The Owl and the Puppydog by Gillian
Summary: Sequel to Mine and Snape's Vocation, where Sirius Black returns to Hogwarts.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Neville, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Mine
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 10246 Read: 26972 Published: 27 Feb 2007 Updated: 27 Feb 2007
Part Five by Gillian

Harry laughed joyously as his owl fluttered clumsily from one palm to the other, twittering and peeping persistently as it did.

"He did it!" Neville crowed. "He's going to be the best owl ever!"

"He already is," Harry said firmly, cupping both hands around the small creature proudly. "Look, his downy bits are almost gone and his dappled feathers are coming in. Hagrid said he's a Little Owl and that he's gonna be really smart and fierce."

"Maybe you can train him to be an attack owl?" Neville said breathlessly.

"Have you named him yet?" Snape asked, looking up from his papers. He kept one hand on them firmly as the cool March breeze played around them. It was a little early for sitting by the lake, but the day was so beautiful and blue that Neville and Harry had begged to eat out here and feed their tiny pet in the fresh air.

"Harry wanted to call him Mr Bunnsy," Neville giggled, covering his mouth with one hand.

"Did not," Harry said, cheeks reddening. "That was only an idea."

"It's a rabbit's name," Neville chortled.

"A speckled rabbit," Harry reminded him. "And my owl's going to be speckled. And Mr Bunnsy is pretty cool, and my owl is the coolest owl ever."

"It's still a rabbit's name," Neville chuckled.

"Anyway," Harry said repressively. "I'm still thinking of the perfect name. Hagrid is going to help. He said that the Little Owl is also known as Athene and that would make a good name. It sounds a bit sissy to me."

"It is hard when you don't know if it's a girl owl or a boy owl," Neville conceded a trifle apologetically.

Harry nodded. "What do you think, daddy?"

"I think you have plenty of time," Snape said absently.

"Look, there's Mr Lupin," Neville pointed back towards the castle. "He might have an idea." The boy stood up then shrank back onto the bench. "Look at the big doggie he has with him," he said nervously. "That's not Fang, is it?"

Snape looked up with a frown and twisted on the bench. Immediately a paper was whipped away by the wind and deposited on the ruffled surface of the lake. "Bugger!" Snape swore, although not at the errant paper now sinking with blurred ink beneath the waves. He could care less if one of his odious students had to sit the test again. He was swearing at the sight of the huge dog padding softly along by Remus Lupin's side as he made his way down to the lake shore.

"It's too big to be Fang," Harry frowned, looking a trifle nervous himself.

"It looks like that big dog that carried you away that time," Neville said, drawing his feet up now. "Doesn't it, Harry?"

Snape quirked a malicious smile as he waited for Harry to recognise the beast and set up a clamour. Would someone else hear? Would the Ministry be informed? How terrible if Sirius Black were hauled away and killed horribly because he had the gall to walk out here in broad daylight before one of his victims?

"No," Harry said firmly. "That dog was much bigger. And its eyes were yellow and its fur was all matted and gross and stuff."

"Bugger," Snape said again with a sour grimace.

"Hello, boys," Lupin called as he approached at a leisurely pace. "Severus. Enjoying your lunch?"

"Whose dog is that, Mr Lupin?" Harry asked curiously.

Snape studied the animal in question with disappointed curiosity, not surprised Harry didn't recognise it. It had obviously been ruthlessly bathed and clipped to within an inch of its life. Its teeth were white and its nose a moist healthy black. Even its claws were neatly trimmed and gleaming white. Most incongruous of all it sported a large blue bow around its neck, wide satin weave glimmering in the bright sunlight.

"My new pet, Harry," Lupin said, not meeting Snape's eye as he stood before them. "Do you like him?"

Harry grimaced a little nervously but held out one bold hand for the dog to sniff. It bent its massive head and Snape could hear the two boys hold their breath as it sniffed and snuffled the boy's small paw. Then it extended a long pink tongue and licked the slightly grubby hand wetly.

"Ooh!" Harry squeaked in delight. "He licked me!"

"He's not seeing what you taste like, is he?" Neville said nervously.

Lupin chuckled. "My dog doesn't need to eat little boys, Neville, he gets plenty of good food from the house elves." The tutor patted the smoothly trimmed head fondly. "He's especially fond of steak and kidney pie."

"Me too," Harry said. He checked the door on his owl's little cage was shut tightly, then slid off the seat and approached the huge animal fearlessly. "Hello, dog," he said. "I'm Harry. What's your name?"

The dog wrinkled its nose and then proceeded to sniff Harry again, beginning with his hair which was just on a level with his own head, and then descending to his neck and his arms. Harry squirmed and giggled under the snuffling assault.

"He's an awfully snuffly dog," he chuckled and Neville forgot his fear at the sight and slipped down to join him. The dog began to sniff the other boy too, mouth opening and long tongue lolling. He looked like he was grinning.

"Funny you should say that, Harry," Lupin said. "That's his name. Snuffles."

Snuffles stopped snuffling and slowly twisted his massive head and stared malevolently at his 'owner'. If looks could kill the tutor might have found himself a ghost on the spot. Snape felt some of his own outrage trickle away and deliberately snorted in amusement at the animals discomfiture.

"Snuffles!" Harry said in delight, beginning to pat the beast around his neck and ears. Neville joined in and the dog turned back to them and began to wag his tail at the firm pats and delighted scratchings.

"He likes it!" Neville said, rubbing behind one ear.

"He likes me," Harry said, closing one eye and half chuckling, half grimacing as a huge tongue swept his cheek once more.

"You know," Lupin said deliberately, meeting Snape's eyes for the first time. "I rather think he does."

Snape clenched his fist on the papers in his grasp and gritted his teeth. Somehow, somewhere, he had the feeling he'd been hoodwinked.

And he didn't much like it.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1282