Not Myself Year 2: A Serpent and a Sword by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts for his second year and finds that there are secrets about himself that have been kept. And that there's something new taking up residence in the castle...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 53685 Read: 141932 Published: 01 May 2003 Updated: 01 Jul 2003
Quidditch, Insane Bludger’s, and the Second Victim by Saerry Snape

“Soooo, now what?”

Niamh looked at Hermione, who was sitting beside her.  They were outside by the lake, sitting with their backs to an oak tree.  Ron had nervously joined them – if you could count being dragged along by Hermione as joining.

“I don’t know,” said Hermione.  “Who could it be?”

“Who could who be?”

“The one who opened the Chamber.”

“Ohhhhh.”  Niamh frowned and continued, “Well, who would be attempting to scare all the Muggleborns out of Hogwarts?”

“Malfoy,” said Ron.  “You heard him: ‘You’ll be next, Mudbloods!’

Malfoy?” said Niamh skeptically.

“Well, it could be.  Isn’t he always boasting that his entire family has always been in Slytherin?”

“Yes.  We got treated to a good round of that last year.”  Niamh sighed heavily, remembering.

“Soooo,” said Ron, “they could easily be Slytherin’s descendants, passing down the key to the Chamber of Secrets for centuries!”

Niamh shook her head.  “Maybe.  But still…Malfoy?

“What abou’ Malfoy?”

The three of them looked up to see Harry standing there.

“HARRY!”

Don’t do that!

Harry grinned and threw himself on the ground beside Niamh.

“Do wha’?”

Niamh punched his shoulder lightly and growled, “Sneak up on us!”

“I was’n sneakin’.  I was walkin’.”

Niamh punched him again while Hermione shook her head.  Harry grinned again then asked, “So, wha’ were yer all talkin’ about?”

“The possibility of Malfoy being the Heir of Slytherin,” replied Hermione.

Harry’s eyes brows shot up into his hair.

Malfoy?  Ye must be jokin’.”

“That’s what I said,” said Niamh peevishly.  Hermione frowned at her then looked back at Harry.

“No.  It could actually be him.”

Harry gave her an unidentifiable look then began to laugh.  He shook his head and said, “I – doan – think – so – Mione.”

“And why not?” asked Hermione hotly.

“Well, fer one t’ing, its Malfoy.  ‘E could’na ‘urt anyt’ing.  Fer another…bloody ‘ell, Mione, this is Malfoy we’re talkin’ about!  Are ye insane?”

“Actually,” said Ron, “I suggested it might be Malfoy.  He is a Sly…”  His voice trailed off as Harry, Niamh, and Hermione fixed him with frowns.  “Nevermind.”

“Yeah,” said Hermione dryly.  She turned to Harry and said, “Where have you been lately, Harry?  We haven’t seen you much since last Saturday.”

Harry shrugged.

“‘Ere an’ there.  Ni’s seen me.”

“Actually, I haven’t, Harry.  You’ve been awful sparse in the common room.”

“I’m workin’.”

“Oh what?” asked Niamh and Hermione simultaneously.

Harry shrugged again and replied cryptically, “A potion.”

Niamh rolled her eyes and said, “You and your potions.  Don’t you ever get tired of them?”

“No.”

“God, I swear.  You and Professor Snape are like two peas in a pod.”

“What?” asked Ron.

“Muggle saying,” sighed Niamh, Harry, and Hermione.

“Oh.”

Anyway…what’s this new potion?”

Harry shrugged and replied, “Nothin’.  I’ve go’ Jar tryin’ ter st – er, borrow some ingredien’s from Professor Snape’s stores.”

“Is that wise?” asked Hermione.  Harry looked at her for a moment then shifted and rose to his feet.

“Goo’ poin’.  I’ll see yer all later.”

With that he walked off, leaving the three of them sitting under the tree.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

The next day…

“Ow.”

“Still hurting?”

Harry rubbed his neck as he and Niamh walked out of Defense.  He had been forced into acting out a scene between Lockhart and the Wagga Wagga Werewolf.  Of course, he was the werewolf.

“Yeh.  Git.”

“I totally agree with you, mate.  But here’s a question.  How how how did he defeat a werewolf?  I mean – they’re what? – ten times stronger than us plus they have those claws.  And! no human emotions.”

Harry looked at Niamh, still rubbing his sore throat, and said, “Goo’ point, Ni.  Ye should point tha’ out next class.”

“An excellent idea!  Oh, don’t you have Quidditch practice?”

BLOODY ‘ELL!!

Harry dashed away, running full out for the dungeons.  Niamh shook her head after him and followed at a much slower pace.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Two days later…

“Harry, I don’t care who the Gryffindor Seeker is or if you know them.  I want you to get that Snitch.”

“Alrigh’.”

No matter what.

“I GE’ I’, FLINT!!”

Harry scowled furiously at Flint then grabbed his Nimbus 2001, which had been the talk in the Great Hall that morning at breakfast.  The rest of the Slytherin team was armed with Nimbus 2000’s, given to the team by Lucius Malfoy in hope that Draco would become the Seeker instead of a Seeker.  As they walked out onto the field, Draco grabbed Harry’s arm and hissed, “Break a leg, Potter.”  Harry scowled at him and threw off his hand.  He snapped, “Sod off, Malfoy,” then followed the first team out as the reserves dragged Draco away.

“Let’s go, Potter!”

Harry jumped onto his broom and kicked off into the air.  As he flew past Fred, he got a wink from the twin.  Grinning halfway in response, he flew up to hover in front of the other Seeker, a Gryffindor fifth year he didn’t recognize.

“So, your, Potter.”

“Yeh.”

“Weird accent.”

Harry narrowed his eyes at the Gryffindor and drawled, “Well, ye grow up on th’ streets and yer accent wou’ be weird too.”

“Jeez, no wonder you’re a Slytherin.”

Harry snarled and looked down as Madam Hooch released the Snitch then blew her whistle.  He kicked the Nimbus forward and shouldered past the Gryffindor, pushing him aside.

“Hey!”

“Idiot,” growled Harry as he nosed his broom upward so he could get a good view of the field.  Suddenly a Bludger rocketed past him and he rolled to avoid it.  Bole rushed past him and yelled, “You alright, Potter?”  Harry nodded as began to look for the Snitch again as Bole whacked the Bludger down towards Wood.  But then the Bludger changed direction and came back towards Harry.

“WHOA!” yelled Bole, as he had to duck to avoid the Bludger taking off his head.

Harry saw it coming and turned the Nimbus downward, going into a steep dive.  He looked back over his shoulder and cursed when he saw the Bludger following him.

“Damn, damn, damn, damn.  Damn.”

Bole chased after him, yelling at the other Beater.  “Abram!  Get over here!  This ruddy Bludger’s gone mad!”  Derricks held his bat up in the air and hovered, waiting for Harry to pass him.  As Harry blew past, he whacked it hard in the direction of the Gryffindor Seeker but it just circled back to have another go at Harry.

“What the…?  What’s wrong with this thing!”

“If I knew, I’d tell ye,” yelled Harry back over his shoulder as he circled back past Derricks so he could have another shot at the Bludger.

“Gryffindor lead, eighty points to zero…”

Harry cursed and said, “Abram, David!  Ferget the sodding Bludger!  I c’n ‘andle it!”

“Are you mad, Potter?  That thing’ll kill you!” yelled Derricks.

“I hope na,” muttered Harry.  He then yelled, “Jus’ go!  If ye doan ge’ back ter the game we’re gonna lose!  I c’n ‘andle the Bludger.  Now GO!

“Alright!” yelled Bole and the two of them shot away from him, leaving him alone.

With the crazy Bludger.

Harry weaved around a Gryffindor Chaser and began to lead the Bludger on a runaround trip around the pitch.  He could just hear Lee Jordan’s voice in his ears as the wind rocketed past.

“And Potter is making a round-about route around the pitch.  It seems one of the Bludger’s is following him…”

Harry ignored the voice and shot down the field, turning sharply as he reached the Gryffindor goals.  The Bludger shot past him, as it was heavier and couldn’t turn as quickly.  Harry spun and went back through one of the golden hoops, making Wood jump and yell after him.

“That wasn’t funny, Potter!”

“I’ was’n meant ter be!” shot Harry back as he flew on.

“Nice moves.  For a Slytherin.”

Harry looked up at the Gryffindor Seeker as he shot past.  He was angry enough to curse the older boy but then he noticed something else.  The Snitch was hovering about a foot above his head.  Which he didn’t see because he was following Harry.

Grinning ferally, Harry drove upwards, getting ready to dive.  He saw the Bludger coming after him and paused for only a moment to get his target.  Then he dove.

Straight for the Gryffindor Seeker.

“AHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

The boy yelped and stared up in horror as Harry shot down at him, not bothering to move.  Harry shook his head mentally and kept his eyes on the Snitch where it hovered.  As he rocketed downward, the Gryffindor Seeker turned upside down as Harry blew past.  When he righted himself he yelled, “What the fuck was that, Potter?!”

Harry flew past him, holding up his hand.  In which the Golden Snitch was nestled.  The Seeker cursed and Harry grinned.  Then something slammed into him and sent him hurtling towards the ground.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Harry!  Harry!  C’mon, mate, wake up.”

Someone was shaking him and yelling in his ear.  In a very familiar manner.  Harry opened his eyes and looked up into Niamh’s wide blue ones.

“‘Lo, Ni.”

“You fall fifty feet from a broomstick from being hit by a possessed Bludger, break your arm, and all you can say is ‘Hello’?”

“Er – yeh.”

“Harry, my friend, your insane.”

Harry grinned up at Niamh, who grinned in return.

“C’mon, c’mon!  Let me through.”

Harry groaned.  “Na ‘im.  Anyt’ing but ‘im!!”

“Harry, just hold still.  I’m about to fix your arm.”

NO!” yelled Harry and Niamh at the same time.

“It’ll just take a moment…  Very simple charm….”

“Can’t I jus’ go ter the Hospital Wing?” asked Harry.

“He should go to the Hospital Wing,” snapped Niamh, tightening her grip on Harry’s sodden Quidditch robes.  It had just started raining.  Harry could see Bole, Derricks, and the Weasley twins all teamed together to wrestle the rouge Bludger into a box.  It seemed to be putting up a terrific fight.

“Stand back,” warned Lockhart.

Niamh yelled, “DON’T YOU…”  Her voice trailed off as Lockhart waved his wand and pointed it at Harry’s arm.  A strange sensation started at Harry’s shoulder and traveled all the way down to his fingertips, feeling as though his arm was being – deflated?  He didn’t dare look down after he heard Niamh’s gasp of horror.  He did however smile when Niamh began to yell at Lockhart.  However, he didn’t have much to smile about, as he could no longer feel his arm.  It no longer even felt like an arm.

“What the – MOVE OFF, ALL OF YOU!”

Snape came charging through the crowd, eyes widening as he saw Harry.  He then turned to Lockhart, who was still being yelled at by Niamh.

“Miss O’Feir.”

Niamh stopped in mid-yell and turned towards Snape, her face turning a shade of pasty white.  “Professor!  I – I…”

“Nevermind, Miss O’Feir.  If you wouldn’t mind moving away from Mr. Potter’s head.”

Niamh moved and Snape swept Harry up into his arms, earning a few surprised looks.  He stalked through the crowd, Niamh trailing behind him.  Harry looked down at his arm as Snape carried him up to the castle.  From inside his sleeve dangled what looked like a rubber glove.  He sucked in a breath as he realized what Lockhart had done.

The idiot hadn’t mended his arm.  He had removed all the bones.

Harry slowly went over the scenario of cursing Lockhart into oblivion in his head as Snape, who was muttering under his breath, rushed him up to the castle.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

As they entered the Hospital Wing, Madam Pomfrey took immediate notice of them.

“Severus?  Mr. Potter!  What on earth…?”

“Lockhart,” growled Snape, his grip on Harry tightening.

“WHAT!  Who let him – nevermind.  I don’t want to know.”

“Ye c’n regrow me bones, can’t ye?” asked Harry.

Madam Pomfrey smiled at him.  “Of course.  But – it will be painful.  You’ll have to stay the night.”

Harry moaned.  “Na again….”

Snape smiled inwardly.  It seemed his son had inherited his dislike of the Hospital Wing.

“Sit him over there, Severus.  And put these on him.”

Snape looked at the pajamas sitting on the bed then back to Harry, who was looking up at him.  He nearly choked as he looked into those familiar green eyes but managed to keep his composure.  Letting Harry drop to the floor, he grabbed the pajamas and handed them to the boy, drawing the curtains around the bed.  He had to pull the limp arm through the pajama sleeve.  Meanwhile, he also got a good look at the scars on his son’s body.  Wincing inwardly, he wondered where they all were from.

Madam Pomfrey and Niamh came around the curtain, the matron holding a large bottle of something called Skele-Gro.  Snape winced outwardly at the sight of the stuff.

“Oh, so you do remember this, Severus.”

Niamh and Harry looked at Snape, who narrowed his eyes at Madam Pomfrey.

“Yes, Poppy, I do remember when you used that – stuff – on me.  Now, if you will excuse me…”  With one last glance at Harry, his son, Snape stalked out of the Hospital Wing.

Harry looked after him then took the steaming beaker that Madam Pomfrey held out to him.  He downed it in one gulp and sputtered as it went down.  Madam Pomfrey walked off muttering about inept teachers and Niamh took up a perch on the end of Harry’s bed.  They talked a little about the match then Madam Pomfrey bustled Niamh off, leaving Harry alone with the pain in his arm.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“You carried Harry off the field, did you not, Severus?”

“Yes, Albus.”

“Which must have been a strange sight.”

“The cruel Potions Master carrying a student off the Quidditch pitch?  Oh, yes, it must have been rather shocking.  I’m not surprised the entire student population didn’t faint and half the staff didn’t have heart attacks.”

Dumbledore chuckled.

“They simply do not know you as well as I do.”

Snape snorted and moved one of the chess pieces.

No one knows me as you do, Albus.”

“Not even Lily?”

There was a moment of silence then dark eyes met blue.

“Lily’s dead.”

“Not for you, Severus.  As long as Harry’s around, she’s still alive for you.”

“I know.  He has her eyes.”

“And your temperament.”

“Yes.  What a burden for the boy.”

“When do you plan to tell him the truth?”

“I don’t know, Albus.  I really don’t know.  I – I thought about not telling him.”

“That sounds rather like something your father would have done.”

“Damnit, it does, doesn’t it?  I swore I’d never be like that bastard.  And I won’t.  I’ll tell him.”

“Good, good.  I saw the boy’s broom.  From you, I presume?”

“Who else?”

Dumbledore smiled and moved a chess piece.

“Check.”

“Oh, no.  You aren’t going to win this game, Albus.”

“Albus!  Albus!

Dumbledore looked around the board at Snape and said, “I think neither of us is going to win this game, Severus.”

Snape nodded.  “Yes.  This is the – what? – fourth game Minerva had interrupted?”

“Seventh.”

“I should hex her.”

McGonagall suddenly burst into the office, her hair escaping from the tight bun she wore it in.  From the way she was panting, she had obviously run up the moving staircase.

“Albus – Severus…”

“What is it, Minerva?” asked Dumbledore.

“Its- happened – again,” breathed McGonagall.

Snape and Dumbledore exchanged a look then Dumbledore turned back to McGonagall.

“Lead us.”

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Harry awoke later that night to the pains in his arm.  And also something sitting on his chest.

“Jar?”

No.  Not Jardin….

Dobby!

The house-elf jumped backwards.

“Harry Potter come back to school.  Dobby warned Harry Potter.  Why didn’t Harry Potter go home when he missed the train?”

Harry sat up abruptly, sending the house-elf sprawling.

“How did ye know I missed the train?”

Dobby wrung his hands together and Harry’s eyes narrowed.  He hissed, “I’ was you!  Ye stopped us from getting’ on the train!”

“Yes, sir.  Dobby sealed the gateway and had to iron his hands afterwards.  When Dobby heard Harry Potter had returned to Hogwarts, he burned his master’s dinner.  Such a flogging Dobby got…”

Harry glared down at the house-elf and growled, “Ye nearly go’ Ron, Niamh, and me expelled.  Ye’d better ge’ out o’ ‘ere before my bones come back or I’ll strangle ye.”

“Dobby gets death threats five times a day at home, sir.”

“Dobby’s goin’ ter get abou’ five more if ‘e doan ge’ out of ‘ere.”

Dobby sniffed and blew his nose on a corner of his filthy pillowcase.  Harry sighed and asked, “Why do ye wear tha’?”

“This, sir?  It is a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir.  Dobby can only be freed if his masters present him with clothes.  The family is careful not to pass Dobby even a sock, for then he would be free to leave their house forever.”

He then looked up at Harry and cried, “Harry Potter must go home!  Dobby thought his Bludger would make him do that.”

“This is me home!”  Harry blinked.  “‘Old on.  Yer Bludger?  Ye made that Bludger try and kill me?”

“Not kill, sir!  Never kill!  Dobby only wanted Harry Potter to be sent home!”

Hogwarts is me home, Dobby.  I doan belong anywhere else.”

Dobby bounced up and down on his feet and cried, “Harry Potter must go home!  He means so much to the lowly dregs of the magical world!  Harry Potter was a light of hope for those of us who thought the Dark days would never end…  Now terrible things are happening at Hogwarts.  Dobby cannot let Harry Potter stay here now that history is about to repeat itself, now that the Chamber of Secrets is open…”

“So there is a Chamber!  Where is i’, Dobby?”

The house-elf shook his head frantically and smashed himself over the head with a silver plate on the bedside table.  Harry grabbed the elf’s bony shoulder and shook him.

“Who opened i’ before?  Tell me, Dobby!”

“Dobby can not, sir!  Do not ask any more!”  Dobby’s big green eyes looked up in Harry’s face as the elf said, “Harry Potter must not be here when the dark deeds planned happen.  Harry Potter must go home.”

“I’m na goin’ home!  Two of me frien’s are Muggleborn!  I can’na leave them!”

Suddenly there were footsteps outside the Hospital Wing and Dobby disappeared with a loud crack.  Harry threw himself back under the covers, eyes watching the doorway.

Dumbledore backed into the room a few seconds later, carrying one end of what appeared to be a statue.  Snape appeared carrying the other end, McGonagall trailing after them.  The two men heaved it up onto a bed then Dumbledore whispered to McGonagall, “Get Poppy.”  Harry lay quietly, his eyes just peering over the top of the blanket.  Madam Pomfrey and McGonagall appeared a few minutes later.

Madam Pomfrey whispered, “What happened?”

“Another attack.  Minerva found him on the stairs.”

“He looked like he was coming up here.  To visit Potter most likely,” said McGonagall.

Harry frowned and pushed himself up so he could see.  The ‘statue’ was Colin Creevey.  Harry gasped and Snape looked in his direction.  The professor looked at him for a moment then turned back to the still figure on the bed.  He reached out and pried Colin’s camera out from where the boy had obviously had it held up in front of him.

Pomfrey looked at Dumbledore and asked, “You don’t think he got a picture of his attacker, do you?”

Dumbledore shrugged slightly as Snape opened the back of the camera.  Harry could smell the burnt plastic from where he was.

“Melted,” said Snape.  “All of it…”

“Albus, what does this mean?”

“It means that the Chamber of Secrets is indeed open again,” replied Dumbledore solemnly.

Pomfrey gasped while McGonagall looked at Dumbledore in shock.  Snape simply looked down at the broken camera in his hands.

“But…who, Albus?”

“The question is not who, Minerva.  It is how…”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1281