for this was that they were hampered by the fact that they had to wander about into groups and most of the teachers looked down on two Slytherins walking about with a sole Gryffindor, which highly irked Mika and Harry.

The only person in the school who was enjoying the new aura in the school was Malfoy.  Harry was ready to punch him for the way he kept strutting around the school and almost did in Potions class one day.

“I always thought Father would be the one to get rid of Dumbledore.  He thinks Dumbledore’s the worst headmaster the school’s ever had.  Maybe we’ll get a decent one now.  McGonagall isn’t going to last long….”

Snape swept on by, his eyes flicking to Hermione and Niamh’s empty seats on either side of the room before moving to Harry.

“Why don’t you apply for the headmaster’s job, sir?” asked Draco loudly as Snape went past.

Snape turned and replied in clipped tones, “Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors, Mr. Malfoy.  He will most likely be back with us soon enough.”

“Yeah, right.  I know you’d have Father’s vote if you wanted to apply for the job, sir.”

“That is most – complementing - , Malfoy, but I daresay I would not make as a good a headmaster as this schools current one.”  He sent a warning glance at Harry, who had half-turned on his stool and was sending a furious glare at Draco.  His son relaxed slightly when he saw the warning in his father’s eyes.

Draco went on, “I’m surprised the Mudbloods haven’t all packed their bags.  Too bad one hasn’t died yet.  I wish it was O’Feir…”

Harry snarled in rage just as the bell rang and made an attempt to get at Draco in the scuffle to collect bags and books.  Draco spotted the murderous look on Harry’s face and paled to a chalky white, quickly gathering his things and heading for the door as fast as possible.

Let me go!” snarled Harry as Mika and Ron grabbed his arms.  “I’ll kill him fer tha’!  I’ll kill him, I’ll kill him, I’ll kill him!

“Mr. Potter, come into my office.  The rest of you stay here.  If anyone thinks of setting foot outside my door before I return to escort you to your next class, you’ll find yourself serving detention with me until you graduate.”

Snape grasped Harry’s shoulder and forcibly dragged him into his office, slamming the door shut and casting a Silencing Charm on it.  He then turned and placed both hands on the boy’s shoulders.

“Calm down.  I know your angry at him but that won’t help bring Niamh back.”

“I’ll feel better,” muttered Harry in a low growl.

“Maybe.  For a few moments, at least.  He doesn’t know how to fight with fists.  It wouldn’t be much of a challenge for you.  I know.  I saw what you did to him when he killed Hedwig.  But bloodying him up won’t solve anything and it won’t make you feel any better.  I should know.”

Harry looked up at his father, eyes gleaming with anger as he searched the older man’s face.  After a moment he closed his eyes and sighed.

“Alrigh’.”

Snape smiled.  “Alright.  Niamh’ll be back, Harry.  And Draco’s comment will just keep on coming.  You just have to ignore them.  And him.”

“Its ‘ard though.  On the streets ye fought i’ out.  ‘Ere – ye just let i’ settle and fester.”

“I know.  I grew up on the streets too, remember?  I know its hard but you can do it.”  Snape smiled and added, “You have your mother’s ability to do anything you wish.  Her courage, too.  Pure Gryffindor courage and stubbornness.  And her heart.  You can ignore Draco and his taunts because you are your mother’s son.”

Harry cracked a smiled and murmured, “Na completely.”

Snape caught on and grinned.

“Well, perhaps not completely her son…”

Harry chuckled and said, “Thanks.  Da’.”

Snape wrapped his arm about his son’s shoulder, grinning even more now.

“Anytime, Harry.  Anytime.”

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Harry was walking down the hallway to the dungeons, later that day when he ran into someone.  Looking up, he found himself face-to-face with Ernie Macmillian, the Hufflepuff who had compared him to Draco in the library.  Ernie shifted nervously for a moment, his eyes never really focusing on Harry’s face, then finally spoke.

“I-I’m sorry I ever thought it was you, Harry.  I know you’d never attack Niamh O’Feir, let alone Hermione Granger.  I-I apologize for all I said.”

Ernie held out a shaking hand and after a moment, Harry took it.  He quirked a smile and said, “All fergotten, Ernie.  An between yer an’ me, I’d ‘ave suspected me meself.”

Ernie grinned nervously and asked, “Really?”

“Really.”

Ernie grinned even more and bubbled, “Thanks, Harry.  I’m really glad its not you.”

Harry arched an eyebrow and asked, “Why?”

“Well, you can be awfully scary, y’know.  Sometimes ever more so than Snape.”

Harry gave a small snort at that.

And, you know all those curses and stuff.”

Harry’s face fell now.  Reference to his hobby (one of them, anyway) reminded him of Niamh, his partner in that particular area.  Ernie realized what he had said a moment later.

“Oh.  I forgot.  Sorry…”

Harry waved a hand, a gesture he had picked up from his father.

“Doan worry abou’ i’, Ernie.  Ni’ll be back soon enough.  An’ so’ll everyone else that’s been Petrified.”

“But…”

Doan worry abou’ i’.

“Alright, Harry.  See you.”

Harry nodded.  “Righ’.  See you.”

Ernie smiled slightly then walked hurriedly off.  Harry stood looking after him for a few moments then turned to head down to Arx Serpens.

< Harry! >

Hell’s bells…  Jar?

< Who bloody else? > remarked the raven as he dove through an open window and landed on Harry’s uplifted arm.  He walked down his arm until he reached Harry’s shoulder, where he puffed up his feathers and began to preen a wing.

Find anything?

< ‘Find anything’ he says.  You ask me to find spiders.  I found them.  Great golly big spiders.  Acromantula’s.  I hate acromantula’s.  Brute’s they are. >

Probably because you eat their cousins.

< Hmphf. >

Harry smiled and stroked the raven’s feathers, noting that tiny pieces of web were stuck to part of them.

Where did you find them?

< Where else would you find an acromantula around here?  The Forbidden Forest, of course. >

Did you talk to them?

Jardin stopped preening his wing and turned his head so one pale eye glared into Harry’s.

< I told you.  I cannot speak with other magical creatures besides those of my own kind.  Had I the ability to speak out loud, I could, but as I do not, that is impossible. >

So…

< So, > said Jardin, turned back to his wing.  < You’ll have to go talk to them yourself.  I suggest tonight.  The sooner the better. >

Harry nodded and asked, Can you go get Ron for me?

< Certainly.  Would you like a cup of tea while I’m at it? >

Jar…

< Sorry.  I just tend to be a little sarcastic after I nearly get eaten by a giant spider.  Perhaps you should try it sometime. >

I will.  Tonight.

Jardin turned his head to look at Harry with one pale gold eye and said, < I hope you know what you’re doing, Harry. >

“So d’ I,” muttered Harry as he headed for Arx Serpens and Jardin flew off to find Ron.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1281