The Owl and the Puppydog by Gillian
Summary: Sequel to Mine and Snape's Vocation, where Sirius Black returns to Hogwarts.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Mine
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 10246 Read: 26974 Published: 27 Feb 2007 Updated: 27 Feb 2007
Part Four by Gillian

Snape heard the headmaster out, listening politely until the end. He waited a beat while the old wizard sat back in his chair with a sigh.

"That's quite a story," Snape finally said. "Could have used a pirate though. Maybe I've been around Harry for too long, but a story just doesn't seem the same without a pirate."

"I get the feeling you're not taking me seriously, Severus," Dumbledore said mildly.

"I'm taking you very seriously," Snape protested. "I'm just not sure what I'm expected to do about this fairy tale." He grimaced. "I gather you believe it."

"I do."

"I thought so." Lips twisting derisively Snape turned it all over in his mind. "I suppose it does make a kind of sense, looking back. Just the kind of asinine thing Potter and Black would do, isn't it? Risk everything on some fool hunch." He rolled his eyes. "Idiots."

"They have paid for it," Dumbledore pointed out.

"We all paid for it," Snape shot back. "And we were innocent, Harry and I."

Dumbledore only stared at him for long moments. "Innocent?"

"Well," Snape conceded. "Harry anyway. He paid most of all."

"Which is why Sirius has come forward now. Broken out of prison, given himself up..."

"Kidnapped Harry, scarred him for life," Snape continued conversationally. "Did I mention he's developed a morbid fear of large dogs?"

"Severus, really," Dumbledore chided. "I saw Harry riding Fang down to Hagrid's hut just this afternoon. He was holding him by the ears and shouting gee-up! Young Frobisher from Hufflepuff summoned his camera so quickly it nearly crashed through a wall. The boy seems to have gotten past his fear pretty quickly." Dumbledore took a deep breath. "Which is probably just as well really."

Snape glared at him. "Oh, no," he said in disbelief. "Tell me you're not thinking of letting Sirius Black roam around here in his Animagus form?"

"Not roam around, no."

"But you are planning on letting him stay here? Near Harry?"

"Near Hogwarts actually," the headmaster began.

"Absolutely not," Snape interrupted loudly. "No way on earth will I let that man-"

"Because I'm not sure he wants to be near Harry now as it happens."

"-anywhere near my son. I-" Snape broke off. "What did you say?"

"I said I don't think Sirius is quite so concerned for Harry as he was."

"What on earth are you talking about?" Snape said in astonished tones, then his brain caught up and he scowled fiercely. "Oh wait, I get it. You mean he doesn't care about Harry now that he knows the truth about him, correct? Now that he knows Harry is my son?"

"I'm afraid so," Dumbledore admitted sadly.

Snape's mouth worked for long seconds as he attempted to form words vile enough to express what he was feeling. It proved impossible so he settled for those he could find.

"That arrogant, elitist, Gryffindor, prick!" he shouted, setting birds outside the window exploding from their perches in the trees. "How dare he! How dare he?"

Dumbledore surveyed his engorged face with curiousity. "But surely, Severus, this is good news?"

"Ready to throw his life away for Precious Potter's son," Severus seethed trough gritted teeth. "Kiss from the Dementors - why, certainly - for Perfect Potter's loathsome little sprog! But not for my son, oh no!"

"Severus, do calm down,' Dumbledore implored, beginning to look really alarmed. "Don't make me throw water on you."

"Oh, I'm calm," Snape bit out. "Deadly calm." The red flags burning on each sallow cheek belied that statement, but at least the veins had stopped popping in his forehead, and his teeth were no longer grinding quite so loudly. "It's my own fault," he continued bitterly. "For letting myself forget the kind of man I was dealing with."

"Well, to be fair it must have been quite a shock to a mind already weakened by years of confinement," Dumbledore said reasonably.

"Weakened!" Snape sneered. "That's a kind way of putting it."

"But I'm sure that given time he will come to terms with it and put it in its proper perspective."

"No, no," Snape said maliciously. "You were right, headmaster. This is the best thing that could have happened. Harry doesn't need or want that twisted, Gryffindor psychopath in his life. Let him find something else to fill his useless days until the Ministry catches up with him and administers the punishment he so richly deserves."

"He's innocent of the crimes he was accused of," Dumbledore gently reproached him.

"The crimes they accused him of," Snape said grimly. "I could add a few to the list."

"So it won't bother you if he stays on the grounds?"

"Why should it?" Snape said carelessly. "What's one more animal around the place?" He glanced at the clock and made a polite grimace. "Now, if we're done here, headmaster, could you show yourself out? I have an owlet to help feed."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1282